The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: zaz and my dad are not two musical peas in a pod, sorry.

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

zazthespaz wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:53 pm
Timotheus wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:21 am Whiskey in the Jar is such a typical dad-favorite, lol.
Shea, is this true?
His favourite is probably Enter Sandman.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: although the Biffy Clyro cover is pretty bangin

Post by zazthespaz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:18 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:53 pm
Timotheus wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:21 am Whiskey in the Jar is such a typical dad-favorite, lol.
Shea, is this true?
His favourite is probably Enter Sandman.
It's like, one of two Metallica songs I know, so holds up.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

maximzub
On The Rail

I wonder if Zaz sinks the cue ball every shot.

Post by maximzub »

anguyen92 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:49 pm ^^ It looks like they played those songs on the Friday of the festival while they spent the Sunday celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Black album by playing it in full.
I know. I wish I was there. So many better songs than on the second night. Well, at least we got my mom's favorite Metallica song.

Speaking of that...
Maybe. I guess Nothing Else Matters is a typical mom-favorite.

On a second note, anyone here play 8 Ball Pool? I started playing it and now I play it every lunch hour (12:35 to 1:25) if you wanna add me as a friend and challenge me. My unique ID is 273-379-817-2.

On a third note...I read through some of the old forums such as the Fortress tour concert reviews and the annual awards, and after all that, I have one question only.

WHAT HAPPENED TO DECAY?
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, I'm back to having this dilemma. Should I wait until Black Friday to see if there are any deals on flight/hotels or just go ahead and book the hotel/flight now to San Francisco in December?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: I wonder if Zaz sinks the cue ball every shot.

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:00 pm WHAT HAPPENED TO DECAY?
Got banned back in 2014 as far as I remember.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Altur Brije.

Post by maximzub »

So this is the Total Randomness Thread. Here's a totally random post.

Addison says she once misspelled "bridge" in a spelling bee. She spelled it with a j instead of dg. And she cried afterwards.
Dolo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:08 am
Why?
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Or at least, no one worse than Micky.

Post by zazthespaz »

Just an FYI, we’ve unofficially turned the TABN discord into a video game voice channel. All are welcome to join and listen to us play Splitgate. No newbs.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

TheLastHero
Bought The CDs

Post by TheLastHero »

Suffering from crippling boredness.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: Altur Brije.

Post by Dolo »

Dolo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:08 am
Why?
For creating pointless threads and spamming.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: he even quoted Breathe Again in his farewell post

Post by Timotheus »

Well, technically he left on his own, and then Jim banned him out of spite :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

maximzub
On The Rail

Run-on sentences = examples of low-level writing.

Post by maximzub »

Random question incoming...It's actually quite serious, though.

I'm having writer's block.

I'm trying to write a story about how I wanted to enter into Volbeat's STL Tones contest, but that I missed the deadline, so I didn't win the prize of guitar equipment, but how that inspired me to research guitar equipment and what exactly are the inner workings, which inspired me to want to major in electrical engineering.

I have most of the ideas down, but I feel like it's too short. Something twice as long would be a lot better. I also think that my word choice is pretty low-level. Does anybody want to help me improve this? Thank you!
I have always had a passion for music. Ever since my favorite toy was a drum that would display numbers or the letters of the alphabet every time I hit it, my parents could tell that I was a future musician. Since I started playing real instruments in 2012, I have learned several instruments including guitar, drums, and piano. My multi-instrumentalism has allowed me to record full songs all by myself, and I did a lot of this “one-man band” style recording during the shutdown last year. I would record audio and video of me playing each instrument, mix them all together, and edit the videos into a split-screen format that would show me playing different instruments at once. Earlier this year, I wanted to participate in a challenge to record a cover of a song by my favorite band, Volbeat. The winner would get some guitar equipment from the band’s lead guitarist, Rob Caggiano. I recorded the covers, made split-screen videos, and I was very excited to enter in the contest. Unfortunately, I missed the deadline, and I didn’t win the prize. Through this disappointment, I learned that no matter how much hard work I put into something, a simple mistake could be the difference between success and failure.
Even though I didn’t get the equipment from Rob, I suddenly became interested in sound engineering. What was in the boxes, called amplifiers and pedals, that produced guitar effects that I used so commonly? This summer, I decided to find out. I took an online course called Fundamentals Of Audio Design And Music Engineering from the University of Rochester. All of a sudden I could understand that the effects weren’t produced by some magic, but rather by circuits that were quite simple to understand. Some of the concepts I saw in the course were a refresher of what I had learned back in freshman year in a course called Introduction To Electricity & Electronics.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: Run-on sentences = examples of low-level writing.

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:24 am Random question incoming...It's actually quite serious, though.

I'm having writer's block.

I'm trying to write a story about how I wanted to enter into Volbeat's STL Tones contest, but that I missed the deadline, so I didn't win the prize of guitar equipment, but how that inspired me to research guitar equipment and what exactly are the inner workings, which inspired me to want to major in electrical engineering.

I have most of the ideas down, but I feel like it's too short. Something twice as long would be a lot better. I also think that my word choice is pretty low-level. Does anybody want to help me improve this? Thank you!
I have always had a passion for music. Ever since my favorite toy was a drum that would display numbers or the letters of the alphabet every time I hit it, my parents could tell that I was a future musician. Since I started playing real instruments in 2012, I have learned several instruments including guitar, drums, and piano. My multi-instrumentalism has allowed me to record full songs all by myself, and I did a lot of this “one-man band” style recording during the shutdown last year. I would record audio and video of me playing each instrument, mix them all together, and edit the videos into a split-screen format that would show me playing different instruments at once. Earlier this year, I wanted to participate in a challenge to record a cover of a song by my favorite band, Volbeat. The winner would get some guitar equipment from the band’s lead guitarist, Rob Caggiano. I recorded the covers, made split-screen videos, and I was very excited to enter in the contest. Unfortunately, I missed the deadline, and I didn’t win the prize. Through this disappointment, I learned that no matter how much hard work I put into something, a simple mistake could be the difference between success and failure.
Even though I didn’t get the equipment from Rob, I suddenly became interested in sound engineering. What was in the boxes, called amplifiers and pedals, that produced guitar effects that I used so commonly? This summer, I decided to find out. I took an online course called Fundamentals Of Audio Design And Music Engineering from the University of Rochester. All of a sudden I could understand that the effects weren’t produced by some magic, but rather by circuits that were quite simple to understand. Some of the concepts I saw in the course were a refresher of what I had learned back in freshman year in a course called Introduction To Electricity & Electronics.
I do a lot of copywriting for work and I can have a look later tonight but immediately I can see that you need to break up this piece into quite a few more paragraphs. Text blocks are not reader-friendly and 3-4 lines is the maximum they should be.

Micky
On The Rail

AGDFH:SLFJKSALFJD

Post by Micky »

Trying to find a job that can pay me a living wage and will be flexible with my school schedule. I student teach 3 days a week and have classes two nights a week so my availability is kind of difficult but I'm really struggling. Who knew that a Bachelor's in English Literature wouldn't help you get a job?!
Thanks Andy!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: AGDFH:SLFJKSALFJD

Post by Dolo »

Micky wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:09 am Who knew that a Bachelor's in English Literature wouldn't help you get a job?!
Well, you should have known this from the very beginning :/
Do you live in a major metropolitan area though?

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Micky wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:09 am Trying to find a job that can pay me a living wage and will be flexible with my school schedule. I student teach 3 days a week and have classes two nights a week so my availability is kind of difficult but I'm really struggling. Who knew that a Bachelor's in English Literature wouldn't help you get a job?!
Not to bang a monotonous drum but have you thought about freelance copywriting? You can start with stuff on Fiverr and build up to more once you have a bit of a portfolio.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Crumbso wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:06 am Not to bang a monotonous drum but have you thought about freelance copywriting? You can start with stuff on Fiverr and build up to more once you have a bit of a portfolio.
I have never tried copywriting before. I have absolutely no experience in it!
Dolo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:00 am Well, you should have known this from the very beginning :/
Colleges typically don't tell you the truth in the states about the job market and there isn't enough reputable information to go off of.

I live near New York but it's about a two hour commute to the city for me and about a $50-$60 trip when you factor in the cost of parking, which I don't have at the moment
Thanks Andy!

TheLastHero
Bought The CDs

Post by TheLastHero »

Kudos to you for majoring in English Literature, though!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Micky wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:41 am
Crumbso wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:06 am Not to bang a monotonous drum but have you thought about freelance copywriting? You can start with stuff on Fiverr and build up to more once you have a bit of a portfolio.
I have never tried copywriting before. I have absolutely no experience in it!
I only mention this because, if you can write then you can do copywriting. I'm assuming an English Lit degree involved persuasive writing via essay.

So if a person and/or company has a need for some content (local business needs webpage copy, a product description is needed for amazon, a local event needs to make their event sound exciting) then you'd be surprised how just being able to write with decent grammar and coherency is a marketable skill.

EDIT: In fact, I have no qualifications in but I ended doing it for several companies just because I'm not a bad writer and have skills of persuasion.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Micky wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:41 am
Dolo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:00 am Well, you should have known this from the very beginning :/
Colleges typically don't tell you the truth in the states about the job market and there isn't enough reputable information to go off of.

I live near New York but it's about a two hour commute to the city for me and about a $50-$60 trip when you factor in the cost of parking, which I don't have at the moment
It's a bit different in my case. because I live in a country where English is far from being an official language and aside from a common consensus that 'nowadays everybody speaks English blablablabla' not a lot of people can REALLY speak well and that's why it's pretty easy to get a job in a private language school (however you're on a mandate contract) or sometimes in foreign customer service (which is what I currently do for a living). I knew that the life can take unexpected turns so I picked up another foreign language and that increases your chances in the job market, especially with remote work now if you can work for a company from a city 300 miles away.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

TheLastHero
Bought The CDs

Post by TheLastHero »

My skills have failed me. I had to print out the guitar tab.