Back of the Net! - The Football Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: Back of the Net! - The Football Thread

Post by Dan Dando »

Couldn't help but try to revive this thread since I'm a Liverpool fan. With six games to go I honestly have no idea whether we'll win the title, but it's such an unexpected and wonderful feeling to be part of the conversation at this stage of the season - it's not something that Liverpool have been a part of much in the last few years.

Whatever happens, Brendan Rodgers has to be considered for manager of the year, to take a team from 7th to a title race in one season - incredible really.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I hate football.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Ubik wrote:I hate football.
How come, Ubik? :D

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

We found our version of Hodgson. Yet worse!

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Ubik wrote:We found our version of Hodgson. Yet worse!
As much as I think David Moyes is rather tactically out of his depth at Manchester United (after a decade of playing a certain negative style of football that has been improved upon in one season by Roberto Martinez) no one is worse than Roy Hodgson :D

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Just generally out of his depth, doesn't have the mentality for the job. If the board keep him on because "giving managers is the United way!" I'll scream.

Have to give credit to Liverpool though, they've been great. It feels dirty to be cheering on Chelsea in a title race, but desperate times!

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Ubik wrote:Just generally out of his depth, doesn't have the mentality for the job. If the board keep him on because "giving managers is the United way!" I'll scream.

Have to give credit to Liverpool though, they've been great. It feels dirty to be cheering on Chelsea in a title race, but desperate times!
He says some naff things too, doesn't he? This is his latest soundbite.

About taking over the defending champions of England: "If Mr Ferguson were here this year it would be difficult for him as well and I’m sure he’d agree. People are aware there’s a squad that is ageing, so it would have been a tough season for whoever was in charge of United this year."

About taking over the defending champions of Germany & Europe: "...he took over the champions of Europe which means they had a lot of things in place."

I was going to ask why you're supporting Chelsea but then I remembered that Manchester City are the other team in the title race. Ouch, my man :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Between a rock and a hard place being shot at with poison arrows.

The stuff he says is absurd. That bit about Fergie struggling got a lot of people very wound up. The part about Bayern was extra funny because he cited Guardiola having a year to learn German being a reason why they're doing so much better than we are. I mean good lord. The sad thing is that some (a minority, but they still exist) of our fans are going along with it and slating Fergie so that Moyes doesn't look so bad in comparison. It's all very strange. Amazing really that we've had so long to plan for the succession, yet we screwed it up so completely. It's a little impressive when you think about it.

I noticed your little "Mr Ferguson" there too, Rafa lives!

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Wow, a fair bit has changed in the footballing world since this topic last saw any action.

Champions League final coming up on Saturday. Liverpool vs Real Madrid. Should be interesting.