Tattoo Idea - HELP

Talk about anything and everything here.
AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Tattoo Idea - HELP

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Alright y’all, I need some help.

You ever have an idea for a tattoo, a concept, but you can’t think of the imagery that would go along best with it? Here’s my concept:

I want to do something with the quote “You can rise, or run...” from Words Darker Than Their Wings. A graphic above rising up, overcoming (insert obstacle here). However, and this is the key, I DON’T want to do that in the form of a PHOENIX. It’s been overdone, and I already have the Blackbird on my arm, I don’t want a second bird.

So, any ideas? I need help with the imagery here because it’s escaping me. And yes, I will also be getting that lyric from WDTTW :) appreciate you!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Tattoo Idea - HELP

Post by MaraCarr »

After reading your post I had a mental image that came to me of a skull and a lotus flower. So I did some searching... :)

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Have you considered a phoenix?!

Post by Inconquerable »

That first skull is really cool! The last one might work better for your tattoo idea though, Duane, with the lyrics right in the middle underneath the lotus?
Last edited by Inconquerable on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Yes I like the last one because you are inspired by “Words Darker Than Their Wings”. The Lotus is in the mouth of the skull. The first one actually incorporates what looks like moth wings. I like it too very much. Lots of meaning...

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

MaraCarr wrote:Yes I like the last one because you are inspired by “Words Darker Than Their Wings”. The Lotus is in the mouth of the skull. The first one actually incorporates what looks like moth wings. I like it too very much. Lots of meaning...
Help me out here: what is the skull and the lotus flower supposed to symbolize?

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Unless your artist sucks, then they might look like turds.

Post by zazthespaz »

I would think life and death which fits in to the WDTTW theme, but if you can't make that connection then maybe it's not a good fit for you.

(Not that I'm saying it's a bad design, I think that first one is one of the cooler things I've seen)

Could you incorporate the words into the Blackbird? Did you get a full tail on it or cut off like the original logo? (I've seen where some people get extended tails on it) Might be able to make the words look like additional feathers coming out of it.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Re: Unless your artist sucks, then they might look like turds.

Post by AB4Lyfe »

zazthespaz wrote:I would think life and death which fits in to the WDTTW theme, but if you can't make that connection then maybe it's not a good fit for you.

(Not that I'm saying it's a bad design, I think that first one is one of the cooler things I've seen)

Could you incorporate the words into the Blackbird? Did you get a full tail on it or cut off like the original logo? (I've seen where some people get extended tails on it) Might be able to make the words look like additional feathers coming out of it.
I got it done the way the album cover depicts it - no extended tail. I like your idea of incorporating it into the wings, however I’m looking for this tattoo to be its own entity.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Am I the only one that did a double take at the lyrics? I've been wondering what that lyric is in the song for actual years, and since they're not in the book and Myles forgot them for the Albert Hall, I thought they'd remain a mystery forever. Was this common knowledge and I've been sitting here like a particularly deaf lemon for most of a decade?
For all of the hope that it brings...

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Like how the moon landing is fake and earth is flat.

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote:Am I the only one that did a double take at the lyrics? I've been wondering what that lyric is in the song for actual years, and since they're not in the book and Myles forgot them for the Albert Hall, I thought they'd remain a mystery forever. Was this common knowledge and I've been sitting here like a particularly deaf lemon for most of a decade?
I kind of thought they were the generally accepted lyrics even though there's no hard proof.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Feels like I just got a punch in the face from Kev. World is slightly different in the subtlest of ways.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: And then finding out he can talk!

Post by zazthespaz »

Ubik wrote:Feels like I just got a punch in the face from Kev. World is slightly different in the subtlest of ways.
Imagine finding out "Timo" is pronounced "Tee-moo" after 10 years of thinking it was "Tim-o."
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: And then finding out he can talk!

Post by Ubik »

zazthespaz wrote:
Ubik wrote:Feels like I just got a punch in the face from Kev. World is slightly different in the subtlest of ways.
Imagine finding out "Timo" is pronounced "Tee-moo" after 10 years of thinking it was "Tim-o."
Wait WHAT

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: I always thought it was Tee-mo.

Post by Andy92 »

It’s Timoó.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

#teemoo

zazisaspaz
On The Rail

Post by zazisaspaz »

This thread has taken a critical turn and I feel like we all need to go back to calling TimTam the Little Belgian Waffle or LBDubs. Or have him make a video of how to properly pronounce his name.

Also, when I read those lyrics, I immediately pictured a small outline of a person facing a large shadowy figure. Kinda like David and Goliath. The outlined person can either run, or rise to defeat this enemy. “You can rise or run” could either be a part of the shadow, or separate text. That‘s just what popped into my mind :)

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
MaraCarr wrote:Yes I like the last one because you are inspired by “Words Darker Than Their Wings”. The Lotus is in the mouth of the skull. The first one actually incorporates what looks like moth wings. I like it too very much. Lots of meaning...
Help me out here: what is the skull and the lotus flower supposed to symbolize?
The Skull in most societies symbolizes death or evil.

The Lotus flower is regarded in many different cultures, especially in eastern religions, as a symbol of purity, enlightenment, self-regeneration and rebirth. Its characteristics are a perfect analogy for the human condition: even when its roots are in the dirtiest waters, the Lotus produces the most beautiful flower.

I think the combination is beautiful.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

So for me the connection between the image and the lyrics is about overcoming fear and staying strong no matter how DARK the circumstances my be. There is a quote that says "A coward dies a thousand times, a hero dies but once" The coward dies because he fears death over and over again... so he runs, a hero doesn't think about death until it comes. Its rebirth, regeneration...deaths end.

"You can rise or run

Go never to ask why or to fear again
Go find your peace tonight
Go set out towards the sun
Let the new begin
Go soon your day will come

Your day will come"

Anyway...that was fun thanks for asking for help I enjoyed what that brought me. I hope you find an incredible design that makes you happy. ;)