People who like a band's older material BETTER

Talk about anything and everything here.
Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: People who like a band's older material BETTER

Post by Blackbird »

anguyen92 wrote:^^ All right, yeah, you may have a point regarding bands like Shinedown and Saliva, but I really enjoyed Breaking Benjamin's Dark Before Dawn and Dear Agony.

Another band I may want to add is Seether. Somehow, they just did not appeal to me after their Karma and Effect album for some reason.

Oddly enough, though, regarding old bands like Iron Maiden and Rush, I'm more inclined to enjoy The Book of Souls and Clockwork Angels over The Number of the Beast and Moving Pictures (still good stuff though).
That's interesting because I feel like BB have peaked at Phobia. Dear Agony and Dark Before Dawn are enjoyable albums, but they mostly lack the great melodies of Phobia and seem a bit uninspired to me. Still way better than their first two albums.

For Seether, I'm probably one of the very few fans who think that Finding Beauty is their best album by far. It's way more melodious than their previous work and a lot better than the albums they've released afterwards.

Regarding Shinedown - yeah, they get worse with every album. It's not that I find it particularly bad if a band softens up, but they produce more and more generic and extremely boring pop-rock. There are tons of actual pop songs I can enjoy more than Misfits or Thick As Thieves from their current record.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Blackbird wrote: Regarding Shinedown - yeah, they get worse with every album. It's not that I find it particularly bad if a band softens up, but they produce more and more generic and extremely boring pop-rock. There are tons of actual pop songs I can enjoy more than Misfits or Thick As Thieves from their current record.
That's a funny thing. Those are the few songs I genuinely like from that album. Other songs like Black Cadillac felt too bland for me, and State of My Head felt very wrong for a Shinedown song to me. It's also quite telling that a Japanese bonus track, Never Gonna Let Go, which felt more like a solid Daughtry/Nickelback ballad song was more enjoyable than the majority of Threat To Survival.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

anguyen92 wrote:
Blackbird wrote: Regarding Shinedown - yeah, they get worse with every album. It's not that I find it particularly bad if a band softens up, but they produce more and more generic and extremely boring pop-rock. There are tons of actual pop songs I can enjoy more than Misfits or Thick As Thieves from their current record.
That's a funny thing. Those are the few songs I genuinely like from that album. Other songs like Black Cadillac felt too bland for me, and State of My Head felt very wrong for a Shinedown song to me. It's also quite telling that a Japanese bonus track, Never Gonna Let Go, which felt more like a solid Daughtry/Nickelback ballad song was more enjoyable than the majority of Threat To Survival.
Yeah, I don't like State Of My Head at all. Black Cadillac is okay, but I rarely listen to it because there are so many better songs around.

I really think that Misfits is by far the worst Song Shinedown have ever written. It's extremely boring, it's got disgusting lyrics (Brent has had serious drug problems in the past, yet he sings about "drinking way too much, getting way too high" or something like that), and I absolutely hate the melody to a point where I get angry when I hear that song. Once again a proof how different the musical tastes even of people who listen to the same bands are. ^^

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

See for me.. With Shinedown; I just won't listen to the new stuff whatsoever. I might like State Of My Head if it comes on my shuffle once in a while, and that "breakdown" in Black Cadillac doesn't piss me off... But I think, 'why listen to the new stuff when the old stuff is SO much better? Why choose one over the other?'

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

Gingerella72 wrote:I think your geographical location might matter, too. I live in small-town Nebraska....there aren't any radio stations here that play hard rock. We have ONE classic rock station here that seems to play nothing but Led Zeppelin and Foghat....but if you're not into country or rap/top 40 pop, you're shit out of luck. And you're only going to get exposed to new music if you go and seek it out on the internet. If I want to see bands I like, I have to travel several hours to Lincoln or Omaha, or make the trek to Denver or Kansas City. Last night Brett Michaels and Lita Ford played our county fair, and I bet you money that it was sold out because they're "nostalgia acts" that people here can relate to. If a band like Alter Bridge or any of the big hard rock bands popular today came through here, no one would have ever heard of them. Unless you live in a big metropolitan area, or you love music so much that you intentionally go and seek out new stuff online, you're just not going to get exposed to new rock bands.

That said, I'm guilty of preferring to listen to some bands' earlier stuff than new, Def Leppard is the perfect example. But then when Steve Clark died, I had no interest in keeping up with them so perhaps it's just my personal bias.
I find this really interesting. I think that in Europe pretty much nobody cares about radio and new music travels really really fast via internet and there aren't a lot of bands that are popular in one country and not in the other. Alter Bridge being one of the exceptions for example

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Nicklord wrote: I think that in Europe pretty much nobody cares about radio and new music travels really really fast via internet and there aren't a lot of bands that are popular in one country and not in the other. Alter Bridge being one of the exceptions for example
Yeah, agreed. It's always looked a bit weird to me when people hype about radio, it's just not that big here. :D
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Sometimes I wonder if i'm really that good at judging music objectively.

Like, whether its good or bad. I mean, sometimes my personal biases get in the way.

And YEAH sure u can talk all day about the technical aspects of music, but I mean,
regardless.....

Like, it's STILL hard for me to do so, sometimes.

I think.

I hope that makes sense.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

cheesedip1 wrote:Sometimes I wonder if i'm really that good at judging music objectively.

Like, whether its good or bad. I mean, sometimes my personal biases get in the way.

And YEAH sure u can talk all day about the technical aspects of music, but I mean,
regardless.....

Like, it's STILL hard for me to do so, sometimes.

I think.

I hope that makes sense.
Judging music objectively is almost impossible if you ask me. That's the reason why I don't give a damn about "professional" music reviews. If you like the song you're listening to, you'll likely give it a higher rating no matter how good it might be "objectively". Even then, what are the criteria? How hard it is to play the song? I bet there are tons of demanding songs out there that are totally bad. On the other hand, I know very simple songs that I really like just because they contain a harmony I can really dig, or touch me in some way.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Blackbird wrote:On the other hand, I know very simple songs that I really like just because they contain a harmony I can really dig, or touch me in some way.
I concur. I think that is one of the main reasons why I just enjoy Post-Grunge/Modern Alternative Metal moreso than anything classic rock or metal and why I feel like I got to make my opinions heard when I hear someone deride Breaking Benjamin's Dark Before Dawn and Saint Astonia's self-titled as being too bland and paint-by-numbers modern rock. There's a certain charm in those albums that I like hearing from those kinds of bands while bands like Shinedown and Three Days Days are lacking that charm in their latest albums.

Right now, in my favorite albums of the year, I got Black Stone Cherry's Kentucky above a lot of the "metal" albums I've heard this year. Gojira, Megadeth, Anthrax, Tremonti, Dream Theater, etc. Some of those albums are great albums from a musical/technical standpoint, and I like to think I enjoy hearing those albums (with the exception of Megadeth's new album), but in terms of actual personal enjoyment of the songs, Kentucky is just always a blast to hear because I like hearing and enjoying that sort of sound the most and I had problems enjoying their last two previous albums.

Some people say that "despite their claims that they are going back to their roots from their first two albums, they keep going more into radio-friendly Nickelback-like songs,), but I do not see it that way. I mean what is a Nickelback-type song, really, and how did it relate to the material in BSC's Kentucky?

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

anguyen92 wrote:
Blackbird wrote:Right now, in my favorite albums of the year, I got Black Stone Cherry's Kentucky above a lot of the "metal" albums I've heard this year. Gojira, Megadeth, Anthrax, Tremonti, Dream Theater, etc. Some of those albums are great albums from a musical/technical standpoint, and I like to think I enjoy hearing those albums (with the exception of Megadeth's new album), but in terms of actual personal enjoyment of the songs, Kentucky is just always a blast to hear because I like hearing and enjoying that sort of sound the most and I had problems enjoying their last two previous albums.

Some people say that "despite their claims that they are going back to their roots from their first two albums, they keep going more into radio-friendly Nickelback-like songs,), but I do not see it that way. I mean what is a Nickelback-type song, really, and how did it relate to the material in BSC's Kentucky?
BSC is a band I really enjoy, and I've seen them live a couple of times now (they come to Germany like three times a year, they really seem to love this place xD). Kentucky is definitely a step in the right direction after Magic Mountain, which is BY FAR their worst album yet. There's literally only one song off it that I like and that's Me And Mary Jane. The rest is extremely uninspired and monotonous. Imho their best album to date is Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea, and it's a lot better than Kentucky if you ask me, but like I said, at least it's definitely better than Magic Mountain.

In regards to the Nickleback comparison... Both bands make southern rock, right? The difference is that Nickleback, at least with their singles, do pop-rock while BSC are clearly doing pure rock. They've got some softer songs though that are very poppy, and those DO sound similar to Nickleback songs. But really, the only song on Kentucky that could be described as such is Long Ride. The rest is nowhere near the Nickleback material I know.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Do people who review songs on music websites have biases? Like, they have friends in the company who unofficially "have influence" on them to write good reviews for certain songs?

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

I don't know. Probably, like in every industry, but I'd guess those are the minority. If someone gave the new Shinedown record 5/5 stars it's probably because they've lost their sense of good music. xD

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

cheesedip1 wrote:Do people who review songs on music websites have biases? Like, they have friends in the company who unofficially "have influence" on them to write good reviews for certain songs?
From what I know, as my sister dabbled in writing reviews for years, not exactly. I mean they're subjective, but only when it comes to what they like and dislike. But then again I'm talking mostly metal here, I don't know how it is when it comes to big rock names.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Maybe slightly off topic, but I would like to think it goes well regarding how music tastes in history could change.

Well, here's a question that pops out of my mind.

Are there any classic bands that you guys hate more than the modern pop acts (that sells stadiums and arenas) of today?

I keep thinking. Some people may have this mentality of the whole "I don't like today's music genres, the music genres of the past is so much better," and "I wish those acts of today would burn in hell" or something like that. It gives me the thought that, hey, I may be more inclined to dislike certain classic rock bands like KISS or Motley Crue than today's modern pop acts like Beyonce and TSwift (even though their music does not really appeal to me).

Thoughts?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, I'm not a fan of the glam/hair metal period. That's probably my least favorite genre ever, even though there's still some stuff in there that I enjoy.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

anguyen92 wrote:Maybe slightly off topic, but I would like to think it goes well regarding how music tastes in history could change.

Well, here's a question that pops out of my mind.

Are there any classic bands that you guys hate more than the modern pop acts (that sells stadiums and arenas) of today?

I keep thinking. Some people may have this mentality of the whole "I don't like today's music genres, the music genres of the past is so much better," and "I wish those acts of today would burn in hell" or something like that. It gives me the thought that, hey, I may be more inclined to dislike certain classic rock bands like KISS or Motley Crue than today's modern pop acts like Beyonce and TSwift (even though their music does not really appeal to me).

Thoughts?
I hate all classic rock and current pop music equally. Dont discriminate.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I think OP was right on point with the first post - bands have basically all their lives to construct and formulate their first album (especially if it's not a new band forming later after members have had success with other projects). Submersed's In Due Time is a prime example - an album that the members worked on for years, and even had to re-record a few times because of label shenanigans. Once it finally got released, it was polished and about as close to rock perfection as a band can get. Same with Halestorm. I like Halestorm, but their follow up albums just haven't held a candle to their first one. Submersed went downhill with the second album but that was also due to Eric not being involved.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Blackbird wrote: BSC is a band I really enjoy, and I've seen them live a couple of times now (they come to Germany like three times a year, they really seem to love this place xD). Kentucky is definitely a step in the right direction after Magic Mountain, which is BY FAR their worst album yet. There's literally only one song off it that I like and that's Me And Mary Jane. The rest is extremely uninspired and monotonous. Imho their best album to date is Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea, and it's a lot better than Kentucky if you ask me, but like I said, at least it's definitely better than Magic Mountain.
Well you can't discount Holding On.. To Letting Go, Never Surrender and Bad Luck & Hard Love.. My 2 favourites from MM, but I see what you're saying in regards to it's strength..

I was with them on the road when they were writing pretty much all of Kentucky, and we kept talking about Folklore & Superstition and how the fans (especially in the UK and Germany) love that southern, "homestyle" sound they captured so perfectly. The story telling and talking about their lives back home. It was a key point of theirs when writing the Kentucky material to go back to what they love writing about without the big wigs giving each song the nod or the sack.

I'm over the top proud of them with Kentucky and I'm really looking forward to them touring pretty much the whole record when they come over here in November

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Also,
In a recent interview for Planet Rock; Chris from BSC said "if your band doesn't know what type of music your fans want to hear and that you like to make after 10 years of doing it? Then what the hell are you doin?" and I'm REALLY with him on this. There's nothing worse than a band changing their sound SO much (*cough* Shinedown) to bend to what they think will gain them more YouTube views or Facebook likes.. It loses them loyal fans. That's why BSC have gone back to that un-tweaked, homestyle rock n roll sound.

It's actually interesting we talk about this and Black Stone Cherry, because their first album actually has a large number of songs they haven't and absolutely won't play anymore. Just because they're not that appreciated anymore. Hell & High Water for example, When The Weight Comes Down, Violator Girl.. Songs the fans arent longing for... BUT there are songs on 'Folklore' that the fans are crying out for still...

It's all very interesting to see what era of a band's history REALLY captures their fanbases ears forever

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Honestly, I'd lost track of BSC for their last couple albums, but I like what I'm reading here. Going to check into them again. :)
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.