Paris Attacks

Talk about anything and everything here.
Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Re: My 2¢

Post by Rosenblaetter »

zazthespaz wrote:It makes sense to me. I don't like that people are backing down due to fear of terrorism, but the threat level is so high globally from the most unconventional group in existence that I can't blame a band for not wanting a bunch of deaths to possibly occur at one of their shows. I'm sure shows will resume again soon once things have calmed down and more arrests have been made, but for now I'd say this is the safest bet.

Also, 9/11 is different. It's easier to control airports security-wise over concert halls. Airports are fewer and further between whereas concert venues are a dime a dozen. Plus, these venues are dark, packed, and harder to keep an eye on people so even if the manpower for security was feasible, it'd still be a massive challenge.
Actually it doesn't make sense.
With thousands of refugees migrating into the UE daily and hundreds of terrorists already settled in, there is no way we can be sure we are safe - the threat will not go away in a year or two and there is no point to think terrorists will attack music venues - there are hundreds of targets.
The same for US - it's naive to think that you are safe or that you can control the airports.
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

AB23
Still Remains

Re: Paris Attacks

Post by AB23 »

Rosenblaetter wrote:More and more artists cancel shows. Not only the big names.
To be honest, I don't like this attitude. I'm trying to understand it, but I really don't.

Walk the Moon: 'the risk is too much for us to bear. For that reason, we have decided to cancel our upcoming shows'.

Seriously? So what - they won't set a foot in Europe for the next 5 years? What kind of thinking is this? It's not like only the Europeans have a problem... 9/11 did not happen in Europe.

Correct me if I'm too harsh on this. Some of you are American... how do you see it?
This is not a very sound argument.

And since 9/11, although the protocol is a bit much and everyone hates it, we've controlled terroristic activity as far as airplanes go. If we couldn't control terrorists on a plane, they wouldn't be attempting to slip through the border at the rate that they are.

It isn't that they can't control the concert venues. There is a MUCH higher threat of a terrorist attack in Europe right now, in general, than US. Don't limit this to concert venues when it shouldn't properly be limited to that. Sure, there are terrorists in the US, but the higher threats, easier communication, etc lies in Europe. In Europe, you had a woman participate in a terrorist attack in Paris and slip out of the continent all in a matter of hours.

Right now, neither of us are "safe" but its MUCH harder for them to get in the US. The attacks that are happen here will almost exclusively be converted muslims into radical muslims that already live here. Although it may not be much different in Europe, the threat that they can just take a short plane ride or a few hours of a car ride into the continent, logistically speaking, makes it more threatening.

and 9/11 was just one isolated incident bruh. It was catastrophic and one of, if not THE darkest day this world has ever seen. But in context, it was one elaborate plan. Paris has seen two of these attacks this year alone while neighboring Belgium was just under threat. The spokesperson for ISIL was british (until we sent him into oblivion). Europe is a far easier target at the moment.

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

Europe is now the target, yes. But it can turn around any time. To think you can stop attacks in US if terrorists decide to act - how easy to think that...
What I meant to say in my post in the first place: cancelling shows by minor bands because of a rather vague threat - I don't get it.
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

Another shooting. Not sure if religiously motivated, seems like a different group to me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/03/us/sa ... .html?_r=0

TL;DR Shooting in California, estimated 14 dead 14 injured (as of 5 pm ET) at a center that helps the developmentally disabled. Gunmen were described as 3 white guys with camo, masks, tactical gear and long guns and have so far eluded capture.

Live news post feed is here: https://www.reddit.com/live/w0nn1o5hu90y
People are reporting additional shots fired heard at various locations. Anyone can post though so I'm not sure how many are legit/just jumpy people.