The Fitness Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
Macca
Greg

Re: The Fitness Thread

Post by Macca »

I really need to start doing weights and getting more muscle/toning up. I'm pitifully scrawny.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

@Zaz

I'm no expert, but I do stay fairly fit (something like 4% body fat) and am close with a lot of people that qualify as "personal trainers." If you want to get rid of belly fat, doing strength training won't be even remotely as effective as endurance training in the long run. You need to be doing cardio workouts.

Lots of resources have different information on the best way to lose belly fat, so I think it's all really subjective. From everything I've seen, it appears as though the best way to burn fat is to do short bursts of high intensity cardio. Things like doing a 2 mile run, rotating between running fast (almost sprinting) and slow jogs. Check out CrossFit if you really want to see some good workouts for this.

If you must do strength workouts, chest workouts won't do as much as abdominal workouts.
:yeahthat

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

So my right arm is a bit more muscular than my left. It's not too noticeable and I know it's because I'm right handed, but is there any way I can even it out? Should I do a few more curls with my left arm than my right?

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Start wankin with your left hand instead?

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

or do the reverse monkey grip with the left hand. works out more muscles. just a thought eh?

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I hate air robics

Post by zazthespaz »

Benny that's exactly what i didn't want to hear :lol thanks for the advice though!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

Haha sorry! I've always gone under the mantra that burning fat should be totally separate from muscle strength training.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I'm sure, for weight loss, hitting the cardio hard and fast is the best thing for you. Though, getting in to lift once in a while, in my completely uneducated opinion, probably still isn't bad - and feels awesome. I love that feeling of muscle soreness for a couple days after lifting for the first time in a while.

On my own front, I have indeed gotten back into the late night walking habit (except for the last couple nights when I was working - 12 hour overnight shifts are the debil), and have been drinking a lot more water the last few days. Peeing like a racehorse, but I suppose that's a good thing.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

TenaciousBe wrote:I'm sure, for weight loss, hitting the cardio hard and fast is the best thing for you. Though, getting in to lift once in a while, in my completely uneducated opinion, probably still isn't bad - and feels awesome.
Indeed it does. Nothing wrong with getting toned. Get yourself a chin-up bar! Chin-ups and Pull-ups are great for you, and work a lot of different upper body muscles. It's also really easy to start & stop! You can get one that fits into a doorframe for about $20 on Amazon.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

What do you mean 'Toned'? Everyone keeps saying 'toned' but I don't know what it means.

Anyway, if anyone's interested in the facts then know these two things:

1. You can't 'Spot Target' fat loss. It's a general process, and things like doing sit-ups to 'target' the abs won't do shit to the visceral tyre of fat around your bellies. You lose fat, you lose it from everywhere.

2. If you're a disgusting fatbody (Full Metal Jacket anyone?) then excercise alone won't cut it. Diet will bear the biggest brunt and be the main catalyst in the early to mid stages (Depending how much you want to lose it could be everything). There are a number of ways to lose fat through diet, some easier and more tasty than others, but some will offer much quicker results. The golden rule is to ensure that you're in a reasonable calorific deficit. I.e., if you're typical diet is 2000 calories then consuming 1500 calories instead means that the extra 500 your body needs will be taken from your fat stores. Increase the deficit and you increase the weight loss. Simple as.

Keeping the weight off is a different story all together, and it's a complicated area but there are a couple of key elements that need to be rectified. Overeating (And over eating certain foods) invariably leads to a disregulated appetite. Fixing this is a major step in mainting your new weight, and while it isn't as straight forward as simply eating less it is greatly helped by introducing more satiating foods which help reset the food reward centres of the brain. That last passage doesn't do the biology justice at all but I'm just trying to simplify it for those who aren't nutrition enthusiasts.

It's all really interesting stuff, if anyone wants help with a plan feel free to PM me and I can get to know your situation a little better.

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

DonHarry wrote:What do you mean 'Toned'? Everyone keeps saying 'toned' but I don't know what it means.
"Toned" = RAWR LOOK AT MY AWESOME ABS YO.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

See, I'd be calling that kind of enthusiasm 'Ripped' or 'Shredded'. When I hear toned I think of slender milfs doing situps in their living room :P

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Oh Harreh

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

no, you're toning the muscles...working the little ones around the big ones so there's more definition.
Photobucket cash grab.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Lawls at DH hittin on the mommas

Post by zazthespaz »

Thanks for the input guys I'm taking it all into consideration. Another question: I've been using my stationary bike and set it for calorie burn mode which is supposed to burn about 225 calories in half an hour. I get up an excellent sweat but my heart rate doesn't rise too significantly to the extent I can carry on a conversation at any point. Is this helping to burn fat or should I do another strategy?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Pretty sure running is better cardio than cycling

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Depends on what cycling. If it's a spinning class, they work your ass off harder than running will.
Photobucket cash grab.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I have a nice toned butt though! I'll post pics later.

Post by zazthespaz »

Macca wrote:Pretty sure running is better cardio than cycling
most definitely, but i can't watch Boy Meets World when I'm running since I don't have a treadmill. Nor can I run far...
Ryan wrote:Depends on what cycling. If it's a spinning class, they work your ass off harder than running will.
It's home basement cycling... it changes the degree of resistance as I progress.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

zazisaspaz
On The Rail

Post by zazisaspaz »

FITNESS THREAD WOO LESSGO 2013!!!
i'm getting way too lazy this winter break (and cameron can vouch for that) so all y'all can motivate me haha

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

(insert josi picture here)

there ya go