What are you watching right now?

Talk about anything and everything here.
gbruin
MEGLADONG

And I watched all of The Favourite

Post by gbruin »

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre might be the only movie in my life that I walked away from and refused to finish. It just made me feel so awful.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: And I watched all of The Favourite

Post by MaraCarr »

gbruin wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:27 pm The Texas Chainsaw Massacre might be the only movie in my life that I walked away from and refused to finish. It just made me feel so awful.
Just shows you have an awesome heart.
It is a very dark and negative energy, even at the very end. The girl survived the terror, trauma and the torture but the memory remains. Reminds me of a song. :)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: What are you watching right now?

Post by Timotheus »

Genuinely wasn't expecting to be this hyped for House Of The Dragon. After GOT season 8, I was just expecting them to exploit the GOT brand with these spin-offs. I wasn't even that interested in the first few trailers. But reading interviews, seeing the last few trailers, seeing Martin and Condal's involvement, I'm starting to feel some positive hype. Hoping it lives up to the first 4 season of GOT.

The Rings of Power on the contrary...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I should probably get around to watching LOTR...

Post by zazthespaz »

Timotheus wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:35 am The Rings of Power on the contrary...
What's wrong with Rings of Power? I had high hopes for it! I have barely seen anything about it though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: I should probably get around to watching LOTR...

Post by Timotheus »

zazthespaz wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:31 am
Timotheus wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:35 am The Rings of Power on the contrary...
What's wrong with Rings of Power? I had high hopes for it! I have barely seen anything about it though.
They only have the rights to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. So basically only a few pages in the appendices of Lord of the Rings.

However, we know from the Silmarillion that whatever they're coming up with is just not Tolkien. They're cramming events that happened over thousands of years into a single storyline. Characters that never met (probably weren't alive at the same time) are interacting, new characters are introduced, everything is modernized, ...

It's basically just Amazon, trying to profit from Tolkien's legacy.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I'm looking forward to Rings of Power, from what I've heard of the showrunners they seem like they're good guys. Can't be worse than the Hobbit films, surely?
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Guilty pleasures are still pleasures

Post by gbruin »

And after watching Wedding Season (the Netflix movie) last night, the Indian culture/young love/relationship angst motif continues as Never Have I Ever S3 comes out today. Yay!!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:03 pm I'm looking forward to Rings of Power, from what I've heard of the showrunners they seem like they're good guys. Can't be worse than the Hobbit films, surely?
I don’t know if you watched Wheel of Time S1 last year or not but as a fan of those books I was fairly disappointed. The show wasn’t terrible but they made enough changes to the source material to turn me off of it. I know it’s different showrunners working on Rings of Power, but all of it being under the Amazon umbrella doesn’t thrill me for them doing any sort of continuity that matches The Silmarillion.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Over the years i got desensitized to blood and scary scenes in movies lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Andy92 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:57 pm
Ubik wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:03 pm I'm looking forward to Rings of Power, from what I've heard of the showrunners they seem like they're good guys. Can't be worse than the Hobbit films, surely?
I don’t know if you watched Wheel of Time S1 last year or not but as a fan of those books I was fairly disappointed. The show wasn’t terrible but they made enough changes to the source material to turn me off of it. I know it’s different showrunners working on Rings of Power, but all of it being under the Amazon umbrella doesn’t thrill me for them doing any sort of continuity that matches The Silmarillion.
Not seen or read, but what I did see in trailers and the like did seem a little cheap. What I've seen of this seems on an entirely different scale tbf, but obviously the writing will be what it lives and dies on. I think there's a Breaking Bad writer working on it? Not a guarantee I know but still.

As long as they don't do my boy Finrod dirty.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

There are so many events in the Silmarillion that they could've chosen. Some of them have been covered quite detailed in standalone books like Children of Hurin and Beren and Luthien. Maybe they don't have all the rights necessary yet... But they're a billion dollar company, willing to spend millions on this show.

They could've even picked a less detailed event. For example the Fall of a certain place (spoiler alert). There, it would make sense to create extra characters and create extra storylines to fill in the gaps, because there indeed is not that much information.

In stead they pick a bunch of events over thousands of years, and actively contradict Tolkien along the way. Of course it remains to be seen how far they're going with this, but Warrior Princes Galadriel, Durin III being Durin IV's father, Miriel being queen, etc... is not a great sign.

Even with fantastic writing, it has to be more than spectacular to get away with re-writing Tolkien's legacy, and even then it still has to be 100% in sync with Tolkien's vision. I get I come off extremely puristic when I say that, but this is not Game of Thrones, The Wither or Wheel of Time, where I care less about these artistic liberties. Tolkien is just Tolkien.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I get what you're saying Timo, and I'm probably looking at it from a slightly different perspective as I read all the extra legendarium stuff last year because the show was coming out, so it's less firmly embedded in my brain. But it's a little like the Jackson films, more or less my favourite trilogy of films ever, where he turns Aragorn into a reluctant king, makes Elrond Half-elven say "Men are weak", has Faramir take the hobbits to Osgiliath, swaps Glorfindel for (a slightly warrior princessy!) Arwen, has Frodo send Sam away, has the Oathbreakers do most of the battle winning for them, has the Witch-King break Gandalf's staff, and that's without getting into all the stuff he just removed entirely. It's not Tolkien and Christopher apparently hated them, but they remain excellent to me at least. I doubt this'll get to that level but I want to give it a go.

Would love Silmarillion stories after finally having read it (it gets a very unfair rap!) but as you said earlier, they didn't have those rights and I doubt the Tolkien Estate will sell them for a long time yet, given it wasn't published in his lifetime. On Miriel - she's apparently Queen Regent, so Tar-Palantir should at least be alive.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

The Great Gatsby, for instance.

Post by gbruin »

#TeamTimo on this one.

You can take artistic liberties some places. Some other things are sacred.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Binge watched season 3 of Never Have I Ever. Very entertaining and better than season 2. Really cute show.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Ubik wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:01 pm I get what you're saying Timo, and I'm probably looking at it from a slightly different perspective as I read all the extra legendarium stuff last year because the show was coming out, so it's less firmly embedded in my brain. But it's a little like the Jackson films, more or less my favourite trilogy of films ever, where he turns Aragorn into a reluctant king, makes Elrond Half-elven say "Men are weak", has Faramir take the hobbits to Osgiliath, swaps Glorfindel for (a slightly warrior princessy!) Arwen, has Frodo send Sam away, has the Oathbreakers do most of the battle winning for them, has the Witch-King break Gandalf's staff, and that's without getting into all the stuff he just removed entirely. It's not Tolkien and Christopher apparently hated them, but they remain excellent to me at least. I doubt this'll get to that level but I want to give it a go.

Would love Silmarillion stories after finally having read it (it gets a very unfair rap!) but as you said earlier, they didn't have those rights and I doubt the Tolkien Estate will sell them for a long time yet, given it wasn't published in his lifetime. On Miriel - she's apparently Queen Regent, so Tar-Palantir should at least be alive.
Sorry I didn't find the time to answer earlier!

I think the difference between the changes between LOTR and TROP are going to be the size of them. Many of the changed you're mentioning were done because there simple was enough time in three movies. A simplification of the story line was easier than having to do a bunch of extra explanation, having to introduce another character, ... I don't enjoy all changes in the Jackson trilogy, but I think generally, the story, the message and the tone is very truthful to the books.

Introducing Hobbit-like characters, and giving them importance, whilst promoting the story with phrases like "a world where little guys who can change the world" or something along those lines, is just them riding the Lord of the Rings success. That really isn't the theme of the second age.

Condensing the time that much affects everything. The dynamics between men and elves in particular. The closest in the Jackson trilogy is the timespan between Gandalf's visit 's to the Shire in Fellowship, which was shortened and that's microscopical compared to this.

And truthfully, I don't have an issue with elves having a dark skin. If that alone was the case, I'd have no issues with this show. But this "Tolkien for everyone" mentality they're using to promote the show, makes it seem like there is something wrong with Tolkien's work in the first place, and Amazon's here to "fix" it.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Agree that the time compression a big issue, the biggest one for me personally. To show the tragedy of Numenor you have to show it when it was a good place, but it then feels cheap if that change happens too quickly. Design of it does look sick though.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

cheesedip1 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:47 pm Over the years i got desensitized to blood and scary scenes in movies lol
Honestly I don’t like it as much as I used too, I’ve gotten soft in my old age. I do enjoy a good scary movie but not so much just about bloody scenes. I get enough of that at work! 😂

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Such a Beautiful Scene! EPIC

Post by MaraCarr »

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Black Phone

Post by MaraCarr »

Black Phone is a good movie, I don't know if you would call it a horror, its more of a supernatural suspense / thriller. Ethan Hawke did an awesome job as the Grabber. His masks were memorable and fits the last few years we lived through wearing masks. I love the movie, and that is all I am going to say. It is a must see. It ends with an awesome twist! :)

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

The Taylor Hawkins Tribute Show live stream on Youtube. I'm not really enjoying it so far (although there were some good moments like Them Crooked Vultures being on stage for a few songs). It feels like way too much like the Chris Cornell Tribute I went to back in 2019. Feels too, what's a nice word to say other than watered, for my liking. Did Linkin Park did their tribute show for Chester Bennington the best in comparison? It feels that way so far.