Video Game Bonanza!

Talk about anything and everything here.
Ryan
Blood Machines

Re: Video Game Bonanza!

Post by Ryan »

from the Wii U website:
It allows for backwards compatibility with Wii game discs, saved game data, and purchased WiiWare and Virtual Console games on your new Wii U console. Wii games cannot be controlled with the Wii U GamePad. Use your existing Wii controllers to play. Wii games will not display in HD on the Wii U console.
Photobucket cash grab.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

So, I've been too busy to watch E3 and have just barely started scratching the surface of news but Nintendo looks to be doing really well. Brand new Zelda and a few other good games have me wanting a Wii U. Unless I missed it, Sony and Microsoft didn't seem to announce anything too exciting. More of the same, it looks like. I've heard there's some new Mirror's Edge 2 footage so I'll have to check that out. Anyone seen something they like?
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

gobaloon
TABN.com Citizen

Post by gobaloon »

Bruce Lee C64!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Nintendo won hands down. So glad my brother bought that Wii U lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

where are they broadcasting e3!?! cant find it anywhere!

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Andy92 wrote:Nintendo won hands down. So glad my brother bought that Wii U lol.
I'm dying to get a Wii U now (can't believe I'm saying that). Two new Zelda games, Super Smash Bros., that Captain Toad game, Yoshi's Wooly World, Mario Party 10, Mario Kart 8, a new Star Fox, and even that new ip Splatoon all look like buyable games to me.

Other than that, a couple arcade games Inside (from the people who made Limbo, which was fantastic) and Ori and the Blind Forest. I'm always a fan of beautiful indie arcade games. As expected, I like the looks of Mirror's Edge 2 too.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Ooh, I actually found a non-Nintendo next gen game that has me really amped: Evolve.

It's from the creators of Left 4 Dead and you and up to 3 people play as a group of monster hunters with the monster being controlled by another player. It's not a pure fight though, which makes it way more interesting. The monster is weaker to start, so the other players are the hunters but as the monster survives longer and eats other creatures through the matches, it evolves until it becomes the hunter. Looks like a ton of fun.

Article w/ trailer: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... sives.aspx
Article w/gameplay: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... ction.aspx
Article w/ more details in video: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... volve.aspx

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Oh I forgot about that one. It does look pretty good. I'd want to be the monster. :lol

This fall I'll probably pick up Destiny, the new Assassin's Creed, and Shadow of Mordor for the One. Right now Titanfall is all I have.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

k so where is it televised gaiz

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

It's not televised much anymore. Spike TV had some stuff Monday, but that was it. You can watch the press conferences online though. The individual sites like Microsoft and Sony have stuff, and I'd say the E3 site does too.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Twitch is a good place to watch it live i believe
Thanks Timo!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I only watched the Microsoft press conference because it was plastered all over the Xbox One home screen lol. With Nintendo I just went to their website.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I've just been reading articles on GameInformer's website. I'm too lazy to do anything else.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Has anyone been reading about the little controversy Ubisoft cooked up for themselves? Apparently, according to them, creating a female assassin for their 4 player game would be far too much work for this massive developer. It's just "a reality of game development." Despite the fact that almost half of all gamers are women, the industry still hardly gives two shits about them. They'd rather have another 4 grizzled white guys than introduce anything remotely close to diversity. It's not even like they're being realistic because there were actual female assassins in the actual French revolution.

Here's two little articles about it:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/11/57993 ... -much-work

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/11/assas ... resources/

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That's a bit surprising for this franchise in particular considering the producer that played a huge role in jump starting the series was female, Jade Raymond.

I think it's about time a company took a chance on making a female protagonist for a large game. I guess you could slightly make an argument that many of the games contributing to the high number of female players include mobile games such as Angry Birds, Candy Crush, etc. But it's really not an excuse to completely ignore females as major playable characters in a series. I do remember there was an AC game on the Vita that featured a woman as the main assassin, so I'm not sure why there'd be some huge issue over including one in AC Unity.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

^Yeah, it's actually especially dismaying that they wouldn't have a female character because they are by far not the worst when it comes to diverse representation. Obviously, this isn't the worst case of erasure ever but it's just another example of how bad gamer culture has gotten. There are a good few sources treating this as a real issue but swarms of male gamers are just crawling out to give the most bullshit excuses. "The vast majority of gamers are men so they should cater to us!" Right, try a 3% difference. "I can't empathize or relate to a woman!" Well, female gamers have had to relate to men for all this time, so it's only fair. "It's not about diversity; it's about the quality of the game!" Diversity is a huge part of a game's value and it's just like a white guy who already gets representation to claim it doesn't. And of course, "It takes too much work!" It only takes too much work if you treat diversity as some tangential side issue rather than one of if not the biggest issue polarizing gaming culture, geek culture, and culture at large. Get your head out of the sand.

And I totally agree. More female centered games would be fantastic. Mirror's Edge is an often cited example but though I love that game, it's only one.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Plus male gamers would spend 100% game time jumping.

Post by zazthespaz »

Breasts are too difficult to animate when dealing with realistic physics/gravity.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I'm sure they'd also have to add in a boob window or something. And they would all have to be running in high heels. Maybe I underestimated the difficulty.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I'd like to see them start with some co-op games maybe. Something where you have a male and female protagonist. You could play through the campaign by yourself as either character, or you could go through as co-op with a friend. Dead Space 3 used this concept with two playable protagonists, but they were both male.

I wouldn't have any issues playing as a female. I don't really develope any personal connections to players, I more or less feel like I'm watching a movie. Ezio might've been the exception to that though...something about playing as him for 3 games left me pretty attached as a player.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I almost cried. But didn't. Cause I'm a man.

Post by zazthespaz »

Andy92 wrote:I'd like to see them start with some co-op games maybe. Something where you have a male and female protagonist. You could play through the campaign by yourself as either character, or you could go through as co-op with a friend. Dead Space 3 used this concept with two playable protagonists, but they were both male.
Yeah and when you win, you get to have sex with each other! I'd be pissed if that were left out. On second thought, starting to see why ubisoft isn't doing female characters.
Andy92 wrote:I wouldn't have any issues playing as a female. I don't really develope any personal connections to players, I more or less feel like I'm watching a movie. Ezio might've been the exception to that though...something about playing as him for 3 games left me pretty attached as a player.
Then you need to play Bioshock. All of them.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says