The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: Given the traffic in Houston, kind of glad that didn't work out...

Post by Dolo »

I think that the majority of the European market is still manual although it's been changing now with the rise of popularity of hybrids and EVs in the last couple of years. The older cars (2000-2010) are definitely manual in Europe. I find it quite crazy that you need to have a special order to get a manual gearbox in North America.

There has been a saying going around in Europe - an American citizen would never steal a European car because of the manual gearbox.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Luxury cars like BMWs, Volvos and Audis, or hybrids etc, are more likely to be auto these days but smaller city cars and cheaper options are still manual by default. It's usually a couple of grand or more to opt for the auto box. I've got a big honking Volvo Estate and that's manual.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Dolo wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:14 pm There has been a saying going around in Europe - an American citizen COULD never steal a European car because of the manual gearbox.
FTFY :lol

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Crumbso wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:12 am Luxury cars like BMWs, Volvos and Audis, or hybrids etc, are more likely to be auto these days but smaller city cars and cheaper options are still manual by default. It's usually a couple of grand or more to opt for the auto box. I've got a big honking Volvo Estate and that's manual.
My dad's got a 1999 Volvo V70 wagon in automatic and he bought it as used for absolute peanuts.
You can get a smaller city compact in automatic but the gearbox doesn't last very long especially in used ones.

Crumbso wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:07 am
Dolo wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:14 pm There has been a saying going around in Europe - an American citizen COULD never steal a European car because of the manual gearbox.
FTFY :lol
Oh, yeah, those goddamn modal verbs.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by Timotheus »

Do Americans learn to drive in manual or an automatic cars? Just wondering, because an automatic exam seems so easy to me :D

The first few cars I've driven were all manuals, but my last two cars (company leases) were automatics and I honestly have no desire to ever drive manual again. Looks like I don't have to worry about that though, because my next one is going to be an electric.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Who needs a transmission anyway?!

Post by zazthespaz »

Timotheus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:50 pm Do Americans learn to drive in manual or an automatic cars? Just wondering, because an automatic exam seems so easy to me :D

The first few cars I've driven were all manuals, but my last two cars (company leases) were automatics and I honestly have no desire to ever drive manual again. Looks like I don't have to worry about that though, because my next one is going to be an electric.
Automatic, and it is easier, and we still struggle with basic road rules :lol

My mom had a manual Saturn when I got my license so I drove that every now and then for a few years. I always enjoyed it except when stopped on a hill, but I was in the small minority of my friends whose family owned a manual, let alone knew how to drive one. It's been years since I've had to drive stick, might grind a few gears next time I get the opportunity to.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Timotheus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:50 pm Do Americans learn to drive in manual or an automatic cars? Just wondering, because an automatic exam seems so easy to me :D
American stickshift driver here! The first car I moved while in the driver's seat was a Yugo, believe it or not. For a couple years after that, I would practice with my dad in the parking lot of his work on our Volkswagen Jetta. This was before I got my permit.

Through school, I did learn on an automatic. This was in late 2019. After that, I practiced only on a stickshift (the aforementioned Jetta). Since it was covid year, I took an unusually long time between completing Driver's Ed and getting my license. I eventually got it in April 2021, taking the test in the car I currently have: a Volkswagen CC. Stickshift, of course. Obviously, the exam didn't contain anything that required special use of the shifter.

In fact, we didn't even own an automatic car between 2006 and 2023. The last automatic we had was an old Ford Explorer that I barely remember. Since then, we've had 10 cars that were all stickshifts (we still have 5 of them, but are selling 2). When we got our new Ford Explorer a couple weeks ago, my mom posted about it on Facebook with the caption "The dreaded day has come", referring of course to the fact that it's automatic. I drove it for the first time on Sunday, and my dad and I were having a field day laughing about how I always wanted to reach for the shifter, only to realize it's not there.

I'm gonna try to find stickshift cars as long as they have them over here in the US. Automatic just feels too easy.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Im finally on my first vacation since I started my job. 2 weeks. And I took the first week to travel back to my hometown to visit friends and family I havent seen since 2020. Its been fun! Besides sleeping on an uncomfortable couch :/ :lol

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

anguyen92 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:40 pm I also got an email from Puck Hcky saying that they now have something for Halestorm as well. I mean if you want a jersey of Lzzy Hale's screaming face on the front of the crest, this is for you.

https://puckhcky.com/collections/halestorm
Somehow, I missed this. Well, you guys all know me. I'm down with anything with Lzzy's face on it. 😍😍

EDIT: After checking what it is...Well, the fact that it's the album cover of my favorite Halestorm album means that I want it even more. To be honest, though, I would probably just get a regular shirt rather than a hockey jersey.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Ecstasy of Gold ...

Post by MaraCarr »

This weekend, I decided not to go on any adventures and stay in my hotel. I have a lot of college assignments and had a difficult and dramatic week. I need rest and to get all my assignments turned in on time. I happened to run into the new Metallica video for one of my favorite song tracks from the new album and then by some miracle this morning saw an entire concert live in Amsterdam someone recorded.

I have to say the stage is absolutely the most amazing one I have ever seen. It is a complete circle with a group of audience members in the center and the rest on the outside. If I could be in the center like that listening to all of their songs it would be heaven to me. That is so amazing...I would be crying the entire time. (LOL) The stage will make history, BEST stage EVER!

It brought back memories of my first Metallica concert. I loved them my entire life but until Kentucky had never been able to see them in concert. I met a very nice guy in the lobby of my hotel wearing a Metallica t-shirt. He looked like he could bench press a truck. His name was Ivan from Houston, worked in IT and he took care of me the entire weekend. We boarded the Black bus together not knowing what we were in for on that bus. Coolest bus ever....the exterior looked like pure hell but the inside was jawdropping beautiful... The owner put $20,000 into fixing the inside, seating, lighting that was in perfect sync with the music, limo seating...etc. It was Incredible!

I had VIP and Ivan had GA. I can remember texting back and forth when Metallica opened their first concert of two that weekend. I didn't know they play the same opening song every concert. He texted me and said ..."This is the opening tune they play at every concert." Clint Eastwood movie clip.. Anyway...I cried, it was an experience I will never forget. When the concert was over he said..."I will meet you at the VIP gate and help you get back to the hotel safely." We of course were all on the Blackened Bus of Gothic-ness. (LOL)...but it was a good group of people. Awesome people and all Metallica Family.

For the rest of the weekend I ditched my VIP pass and joined the group in GA I had become fast friends with and we had the most amazing experience. I've never seen Ivan again or talked to him after that weekend. He is my Metallica Angel Bodyguard (M.A.B) and was a complete gentleman and the best party buddy ever.

Anyway watching this concert brought back a flood of memories, I want to find out how to be in the center of that circle stage! I will fly anywhere. I have done lots of circle ceremonies but this one...is "THE ONE."...and I want to experience it! NEW BUCKET LIST ITEM! I have to...It's my Destiny! :hug
At 47:01 the color changes and Sanitarium is played...It is pretty sweet! Beautiful Gift! :)

Then immediatley after at...54:57...they play mine! It is Perfection.

maximzub
On The Rail

Re: Ecstasy of Gold ...

Post by maximzub »

MaraCarr wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:57 am This weekend, I decided not to go on any adventures and stay in my hotel. I have a lot of college assignments and had a difficult and dramatic week. I need rest and to get all my assignments turned in on time.
Same here. I'm taking an off-weekend to catch up on some stuff. I have only three weeks left of this semester!
MaraCarr wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:57 am Anyway watching this concert brought back a flood of memories, I want to find out how to be in the center of that circle stage! I will fly anywhere. I have done lots of circle ceremonies but this one...is "THE ONE."...and I want to experience it! NEW BUCKET LIST ITEM! I have to...It's my Destiny! :hug
After watching half of the first Amsterdam show being livestreamed plus some clips from both shows, and after seeing the setlists, I want to go see them in Chicago. Problem is, tickets might be really expensive. But I want to see them play some of their classic songs that they didn't play when I saw them last time.

When we're on the topic of concerts...guess who just bought tickets for Volbeat and Halestorm. I'm a happy guy now. I'm gonna get to see my favorite band and my favorite chick on the same night.

And on a third topic...
maximzub wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:15 pm Also of course, going to prom doesn't mean they're a couple, EXCEPT that they didn't really seem to be friends before that. I don't think I've ever seen them interacting until a couple weeks ago. (Prom was last weekend.)

The girl in question hasn't wanted to talk to me in almost a year. And I never really talked to the guy much either. Even though we're in Jazz Band together, I usually hung around other members rather than him.
I just found out that they were indeed dating. That derailed my life for a good week. I still love the girl with all my heart, and I didn't want to know about her dating life. Now I do, and it crushes my heart.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Moral of the story: Always wear Alter Bridge shirts

Post by gbruin »

Cool moment...

I went to see Nothing More last week. It was my third time seeing them, and they put on a fantastically fun show. Spent the show in the pit and got bruised to pieces. Loved it. Anyway, I was wearing my AB Fortress tour shirt, and as the last song ended, I got spit out of the mosh near the front of the pit and we all cheered the band as they finished and took their bows. As the lights came up, I noticed that the person in front of me was wear a Pawns & Kings tour shirt. I tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Hey, I like your shirt". She looked at me a bit puzzled, then looked at my shirt, and she just leapt forward and hugged me and said "Ohh, yes!! I love Alter Bridge so much!! They're are the best!!" Total stranger, but we exchanged a few nice words about AB and the NoMo concert, and it was a very randomly cool end to a great night. Music rules. :rockon
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Moral of the story: Always wear Alter Bridge shirts

Post by MaraCarr »

gbruin wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:01 pm Cool moment...

I went to see Nothing More last week. It was my third time seeing them, and they put on a fantastically fun show. Spent the show in the pit and got bruised to pieces. Loved it. Anyway, I was wearing my AB Fortress tour shirt, and as the last song ended, I got spit out of the mosh near the front of the pit and we all cheered the band as they finished and took their bows. As the lights came up, I noticed that the person in front of me was wear a Pawns & Kings tour shirt. I tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Hey, I like your shirt". She looked at me a bit puzzled, then looked at my shirt, and she just leapt forward and hugged me and said "Ohh, yes!! I love Alter Bridge so much!! They're are the best!!" Total stranger, but we exchanged a few nice words about AB and the NoMo concert, and it was a very randomly cool end to a great night. Music rules. :rockon
Absolutely. AB shirts. :) = AB family

That sounds like so much fun. I love the energy of Nothing More and the music. Jonny is so special and has a beautiful GF. She is always scaring the hell out of him on purpose and its hilarious. She absolutely tortures him in the most loving ways. It is always hilarious and very creative I love those two together.... complete soul mates.

It is so fun getting bruised in the pit that is the only time I can say I truly don't mind the injuries. :D
I think that meeting strangers like that is so much fun. You have a wonderful time sharing the same love of music, then you go your separate ways back to reality. Happy you had fun! You deserve it!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

maximzub wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:24 pm
MaraCarr wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:57 am This weekend, I decided not to go on any adventures and stay in my hotel. I have a lot of college assignments and had a difficult and dramatic week. I need rest and to get all my assignments turned in on time.
Same here. I'm taking an off-weekend to catch up on some stuff. I have only three weeks left of this semester!
MaraCarr wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:57 am Anyway watching this concert brought back a flood of memories, I want to find out how to be in the center of that circle stage! I will fly anywhere. I have done lots of circle ceremonies but this one...is "THE ONE."...and I want to experience it! NEW BUCKET LIST ITEM! I have to...It's my Destiny! :hug
After watching half of the first Amsterdam show being livestreamed plus some clips from both shows, and after seeing the setlists, I want to go see them in Chicago. Problem is, tickets might be really expensive. But I want to see them play some of their classic songs that they didn't play when I saw them last time.

When we're on the topic of concerts...guess who just bought tickets for Volbeat and Halestorm. I'm a happy guy now. I'm gonna get to see my favorite band and my favorite chick on the same night.

And on a third topic...
maximzub wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:15 pm Also of course, going to prom doesn't mean they're a couple, EXCEPT that they didn't really seem to be friends before that. I don't think I've ever seen them interacting until a couple weeks ago. (Prom was last weekend.)

The girl in question hasn't wanted to talk to me in almost a year. And I never really talked to the guy much either. Even though we're in Jazz Band together, I usually hung around other members rather than him.
I just found out that they were indeed dating. That derailed my life for a good week. I still love the girl with all my heart, and I didn't want to know about her dating life. Now I do, and it crushes my heart.
I am so sorry that your heart is crushed. Im sure she wasn't trying to hurt you on purpose. Just love her anyway and put all your focus on Miss Hale. Can't go wrong there. :D You might even learn so new riffs.

Volbeat is great I love them too. Now you have me wanting to listen to Volbeat.

I did find out about that round pit, AKA the Snake Pit. I am gonna be one of those snakes. I don't care that it costs $1500.00. I was thinking maybe I can do a go fund me page or maybe a car wash. :D

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

maximzub wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:24 pmAnd on a third topic...

My 34 year old self chuckles at the thought of all the girls I thought I loved when I was 19. At your age, you've gotta try and be less doomy when it comes to the opposite sex, Max :cheers

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

MaraCarr wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:08 pm I am so sorry that your heart is crushed. Im sure she wasn't trying to hurt you on purpose. Just love her anyway and put all your focus on Miss Hale. Can't go wrong there. :D You might even learn so new riffs.
Of course she wasn't trying to hurt me. She was moving on with her life without me. That's what makes me sad. So sad that I was physically sick from the Wednesday before last to the next Wednesday. It's better now, though.

"Put all your focus on Miss Hale"... that quote made my day. :lol :lol

I'm like a sponge when it comes to learning songs, so yeah, I've learned a lot of new riffs already.
MaraCarr wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:08 pm Volbeat is great I love them too. Now you have me wanting to listen to Volbeat.
Do it!
Dan Dando wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:34 pm My 34 year old self chuckles at the thought of all the girls I thought I loved when I was 19. At your age, you've gotta try and be less doomy when it comes to the opposite sex, Max :cheers
Sadly, that's easier said than done. I still love the girl with all my heart and I don't think I ever will stop. She was one of the best friends I've ever had, and she'll always be part of my life story.

Then again, I do have my little (or not so little) celebrity crush to distract me, and I also have been talking to a girl from one of my classes just to see if I might wanna go further. I don't think I will talk about it much on here, though, as I've learned from my mistakes when I did that last time.

I just found out that zaz declined my friend request on Facebook. I'm sad now. :mope

Also, Greg, how did you manage to become Facebook friends with all those celebrities? I sent friend requests to a bunch of my favorite musicians and I'm still waiting for any of them to respond.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

maximzub wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:11 pm Also, Greg, how did you manage to become Facebook friends with all those celebrities? I sent friend requests to a bunch of my favorite musicians and I'm still waiting for any of them to respond.
I'm not sure there are many celebrities in there. Probably just remnants from the early days of their accounts when they requested friends of people liking or commenting on their posts. I follow some but I certainly didn't request to be friends with any celebrity. That would be weird.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

gbruin wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:09 am
maximzub wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:11 pm Also, Greg, how did you manage to become Facebook friends with all those celebrities? I sent friend requests to a bunch of my favorite musicians and I'm still waiting for any of them to respond.
I'm not sure there are many celebrities in there. Probably just remnants from the early days of their accounts when they requested friends of people liking or commenting on their posts. I follow some but I certainly didn't request to be friends with any celebrity. That would be weird.
:shifty

I still envy you for being Facebook friends with Mark Tremonti, Brian Marshall, and everyone in Halestorm. Mark, Brian, and Lzzy (on her account where she goes by Elizabeth) still post on those accounts regularly.

Then again, I am friends with Michael Tremonti and Elvis Baskette, which is not bad.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Probably the latter.

Post by zazthespaz »

gbruin wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:01 pm Cool moment...

Alternate (probably true) spin to this story: Greg dragged his wife along to a metal concert, gave her an AB shirt to wear to blend in, and as soon as the show started, he ditched her for the mosh pit. 90 minutes later, the show wraps up, his wife is lost in a crowd and terrified, and when Greg shows up to take her home, breaking the silence with "Hey, I like your shirt," she's so happy to see him again that she hugs him instead of murdering him for ditching her.

Or the original story is true and one of those cool things that only happens to Greg that we're all jealous of.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

AllC392Was wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:00 pm I sometimes wonder what it would be like if everyone that was active on here met up for a one night party at some Alter Bridge event. hmmm...
Has this idea ever actually been considered by you guys? That would be awesome.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!