Books/What are you reading?

Talk about anything and everything here.
zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Also disappointed by the lack of color pictures.

Post by zazthespaz »

MaraCarr wrote:Im still working on Origin by Dan Brown. I am at the point in the book where a man is killed because he was about to reveal the secret of life and in doing so is going to upset major religious sects in the world. He was shot right before the worldwide announcement and now Langdon is on the case to discover what the secret is. :)
Ha! No way! I'm finishing it up currently (<100 pages left). It was a good read so far, but based on how his last book ended, I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed again.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

gbruin
MEGLADONG

*spoiler alert*

Post by gbruin »

MaraCarr wrote:Im still working on Origin by Dan Brown. I am at the point in the book where a man is killed because he was about to reveal the secret of life and in doing so is going to upset major religious sects in the world. He was shot right before the worldwide announcement and now Langdon is on the case to discover what the secret is. :)
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

zazthespaz wrote:
Ha! No way! I'm finishing it up currently (<100 pages left). It was a good read so far, but based on how his last book ended, I'm afraid I'm going to be disappointed again.
My favorite book he wrote is "The Lost Symbol". It doesn't disappoint. :)

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

zazthespaz wrote:

There is some really awesome images here that follow along with his books. I love it because he combines real places and historical facts with fiction. https://langdonsworld.com/category/origin/01-prologue/ The link takes you to an awesome website. :D

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: *spoiler alert*

Post by MaraCarr »

gbruin wrote:
I am on chapter 31.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Let me grab my towel first.

Post by zazthespaz »

MaraCarr wrote:
zazthespaz wrote:

There is some really awesome images here that follow along with his books. I love it because he combines real places and historical facts with fiction. https://langdonsworld.com/category/origin/01-prologue/ The link takes you to an awesome website. :D
That's really cool! Thanks for sharing! I've been wondering what a lot of these places look like!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Post by MaraCarr »

You are so welcome! I love Dan Brown ever since I bought "The DaVinci Code" illustrated version. It opened me up to what kind author he was and what kind I want to be.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Last book I read was Stephen King's JFK novel, 11/22/63. Long and epic, kinda tedious and dry in places.

Just started The Empire Of The Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne. Another one that's looking long and tedious about the Comanche wars.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I just finished reading Starsight (sequel to a book called Skyward) by Brandon Sanderson. Mostly because I tend to pick up all of his new releases. I like his fantasy novels more than his science fiction ones but I do enjoy this series too.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

I recently finished The Institute by Stephen King, I tend to read any book that he puts out. This was probably the first book of his, outside of The Dark Tower, that I genuinely didn't care for. Took too long for the story to really start going and the main story just seems to drag on for the first 300 pages. The last 200 pages are really good, but out of 500+ pages, only having 1/3 of your pages be good isn't saying much.
Thanks Andy!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

And entropy is really just the economics of energy, so it's all just $$$

Post by gbruin »

Glad to see more people are picking up books these days. It's a great way to do something productive while staying at home.

Almost done with Naked Economics by Charles Wheelan. Super cool layperson primer on economic theory and macroeconomics. Lots of really fun and easy to understand examples of how economic theories explain everyday behavior (be it right or wrong), which supports my long held contention that every action by every object in the universe can be explained by either physics or money.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Micky wrote:I recently finished The Institute by Stephen King, I tend to read any book that he puts out. This was probably the first book of his, outside of The Dark Tower, that I genuinely didn't care for. Took too long for the story to really start going and the main story just seems to drag on for the first 300 pages. The last 200 pages are really good, but out of 500+ pages, only having 1/3 of your pages be good isn't saying much.
What do you think of “The Outsider” I haven’t read the book but got hooked on the HBO series. It’s unique!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: And entropy is really just the economics of energy, so it's all just $$$

Post by MaraCarr »

gbruin wrote:Glad to see more people are picking up books these days. It's a great way to do something productive while staying at home.

Almost done with Naked Economics by Charles Wheelan. Super cool layperson primer on economic theory and macroeconomics. Lots of really fun and easy to understand examples of how economic theories explain everyday behavior (be it right or wrong), which supports my long held contention that every action by every object in the universe can be explained by either physics or money.
That’s something I am interested in. I read the “The Tipping Point”. I have a hard time with economics and it’s really a subject I would love to “Master” one day!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

The Birth of Loud: Leo Fender, Les Paul, and the Guitar-pioneering Rivalry That Shaped Rock 'N' Roll, by Ian S Port. Cool history. I didn't realize that Les Paul was such a successful commercial performer with so many hit songs in the 50's.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

MaraCarr wrote:What do you think of “The Outsider” I haven’t read the book but got hooked on the HBO series. It’s unique!
The Outsider was one of my favorite books I have ever read. I actually sent Andy a copy of it for his birthday!
The series was fantastic, and I'm interested to see where it goes with season 2! I just purchased King's new book, If It Bleeds, which is a sequel to the outsider, so I will let you know how that is!

I just finished Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, and what a wonderful book. It's dark, twisted and genuinely gripping. I'll give it an 8/10, because I felt the book could have realistically ended 20-25 pages sooner, but aside from that, great!
Thanks Andy!

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

I started the new Stephen King book this morning, and it is a collection of 4 short stories. I'm going to give my thoughts on each one individually, then grade the book as a whole.

The first story was Mr. Harrigan's Phone:

The story is one that I felt had the potential to be a couple hundred pages long, but here is only 88. King writes the story well, and when it gets going, it gets going, but I felt it never reached it's full potential in terms of "scary". There was some genuinely creepy moments, but all in all, it felt more like a social commentary on how addicted we are to our phones as opposed to telling a story.

7/10

Going to also say that this is already better than The Dark Tower. Fuck the Dark tower!
Thanks Andy!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Free ebook offer for The Way of Kings on Monday.

https://www.facebook.com/76967918204/po ... 83205/?d=n

Don’t wanna hear any excuses now.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Next on Micky's list: Fuck breathing! iT sUcKs. WaTeR dOeS ToO!

Post by zazthespaz »

Micky wrote:Going to also say that this is already better than The Dark Tower. Fuck the Dark tower!
Did you even read the whole series!?!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Micky
On The Rail

Such a baby

Post by Micky »

zazthespaz wrote:
Micky wrote:Going to also say that this is already better than The Dark Tower. Fuck the Dark tower!
Did you even read the whole series!?!
No I didn’t. Book one was horrible and by the book, I mean the first 30 pages. They were bad, like terrible two’s bad, infant diarrhea bad, Scott Stapp live in ‘09 bad!

As for your subject line, I wouldn’t compare the dark tower to air or water, as those are essential needs for humans to survive. If anything, the dark tower is the opposite of that. I will never ever give the dark tower a chance again, I tried twice and both times felt like a kick in the nuts, so I’m sorry but that’s as far from essential as it gets, and you know I’m all about the essentials baby!

saying this all satirically, of course. But seriously fuck the dark tower
Last edited by Micky on Sun May 03, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks Andy!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: you made me lose my punctuation

Post by Timotheus »

dear lord micky what are you saying
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.