Books/What are you reading?

Talk about anything and everything here.
zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Time to check some emails!

Post by zazthespaz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:Thank you for giving me validation to my thoughts. You're European, so I'm saying that sincerely.
If anything Canadian validation could at least be the 2nd most appreciated validation, dissimilar or not, because I don't think American validation is as sincere as ours ;) :lol :eek
No. Ranking (from an American perspective) is:
- Europe (sans Belgium - partially because of Timo, partially for the waffle incident)
- Southern India
- Peru
- Northern India
- Japan
- Belgium
- Canada
- Singapore
- Iraq (kind of a surprise but it's true!)
- Strongbadia
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Post by Timotheus »

HA! 298 days without a government + the waffle incident and still ahead of Canada. PROUD.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

sukidayo
Brand New Start

Post by sukidayo »

I just finished reading Hiroshi's solo camp. I want go to solo camp.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

In an effort to decrease time on FB and other brain cell-killing forms of social media (oh, but that doesn't include TABN), I've been reading a ton. One of the best books I've gone through lately is Midnight In Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster, by Adam Higginbotham. I love reading history books where you know the outcome (spoiler: it explodes and makes a really big mess) but the narrative is still gripping and suspenseful. It's a great read on the pros and cons of nuclear power, the foibles of governments or corporations that put policy and profits ahead of science (sound familiar?), and the pitfalls of groupthink during a crisis. Chernobyl was such a tragically preventable catastrophe...and in that sense it is very much like the Challenger disaster, the Exxon Valdez spill, 9-11, and World War 1.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

sukidayo
Brand New Start

Post by sukidayo »

I just finished reading Yojohan Time Machine Blues. Europe kikaku no butai wo mitaina!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Currently reading Gears of War: Jacinto's Remnant.

Gonna order 2 more Gears of War books I dont yet own later today. One just announced this morning and one already released last year. And then I gotta read 4 more Gears of War books I already own before getting to read the newest one :lol

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

Cities of Gold by Douglas Preston. He is one of my favorite authors of fiction but this is a non-fiction book he wrote early in his career in 1989 or so. The author concocted a crazy idea to ride horses for a thousand miles around Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado tracing the supposed route of an old Spanish explorer who was looking for mythical Indian cities full of gold. Problem is he didn’t know much about horses and turns out the Mexican he hired to wrangle them doesn’t know much either. He’s also traveling with a professional photographer and they meet dozens of colorful locals who share a bit history (which the author expand upon from outside sources). Apparently they almost die a few times but I haven’t gotten to that part yet.

Micky
On The Rail

I feel so dirty

Post by Micky »

Alright, so over the last year (literally) I have read the seven main stories in the Dark Tower series. A series I swore I would never read just to spite Cameron. But then, he threatened to murder my dog if I didn't read them, so I caved.

It's taken me literally a year because I cannot read straight through a series, I need to read something else in between so that way I can get a break from the universe and characters and have time to want to revisit them. What an emotional journey this series has been, but I'm ready to share my thoughts on each book (I actually have written a few notes about each one as I've read them. So...sorry for the long post.

But first off, bite me Cam.

The Gunslinger: I had tried reading this book multiple times and it just never grabbed me. Well, I finally sat through and read the book from front to back and it's okay. It's too short for an introduction to this world and doesn't really give you much time to fully understand everything that's going on. It's pretty boring until maybe the last 50 pages and in a 180 page book, that's saying something. 4/10.

The Drawing of Three: This was the book that really got me. While some of the book is a bit confusing at first, it eventually does make sense if you keep going. The parts of the book that take place on the plane are my favorite and I genuinely enjoyed this one from start to finish. Large leap from the first book. 8/10

The Waste Lands: This one was another large improvement. The characters have really come into their own and there's continued quality storytelling and the stakes continue to get raised. This is probably my second favorite of the whole series and it ends on one hell of a cliffhanger. 9/10

Wizard and Glass: This is the best book in the entire series, bar none. While the first three books upped the ante in each sequel and made the stakes larger and larger, this book does the exact opposite. It is more of a prequel, while still continuing the story of our main characters. It's a much more personal story that really is genuinely gripping and approachable. This is actually one of my favorite books of all time, I'd say. Outside of it being a dark tower novel, I'd say it's a genuinely great story in its own right. 9.5/10

Wolves of the Calla: This story is nowhere near as good as Book 2-4, and its much shorter in comparison. While this one continues the story of our main protagonists, and has one of my favorites moments I've ever read in any book (A bumbler named Oy, which is basically a mix of a raccoon and a dog that can talk, says in a tension filled moment "Oy be kiyet!" to let his friends now that he's going to be quiet), the story is kind of just there for me. They really start to create the "Stephen King-Verse" with this novel and even bring him into the story at this point in a very meta-way. While I think the idea of a "Stephen King-Verse" is a great idea, the book just doesn't have the stakes or appeal to me as any of the others aside from a really great action scene to end the book. 6/10

Song of Susannah: Ugh, this book. This was the only book I read directly after reading the previous one. Normally I take a break between books, but since this book was so short, I figured I'd just do it. I would actually go out on a limb here and say that this is the worst book in the series. The first book at least had a great action scene in it that I still remember, whereas the only thing I remember about this book is the ending. The ideas here are great, but it's the execution that's lacking and the whole "Stephen King being in the book" is basically the main plot of the book, whereas the other ideas feel rushed and unfocused. I think if the book was longer, it would probably have been better. There's a lot of potential here, wasted at that. 3/10

The Dark Tower: So, I just finished this book today actually and it's the one that took me the longest to read. I started it in January (!!!) and read it off and on for the last six months or so. Not because the book is bad or anything but finishing my bachelor's degree and all that took precedent. This book starts off really great with lots of really awesome moments, then lost me for a bit in the middle, and then got me hooked again, then lost me again, then hooked me again, etc. The action and main story here is great, but there's a lot of down time where there's just talking and talking and talking. I appreciate small character moments, but some of these go on for far too long.

Being the last of the main stories in the series, I feel like I should talk about the ending. It's satisfying, especially in comparison to other King stories. Flat out, he sucks at endings, so I was surprised at just how much I read this one and went "Yeah, that's not too bad." Nothing spectacular, but definitely acceptable. 7/10.

I know there's a side story in this series called The Wind Through The Keyhole, I just haven't read it yet. Since it's not a main part of the story, I figured I could read it when I have some downtime. Overall, the series had far more highs than lows and I'm somewhat happy that I read them, mostly because of Oy. He's my favorite character ever and I have a newfound hatred for spiders because of it.

Bye
Thanks Andy!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Wizard and Glass was so great... I miss reading those books for the first time..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

I was just thinking of Anne Rice. "The Witching Hour", one of the best horror novels I have ever read. If you want to read something you will never forget, Read that one. It's incredible and will scare the hell out of you. I loved it!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Wait til he sees what I do about the Wind Thru the Keyhole...

Post by zazthespaz »

I got Micky's dog sick so he would know I was serious about my threat and it worked - he finished The Dark Tower!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

I'd rate the Dark Tower series as follows:

The Gunslinger: 2/10
The Drawing of Three: 10
The Waste Lands: 9
Wizard and Glass: 10
Wolves of the Calla: 7
Song of Susannah: 7
The Dark Tower (first half): 3
The Dark Tower (second half): 7
The Ending: 10/10

Ultimately, I felt like the whole thing was worth it. But it starts and ends slow.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I mean, it's no Dark Tower, but...

Post by zazthespaz »

The Hail Mary Project. A friend suggested it to my mom who suggested it to the rest of the family and it's one of the better books I've read in a while so far. Apparently being made into a movie starring Ryan Gosling later, but don't let that dissuade you from reading it. I won't give away too much, but it's about a man who wakes up on a spaceship with amnesia and remembers he is on a mission to save the world. Him waking up with amnesia allows the story to be told in a linear timeline from that point on, but also allows him to reminisce on the events leading up to where he is allowing the backstory to be built up over time. Really unique writing style I think. Only about 1/3rd of the way through, but everyone I know who's read it loves it and I am too so far so check it out!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Must be nice to take book recommendations from your mom’s friend but not me.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Andy92 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:02 am Must be nice to take book recommendations from your mom’s friend but not me.
But is Stormlight Archive being made into a movie starring Ryan Gosling?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: An Deez Nuts.

Post by zazthespaz »

Timo gets it.

If it’s any consolation Andy, the author’s name is Andy.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:14 am
Andy92 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:02 am Must be nice to take book recommendations from your mom’s friend but not me.
But is Stormlight Archive being made into a movie starring Ryan Gosling?
One could only hope.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm currently reading the first Witcher book. No Ryan Gosling either, but still quite amuseable.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Anyone recommend audible? I'm making a 10+ hour drive today and figured it might be a good time to try audiobooks.
Thanks Andy!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: but if that’s the case, maybe get a book on commitment

Post by zazthespaz »

Micky wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:17 am Anyone recommend audible? I'm making a 10+ hour drive today and figured it might be a good time to try audiobooks.
No. But I read something recently saying libraries offer digital audiobooks so if you don’t want to commit to buying a book, you may be able to check your library’s website.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says