Books/What are you reading?

Talk about anything and everything here.
sumanth
Brand New Start

Re: Books/What are you reading?

Post by sumanth »

Since I see a lot of posts related to fantasy fiction, you guys might wanna check out The Demon Cycle books by Peter V Brett. Some of the best fantasy written in recent times. The first two books of the series The Painted Man and The Desert Spear are out. Pretty sure you'll enjoy the books.

Also for those into slightly weirder fantasy fiction check out China Mieville's books. Easily one of the most original and inventive authors I've come across. Has some sci-fi influences in his work as well. This guy is really brilliant.
Do check out Neil Gaiman's work as well.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Mievelle has a nicely messed up mind, enjoy what I've read of him.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I just finished March, by Geraldine Brooks. I didn't like it very much.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I started A Song of Ice and Fire recently, and I'm on page 300-something of A Feast For Crows. Really amazing story so far. I like how basically no one in the series apart from maybe one or two characters are actually what you would call 'good' or 'heroic.'

Everyone hates on the last two books of the series compared to the first three, but I'm absolutely flying through this one. Good stuff.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I like the fifth book better than the second book, so don't worry about that ;) the 4th one is the least one of the series imo, but it's still really good..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Yeah I looked up reviews online and everyone says the fourth book is the worst, but I guess the worst book in a series this good is better than half of what's out there. I just gotta get my hands on A Dance With Dragons.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I finished the first volume of In Search of Lost Time and it was fantastic. I'm taking a break in between books (I also need to track down the second one) and am reading Fahrenheit 451 again. There's a kind of online book club I want to participate in about it.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

steve987
Bought The CDs

Post by steve987 »

Just finished A Game of Thrones, amazing book, gonna buy the next book pretty soon :D
"Cause the Sun always sets, The moon always falls, It feels like the end, Just pay no mind at all, Keep rolling, rolling, Life must go on."

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I have the daunting task of re-reading Stephen Kings Dark Tower series. I have no idea why I do this to myself, lol.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I started reading Thus Spake Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche. It's a... wow, yeah, it's a tough read. I'm about 70 pages in and the book seems to be compromised of a lot of short, connected parables involving a wise man (who is basically Nietzsche) coming down from his time in the mountains to educate the people about his musings on life. It's dense and slow (there are a lot of thou's, ye's, thee's, etc.) but it's really interesting. Just like Proust, I have to unravel this beautiful language to get at the meaning inside. It's a fun process but it takes time and a lot of concentration. Luckily, there are some brief explanations for many of the parables in the back and that has helped me.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

darkstorm97 wrote:I have the daunting task of re-reading Stephen Kings Dark Tower series. I have no idea why I do this to myself, lol.
An excellent series. I've reread them three or four times. Never gets boring. I just wait a few months, until I start forgetting things about the story, then I dive in again. Personally my favorite book series. Although A Song of Ice and Fire is rivaling it so far. I'll have to compare the two again once the last two books in ASOIAF come out.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Because any book turned into a movie is worth reading. :

Post by zazthespaz »

Arctic wrote:
darkstorm97 wrote:I have the daunting task of re-reading Stephen Kings Dark Tower series. I have no idea why I do this to myself, lol.
An excellent series. I've reread them three or four times. Never gets boring. I just wait a few months, until I start forgetting things about the story, then I dive in again. Personally my favorite book series. Although A Song of Ice and Fire is rivaling it so far. I'll have to compare the two again once the last two books in ASOIAF come out.
Where were you guys when I said I finished the series a month ago? Excellent series, the Wind Through the Keyhole, although not a direct part of the series, was a good read as well. The Belgian Waffle recommended I read the Fire and Ice series, hearing a second suggestion is further inclination to do so. However, I'm currently reading the Hunger Game series, resolved to a while ago, all of my family has and with it now a movie series, I figure I better.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I still haven't read Keyhole, I need to though. I read the Hunger Games series in about three days, it's really fast paced stuff, some of the fastest I've ever read.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

i had to read a book called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" for my english class. its actually pretty good. About a kid with autism (who narrates) who tries to solve the murder mystery of the neighbors dog, but while he is looking for the killer he realizes the secret of why his mom left his family. Its pretty cool how the author lets us know how hard it is for him to communicate and follow simple actions because he doesnt understand them. good read

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

^I have that and I am definitely planning on reading it. A lot of people have recommended it to me.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

Reading Contact.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Just read two books on The Band: 'Across The Great Divide' by Barney Hoskyns and 'This Wheel's on Fire' by Levon Helm... A couple days ago I started 'The Fellowship of the Ring'... and so it begins.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

I'm reading The Great Big Book of Horrible Things: The Definitive Chronicle of History's 100 Worst Atrocities.

It's surprisingly entertaining, if you can get past the tragic ability of the world's greatest murders to devalue human life.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ashlee
Site Admin

Post by Ashlee »

Does anyone have an Amazon Prime account? I'm considering getting it. I have a Kindle, and my husband could probably use the video service. I'm just wondering if the "borrowing" system for the books is worth it. Do they have a lot of good titles? I know The Hunger Games has that feature, but I was wondering if it's worth it. If I borrow 8 books in a year the membership has paid for itself.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

husband....? :facepalm