HOB Dallas 4/14

Tell the world about your concert experiences.
Will
Still Remains

Re: HOB Dallas 4/14

Post by Will »

PHOTOSHOPPING IS FOR SCHMUCKS

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

AB23 wrote:I'm so pissed. There's about 200 VIPs so no way I'm getting the rail. But I heard soy check and they played calm the fire broken wings come to life and the uninvited so far
AB23 wrote:Drunk as balls paid 20 bucks to a random dude to get in the front of the line lulz
LOL

Glad it all worked out for ya.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

They played calm the fire betches

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AB23 wrote:They played calm the fire betches
Yay! First time they played it in 2014. Along with the main three live songs, that's it for the Fortress songs?

Anywho, so how's the rest of the show?

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

K so i went there with my buddy, and monster truck came on. they all had these long beards and long hair and looked like they belonged in the duck dynasty but they were awesome. best opener, besides sevendust, that i've ever seen them with. they played 2 songs where i thought "wow, they made that?" Anyway here's my review. I guarantee you I butchered the order of the songs

AB opened with with AtP, then played white knuckles (myles did his little hand raise thing in the bridge) then come to life. Come to life was the best I had ever heard it. Tempo was perfect. Might have been the first time I had ever heard it not sped up. Then they stopped and talked to the crowd about how this was the first official stop and how much dallas meant to them and that it showed it by how fast every show in Dallas sells out so fast. Then I think it was BTC, which was also pretty good. But then came my favorite part. Myles asked the crowd if we had bought fortress, then he was like and how many of you stealin motherfuckers downloaded it off youtube and laughed and said its okay I get it. Then he was like, well if you've heard the new album you probably recognize this one. Then he played Achilles.

I think Brand New Start was after that? Something like that. It was alright I guess, sorta forgettable. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere he started singing calm the fire, no intro like "this is a new song" or anything. Just started singing. I immediately turned to my friend and said I couldnt believe they broke it out. After that I think it was Broken Wings, which sounded the same as usual. Then the absolute highlight peak of the show. Myles was like "this is my favorite part of the show. I just get to sit back and let Mark sing lead vocals" and they played Waters Rising. It was absolutely superb. Better than any of the videos I've seen. That might've been just because it was live, but I'm telling you it sounded really great today for some reason. No missed lyrics in the song or anything. Then Myles said "Bout time we broke it out?" And Mark responded " Ya, Dallas Texas, if you didn't know, this next song's music video was filmed here years ago. How many of you guys were here for that? Its called Ties that Bind" So they played that. They played Metalingus, which was the best I had heard since the ODR era I kid you not. I loved it. The bridge lasted forever because myles started having a random conversation about how he should handle the crowd (which was wild) and then he was like "okay myles, no more fuckin around here" and sang the bridge. Then came blackbird. Now, usually this is my highlight, but right as the bridge was about to start some poor soul in a wheel chair rammed his way to the front, sorta creating a stir in the crowd. When he came past me he said "I can't see from back there, I'm in a wheel chair." I felt really bad for him, but I was also thinking to myself "no shit you can't see. Why are you doing this during the best part of their best song?" But I really did feel bad for the guy. Myles saw him and threw him a pick. I think it was Farther than the Sun or something after that. Then they played watch over you and Rise today.

Then in the encore, I really expected Slip to the Void to start playing, but instead they all just came out and myles started singing really really high notes (couldn't make out any words) and it had us looking around like "what's he saying?" Then mark came to the mic and was like "ya myles lets hear some blues! If you guys didn't know, Myles used to play in a jazzy band. Let's hear some jazz from Myles Kennedy." Myles started playing for like 10 seconds and then said "haha lets not, but how bout some isolation?!" They played that, and open your eyes.

That's a wrap

It was much better then the last AB concert I went to. The sound quality was much better... I could actually hear Myles for once!!!! And the metronome that flip is playing with has helped the live concerts so much. It makes everything better, not just the songs he used to speed up. Water's Rising was a highlight, while Brand New Start was a little boring. Still, awesome job, showed why I live and breathe their material for 9 years now.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Did they play Ghost? I hope they didn't take it out. One of my favorites live.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Nice! Really cool that they played Calm The Fire!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Addicted to Pain:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/646EIG760Do[/youtube]
:lol Myles flubs the lyrics only 2 lines into the night. Other than that though, great performance. Myles sounds good and seemed like he was really giving it his all out there, and the crowd was loving it
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Hope they keep playing Fire throughout the tour, it's a good sign that their first official stop on the tour had 5 Fortress songs in it.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:Hope they keep playing Fire throughout the tour, it's a good sign that their first official stop on the tour had 5 Fortress songs in it.
:yeahthat as long as I get to hear it live in NYC, then it's all good with me :D
Rock Never Dies

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Come to Life:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/7XBFtO4W9Ig[/youtube]
Rock Never Dies

Carrie Anne
Brand New Start

Post by Carrie Anne »

AB23, I think we were in the same spot you were--in front of Myles kinda?

This was my first AB concert and I was completely blown away. I thought it was such a great show. Getting to watch sound check and the VIP experience was amazing...even though they were running late and I had to carry all my stuff around all night.

Highlights for me: Come to Life, Calm the Fire, Rise Today, Waters Rising (Mark=King badass) and the whole encore was SO amazing that I got a little emotional and cried at the end of "Open Your Eyes."

I plan on video-blogging and writing about my experience in length later--I want to remember everything I can about this FOREVER.

Oh--and you guys! I have been to so many shows and this was by far the most respectful, wonderful, friendly crowd I have ever been a part of. Maybe it's because I'm not from here--or because AB fans are so freaking awesome--but I seriously felt like we were all connected, enjoying this amazing music as one big family. Rock 'n Roll church!

Okay-- now I shall bask in the afterglow of my first AB concert and look forward to KC!

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Cry of Achilles:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/lAg5uZzLXKk[/youtube]
At least Myles can laugh at himself when he flubs his own lyrics :lol And FINALLY! The return of the "B" in "Beautiful" during the chorus! Hopefully he remembers to keep it there from now on
Rock Never Dies

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Carrie Anne wrote:AB23, I think we were in the same spot you were--in front of Myles kinda?

This was my first AB concert and I was completely blown away. I thought it was such a great show. Getting to watch sound check and the VIP experience was amazing...even though they were running late and I had to carry all my stuff around all night.

Highlights for me: Come to Life, Calm the Fire, Rise Today, Waters Rising (Mark=King badass) and the whole encore was SO amazing that I got a little emotional and cried at the end of "Open Your Eyes."

I plan on video-blogging and writing about my experience in length later--I want to remember everything I can about this FOREVER.

Oh--and you guys! I have been to so many shows and this was by far the most respectful, wonderful, friendly crowd I have ever been a part of. Maybe it's because I'm not from here--or because AB fans are so freaking awesome--but I seriously felt like we were all connected, enjoying this amazing music as one big family. Rock 'n Roll church!

Okay-- now I shall bask in the afterglow of my first AB concert and look forward to KC!
I was 5 rows back in front of myles

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

One Drew Remains wrote:Did they play Ghost? I hope they didn't take it out. One of my favorites live.
ya they played that, i forgot it. it actually sounded very good.

myles was really enjoying himself out there. He kept joking with the crowd and going crazy all the time. My friend asked if he was even sober, which is sorta how wild he was. The last time they were in dallas, he was really constricted and didnt move around that much, maybe cuz the stage was so small. But this time he was really mobile and constantly communicating with the crowd. It really was a great show

They played the normal set list I think, except instead of Schlip they played Calm the Fire which is fuckin fine by me lol

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Not the best performance of Achilles I've heard, but it'll get better as the tour goes on.

On the other hand, Myles killed the chorus of Ties That Bind:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/91QAyfXTL2E[/youtube]

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

All right, that's a decent setlist. 7-5-3-2. I was hoping that they did not boot off Slip since it's still a great track compared so some of the songs in this setlist.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Great reviews, AB23 and Carrie Anne! Thanks!

2 questions, I thought I saw a photo of the set list that included Lover. Did they play that?

Also, Chris, if you were 5 rows back , who was in the first 4 rows? Were those all VIP people?
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

willy5150
TABN.com Citizen

Post by willy5150 »

Looks like Mark was playing a few of his older PRS Tremonti's. Did Myles play a couple different PRS guitars? I know you guys in here will figure it out.. :-)

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

He's coming out with a signature PRS, perhaps that's what you're referring to.