The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Happy New Year, TABN! :beer :cheers :dance :peace

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Tipsy Timo's was amused

Post by Timotheus »

cheesedip1 wrote:I know I bashed on Three Days Grace and said they weren't too great, but at the same time, I feel that their top best songs (Just Like You, for example) are better than AB or Breaking Benjamin's worst (for example).
NYE post of the evening.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Sigh...., I'm still feeling tense over that job interview. I know I did "all right." I know what reports assets/liabilities and revenue/expenses belongs under. I know what to credit/debit when it comes to journal entries. It's just the questions where I drew a blank or I knew I stated a wrong answer (like what is a statement of cash flow or what types of depreciation can be recorded under) is what's making me tense.

It's definitively one of those scenarios where if I had to do it again, I would state certain things differently. I could have done more to show how my personality/work ethic can fit and contribute to the company, but me being nervous got me frozen at certain parts for sure. The waiting for the decision is also tense as well.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Try not to dwell on what you could have done, Duder. That stuff will eat you alive. Just take solace in knowing that you did the best you could at the time.

Good things come to good people.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It just the worst feeling knowing that I'm not going to get the position. Got the response email. Just crushing to me.

"We have reviewed the qualifications of each candidate and after careful consideration, we have determined that the credentials of other candidates may better fit our needs at this time"

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Sorry to hear that and I understand the feeling bud, but rest assured you join almost everyone else around in not having got the job they had their first interview for. I can't even remember how my first one went or what it was for, just that it was horrible and I most certainly didn't get the job. But it informed how I went in to the next one, I was more prepared for what it would be like and how to respond. It's all good experience! Just gotta keep putting yourself in for them.
For all of the hope that it brings...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Yeah. It just seems like such a bummer that this particular position would have been a natural advancement with regards to my degree in Accounting and I didn't do well enough in the interview.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Lots of people don't do well on interviews, don't feel bad. Just keep applying.
Photobucket cash grab.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: This counts as 2 posts on my count.

Post by zazthespaz »

anguyen92 wrote:It just the worst feeling knowing that I'm not going to get the position. Got the response email. Just crushing to me.

"We have reviewed the qualifications of each candidate and after careful consideration, we have determined that the credentials of other candidates may better fit our needs at this time"
I just got one of those today for a job I forgot I applied for 3 months ago - don't sweat em dude. The hiring pool is huge right now and the positions aren't as numerous. The fact that you're at least getting responses is a good sign as it means they're looking at your application. Sometimes a computer will read over the application/resume/cover letter to look for keywords; if you don't have them, they don't make it to HR and you probably won't get a response. I'd say you getting the letter is a good thing as it means you're on the right track.
anguyen92 wrote:^^ Yeah. It just seems like such a bummer that this particular position would have been a natural advancement with regards to my degree in Accounting and I didn't do well enough in the interview.
Don't think of it as a failure in the interview, just a lesson learned on what to improve upon next time. Make sure you've got the core interview questions prepared:

- why do you want the job?
- what can you provide to the company?
- what salary are you interested in?
- where do you see yourself in 5-10 years? (professionally)
- what do you do in your free time?
- what kind of animal would you be if you could be one and why? (not a typical question, but I've seen it listed before - shows creativity and quick thinking)

Make sure to ask questions too that show your investment in the company:

- where do you (the interviewer) see the company going/where will it be in 5 years? (shows you're looking at the long term and not just a stepping stone job)
- why do you enjoy working here? (if they don't have an answer, you don't want to work there)
- what stood out on my application that made you think I'm a good candidate? (gives you a chance to brag about yourself - which you should be doing already, interviews aren't the time to be modest - tell the interviewer everything you're bringing to the table to show just how qualified you are)
- is there anything on my resume that concerns you or raises red flags? (gives you a chance to minimize any weaknesses you may have - "I may not have experience with 'X' but I can make up for it by...'Y' " - review your resume against their requirements to look for these red flags ahead of time)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

So I watched New Japan Pro Wrestling's biggest show of the year, Wrestle Kingdom in the Tokyo Dome. It was over five hours long, but I say I had a fun time watching it.

The last four matches were must see to any wrestling fans and are very different from each other (ranging from lucha libre stuff, to beating the crap out of each other, to working on each other's limbs, and to going all out in epic fashion with crazy bumps and moves no one ever would imagine seeing). Plus, 26,000+ people showed up. That's pretty great for a wrestling show. No other wrestling show other than Wrestlemania is going to have an attendance more than that size this year, I'm certain.

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot the Royal Rumble is going to be held in the Alamodome in San Antonio. Ok, no other promotion is going to have a show that's going to have more than 25,000 people.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Wow Cam, that was quite a lengthy post with a bunch of great advice. That must've taken you some time. Thanks!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Timotheus wrote:Wow Cam, that was quite a lengthy post with a bunch of great advice. That must've taken you some time. Thanks!
Seconded.

Also, it can be really hard to judge how you did right after an interview. I had two interviews in a week several years ago. One I really thought I bombed, I was late due to an accident backing up traffic, I thought half the search committee really didn't like me, I drove home thinking, oh well. The other I thought I nailed, I actually ENJOYED the interview when I normally hate them and get extremely anxious. I walked out of it thinking, wow, so I'm really relocating to this city. I got an offer for the first one and no response for the second one.
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

Stace
Bought The CDs

Post by Stace »

Hey, what's up :)

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: zaz no longer has to agree with my posts!!

Post by gbruin »

Timotheus wrote:Wow Cam, that was quite a lengthy post with a bunch of great advice. That must've taken you some time. Thanks!
If he'd gotten that recent job, he wouldn't have had time to write all that out. Thanks goodness for us!

Angy, when I was applying for medical schools last century, I started taping my rejection letters on my bedroom door. By the time it was all done, the entire door was covered. But along the way, a couple places said yes and that's all it took (and now I get to work overnight this Fri, Sat, & Sun :( ). Learn from each interview and keep banging away. The guy or girl who got that job probably has a bunch of letters like you got already.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: I peaked in 1993!

Post by Timotheus »

I loved the casual 'last century' in there. My biggest achievement of last century was learning to stop shitting my own pants.

A lot of progress was made in 1993. I also learned to speak and walk that year.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

Lol Timo :D
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

anguyen92 wrote:So I watched New Japan Pro Wrestling's biggest show of the year, Wrestle Kingdom in the Tokyo Dome. It was over five hours long, but I say I had a fun time watching it.

The last four matches were must see to any wrestling fans and are very different from each other (ranging from lucha libre stuff, to beating the crap out of each other, to working on each other's limbs, and to going all out in epic fashion with crazy bumps and moves no one ever would imagine seeing). Plus, 26,000+ people showed up. That's pretty great for a wrestling show. No other wrestling show other than Wrestlemania is going to have an attendance more than that size this year, I'm certain.
Omega/Okada was absolutely unbelievable. Had only seen a few NJPW matches before, first time watching either guy, and Omega is already towards the top of my favorite wrestlers list. He's "stepping away from Japan", really hoping he makes the jump to WWE
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AHart96 wrote:Omega/Okada was absolutely unbelievable. Had only seen a few NJPW matches before, first time watching either guy, and Omega is already towards the top of my favorite wrestlers list. He's "stepping away from Japan", really hoping he makes the jump to WWE
I actually don't want Kenny Omega to move to WWE just yet. I have no interest watching WWE in the near future and I don't want him to get lost in the fold of their big roster and do nothing because creative/booking doesn't know what to do anymore in terms of stories.

Personally, I think he can still do more in NJPW and he just really loves the Japanese culture and actually is fluent in Japanese. I don't think NJPW is really going to give him the main event of their big show, 46 minutes against their top guy, and have their top guy's finisher get kicked out (only two other people had kicked out of Okada's Rainmaker finisher and finishers are a bit more protected in NJPW) if Omega isn't staying with NJPW for a little longer.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Dude, watch Smackdown...