The UFC/Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
AHart96
Rise Today

The UFC/Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Post by AHart96 »

In honor of UFC 200 tonight, I figured it was about time this thread got started. MMA is one of my favorite sports and has been one of the fastest growing sports in the world over the past decade. I know there a few fans on here, so this is a place to discuss your favorite fighters, styles and moments as well as talk about current happenings in the sport such as Jon Jones' recent USADA drug test failure.

I'm really looking forward to tonight, the card is absolutely stacked top to bottom with 2 title fights and plety of star studded matchups involving former champions. To get this thread started, My predictions for the fights. Comment with your picks if you're watching tonight!

MAIN CARD:
Tate
Hunt (Pulling for Lesnar)
Cormier
Edgar
Velasquez

PRELIMS:
Zingano
Gastelum (Pulling for Hendricks)
Dillashaw
Northcutt
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

AliceMudgarden
White Knuckled

Re: The UFC/Mixed Martial Arts Thread

Post by AliceMudgarden »

I'll be watching the prelims but not the main card (Will get the results from neogaf. They always post animated gifs of the endings) Anyways, my predictions:

MAIN CARD:
Miesha Tate
Brock Lesnar (If Lesnar decides to stand up with Hunt, I see Hunt knocking him out. If he goes for multiple takedowns and is successful, I see Lesnar winning either a decision or by ground and pound)
Cormier (Tho I'm hoping for an upset by Silva)
José Aldo (Tho I'm hoping Edgar gets the win. I could see this being the FOTN for the main card)
Travis Browne

PRELIMS:
Cat Zingano (FOTN for the Prelims)
Johny Hendricks
T.J. Dillashaw
Nice fight so far by Marín and Northcutt. Third and final round coming up.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I watched the original UFC's in the 90's. I liked it then because of the clash of styles. Nothing like seeing a wrestler kick a little karate guys ass. But now everyone is the same. Same build, black trunks, same hybrid style. Kind of dulled it for me.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

RavishingRik
On The Rail

Post by RavishingRik »

I love MMA.

UFC 200 was a cracking event!

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Definitely was a great card. Truly enjoyed 200!

I was surprised they didn't announce the sale of the UFC during the weekend, I thought that was the most fitting time to do it. Four billion is a large chunk of change...
Rock Never Dies

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDD Brock Lesnar just got flagged by the USADA for a failed drug test....there goes his reputation and UFC career. Wonder how this affects his WWE career as well
Rock Never Dies

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Looking forward to CM Punk's debut next weekend. Hope he gets a chance to punch-a-size Mickey's stupid face a few times.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

MMA is my sport man... Love it. Trained for many years, quite decent at it.

I honestly really hope Punk is sandbagging in his videos. He honestly looks atrocious, even for amateur level. I very much believe I could beat Cm Punk in an MMA fight based on his training videos.

Come fight night we will see, but he is not growing near as fast as say Lesnar did. To be one million percent honest, Punk looks absolutely terrible for someone who's been training for 15 months. Let alone about to make their UFC debut. Hope I'm wrong, I very much hope Punk wins.

But if I were to bet money, I'd bet on Mickey Gall.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Are you talking about the Evolution of Punk videos? Yeah, I've been scared that he looks pretty bad in those, but I'm trying to remember most of those are from months ago. He looks a bit better in this latest one, the Cult of Personality video. Speaking of which, I'm so fucking hyped to hear that song play Saturday night and see him come out. Even if he gets tapped out in the first round (Mickey looks like a quick, wiry strong kid), I'll be happy to see Punk do this thing. Finally.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Hahaha fair play to punk at the weigh in.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Punk lost, pretty badly.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Yeah that was quite the bust.

Think he may be the first fighter ever to not throw or land a single strike before losing.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Looked like that was gonna happen based on the training/documentary videos. I'm a massive wraslin' fan and I always thought he looked clumsy in the ring. There's something uncoordinated about the way he moves. It was very ignorant of him to think he stood a chance imo. You can't learn to fight at an elite level in a couple of years. The fight demonstrated that. Shame.