Video Game Bonanza!

Talk about anything and everything here.
mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Video Game Bonanza!

Post by mitch103 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:20 am Welp. I already uninstalled Skyrim because I just wasnt having a good time playing it. Didn't like the layout of the map or how the map looks on the menu for finding locations and the gameplay wasnt enjoyable enough early on to keep me interested.

So I redownloaded Red Dead Redemption that I bought years and years ago on Xbox 360 and never gave it much of a chance either and started playing that from the beginning again last night :lol Much better feel to it than Skyrim :lol Hopefully I can stick with this one enough to finish it and maybe get RDR2 after :lol
Skyrim didn't grab me right away either. It took me a few years to come back to it to appreciate it.
Rdr is an awesome franchise, similar to Witcher in some very important ways (great story telling, meaningful characters, great voice acting, great atmosphere, fun gameplay)

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: "You Died" does not count as beating the game btw.

Post by zazthespaz »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:20 am Welp. I already uninstalled Skyrim because I just wasnt having a good time playing it. Didn't like the layout of the map or how the map looks on the menu for finding locations and the gameplay wasnt enjoyable enough early on to keep me interested.

So I redownloaded Red Dead Redemption that I bought years and years ago on Xbox 360 and never gave it much of a chance either and started playing that from the beginning again last night :lol Much better feel to it than Skyrim :lol Hopefully I can stick with this one enough to finish it and maybe get RDR2 after :lol
I bought Skyrim a few months after it initially came out, played a few hours and never played again so I get it. I saw a bunch of videos showing all the things you can do in the years since and decided to give it another shot and it's paying off. I think what I really appreciate is all the different ways to play and storylines that opens up, but if you're looking for more action, I see why it doesn't pay off.

RDR2 is really good and has a bunch of small details put into it that people are still discovering. That reason alone I think makes the game worth a playthrough. Never played the first though.

Beat Outer Wilds last night. Glad you told me to do the Echoes of the Eye before finishing, Ubik - really made the ending more special. I had to look up how to get past the final alarm and discover a new way to light my lamp so kind of bummed about that, but I doubt I would've figured it out on my own. I really regret having that 2 month period without playing the game, I forgot a lot of details that got me to the end so the ending didn't feel like it had as much of a pay off as it would've if I'd played straight through. Great game regardless, but if anyone reading this decides to play, don't take too long of a break in the middle of playing it :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

mitch103 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:45 am What are people's games they're looking forward to coming out this year(ish)?
My top 2 are Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild 2!
Horizon Forbidden West is a close 3rd
A few that don't have release dates yet that I'm super excited about are:
Harry Potter Legacy
God of War Ragnarok
The Callisto Protocol
Dead Space Remake

I hear Metroid Prime 4 is in development, and after playing Dread on switch I'm right back into my obsession with that franchise again!
Elden Ring is on the top of my list currently (for games with release dates anyways). That and Horizon Forbidden West will probably be the next two games I play the most once they release later this month.

Forspoken looks kind of interesting too. I’ll probably wait for some reviews on that one after it comes out but I like the concept of a regular person getting dropped into fantasy land and learning magic.

Zelda and Metroid are always on my “looking forward to” list regardless of what decade we’re in lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Re: "You Died" does not count as beating the game btw.

Post by Dan Dando »

zazthespaz wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:45 pm RDR2 is really good and has a bunch of small details put into it that people are still discovering. That reason alone I think makes the game worth a playthrough. Never played the first though.
I have very fond memories of playing RDR2 during the summer a couple years back. I loved reading Arthur's journal entries.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Glad you made it, zaz! I got very lucky on my playthrough that I learned a secret (which I shall call Neo Mode) early, basically through my incompetent puzzle solving, which helped a lot.

I'm in an odd place of not really wanting to get any more games till I get the PS5, and also not yet wanting (or probably able) to get a PS5. I'll get Hades as some point, looks interesting.
For all of the hope that it brings...

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Andy92 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:33 pm
mitch103 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:45 am What are people's games they're looking forward to coming out this year(ish)?
My top 2 are Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild 2!
Horizon Forbidden West is a close 3rd
A few that don't have release dates yet that I'm super excited about are:
Harry Potter Legacy
God of War Ragnarok
The Callisto Protocol
Dead Space Remake

I hear Metroid Prime 4 is in development, and after playing Dread on switch I'm right back into my obsession with that franchise again!
Elden Ring is on the top of my list currently (for games with release dates anyways). That and Horizon Forbidden West will probably be the next two games I play the most once they release later this month.

Forspoken looks kind of interesting too. I’ll probably wait for some reviews on that one after it comes out but I like the concept of a regular person getting dropped into fantasy land and learning magic.

Zelda and Metroid are always on my “looking forward to” list regardless of what decade we’re in lol
I forgot about Forspoken. Definitely interested in that game as well. I think it could have some great potential. I'm glad it's a next gen game, but like you I'm going to wait unti some reviews come out. Next gen games so far have really impressed me: Demons Souls remake and Returnal. The graphical fidelity coupled with increased frame rates are astonishing on a 4k tv.
I'm downloading the demo on steam right now for Factorio. Anyone played that?

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: Finished RDR2....

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I bought RDR2 on PS4 2 weeks ago shortly after beating RDR1 on my xbox because it was on sale for like $30 as opposed to being still $70 on Xbox. And I just finished it yesterday.

I really enjoyed my first playthrough of it. Much more than I did of my first RDR playthrough. I was skeptical how or if Arthur Morgan would live up to John Marston, but honestly after playing both games and spending lots of time with both protagonists, Arthur Morgan is my favorite by far.

His story is so tragic and well written that once it was over I was legitimately upset that I wasnt able to continue to play as him afterwards. Rockstar really knocked it out of the park with this one. Genuinely one of the most developed worlds and captivating stories I've had the pleasure of experiencing in gaming. How the decline of his health slowly unravels and you watch him progressively get closer to death as you become more attached to him as you play is heartbreaking to experience.

There's also just so many little activities like the poker, cards, dominos, five finger fillet, fishing, hunting, going to the theater to watch a performance or movie, etc and quests you can do in the game that really add to the diversity of the gameplay experience that I loved. Never expected to find myself sitting there playing dominos with a camp member for 20 mins straight between missions but it happened :lol And the random encounters you can experience out in the world in the wild really helps create a level of uniqueness and spontaneity that almost guarantees your playthrough wont be exactly the same as someone elses which makes for great discussion and banter about it. Didnt expect to be cleaning outs so many horse stalls or milking cows as Marston in the end tho :lol

While I understand its not the most realistic game ever created :lol I really did appreciate just the level of realism and attention to detail that the game did have to offer. Like how your hair grows over time or Arthurs weight fluctuates based on your diet. The handling of the guns and how they felt like they had a weight to them as opposed to being mostly weightless like in most shooters, not always shooting with 100% accuracy and having to maintain their cleanliness over time. The way the mud, water, blood, and snow all impact your clothing and dont just disappear after 30 seconds was such a neat feature. Getting mauled by a bear and having bloody claw marks ripped into your clothing after a close call. Or having to adjust your clothes to be appropriate for the different temperatures of certain areas, I was not expecting any of this level of detail :lol

And dont even get me started on the environments and how graphically breathtaking everything looked. Definitely one of the best looking games Ive ever played. The night time cycle of the game especially when its paired with the light of flames is gorgeous. And the variety of land on the map really helped the game from looking stale after the first few hours. All the biomes from the snowy mountains to the swamps and lakes, grass plains, and towns all looked amazing. And all the weather effects were nice too.

The honor system was a nice feature to the game as well. And the fact there's multiple endings that are dependant on your honor level and choices you make throughout the game really enforced upon me the idea to be a "good guy" because I didnt want to get the "bad ending" :lol And after I finished the game with the "good ending" I watched the rest on YouTube and felt like I definitely made the right call :lol

Im sad I'll never get to experience this game for the first time again :lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Caved in and paid full price for Ghost of Tsushima since it didnt look like it was dropping from the $80 anytime soon. Now thats my current gaming adventure

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Pong.

Post by zazthespaz »

Glad you liked RDR2 Shea! I wasn't blown away by the storyline, but was sad to see Arthur go. The details in that game plus graphics are what really impress me, gets me excited for future games that have that much effort put into them!
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:33 pm Im sad I'll never get to experience this game for the first time again :lol
I just heard someone say something similar in a podcast earlier this week and they said they felt that way about the Bioshock series. Reminded me I felt the same way - the unique worlds and memorable characters are one of a kind. Anyone else have a game like that?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

KotOR was the first real one for me, I think. Probably my first RPG too, getting that lightsaber for the first time was a real kick.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Beat the Malenia boss fight on Elden Ring tonight. Absolute pain lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Currently playing through Horizon: Zero Dawn...I plan to play Horizon: Forbidden West at some point too but there's also a spring sale on the PSN going on so I bought the Mafia trilogy, Spiderman: Miles Morales, and the Batman Arkham trilogy for $100 total. Now I have 9 games to play for the forseeable future...After those games are all finished I might also grab Assassin's Creed: Valhalla but that wasnt on sale this time unfortunately. Gonna take until 2023 to finish all these games though now that I actually have a full-time job :lol :/

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: and stop teabagging me in Halo.

Post by zazthespaz »

Getting upset at the number of kids in Call of Duty deathcomms telling me and other people to F off. I think in a world where we're seeing a growing amount of intolerance and violence/murder as a result, parents allowing their kids to vent anger at strangers online is certainly not helping and possibly contributing to the problem. I get that people get upset playing these games, but if it's to the level you're swearing at strangers while using racial, religious, and homophobic slurs, you're not treating it as a game anymore and you should stop "playing" it. It's becoming apparent that kids are learning from this behavior and replicating it and while it may not be a direct cause for the frequent mass shootings we have in the US, I think it's certainly a contributing factor. Kids are being allowed at young ages to cuss, scream, and tell strangers off online just for playing a video game, and I think that helps develop bad habits that grow into violent tendencies if not taken care of. TLDR: watch what your kids play, how they play it, and who they're interacting with (even if they don't say anything back) - I think it can have serious repercussions.

(probably talking into the void, idk how many parents are on here this would apply to, but keep in mind for any of you future parents)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: and stop teabagging me in Halo.

Post by gbruin »

zazthespaz wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:06 pm Getting upset at the number of kids in Call of Duty deathcomms telling me and other people to F off. I think in a world where we're seeing a growing amount of intolerance and violence/murder as a result, parents allowing their kids to vent anger at strangers online is certainly not helping and possibly contributing to the problem. I get that people get upset playing these games, but if it's to the level you're swearing at strangers while using racial, religious, and homophobic slurs, you're not treating it as a game anymore and you should stop "playing" it. It's becoming apparent that kids are learning from this behavior and replicating it and while it may not be a direct cause for the frequent mass shootings we have in the US, I think it's certainly a contributing factor. Kids are being allowed at young ages to cuss, scream, and tell strangers off online just for playing a video game, and I think that helps develop bad habits that grow into violent tendencies if not taken care of. TLDR: watch what your kids play, how they play it, and who they're interacting with (even if they don't say anything back) - I think it can have serious repercussions.

(probably talking into the void, idk how many parents are on here this would apply to, but keep in mind for any of you future parents)
I hear ya. I used to sit with Drew while he'd play various online games in his younger teens and I was pretty dismayed at some of the comments going on. Lots of kids (and probably adults too) lose any qualms about popping off in an anonymous setting like that, and it can't help but carry over to real life. Fortunately my son got to where he only communicated with his buddies privately and he would turn off conversations otherwise but it's easy to see that a lot of malignant and antisocial behavior thrives there.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Anyone ever played Soma? That's an interesting game.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Has anyone else heard about the $20,000 Charlie/MoistCritikal Halo 2 Solo LASO(No Envy) Deathless challenge? The requirements being...
Playing Halo 2 (Classic or Anniversary) solo/No Co-op.
Legendary Difficulty
All Skulls on, except Envy (so Chief wont get the active camo buff)
Can't die a single time throughout the challenge.
Must be streamed so it cant be cheated or faked.
No Saving/reloading checkpoints allowed.

Apparently its something that has never been done in the 18 year history of Halo 2's existence and he wanted to see if it was possible. And there's only like less than 10 people total who've managed to get past the Cairo Station level :lol Farthest someone made it was the Gravemind level which is level 12 of 15.

It's been going on since he first announced the challenge on June 24th.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Been playing lots of Apex. Just got the 3D Pulse head set for my PS5 and it’s amazing.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:24 pm Has anyone else heard about the $20,000 Charlie/MoistCritikal Halo 2 Solo LASO(No Envy) Deathless challenge? The requirements being...
Legendary Difficulty

Apparently its something that has never been done in the 18 year history of Halo 2's existence and he wanted to see if it was possible. And there's only like less than 10 people total who've managed to get past the Cairo Station level :lol Farthest someone made it was the Gravemind level which is level 12 of 15.

That challenge is worth more like $500k lol

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Andy92 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:37 am
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:24 pm Has anyone else heard about the $20,000 Charlie/MoistCritikal Halo 2 Solo LASO(No Envy) Deathless challenge? The requirements being...
Legendary Difficulty

That challenge is worth more like $500k lol
You'd have to pay me more than that just to deal with the stupid sniper bugs in Mombassa. You're uncovering 20 year old rage memories in me :lol :facepalm

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

Dan Dando wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:23 pm Anyone ever played Soma? That's an interesting game.
I loved that game. Really thought provoking and creepy... 2 of my favorite qualities in a game!