Back of the Net! - The Football Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: Back of the Net! - The Football Thread

Post by Dan Dando »

Jim wrote:Did you just say the chairman of the FA has a very, very limited knowledge of football...?
I did indeed. He's only there because he's a crony of the people who appoint the position. What he talked about earlier today says it all really. He seems to think that the foreign influx has damaged English football but there are more foreign players plying their trade in La Liga than there are in the Premier League - doesn't seem to have done Spain any harm, eh? He wont be in the job in 2022, he will have taken his big FA pension by then, so spouting nonsense and setting comedy targets means nothing really. It's the FA, they won't change a thing because they are a clique of detached white old men that don't understand the game, and this is more hot air from them.

RavishingRik
On The Rail

Post by RavishingRik »

Di Canio sacked by Sunderland. I think it's a shame, I love how passionate he is about the game. I'd like to see more managers like that.

Der_Metzgermeister
Loyal Follower

Post by Der_Metzgermeister »

Passion isn't enough though, a little knowledge helps, as does a level enough head to not fall out with the entire squad after 6 months and not inconsiderable backing by the chairman. He had the same happen at Swindon, and there was nothing there to suggest that he was ready to jump 2 divisions and manage in the Premier League. You could take the example of Moyes as a case for giving lower league managers a chance, but he at least had success with Preston before Everton came calling. Di Canio failed in League One, and failed in the Premiership.

RavishingRik
On The Rail

Post by RavishingRik »

And to the flipside of Di Canio... Sam Allardyce has his 100th game in charge of West Ham tomorrow :)

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

RavishingRik wrote:And to the flipside of Di Canio... Sam Allardyce has his 100th game in charge of West Ham tomorrow :)
100 games of hoof-ball :lol

RavishingRik
On The Rail

Post by RavishingRik »

HOOF!!! :humina

Der_Metzgermeister
Loyal Follower

Post by Der_Metzgermeister »

Allardyce is someone who doesn't get as much credit as he deserves. Yes, his teams play ... let's say direct ... football, but there's always room for a creative type or two in order to add a second dimension. He's not Pulis in that regard. He was one of the first Premier League managers to use technology. At Bolton, he used to use it to work out the average place a clearance from a corner landed, and placed someone exactly there. Overnight, his teams stopped conceding on the counter attack from their own corners.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Der_Metzgermeister wrote:Allardyce is someone who doesn't get as much credit as he deserves. Yes, his teams play ... let's say direct ... football, but there's always room for a creative type or two in order to add a second dimension. He's not Pulis in that regard. He was one of the first Premier League managers to use technology. At Bolton, he used to use it to work out the average place a clearance from a corner landed, and placed someone exactly there. Overnight, his teams stopped conceding on the counter attack from their own corners.
I was only teasing with the hoof-ball remark. I don't think he's a bad manager or anything like that, but I do think he is tactically limited - it's like there's only one route for his teams in the way that they play and if that doesn't work then there's not much he can really do to impact a game. He's always been very bitter about the lack of top job opportunities that have come his way but he doesn't understand that the reason for that is is he's just not good enough to go a level higher than where he is and where he has been. I mean, look at how awful he did at Newcastle - according to him he's the last person to blame for that though :crazy

Remember this? :facepalm

"I'm not suited to Bolton or Blackburn, I would be more suited to Internazionale or Real Madrid," said Allardyce. "It wouldn't be a problem to me to go and manage those clubs because I would win the Double or the league every time.

"Give me Manchester United or Chelsea and I would do the same, it wouldn't be a problem. It's not where I'm suited to, it's just where I've been for most of the time. It's not a problem to take me into the higher reaches of the Champions League or Premier League and would make my job a lot easier in winning it."

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

So where are all the Arsenal haters at?

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

:wave
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Violent Corpse wrote:So where are all the Arsenal haters at?
You mean their own fans that booed the team? Probably now enjoying themselves.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Ubik wrote:
Violent Corpse wrote:So where are all the Arsenal haters at?
You mean their own fans that booed the team? Probably now enjoying themselves.
Knowing their fans, only until the next dip in form :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

#Wengerout!

A mate texted me that after the first match of the season :lol
For all of the hope that it brings...

RavishingRik
On The Rail

Post by RavishingRik »

Arsenal were 2-1 down with 6 mins to go and they bring on Bendtner. That's like holding your breath whilst having an asthma attack.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

RavishingRik wrote:Arsenal were 2-1 down with 6 mins to go and they bring on Bendtner. That's like holding your breath whilst having an asthma attack.
:lol
Ubik wrote:#Wengerout!

A mate texted me that after the first match of the season :lol

Decay

Post by Decay »

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Decay wrote::lol
:lol (let's just do this all day)

Decay

Post by Decay »

Sure.

Please continue.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Oh yeah, Bendtner's shite, so is Arsenal. :lol

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I missed the Champions League this evening. Damn
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ