Books/What are you reading?

Talk about anything and everything here.
Micky
On The Rail

Why don't you meet me half way?

Post by Micky »

Thanks buddy. I'll check it out! I made a new Amazon Prime account (That I will cancel in a few days) to get a free audiobook for the ride on audible.
Thanks Andy!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Have you heard of Brandon Sanderson?

Post by zazthespaz »

Micky wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:19 am Thanks buddy. I'll check it out! I made a new Amazon Prime account (That I will cancel in a few days) to get a free audiobook for the ride on audible.
Oh then definitely do that today :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I need more work hours so I can listen to it.

Post by zazthespaz »

Micky wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:19 am Thanks buddy. I'll check it out! I made a new Amazon Prime account (That I will cancel in a few days) to get a free audiobook for the ride on audible.
Did you get a good book? I just got an email that I get a free audiobook from Amazon too.

I listen to enough podcasts, I wonder if I’ll have the patience to add an audiobook to that list too.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Micky
On The Rail

Re: I need more work hours so I can listen to it.

Post by Micky »

zazthespaz wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Did you get a good book? I just got an email that I get a free audiobook from Amazon too.

I listen to enough podcasts, I wonder if I’ll have the patience to add an audiobook to that list too.
I listened to The Way of Kings, since I am currently reading it and got pretty far in it through the audiobook. I recently reread some of the chapters I went through though because I felt that the audiobook didn't resonate with me as much. Worth it though!
Thanks Andy!

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Post by davidstvz »

I read a lot of Michael Crichton as a teen, and for lack of new material discovered a writing duo in the same genre: Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. They've got nearly 30 books between them and another dozen individually. I hadn't read any of their stuff in 5 years, but several months ago I started rereading all of their work chronologically. I've got 3 books left (the last having been published just days ago). Anyone read these guys? (I'm expecting crickets in response to this question :-) ).

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Bitcoin and Blockchains by Antony Lewis

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I finished the 7th Wheel of Time book a few days ago and started the 8th. The Wheel just keeps turning and turning…
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Andy92 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:51 am I finished the 7th Wheel of Time book a few days ago and started the 8th. The Wheel just keeps turning and turning…
Have you been following the Amazon series? I've seen it myself and thought it was quite entertaining, but most book readers I know are quite upset with the changes they've made.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Timotheus wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:44 am
Andy92 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:51 am I finished the 7th Wheel of Time book a few days ago and started the 8th. The Wheel just keeps turning and turning…
Have you been following the Amazon series? I've seen it myself and thought it was quite entertaining, but most book readers I know are quite upset with the changes they've made.
I watched all of the Amazon season yeah. I think overall it made for pretty good tv but it’s really not a very faithful adaptation of the books. I’m kinda torn on it because I like fantasy tv shows and want it to do well, but I pretty much have to separate it from the books to really get into watching it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Reading Halo: Silent Storm the first of 3 new books I got for xmas this year. They're all Halo novels. :lol

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Maybe Napoleon needed a solid nap

Post by gbruin »

Just finished a book called Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker. Lots of interesting discussion and studies as to the benefits and importance of good and consistent sleep hygiene. It's a good book for the public with a lot of pretty important principles, especially if you are raising children. I found some of the scientific basis for his claims a bit lacking as he doesn't go into enough detail, but it overall does back up my opinion that I'm pretty pretty much fucked for doing 22 years of shift work in the ER.

Currently reading Moscow 1812: Napoleon's Fatal March by Adam Zamoyski. It's a fascinating look into the varied social/political//military/historical components that led one really successful dude to make an unlikely series of really terrible decisions. Damn I love history book like this. It's brilliant.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I've still not read any of his books because I suck but guessing our resident fantasy nerds are excited about the Sanderson stuff? How do you covertly write 5 books.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Ubik wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:54 am I've still not read any of his books because I suck but guessing our resident fantasy nerds are excited about the Sanderson stuff? How do you covertly write 5 books.
He made a lot better time out of lockdown than I did…

Looks like he’s releasing 4/5 but I already backed the Kickstarter to get the hardcover versions of them all lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I wonder what George Martin did during lockdown...
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: One nerdy medium wasn’t enough

Post by zazthespaz »

Timotheus wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:29 am I wonder what George Martin did during lockdown...
Apparently wrote the mythos for the Elden Ring video game.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Only 60 years later...

Post by gbruin »

I rarely read fiction, but after starting a bit of the movie on a flight and being pretty clueless, I broke down and read Dune. I really enjoyed it and I was surprised at how quickly I got through it. Looking forward to the obligatory multiple sequels.

To Tame A Land is a bit clearer to me now, too.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Why you do Chani like that?

Post by gbruin »

Dune: Messiah. Kind of a letdown after the original, but I get where the author was going. On to :Children

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Colleen Hoover… Verity

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Children of Dune

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

It is going to be a Movie! A great movie!

Post by MaraCarr »

So on my flights to Vegas and from Vegas for the concert, I have been reading this book my daughter told me about. From the very first page you can't stop reading it. At times it is so twisted that I often wonder about the Author's Sanity...but it is good and I can promise will be a movie soon. It is written...simple and well and I get a clear image from the words. It will be a blockbuster! Just Sayin..

Its called Verity by Colleen Hoover! Im almost done with it but so far it has been phenomenal.

Such a twisted ending … I love it!