What music drives you nuts?

Talk about anything and everything here.
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

What music drives you nuts?

Post by One Drew Remains »

So Im on my way to a couple's weekend that my church denomination is affiliated with, with my wife. And she has the Christian radio station on. Now, I understand the message is good, but the music is SOOO boring. There was a part in the middle of one song where there was 8 bars where there could have been a lead line, acapella, or a solo, and the dude just strummed the same chords he had been playing all song. So uninspired. Yet this person is highly regarded in the genre.

It got me thinking, what genres of music drive you nuts, and why? Maybe someone here can shed some light on something that you may be missing.

Discuss.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: What music drives you nuts?

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Any sort of Religious gospel music.
Any sort of Rap music.
Any sort of Hip-Hop music.
Any sort of R&B music.
Any sort of Country music.
Any sort of Seasonal music.
Any sort of EDM/Dance Music
Some Dubstep
Last edited by SHEAKENBAKEN on Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Most of the pop country crap that every one in my town loves. Terrible. Also fucking hate this new wave of mumble rap bullshit.
Thanks Timo!

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Lol, I have no idea what mumble rap is.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

To me, that would be EDM. I'm just not a fan of the wub-wub and stuff like that. Also, I've seen some EDM live streams and it's mainly one guy in front of the crowd with his turntable and laptops and stuff, mainly fist-pumping and getting people to get hyped before the beat drops. It just doesn't scream a great live performance from the EDM "musician."

That stated, I know there are some good EDM musicians and, for me, that would be Lindsey Stirling, since you know she's playing violin and she's got a solid backup band (keyboardist and drums) and that any song that had studio vocals, vocals would used as a backing track. I mean she's got a fair amount of different vocalist in her latest album and to ask one person to replicate them all would be a stretch, nowadays.

Heck, I might as well say modern post-grunge rock and I love modern post-grunge rock. It just frustrates me, sometimes, of how bands like Shinedown and Skillet are sounding in their latest albums compared to their albums like Us and Them and Comatose (10 years ago!!!!) even though I know this is probably how they want their music to sound nowadays. Boy, that sounds hypocritical especially when I, for one, like the modern-day AB and don't care much to go back to the way they were in 2004-2006.

Aside from that, I'm open to a lot of things as long as the message is honest and has a solid and coherent narrative and sounds tolerable.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

Babymetal.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

The Plotblocker wrote:Babymetal.
THIS!!! MAN, SO MUCH THIS!! Fuck that crap-ass band. A bunch of people I know like them and I'm like wtf people
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Babymetal are awesome :D

Buskers that only know a few chords on an out of tune guitar.

Bit of a copout answer, because there's really not a lot of music that drives me nuts. I can tolerate almost everything.
Last edited by Timotheus on Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

They really are not. Generic heavy backing music with shitty paedo bait kids squealing J-Pop crap over the top. Just fucking awful in every way.
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

The Plotblocker wrote:They really are not. Generic heavy backing music with shitty paedo bait kids squealing J-Pop crap over the top. Just fucking awful in every way.
^ Pretty much how I feel as well.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Lotha wrote:
The Plotblocker wrote:They really are not. Generic heavy backing music with shitty paedo bait kids squealing J-Pop crap over the top. Just fucking awful in every way.
^ Pretty much how I feel as well.
It's so fake and contrived too. If Simon Cowell did that over here the metal lovers would be going ballistic over it. But because it's Japan it's somehow ok

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

They're fun and their music is a lot more creative than most metal nowadays. Their live shows are incredible as well.

Not to mention how great their musicians are.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Growling/gagging/cookie monster noises in place of singing. It's not aggressive, it's just laughable/annoying.
Worse: singers who can actually sing starting to do that, I suppose for radio play :/

I think a lot of the genres are full of so many different things it's hard for me to say. Most modern country music just sounds like pop with a faux twang accent and [insert lyrics about pickup truck] but there is some Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, and stuff that got labeled alt-country that is great.

A lot of electronic music is of no interest to me and isn't even danceable. That wubby stuff just hurts my inner ears and makes me want to run away. There are a few electronic bands that are among my favorites but their music could be (and sometimes is) played on other instruments too.

Also not a fan of the staple gun drum effect which has taken over hard rock.
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

Really popular electronic music is so shitty today. I love electronic music, give me some Eric Prydz, Ritchie Hawtin, Mark Knight or even someone like Oliver Heldens any day but I just can't figure out how David Guetta and guys like him got that popular. Saw him from the far back while drinking beer on a festival and he just had 15 shitty pop songs in a winamp playlist or something, he didn't mix anything, literally anything and everyone was going wild :(

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Nicklord wrote:I just can't figure out how David Guetta and guys like him got that popular. Saw him from the far back while drinking beer on a festival and he just had 15 shitty pop songs in a winamp playlist or something, he didn't mix anything, literally anything and everyone was going wild :(
That seems very depressing and kinda defeats the purpose of live entertainment when all you got to do is play the songs in a playlist and do nothing but get people hyped and not do anything that resembles playing a live instrument that makes music.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

anguyen92 wrote:
Nicklord wrote:I just can't figure out how David Guetta and guys like him got that popular. Saw him from the far back while drinking beer on a festival and he just had 15 shitty pop songs in a winamp playlist or something, he didn't mix anything, literally anything and everyone was going wild :(
That seems very depressing and kinda defeats the purpose of live entertainment when all you got to do is play the songs in a playlist and do nothing but get people hyped and not do anything that resembles playing a live instrument that makes music.
Welcome to the world of laptop "DJ's".

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Timotheus wrote:They're fun and their music is a lot more creative than most metal nowadays.
I disagree with both of these statements. What exactly is creative in Babymetal? The whole act and idea, or do you find the music creative? If first, the idea is ridiculous rather than creative, but that's probably why it works. As for the music I hear absolutely nothing exceptional there, but you might have a better ear being a musician. A lot of metal nowadays is generic crap, but I'd place Babymetal in the same category, or maybe "generic crap with a twist". Which makes it doubly annoying. Musicians are expected to shred and most of them can do it in metal nowadays, you're good if you make a good song, at least in my eyes.
Timotheus wrote:Their live shows are incredible as well.
So I've heard. I'll give you that one.

And no, I don't have an aversion towards J-Pop, nor ladies of any type in metal, nor anything that's normally considered weird or out of place in metal. I just don't think this particular pairing works, but hey, I guess I'm the crazy one since they have millions of views on YT and everyone seems to adore them. :shrug
Timotheus wrote:I can tolerate almost everything.
Bet you couldn't tolerate turbo-folk :P Shining examples of lyrics especially. "You're like a coma after a nervous breakdown", whatever that may mean. Another type of music that drives me nuts which is indigenous to Balkans, though they steal tunes from Turkey and such. (It's why a lot of people like Myrath here, they have that vibe we're so used to.)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's just a very bizar sound. I get why people don't like it, but I personally think it's extremely entertaining. Give Awadama Fever, Yava! and Roads of Resistance from their latest album a listen if you've only heard snippets of their bigger hits. Though, considering your hate for the band, maybe don't :P

I can't say I've ever heard of turbo-folk, but I'm open to everything :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nicklord
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Nicklord »

You are all lucky you don't have turbo folk shit also known as bad attempt at already bad Turkish music :lol These 2 songs are among better ones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17LhH2IkZns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8t5zxVhE18

I won't even go deep into this category and no, this is not a joke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x44zzpBL9dU

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

If I were drunk, surrounded by a bunch of drunk Serbians, I think I'd be highly entertained with music like that :D

That last one though.. At least his hair is fabulous.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.