The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
gbruin
MEGLADONG

A primer for life

Post by gbruin »

Crumbso wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:24 am
maximzub wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:43 pm Truth be told, I have given up on girls. They're just impossible for me to understand. (Except Noelle. I'm pretty sure that after having known her for all 16 years of her life, I would understand her.)
I think it's summed up best by these Rush lyrics:

We are secrets to each other
Each one's life a novel
No-one else has read
Even joined in bonds of love
We're linked to one another
By such slender threads

We are planets to each other
Drifting in our orbits
To a brief eclipse
Each of us a world apart
Alone and yet together
Like two passing ships

We never know the lived experience of another person. All our disagreements usually come from expectations, assumptions and lack of direct communication. Either we don't understand the other, they don't understand us or we don't even understand ourselves and what we need/want. Learning about yourself and what you actually need to be happy and healthy is an important part of being able to relate to somebody and communicate those needs. Likewise, it helps if the other person knows themselves, which is not always the case.

It's a learned skill, one that is not really taught or readily available to teenagers and young adults. The more that we want from somebody, the harder it can be because we're setting expectations that we're often not equipped to communicate. When you're more independent and happy in yourself, paradoxically, the more you're likely to be able to engage in and maintain a successful and happy relationship. It's all because we can never truly know what somebody outside of ourselves is thinking or feeling.
That's excellent stuff, crumbso. And exactly right.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: A primer for life

Post by Dan Dando »

gbruin wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:46 pm
maximzub wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:43 pm Truth be told, I have given up on girls. They're just impossible for me to understand. (Except Noelle. I'm pretty sure that after having known her for all 16 years of her life, I would understand her.)

Each one's life a novel
No-one else has read
By such slender threads

Drifting in our orbits
To a brief eclipse
Each of us a world apart
Alone and yet together
Like two passing ships

We never know the lived experience of another person. All our disagreements usually come from expectations, assumptions and lack of direct communication. Either we don't understand the other, they don't understand us or we don't even understand ourselves and what we need/want. Learning about yourself and what you actually need to be happy and healthy is an important part of being able to relate to somebody and communicate those needs. Likewise, it helps if the other person knows themselves, which is not always the case.

It's a learned skill, one that is not really taught or readily available to teenagers and young adults. The more that we want from somebody, the harder it can be because we're setting expectations that we're often not equipped to communicate. When you're more independent and happy in yourself, paradoxically, the more you're likely to be able to engage in and maintain a successful and happy relationship. It's all because we can never truly know what somebody outside of ourselves is thinking or feeling.
Agreed. That's a beautiful response, Crumbso. Sadly it'll all go over maximzub's head because he's a teenager, but still :lol

(No offence, maximzub)

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Making (almost) 50 look awesome

Post by MaraCarr »

gbruin wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:21 am
MaraCarr wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:03 am I am having a lot of full circle moments lately. I’m thinking it’s because I turn 50 this year. It’s funny I don’t feel fifty.

I must be stuck in time considering Erikson’s perspective on the stages of life. 😂

I had a 2000 word essay to write yesterday that served as my final for this session worth 500 points….after a 14 hour workday.

Thanks to Starbucks Venti Pike Place Roast… I handled business.
Like a boss :rockon
I just love you! :D I finished the class with a B. :cloud9

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

I Wrecked my Rental!

Post by MaraCarr »

As you all know. I have been assigned to Tallahassee for a while now. There is just no medical staff here. Anyway on Wednesday of this week a travel coworker was leaving. She is such an awesome nurse and loves her patients so much. I bought her flowers and a cake.

At 4:45 am in my little rental SUV. I was attempting to crossover Tennessee street from Magnolia when this Toyota Tacoma doing 60 in a 45 hit me at full speed. He hit me so hard that the airbags deployed. I lost my hearing in my left ear. I thought the car was going to catch on fire because I smelled smoke and chemicals. I dove as fast as I could get my feet loose...to the passenger side and crawled on to the pavement. He ran a red light and hit me at full speed. My friends cake and flowers were all over the car. I have no idea how I had the ability to call 911, but I did it.

I am a travel nurse so I have no friends or family at my job location. I am on my own. At the accident I can remember after calling 911, thinking to myself, I didn't have anyone else to call. I did not want to bother my family in another state so early in the morning, they were all still sleeping I just gathered my stuff and asked one of the officers on the scene if they would take me back to my hotel. It was the first time I have ever rode in the back of a police SUV. There is only hard plastic seats and bars on the windows. LOL... I tried to talk to him as we drove back to my room but he seemed miles away. I was grateful for the ride and how nice they were to me. The guy that hit me wasn't so nice. He was yelling at me like it was my fault. I just stayed away from him after I got myself off the ground. I took a deep breath and called 911.

I had a CT done of my head and a doctor check out my ear. He gave ABX to take for two weeks. There was some inflammation and hopefully temporary hearing loss.

I am so sad that I missed the AB concert in Dothan. I was only 1:30 hours away from a beautiful venue to enjoy the concert. but I am under the weather from the wreck and being understaffed and overworked. Hopefully I will get to see them in August. My 50th birthday is in August. I have a goal to see Metallica and AB. :cloud9

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Dan Dando wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:37 pm
gbruin wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:46 pm

Each one's life a novel
No-one else has read
By such slender threads

Drifting in our orbits
To a brief eclipse
Each of us a world apart
Alone and yet together
Like two passing ships

Agreed. That's a beautiful response, Crumbso. Sadly it'll all go over maximzub's head because he's a teenager, but still :lol

(No offence, maximzub)
What beautiful insight you have! You took me back to a being a teenager. This beautiful song that is timeless came to my mind.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Just getting caught up now, as I played my first show of the summer last night. It was great! Not bad for being the day after my last day of freshman year of college. The best part was when during Running Down A Dream, I started playing the solo, then jumped off stage and walked around the place while continuing to play the solo (I was using a wireless system for my guitar).
Dan Dando wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:37 pm Agreed. That's a beautiful response, Crumbso. Sadly it'll all go over maximzub's head because he's a teenager, but still :lol

(No offence, maximzub)
Nah, I agreed with what Crumbso said.

(Oh. I just realized, I only have 6 months and 15 days of being a teenager. When did I get this old? Then again, I'll probably have more right to ask myself that question when I'm like, 50 or something.)
MaraCarr wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:40 am At 4:45 am in my little rental SUV. I was attempting to crossover Tennessee street from Magnolia when this Toyota Tacoma doing 60 in a 45 hit me at full speed. He hit me so hard that the airbags deployed. I lost my hearing in my left ear. I thought the car was going to catch on fire because I smelled smoke and chemicals. I dove as fast as I could get my feet loose...to the passenger side and crawled on to the pavement. He ran a red light and hit me at full speed. My friends cake and flowers were all over the car. I have no idea how I had the ability to call 911, but I did it.
Noooo...I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope you heal up very quickly.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: I Wrecked my Rental!

Post by Ubik »

MaraCarr wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:40 am As you all know. I have been assigned to Tallahassee for a while now. There is just no medical staff here. Anyway on Wednesday of this week a travel coworker was leaving. She is such an awesome nurse and loves her patients so much. I bought her flowers and a cake.

At 4:45 am in my little rental SUV. I was attempting to crossover Tennessee street from Magnolia when this Toyota Tacoma doing 60 in a 45 hit me at full speed. He hit me so hard that the airbags deployed. I lost my hearing in my left ear. I thought the car was going to catch on fire because I smelled smoke and chemicals. I dove as fast as I could get my feet loose...to the passenger side and crawled on to the pavement. He ran a red light and hit me at full speed. My friends cake and flowers were all over the car. I have no idea how I had the ability to call 911, but I did it.

I am a travel nurse so I have no friends or family at my job location. I am on my own. At the accident I can remember after calling 911, thinking to myself, I didn't have anyone else to call. I did not want to bother my family in another state so early in the morning, they were all still sleeping I just gathered my stuff and asked one of the officers on the scene if they would take me back to my hotel. It was the first time I have ever rode in the back of a police SUV. There is only hard plastic seats and bars on the windows. LOL... I tried to talk to him as we drove back to my room but he seemed miles away. I was grateful for the ride and how nice they were to me. The guy that hit me wasn't so nice. He was yelling at me like it was my fault. I just stayed away from him after I got myself off the ground. I took a deep breath and called 911.

I had a CT done of my head and a doctor check out my ear. He gave ABX to take for two weeks. There was some inflammation and hopefully temporary hearing loss.

I am so sad that I missed the AB concert in Dothan. I was only 1:30 hours away from a beautiful venue to enjoy the concert. but I am under the weather from the wreck and being understaffed and overworked. Hopefully I will get to see them in August. My 50th birthday is in August. I have a goal to see Metallica and AB. :cloud9
Gah Mara that's awful, very glad you're largely okay and hope you get well soon! Meanwhile I hope the guy that hit you steps on lego for the rest of his life.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Sounds like some a-hole wrecked your rental

Post by gbruin »

MaraCarr wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:40 am As you all know. I have been assigned to Tallahassee for a while now. There is just no medical staff here. Anyway on Wednesday of this week a travel coworker was leaving. She is such an awesome nurse and loves her patients so much. I bought her flowers and a cake.

omg I'm so sorry this happened to you. So thankful you walked away. Hoping you are back to healthy asap. :hug
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Like my marketing degree naturally leads me to write PR releases in times of crisis

Post by zazthespaz »

Sorry to hear that Mara! Hope you're doing ok - glad you had the state of mind to handle it calmly. I'm sure all that nursing probably kicked in as a natural response.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: The Official "Total Randomness" Thread

Post by anguyen92 »

Hope you are doing fine, Mara. The fact that you are still posting here is a good sign. Hopefully, you get the insurance part of it taken care of and that the end result leads to the crasher taking the blame and liabilities of it.

On a side note, I'm looking into planning to go to Grand Rapids, MI on 08/25 and seeing that a train from there to Chicago leaves at 6 AM on 08/26 with no other later options to get to Chicago in the early afternoon. I'm thinking whether or not it is actually viable to book a hotel room there. The concert ends at around 11 PM. The train leaves at 6 AM. I can find a way to store my luggage somewhere until 5 AM.

All I need to do is do something to kill time between 11 PM - 5 AM. What could I do in that period that doesn't require buying a hotel room or AirBnB?

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Thanks you guys I needed that. I am on the mend. A little PTSD from the accident especially crossing that intersection every morning but like the energizer bunny, I keep going…and going … and going. 😂

It certainly made me look at my life differently. My patients were awesome when I got back to work. The police, the EMT’s, Nurses and Doctor that cared for me were all Amazing.

I am Grateful. ❤️

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Geez, Mara. That sounds very traumatic indeed. How's your hearing doing at the moment?

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

It's been a while since I recorded new music. Here's the latest song.

Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:48 am It's been a while since I recorded new music. Here's the latest song.

I think you have something there with the verse and the way the song kicks in. That's great. The transition riff/chords leading into the chorus are excellent too. In my opinion, the best you've written that I've heard. If you workshop some variations on the vocal lines and delivery, I could imagine those sections going down awesomely in a live setting. Well done on that, not easy to come by something that good.

Putting my producer hat on here (of course it's all just opinion so feel free to ignore): The chorus needs something more to create a real hook. A short repeated phrase, melody or word maybe? At the moment it's half-time drums, long drawn-out chords, long drawn-out melodies. There's nothing to capitalise on that great punchy energy you built up in the verses.

You could also make a bit more of the stop-start nature of the way the song starts when you get to the middle. Get some rhythmic interest going again. Really change that energy for a bit.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Crumbso wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:57 am
maximzub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:48 am It's been a while since I recorded new music. Here's the latest song.

I think you have something there with the verse and the way the song kicks in. That's great. The transition riff/chords leading into the chorus are excellent too. In my opinion, the best you've written that I've heard. If you workshop some variations on the vocal lines and delivery, I could imagine those sections going down awesomely in a live setting. Well done on that, not easy to come by something that good.

Putting my producer hat on here (of course it's all just opinion so feel free to ignore): The chorus needs something more to create a real hook. A short repeated phrase, melody or word maybe? At the moment it's half-time drums, long drawn-out chords, long drawn-out melodies. There's nothing to capitalise on that great punchy energy you built up in the verses.

You could also make a bit more of the stop-start nature of the way the song starts when you get to the middle. Get some rhythmic interest going again. Really change that energy for a bit.
Thanks for the analysis and advice! I'm surprised this one is your favorite of my songs so far.

Here's one I recorded today. It's the first time I've used the Alter Bridge style Drop Bb tuning on an original song. Well, actually it's a half step lower from that, so Drop A.

Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:09 pm
Crumbso wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:57 am

Thanks for the analysis and advice! I'm surprised this one is your favorite of my songs so far.

Here's one I recorded today. It's the first time I've used the Alter Bridge style Drop Bb tuning on an original song. Well, actually it's a half step lower from that, so Drop A.

You're a very good drummer, man. Are you doing all this stuff in one take per instrument? Sure sounds like it.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Crumbso wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:28 am Geez, Mara. That sounds very traumatic indeed. How's your hearing doing at the moment?
It so funny you ask that!

I just got a call from the front desk at the hotel asking me to turn my music down. They are getting multiple complaints! 😂

It is definitely not what it was before the accident.
I hired an attorney.

To focus more on happy things. I am going to see my South African trainee who is no longer a trainee. He is an amazing nurse who runs a dialysis clinic alone and a health department for people with no insurance. I am so proud of him!

I am going to stay a night with him and his gorgeous wife and two beautiful girls. And probably sing karaoke and watch stand up comedy after the girls go to sleep. Then we are hitting Rainbow River for Kayaking. Then Im meeting my kids at Universal and spending an entire week there. It’s our favorite place on earth! ❤️🌈

Im so happy! 🙃

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Crumbso wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:05 am You're a very good drummer, man. Are you doing all this stuff in one take per instrument? Sure sounds like it.
It depends. All songs I do have one-take drums, but it varies for guitar and vocals. For Grape Overdose, I did the rhythm guitar (which is actually the guitar doing the leads in the verses and choruses) in one take, but the lead guitar in two separate takes around the guitar solo. Then I did the guitar solo separately, and spliced it into the track with the rest of the lead guitar. For Embracing Change, both the guitars were one take. For one I recorded today called The World In Our Hands, I recorded section by section. Even for the guitar solo, which was a section by itself, I had to splice in a part of an alternate take to correct a mistake in the final take I used. I did that for Grape Overdose as well -- the tapping part was overdubbed over the same part in the original one-take solo. As for vocals, lately I usually just record one take at first, then listen through it and rerecord any lines that have bad notes or mistakes as I go.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

May 25

Post by maximzub »

I was quite busy yesterday working on recording new music and building the extension to our deck, as well as going to my first Thursday night open mic since before I left for college. There was something I wanted to post yesterday, but because of all this, I didn't have time.

May 25, 2021 should have been a good day. Instead, it was the most painful day in my life. Maybe for a petty reason, in the opinion of you guys that have more life experience than I do. But a valid reason nonetheless. I didn't talk about it back when it happened because I couldn't believe it was real, but I've talked at length about it since. That was the day that Addison and I had the fight that finally pushed our friendship off the cliff it was already hanging on. It shattered my heart seeing that the girl that had been one of my best friends, had cared about me deeply, and had tried so hard to salvage the friendship after I fell in love with her, walked away from the relationship like it was nothing. I'm still not over it 2 years later, but after that much time searching for the answers to my "why?" questions about this, I have found my answers.

She didn't leave the friendship because she stopped caring about me. She left it precisely because she cared about me. We were young and immature back then, and we both thought that it was a good idea to return back to the friendship we had before I started liking her romantically. It was not. In fact, it would have hurt us more in the long run. So rather than put me through the pain of constantly feeling rejected because the love of my life didn't want to be anything more than just friends with me, she decided to walk away so that I didn't have to suffer through that anymore. Granted, I am still immensely heartbroken that I lost one of my best friends for this reason. But I am at least at peace with the fact that she was sweet enough to do such thing. I'll never forget her and even though the chances that we'll ever talk again are pretty slim, I'm sure I'll continue to love her from a distance.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

MaraCarr wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:22 am
Crumbso wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:28 am Geez, Mara. That sounds very traumatic indeed. How's your hearing doing at the moment?
It so funny you ask that!

I just got a call from the front desk at the hotel asking me to turn my music down. They are getting multiple complaints! 😂

It is definitely not what it was before the accident.
I hired an attorney.

To focus more on happy things. I am going to see my South African trainee who is no longer a trainee. He is an amazing nurse who runs a dialysis clinic alone and a health department for people with no insurance. I am so proud of him!

I am going to stay a night with him and his gorgeous wife and two beautiful girls. And probably sing karaoke and watch stand up comedy after the girls go to sleep. Then we are hitting Rainbow River for Kayaking. Then Im meeting my kids at Universal and spending an entire week there. It’s our favorite place on earth! ❤️🌈

Im so happy! 🙃
Sorry to hear it. There are still opportunities for it to return. Maybe you can get a referral to an audiologist to find out what the damage is? Enjoy your week with the kids and your time with friends.