The Grammar Thread - Fixing GenZ one TABN post at a time!

Talk about anything and everything here.
zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: He's 6.

Post by zazthespaz »

Bumping this thread to celebrate the 7 month anniversary of me missing the 10th birthday of this thread. Weird to think this thread is older than Micky.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

zazthespaz wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:42 pm Bumping this thread to celebrate the 7 month anniversary of me missing the 10th birthday of this thread. Weird to think this thread is older than Micky.
I guess its, easy to loose track of thyme;

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: shut it down.

Post by zazthespaz »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:31 am
zazthespaz wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:42 pm Bumping this thread to celebrate the 7 month anniversary of me missing the 10th birthday of this thread. Weird to think this thread is older than Micky.
I'm torn between laughing and exploding.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

:lol :lol
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: shut it down.

Post by Crumbso »

zazthespaz wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:47 am
I'm torn between laughing and exploding.

AlterBlade
White Knuckled

Re: Six year necropost!!! Top that Alterblade.

Post by AlterBlade »

zazthespaz wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:41 pm I saw this on an Instagram post and I've been going nuts thinking about it ever since. "Thank you for letting me be apart of your wedding." One space makes a world of difference.

Apart vs. A part
Apart - separated by a distance; at a specified distance from each other in time or space.
A part - a piece or segment of something such as an object, activity, or period of time, which combined with other pieces makes up the whole
Won't be hard to top :cheers
I still live.... #2024
Vote: AlterBlade

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

AlterBlade wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:17 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:41 pm I saw this on an Instagram post and I've been going nuts thinking about it ever since. "Thank you for letting me be apart of your wedding." One space makes a world of difference.

Apart vs. A part
Apart - separated by a distance; at a specified distance from each other in time or space.
A part - a piece or segment of something such as an object, activity, or period of time, which combined with other pieces makes up the whole
I'm quite often stuck at work between "realtime" and "real time". It's one of the few phrases I'm still not sure which is correct in any particular instance.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:38 am

Apart vs. A part
I'm quite often stuck at work between "realtime" and "real time". It's one of the few phrases I'm still not sure which is correct in any particular instance.
If it helps, I've never heard of "realtime" being written as one word before. Definitely go with "in real time" in any situation.

Also, the 'letting me be apart of your day" thing irks me! It means basically the opposite of what you're trying to say.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: I want a job at the grammarist.

Post by zazthespaz »

TenaciousBe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:50 pm

Apart vs. A part
If it helps, I've never heard of "realtime" being written as one word before. Definitely go with "in real time" in any situation.
I've never heard of "realtime" either, I Googled it a couple of days ago and just did it again, this was new I think:

"Real-time, with a hyphen, is an adjective describing something in which results, feedback, or statistical data follow input with no noticeable delay. The word is increasingly spelled realtime, and this may eventually become the standard spelling if people continue to find the adjective useful. For now, though, the hyphenated form is preferred." https://grammarist.com/spelling/real-time
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: I want a job at the grammarist.

Post by Crumbso »

zazthespaz wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:01 pm

Apart vs. A part
I've never heard of "realtime" either, I Googled it a couple of days ago and just did it again, this was new I think:

"Real-time, with a hyphen, is an adjective describing something in which results, feedback, or statistical data follow input with no noticeable delay. The word is increasingly spelled realtime, and this may eventually become the standard spelling if people continue to find the adjective useful. For now, though, the hyphenated form is preferred." https://grammarist.com/spelling/real-time
Sorry. I actually meant the difference between real-time, real time and realtime. The standards in the IT industry are all over the place.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Get a new job?

Post by zazthespaz »

Crumbso wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:07 am
zazthespaz wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:01 pm

Apart vs. A part

Sorry. I actually meant the difference between real-time, real time and realtime. The standards in the IT industry are all over the place.
You're confusing me in real-ti me
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Not updating the main post with this one.

Post by zazthespaz »

Song vs. Soung
Some of you may have received an email or two this week in which it became apparent that this needed to be said.
Song - n. - a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung.
Soung - not a word. Maybe a clumsy portmanteau of song and sung/sound?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Micky is now 7 for those keeping count.

Post by zazthespaz »

Council vs. Counsel (inspired by a conversation with Andy92 & Micky
Council - n. - an assembly or meeting for consultation, advice, or discussion
Counsel - n. - advice given especially as a result of consultation - (alt.) v. - to advise

Example from text message with Andy92 (pm me for his phone number, I'm giving it out freely):
"After consulting with the math council they have counseled me the following consultancy."
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says