The Stormlight Archive Mafia - Life Before Death - The CHAOS of Night 3

Talk about anything and everything here.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: We hit 10!

Post by Andy92 »

Silver wrote:
Inconquerable wrote:Ooooh a newcomer! Welcome to the forum! I misread your name and thought somebody named Uho was hitting Julianna, which just seemed rude!

It took me five minutes to figure out the correct way to read it. :facepalm
There’s a character in Stormlight named Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Silver
Brand New Start

Re: The Stormlight Archive Mafia - Life Before Death - Signups

Post by Silver »

That is. . . A lot of vowels. And reminds me of Hawaiian XD

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: The Stormlight Archive Mafia - Life Before Death - Day One

Post by Andy92 »

All was silent on the afternoon that Dalinar Kholin assembled the Knights Radiant for a meeting, until Wit arrived.

"Good evening to you all, and by good evening I mean the evening will be good, as the evening will signal the end of another long-winded afternoon ensemble."

"That's enough, Wit," Dalinar chimed in. "We have too many important matters to discuss without your constant griping."

"I believe a discussion of matter should be reserved for an academic lecture as it relates to science," Wit responded. "Let me ask you, does the hot air in your head always remain as a gas, or does it ever turn to a liquid?"

"I'll turn your head into liquid if you don't pipe down," Dalinar exhaled.

"Enough," Jasnah interceded. "We are being hunted day and night, we have no time for humor. There may even be a traitor in our midst."

The air in the room grew still.

Lift belched. "Does anyone have any storming pancakes?"

"...As I was saying," Jasnah sighed. "We just had another run-in with Nale. He is threatening to begin executing those he believes to be too...unlawful."

"Easy for him to say, he is the law in that twisted head of his," Dalinar said. "But no matter, I have enough power to stall for time if Nale attacks. You will all be safe as long as I am here."

"But what about the Midnight Mother? How must we handle her if she returns?" Shallan shivered, thinking of their previous encounter.

"We must keep a sharp eye out for imposters. We know each other well, and we must keep our keen eyes to combat her attempts at using illusions," Dalinar explained.

"And what about Odium?" Kaladin asked. "Dalinar, we have ignored the main threat for far too long."

"We will find him, soldier. If need be..." All eyes turned to Szeth.

A voice hummed from Szeth's direction, but his lips did not move. Are we ready to destroy some evil today?

The Stormlight Archive Mafia - Day One Begins

This phase will last until 11:00 PM EST on Thursday, July 16th.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: "killing voidbringers. lolz."

Post by zazthespaz »

Is that's Szeth's hand pictured holding the sword? (It'd make sense) Dude's vascular. What's his workout regimen?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Destroying evil, actually.

Post by Andy92 »

zazthespaz wrote:Is that's Szeth's hand pictured holding the sword? (It'd make sense) Dude's vascular. What's his workout regimen?
I'll happily answer lore questions. :D That's Szeth and his sword, Nightblood, slowly life-draining him if he isn't careful.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Asking questions, it's in my nature!

Post by Inconquerable »

Yay looking forward to reading the stories as they unfold since I've never read these books before.

Now, time to get down to serious business. I am officially claiming one of the three vigilante roles. If you also got a role that fits the description of a vigilante, please do not counter claim, there are three possible vigilante types (Jasnah, Szeth, and Nale). My strategy in this game isn't going to be any different than the last, I'm looking for townies first to then set up a process of elimination to go off of to find mafia. But I also plan on using my kill by/before day three. Therefore, I am also officially asking for Kaladin's help in getting me there. Again, Kaladin please do not claim now. I'm hoping with my play I can gain your trust enough to have earned the protection at night.

If anybody has any questions for me, please ask! I will be asking plenty of questions as the day goes on I'm sure. Which brings me to...

Andy are we using deadline/immediate votes again or are we just doing plain votes?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

We can use the deadline/immediate vote metric again since the phases are timed.

All deadline votes will be processed at the end of the phase. If enough immediate votes are cast and a majority consensus is reached, the phase will end early.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

I will need to read these roles tomorrow when I'm off work. Seems like the game will be intense.

Lotha
Colloquial

I seem to be the only one who knows what must be done.

Post by Lotha »

Inconquerable wrote:If you also got a role that fits the description of a vigilante, please do not counter claim, there are three possible vigilante types (Jasnah, Szeth, and Nale).
Nale wouldn't claim anyway because he's on the side of the Voidbringers.

Also, by claiming a role so soon and so openly asking for Kaladin's help, you are making target selection much easier for the Voidbringers if Kaladin listens to you. If anyone should claim their role and ask for protection right at the start, it's Wit (or maybe even Dalinar). Szeth or Jasnah are vigilante roles and don't bring enough to the table, especially in the early game, to justify hogging the doctor role. Without information from the cop, they're killing based on hunches and scum reads which is less than ideal.

I don't think your strategy is a good one and I do think you should reconsider it. I'll believe you're not a Voidbringer, however - for now.
Photobucket is responsible for my lack of signature today.

TABN Discord: https://discord.gg/sGXRGZ

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Asking questions, it's in my nature!

Post by Ubik »

Inconquerable wrote:Yay looking forward to reading the stories as they unfold since I've never read these books before.

Now, time to get down to serious business. I am officially claiming one of the three vigilante roles. If you also got a role that fits the description of a vigilante, please do not counter claim, there are three possible vigilante types (Jasnah, Szeth, and Nale). My strategy in this game isn't going to be any different than the last, I'm looking for townies first to then set up a process of elimination to go off of to find mafia. But I also plan on using my kill by/before day three. Therefore, I am also officially asking for Kaladin's help in getting me there. Again, Kaladin please do not claim now. I'm hoping with my play I can gain your trust enough to have earned the protection at night.

If anybody has any questions for me, please ask! I will be asking plenty of questions as the day goes on I'm sure. Which brings me to...

Andy are we using deadline/immediate votes again or are we just doing plain votes?
You just had to make an entrance.

My first thoughts here are similar to Lotha's. Role claiming has had little benefit for the town in the last few games, and has made targeting easier for the mafia. You even asked a question in the previous game where your preferred answer was for people to step away from claiming - okay it was a mass claim, but still. Doing so on a vigilante role where there are more than one, and therefore where the risk of counterclaiming is minimal, is also a little off-putting, as is that you mention one of the mafia in your list of other vigilantes. So I guess my question is - why make this claim? Where's the benefit? I realise you might have something deeper going on in which case you obviously shouldn't tell us, but I still need something decent on those questions. Doing it just so we can have a vigilante kill doesn't seem enough to me.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Micky
On The Rail

Vascular and spectacular

Post by Micky »

zazthespaz wrote:Is that's Szeth's hand pictured holding the sword? (It'd make sense) Dude's vascular. What's his workout regimen?
I’ve seen and tried your workout regimen, you’re as close as it could get
Thanks Andy!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm going to have to read all the roles a few more times.

For now, I agree Incon's claim was super weird, but at the same time, she's smart, and if she were mafia, this would be an awful move.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Lotha
Colloquial

Post by Lotha »

I don't think Inc is a Voidbringer currently but perhaps she's itching to join them. Claiming a role openly would certainly get her Odium's attention.

Just a thought ofc, could be that she wants to be the town leader here, but I don't think a vigilante role is suited for that.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Love a good entrance, me.

Post by Inconquerable »

Lotha wrote:Nale wouldn't claim anyway because he's on the side of the Voidbringers.
Of course, my point was just that there are three possible vigilante roles.
Lotha wrote:Also, by claiming a role so soon and so openly asking for Kaladin's help, you are making target selection much easier for the Voidbringers if Kaladin listens to you. If anyone should claim their role and ask for protection right at the start, it's Wit (or maybe even Dalinar). Szeth or Jasnah are vigilante roles and don't bring enough to the table, especially in the early game, to justify hogging the doctor role. Without information from the cop, they're killing based on hunches and scum reads which is less than ideal.

I don't think your strategy is a good one and I do think you should reconsider it. I'll believe you're not a Voidbringer, however - for now.
How does me asking for Kaladin's help make their choice easier? Kaladin doesn't have to listen to me... I'll answer anything, but the one thing I want to avoid as much as possible is mech talk, because that gives mafia way more than a role claim.
Ubik wrote:You just had to make an entrance.

My first thoughts here are similar to Lotha's. Role claiming has had little benefit for the town in the last few games, and has made targeting easier for the mafia. You even asked a question in the previous game where your preferred answer was for people to step away from claiming - okay it was a mass claim, but still. Doing so on a vigilante role where there are more than one, and therefore where the risk of counterclaiming is minimal, is also a little off-putting, as is that you mention one of the mafia in your list of other vigilantes. So I guess my question is - why make this claim? Where's the benefit? I realise you might have something deeper going on in which case you obviously shouldn't tell us, but I still need something decent on those questions. Doing it just so we can have a vigilante kill doesn't seem enough to me.
I think the distinction is important though that mass claiming is bad. And like I said in the previous game, that question was to get people talking instead of just messing around on day one for 48 hours without getting anywhere. Which is... part of my answer to your questions here. But before I get there, of course I would list Nale as one of the options? This might sound a bit concerned about optics here, but imagine the field day you would have had with me if I had intentionally left Nale out.

Anyway, your questions. I obviously can't get into everything, there is a strategy involved, but what I said in my post was the goal. You and Lotha might not agree that having two town vigilantes is a big thing, but I certainly do. If we manage to both successfully kill one of the Voidbringers, we only then have to find one mafia, and we have far more day phases in which to do it. Whereas if we don't have vigilantes, we're in a spot similar to last game where we basically have to get it right each time (especially if we're going for a no vote in day one). Am I also getting reads based on responses here? Of course! You know that I read alignment into every post in the early stages, same thing here.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I think the issue is not that having two town vigilantes is a big problem, but that revealing it so early can't be proven. Might as well be a mafia vigilante. Don't think I'm instantly disregarding your tactics... Overal I much prefer to have a plan from the beginning. Caution is just very, very advised.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: I did it for The Rock! Uh... I mean Andy.

Post by Inconquerable »

Timotheus wrote:I think the issue is not that having two town vigilantes is a big problem, but that revealing it so early can't be proven. Might as well be a mafia vigilante. Don't think I'm instantly disregarding your tactics... Overal I much prefer to have a plan from the beginning. Caution is just very, very advised.
Of course! And I don't expect people to just automatically assume I'm telling the truth, there's a huge chance that I'm not (70٪ but let's not do math). I understand your concerns though, over the course of the game I think I'll be able to prove myself to everybody.

Also Andy isn't playing this time, somebody has to cause some chaos. =D

Lotha
Colloquial

Re: Love a good entrance, me.

Post by Lotha »

Inconquerable wrote:
Lotha wrote:Also, by claiming a role so soon and so openly asking for Kaladin's help, you are making target selection much easier for the Voidbringers if Kaladin listens to you. If anyone should claim their role and ask for protection right at the start, it's Wit (or maybe even Dalinar). Szeth or Jasnah are vigilante roles and don't bring enough to the table, especially in the early game, to justify hogging the doctor role. Without information from the cop, they're killing based on hunches and scum reads which is less than ideal.

How does me asking for Kaladin's help make their choice easier? Kaladin doesn't have to listen to me... I'll answer anything, but the one thing I want to avoid as much as possible is mech talk, because that gives mafia way more than a role claim.
Inc: I want to avoid mech talk as much as possible
Also Inc: starts a mech talk with her first post

Kaladin doesn't have to listen to you. But you asking for protection from Kaladin does make it more probable that Kaladin would indeed protect you. Your asking reveals your intent to be safe in the first night, whether with Kaladin's help, or through making it seem like you'd be likely to have Kaladin's help.

You're essentially diverting mafia's attention in n1 (and possibly n2 as well) away from yourself at the cost of other townies, when you are not (if we're to trust you) an indispensable or a very powerful role (there are two vigilantes). Why? You could have just kept your role for yourself at least for a while.

UhohitsJulianna
Brand New Start

Post by UhohitsJulianna »

Now you guys have to bear with me as I'm new to this particular game, but generally in my experience with social deduction the first person to break the silence and claim a role is usually someone just trying to start the conversation to figure it all out. However, this does tend to split up the groups opinions on them and stirs it all up.

With that in mind, I don't think Inc is a threat at this point, but does lead me to believe that there is more than what is currently being said about their role.

Definitely has given us some things to think about :)

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

As a clarification to a game rule, if someone accepts Odium’s offer, it will not be mentioned in this game thread. But if Wit investigates the traitor after they switch sides, they will be revealed to Wit as a mafia member.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Uh... subject?

Post by Inconquerable »

Lotha wrote:Inc: I want to avoid mech talk as much as possible
Also Inc: starts a mech talk with her first post

Kaladin doesn't have to listen to you. But you asking for protection from Kaladin does make it more probable that Kaladin would indeed protect you. Your asking reveals your intent to be safe in the first night, whether with Kaladin's help, or through making it seem like you'd be likely to have Kaladin's help.

You're essentially diverting mafia's attention in n1 (and possibly n2 as well) away from yourself at the cost of other townies, when you are not (if we're to trust you) an indispensable or a very powerful role (there are two vigilantes). Why? You could have just kept your role for yourself at least for a while.
I... don't know if I've ever disagreed with a post in a game more?

Me directly asking for help does not change Kaladin's decision at all? If anything, I think it's less likely that Kaladin protects me if I'm directly asking for protection, but this is all conjecture, only Kaladin knows what they are going to do in the night. I also would not assume that Kaladin saved me in the night if I'm here in day two, there are way too many other possibilities for anybody to just assume that. Unless there's a no kill over night, I don't assume that Kaladin chose the same target as mafia.

Also disagree with the second paragraph big time. I'm claiming to have a role that can kill a mafia in the night. You and I both know, smart mafia gets rid of the threat. Again, if both town vigilantes successfully kill a mafia, it blows this game wide open for the town. Having both kills be successful means town has more days to find the last mafia, because we only now have to find one. I really do not see how putting myself directly in the middle of the fire by claiming one of the vigilantes (or any role for that matter) right off the bat diverts attention to somebody else. Just because I asked for Kaladin to protect me doesn't mean that's actually what I want.

RE: mech talk, my role claim didn't have to end up in mech talk, and I think you know that. Ubik clearly saw that there was probably more behind it than simply a role claim. I think you probably see that too...