The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm watching Predator (one of my favorites) for probably the 30th time. I bugged my discount cinema to add it to their Midnight Madness series, and I get to see it on the big screen in July (and Blade Runner this fall!)
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Post by AllC392Was »

So I saw Spiderman last night... I'm usually very critical about movies but wow this was such an amazing movie

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

One Drew Remains wrote:I'm watching Predator (one of my favorites) for probably the 30th time. I bugged my discount cinema to add it to their Midnight Madness series, and I get to see it on the big screen in July (and Blade Runner this fall!)
Ahh, Predator - happy sigh :)

Ever seen this, man? Thought it was quite interesting.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/A1GfUoB0kog[/youtube]

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AllC392Was wrote:So I saw Spiderman last night... I'm usually very critical about movies but wow this was such an amazing movie
I Find that funny considering movie critics say otherwise. I'm mostly seeing 1-2 stars out of 5.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Watched a really terrific short film last night called 'Curfew' - it won Best Short at the Oscars in 2012 and is actually currently being re-made as a full length feature film... with the same actors in the lead roles. Here's the trailer if anyone fancies taking a peak?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Jnk_Hq-mlZI[/youtube]

It's been quite some time since a movie-scene has kinda lifted my spirits and put a heck of a smile on my face. This next scene really did the trick, and then some.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/hAI0LhOJT3E[/youtube]

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier yesterday. Unfortunately I don't have much to say about it in terms of how good it was because nothing really that memorable or awesome happened. Looking forward to Avengers: Age of Ultron, though.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

First look at Ben Affleck as Batman with the new Batmobile:

http://screenrant.com/batman-vs-superma ... batmobile/

I'm impressed.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I can just feel the dark gritty angst streaming out at me.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Dark Knight Returns batsuit!
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Just finished watching "Captain Phillips." Pretty decent movie, not a whole lot of room for some amazing Tom Hanks acting except at the end. I guess I was hoping for more given the trailer that I saw, but all in all decent movie.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

I watched Godzilla... it was underwhelming.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Nick wrote:I can just feel the dark gritty angst streaming out at me.
I know this was sarcasm, but Batman is a dark and gritty character, and he always has been. That's why this image is awesome.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:
Nick wrote:I can just feel the dark gritty angst streaming out at me.
I know this was sarcasm, but Batman is a dark and gritty character, and he always has been. That's why this image is awesome.
Well, I mean, if we're counting Batman from the very beginning with the first comics and Adam West then no, he wasn't. If you're just counting modern Frank Miller and movie Batman, than yeah, for the most part. I don't mind dark but too much focus on angst specifically can kind of weigh a movie down. Look at what happened to Man of Steel and The Amazing Spiderman and even The Dark Knight Returns. Too much darkness and grittiness becomes monotonous. Nolan already took it about as dark as it could go so it's pretty underwhelming to have a reboot try to do the same thing. There are different ways to take the character that are still true to Batman, such as the tortured but caring one in The Animated Series, the nearly psychotic one in some of the comics, the bitter one, the regretful and anxious one (is he just generating more crime? Are there better ways to stop crime? etc.), the emotionally stunted loner in Justice League, even the funny one in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon. You could also mix a lot of those together.

I don't know, obviously we can't, and I'm not, judging much of anything on this one image but this darkness trend is starting to be too much. There's so much more emotional range to be had if you don't just limit it to misery and angst. I miss having an even slight self consciousness of the fact that superheroes are fundamentally a fun and silly idea with people in jumpsuits flying around beating up bad guys. I think that's part of the reason why Marvel is having so much success and everyone else is failing.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Batman of the original comics was pretty dark, they had to tone it down a bit I believe (I think he even killed in the beginning). All the bat symbolism inevitably leads to themes around darkness and fear. I just want him to be more of a douchebag in this one that doesn't take any shit. That he's seemingly being based of Miller's version gives me hope in that respect.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Really? I'm obviously no expert but I figured those original detective comics or whatever didn't have anything like that. Seems too edgy for the time period, but I don't know. This is mostly what I think of when I think of old batman:

That said, if anyone can do dark and gritty it's Batman. I'd rather him do it than anyone else. In my perfect world, he could continue in these and similar veins while other characters relented. No more angsty spiderman, no more tortured Superman, no more gritty Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc. I'm more annoyed with people stealing Batman's schtick when they're not Batman, I guess.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Nick wrote:Really? I'm obviously no expert but I figured those original detective comics or whatever didn't have anything like that. Seems too edgy for the time period, but I don't know. This is mostly what I think of when I think of old batman:

That said, if anyone can do dark and gritty it's Batman. I'd rather him do it than anyone else. In my perfect world, he could continue in these and similar veins while other characters relented. No more angsty spiderman, no more tortured Superman, no more gritty Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc. I'm more annoyed with people stealing Batman's schtick when they're not Batman, I guess.
This is a good point, just a typical case of Hollywood finding something that makes money and milking the shit out of it; artistic integrity goes out the window. Gritty Ninja Turtles ffs!

The thing that defined Nolan's series to me was its insistence on realism, or at least as real as you can get with a bat-themed ninja vigilante. Bullet-proof body armour, a batmobile designed for the military, etc. Superman wouldn't exist in Nolan's bat-universe, from my perspective. When you look at Affleck's version it seems to have gone back into the comic universe a bit - the suit is just made of plain old material, the batmobile is sleek and bespoke. Looks more like a continuation of the Burton-era in that way.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Nick wrote:Really? I'm obviously no expert but I figured those original detective comics or whatever didn't have anything like that. Seems too edgy for the time period, but I don't know. This is mostly what I think of when I think of old batman:

Yeah, those first Batman comics were pretty dark, even by today's standards. Batman was introduced in 1939, and the campy Adam West version didn't show up until 1966. The Frank Miller material was a return to the character's darker roots a few years later.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

That actually sounds really interesting. I don't read much comics but I find comics history to be pretty interesting so I'll have to look into it. I didn't mean to conflate the eras by the way, but that is what comes to mind for me. I actually like the Miller/Moore dark realism stuff but only when it's done well (i.e. Nolan), so the recent fad with focusing on angst just seems like a cheap copy. I guess I'm also annoyed when people pretend a movie is better or more mature when it's dark, rather than it just being different. Again, I love the Nolan series but it was kind of sad that my little brother couldn't see his favorite superhero because it was too scary. Like you said Ubik, hopefully they return to a dark but still theatrical vibe like in the Burton ones (but different too, of course). I mostly just want some more emotional range.

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

The new Batman/Superman movie is officially titled "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice."

http://screenrant.com/batman-vs-superma ... ice-title/

I didn't like it at first, but I think it flows off the tongue well. "Man of Steel" was a letdown, but I'm really hoping this movie doesn't disappoint me too. Seeing Superman and Batman on screen together for the first time in a live-action movie will be a historic moment.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Being a fan of Batman (and hating Superman) I don't like this.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23