The Official Album Review Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
maximzub
On The Rail

Re: The Official Album Review Thread

Post by maximzub »

I originally created this thread with the intent to write some album reviews myself, but I never found the time to until now. Here are some short reviews on my top five most listened to albums of the past three weeks.

Breaking Benjamin: Phobia
This is the album where I think Breaking Benjamin found their sound. The Diary Of Jane, Breath, Evil Angel, Until The End, Dance With The Devil, Topless, Here We Are, and Unknown Soldier are all very well-crafted songs. There's a large variety of different tempos and intensities, so it's well-balanced. It's also not too aggressive, as opposed to Dear Agony, which I feel tried to imitate Phobia's structure. Favorite songs: Breath, Until The End, Dance With The Devil, Unknown Soldier, The Diary Of Jane

Tremonti: Marching In Time
Mark Tremonti has a very diverse catalog, and his five albums with Tremonti are no exception. That being said, I find this album to be a bit predictable. I actually just listened to the entire thing less than an hour ago, which was the first time I had ever heard The Last One Of Us, In One Piece, and Bleak, and the first time in a long time hearing A World Away and Under The Sun. All but one of Mark's solos are found at the end of each song, and they all seem to follow a specific formula of three cool melodic phrases and one crazy legato phrase, which gets old. The structures of the songs themselves actually follow a similar pattern to each other as well, except for the title track. Overall, it seems uninspired and this shows on songs like Under The Sun and Bleak. There are definitely some banger tracks and one impressive ballad (Not Afraid To Lose), but the rest are not songs I would go back to anytime soon. Favorite songs: If Not For You, Now And Forever, Would You Kill, Not Afraid To Lose, Thrown Further

Volbeat: Servant Of The Mind
There was a lot of hype leading up to this album that it would be a return to form for Volbeat and that we would be getting styles similar to the early albums. Well, we didn't get exactly that. Instead, we got a new direction that has some of its peaks and flaws. Most of the songs are decently heavy while keeping Volbeat's signature melodies on top, but it's in a different way heavy than some of their earlier stuff. The riffs seem to borrow more from early doom metal, NWOBHM, and old-school thrash metal. Some songs feel weak and uninspired (Temple Of Ekur, The Devil Rages On, Step Into Light), while others seem to have too much stuffed into them (Heaven's Descent, Lasse's Birgitta). Generally, it's an album full of highs and lows. The best songs were the singles. Favorite songs: Don't Tread On Me, Becoming, Shotgun Blues, Say No More, The Sacred Stones

Alter Bridge: Pawns & Kings
The most recently released album on this list, I find myself listening to it a lot due to recency bias. Unlike Volbeat, I feel like Alter Bridge didn't do much to evolve their sound. Of course they didn't stick to a formula like Breaking Benjamin does, but they pretty much combined the stylistic ideas of their last four albums. Like many other albums in this world, it suffers from half-point syndrome, where the first half majorly outweighs the second. The only big problem with the first half is that Sin After Sin drags along with no clear aim. But even the intro is cool, so it's an almost flawless first half. The second half is where things start to go downhill, with Holiday seeming like a Myles Kennedy song with Alter Bridge elements forced onto it, Fable Of The Silent Son taking all that was wrong with Sin After Sin and magnifying it fivefold, and having the last four songs be at the same tempo. Nevertheless, the title track is one of the strongest songs they've ever done. It's a weak album compared to others in their catalog, but I'm sure I'll be listening to the standout tracks in many years' time. Favorite songs: Pawns & Kings, This Is War, Stay, Dead Among The Living, Silver Tongue

Headroom Karma: Into The Vortex
For those of you that don't know, this is my band's demo album. I did most of the songwriting, with help from the other band members and friends, and I recorded all the vocals and instruments. I envisioned the best album possible, but we all know it's impossible to materialize that kind of vision. The last few songs written and recorded for the album clearly were rushed and are weaker songs as a result, with some exceptions. There are a variety of different styles on this album, more than on any of the other albums I've reviewed. I'm clearly wearing my influences on my sleeve, such as Alter Bridge (Roadtrip Song, Losing A Friend, The Bottle Is Empty), Breaking Benjamin (I Am The Night, Take You With Me), and a mix of classic rock styles (Free From This, I Wonder Why, Still Friends). Mostly it suffers from the weak opener (Long Live Metal) and uninspired guitar solos in some songs (Long Live Metal, Gray, I Am The Night, Shift Into Gear). The standouts are the ones I put the most work in writing. Overall, like I said before, it's not the perfect album I hoped for. Fortunately, it's only a demo album, which means I get the chance to tweak it and have my other band members input their ideas before going into the studio to record a proper studio album. Favorite songs: Still Friends, Roadtrip Song, Crushless Summer, The Bottle Is Empty, Sanity Insanity

I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

You know an album is going to be loud when you have to turn down your headphones compared to other music you've recently listened to. I stumbled upon Bring Me The Horizon back when Alter Bridge was heading to play live with the Parallax Orchestra at Royal Albert Hall. BMTH had a few videos on YouTube with Parallax - Doomed - still stands out to me. I heard Shadow Moses and was hooked. Here is the album review for Sempiternal released in 2013.

1. Can You Feel My Heart - has a synthy heartbeat kind of opening combined with the drumbeat that drives the song along. They have that "warm" feeling that I love in early Alter Bridge. Oli Sykes is by no means the world's greatest vocalist but if you watch his live performances I'd put him up there with most engaging front men that I've seen. When they do CYFMH live it is something to behold. The lyrics are simple. There are several instrumental portions with no vocals. I like that. Oli sounds super blown out and is reaching to hit most of the notes. It give the song a desperate, pleading, feel. The mid portion where things drop out is my favorite. They have some whispered backing. "I'm scared to get close, I hate being alone". Musically it is simple guitar chords, well placed drums, and that synth that pounds into your skull. A good opener - 8/10.

2. The House Of Wolves - Oli brings in some of the metalcorish vocal style from the early years here. The galloping drums are a highlight. A mega shout chanted chorus "Brick by brick!" I really like the guitar riff - duh, duh, duh, da, duh, da, da, da, da. I love a good headbang - "When you die the only kingdom you'll see is two foot wide and six foot deep!". We get a good grunt at the end which is straight brutal. 9/10.

3. Empire (Let Them Sing) - my absolute favorite intro on the album. It builds wonderfully with the guitars rising in volume. "We've been surrounded!". Lee Malia's guitar riff on this sounds MASSIVE! Jordan's synth in the background gives ominous heft. More chanted stuff which I love. Fist pumping "heys". The transition to "I hear them clawing at the gates" and then "Let them sing, let the bastards sing!" is phenomenal. 9.5/10.

4. Sleepwalking - another great intro highlighted by the guitar and drums. I think Oli sounds the best on this song. His singing is a definite strong point. The chorus is another standout - they do this kind of thing really well where he sings a line and then is followed by chanted callback. Some standout drumming throughout this song. There is good balance on every instrument. "Wake up! Give me a reason to start again!". Great programmed interlude and then you get HEAVY bass going into the final chorus. 9/10.

5. Go To Hell, For Heaven's Sake - this should be in the dictionary under "driving hard rock song". Oli's gutteral voice at the beginning is at it's most pronounced. The guitar line in the second verse is a little sharp to me. The explosive sound around 2:27 has great feel and punch to separate the back end of the song. "You're not a shepherd, you're just a sheep". 8/10.

6. Shadow Moses - I love choral chanting. "Can you tell from the look in our eyes? We're going NOwhere!" When this song hits after the drum roll it BEGS you to nod your head. The change of pace to almost punkish first verse is fantastic. The guitar squeals followed by duh-da-duh-duh-duh are one of my favorite things. Can you beat "THIS IS SEMPITERNAL!"? What a rush! If there was ever a moshpit worthy song it's this one. I love the moaned backing vocals during the final chorus followed by the solemn chanting. This is a career making song. 10/10.

7. And The Snakes Start To Sing - slows the album down a ton after the sheer aggression in the first six songs. It's dreary. Oli has a dreamy kind of sound to his voice. It picks up a little at the 3:00 mark. Intricate drumming. This is one of those songs where I start checking how much time is left. It is near the bottom of the pack for me. 4/10.

8. Seen It All Before - another slower paced song with similar feel to the previous song. Has a little extra oomph with the guitars. VERY pronounced bass in this song that I like. Oli sounds like he has something in his mouth for most of the second verse - his lisp is very pronounced "I don't want to do THith by myTHelf". So-so. 5/10.

9. Antivist - we head back to the HEAVY zone. This is about as clear of an "F you" song as you're ever going to get. The guitar riff sounds recycled from Empire and Shadow Moses. Oli feels like he's reaching down to his toes to SPIT out the lyrics. It's angry, combative, overly repetitive, and ultimately forgettable. 2/10.

10. Crooked Young - big time strings to open this. I like the drum sound. Back to the heavy riffage riding the single chord - with some serious chug-a-roo. The song's lyrics are completely hopeless. THIS is what happens when people don't have the true love of Jesus Christ expressed to them. They become ultra-resistant, bitter, and outspoken in their disgust for Christianity and it's a true shame that they've had it misrepresented. I feel for anyone who struggles with addiction as Oli has and then has religion forced upon them rather than presented as a wonderful life changing thing. 2/10.

11. Hospital For Souls - we've reached the end of the album. Oli gives a spoken intro. More heavy strings and headache inducing guitars/drums with a whining synth in the background. The only compliment I can give is another contender for best singing on the album. Oli has a very pleasing tone to his voice in the softer moments. The biggest problem I have with the final songs on this album is that they have almost no redeeming qualities to them. Alternating between soft and heavy with borderline unintelligible lyrics. There's a marching drumbeat that brings us to the final third of the song. This song is waaaaaaaaay too long at 6:44. I can't wait for it to be over. 2/10.

Whew! This album is truly divided with INCREDIBLY STRONG songs in the first half and BARELY LISTENABLE ones in the second half. I think the first six songs may go down as one of my top five album openers ever. Memorable lyrics, great guitar, bass, and drum sounds, well placed synths, and A+ chanting. It just drags awfully after Shadow Moses. Altogether a 7/10.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

Schulzy
White Knuckled

I Prevail - TRUE POWER Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

I Prevail. Yes, they are best known for covering a Taylor Swift song. I put their 2019 album - Trauma - as one of my favorites from that year. The follow up is TRUE POWER.

1. 0:00 - It's an intro. Some strange electronic noises and a sudden piercing sound that builds up into....

2. There's Fear In Letting Go - more electronic stuff going on with quick bursts of guitar. The vocals are front and center. Brian and Eric alternate going into the earth-shattering chorus. "This is the end of the world as you know". The bass actually takes over as the dominant instrument halfway through. There is a short dropout that grows into "Nothing's PERMANENT!". Feels a lot like Memphis May Fire's recent album. Harsh vocals, then Brian's soft stuff, and strings! Last 20 seconds or so has a big anthemic feel. Many enjoyable elements here - strong melody/vocals, punchy guitars - but I feel like I've heard it already this year. 7/10.

3. Body Bag - starts with frenetic guitar and drums while Eric screams and growls. Here come the F-bombs. Thankfully Brian comes in with the chorus "Bite down, face it". At the 1:00 mark there is a nasty dive bomb. Maybe that's why they have a mushroom cloud as the album artwork. This song feels like they are dropping something heavy on you. I like the rapid thrashy style stuff starting around 1:55. Brian starts rapping "So tell me what it's like at the bottom". There is a lot going on in this song. I applaud the musicality. I know many will like this but it's the lyrics that don't do much for me. 4.5/10.

4. Self-Destruction - Major pace change. Almost sludgy guitar riff. More F-bombs. This has a nice groove to it. But the super high pitched electronic stuff makes me cringe. Brian's rapping again. I wish the lyrics weren't so forgettable. "If you don't know the devil then you don't know me". At 1:50 it changes again. I have no idea what is going on or being said until the end "24/7 til we're six feet deep". 4/10.

5. Bad Things - here we go. THIS is I Prevail. Pop-Metalcore done to near perfection. Electronic mid-eastern style vocal to open. "I got a lot of bad things in my mind". Brian's voice sounds really good here. Kicks into full gear at the 1:04 mark. It has a big open feel to it. "I push away the people that I love the most, addicted to the feeling and the chemicals". Another MMF style breakdown with a big wind-up "Looking into the abyss, the future is a myth". Crazy-bouncy and mega-catchy! "The devil is real and I'm caught in his GRIP!" 9/10.

6. Fake - yet another song this year with this title. I like this one better than their label mates Until I Wake. A hip-hop feel to it. "If you're empty and you're hollow". The guitars alternate between pulsing verses and driving chorus. Thumping drums that lead into Eric "I'm so sick and tired of all your self righteous shit! You're so fucking fake!" Strong ending with some laughing and clapping. 7.5/10.

7. Judgement Day - thumping drums and quick verses into the chorus, "I don't care about what they say". This song races ahead and doesn't let up. The guitar work for the last 40 seconds or so is varied/excellent. 7/10.

8. FWYTYK - this is heavily hip-hop influenced. I'm getting a little tired of the F-bombs all over the place on this album. Not feeling this one. Brian has wild effects on his voice. Spoken stuff into building drums. Then it gets super distorted with the guitars at the end. Ouch! 2/10.

9. Deep End - guitars backed by the sound of rain and a big synth chord. Brian sings beautifully - he has a very pleasing voice. But enough with all of the "fucks" and "fuckin". They sound completely out of place on this song. Probably the most poppy sounding on the entire album. Again, great guitar work. I'm very impressed with the sound - bright and jazzy. Ends abruptly. 4.5/10.

10. Long Live The King - I like this. Repetitive roundabout riff. "Breathe in, breathe out". Thumping drums. "One day everybody will say, long live the king!". It all sounds good and has a memorable chorus. 7.5/10.

11. Choke - oh boy. It's an angry one. Pronounced bass. Eric is shouting - a lot. There's a lot more rapping on this. Okay, enough with the "f-ing name" stuff. Good grief. I get it, you're pissed off and trying to make it sound super aggressive. A little bass solo into the breakdown. Not good. 1.5/10.

12. The Negative - thankfully an upbeat song with Brian singing more. Eric is MUCH easier to understand. "I'm so sick and tired of the negative, black and white, you're right I'm f-ing over it". And you know what, listening to this kind of stuff gets old. 3/10.

13. Closure - softer. "Better off dead". A breakup song. "Get out the car you know that it's over". Doubled vocals on the second verse with Eric and Brian blending together "I know in my heart it's goodbye". At this point of the album I'm grateful for a song like this. Ends with guitar burst and then quiets down. 7.5/10.

14. Visceral - when I first heard it I thought - Linkin Park! The guitar riff sounds like it was ripped straight out of Hybrid Theory. The chorus is big "Are you afraid of the dark? It's coming straight for your heart". I'm truly impressed with the guitar work on this album. 7.5/10.

15. Doomed - muted piano/keyboard ballad. Brian is singing softly. It's stripped down and done well. "Like we're doomed". Eric takes the second verse. They both have nice clean vocals. Ends with "until the music stops". 7/10.

Well, fourteen songs. Many of them are super short. Pretty middle of the road for me lyrically with one standout - Bad Things. I get so weary of the cursing. Not needed and I am so thankful that Alter Bridge doesn't see any need to put that in their music. On the upside - I can't get over the guitar work on this album. They went all out. Riffs galore, quick changes, unique tones - REALLY well done. I think I will sit it at 6/10.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Creed - Human Clay Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

I've been working up to this review. How do you possibly put into words the complete impact an album has had in your life? Creed's Human Clay album arrived when I was still in high school. This was back when radio stations played a mix of all types of music from several genres. It was not uncommon to hear Sugar Ray followed by Britney Spears followed by Shania Twain followed by Pearl Jam. Google top Billboard songs from 1999-2000 and you will see what I mean. People actually BOUGHT CDs as the internet was still in infancy and file sharing was just starting to become a thing - Napster and Bearshare. I had really started to listen to full albums and appreciate them by going through my father's music collection - Beatles, Cream, The Who, The Eagles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and The Allman Brothers Band. I was heavily exposed to hip-hop, pop, rap, and R&B in the late 90s with Master P, Puff Daddy, Outkast, Jennifer Lopez, Destiny's Child, Tony Braxton, Nelly, Christina Aguilera, Eminem, KC and JoJo, etc. And then a song burst onto the airwaves - Higher.

1. Are You Ready - can you say mandolin? The slight bendy thing going on before the full riff kicks in is tremendous. What is it about music that pulls you in? My ears instantly said to my brain, "this is awesome!". Up to this point in time I'd never heard anything like it. The guitar tone was huge, thick, chunky, whatever you want to call it. Brian's bass work in this song is A+. And let's talk about Scott Stapp for a minute. Forget everything you know about him in 2022. His voice just spoke to me. The lyrics begged me to sing along. I tried to mimic this sound in my own singing for years - it was so powerful. You can detect the southern accent in the chorus "Are You Ready?" When the song nears the end - "your life has just begun!" - I could feel something inside me. It was literally jaw-dropping. Everything works here in perfect balance and is the blueprint for album openers that I've used to compare all others over the years. 10/10.

2. What If - this is the song that made me want to pick up guitar again after abandoning it in junior high. I admire Mark Tremonti not just as an insanely talented musician but also as a husband/father. I was actually able to say thank you to him in person many years ago. It is a signature isolated intro - finger picked with gorgeous clarity in Drop-D. There is slight static that lends texture up to the bass zoom - a Brian signature that I still find thrilling to this day. I absolutely LOVE this riff. Flip's drumming is so steady through this and give great punch to the start of each verse. And Scott's voice is at peak here - perfectly grungy, gritty, and has power that cuts through everything. At 2:35 we get the pre-bridge riff. Very similar to what they did in Bullets but slower with a tasty groove. You can FEEL Brian's bass and Flip (forgive me I'm not a drummer) just tinks away while Mark swirls in the background with that wah pedal going crazy. "I know I can't hold the hate inside my mind". The build up to the repeated "What If" and heavy riffage still gets me to this day. Why do I never get tired of it? 10/10.

I am in this video around the 1:11 mark - "My stage is shared by many millions".

3. Beatiful- Scott shines here with his voice (it is beautiful). Mark's guitar sounds very similar from song to song - and I love it. It just growls during the chorus. Great chugging and then quiets back down to the clean tone. I love the drum drop outs that Flip does. Then he comes in with the heavy Dum-dum-Dum-dum! Mark does that incredible bend before the chorus again and you can sing/hum it. I can't get over the production/sound on this album. John Kurzweg had a huge hand in making Creed as big as they were. 9/10.

4. Say I - Mark come shooting out of the gates with destructive riffing. This is one of my favorite things to play on guitar with heavy distortion. Flip's drumming in the background is nothing short of perfect and Brian adds that extra heaviness. Musically it may be the highlight of the album. What songs would I tell first time listeners to check out? This one is up there. There is a great effect if you listen for it around :30. Hard to describe - like a very strong bong with an echo. Almost like an ominous bell. Lyrically one of my favorite songs ever. "We're incomplete and hollow, for our maker's gone away". "Who is to blame?" This song at its pinnacle is everything I love about rock music and this band. Heavy, savage, powerful, epic, beautiful, pulse-raising, incredible. The ending with Mark doing backing vocals is nicely done. Gorgeous guitar at the end with soft strumming - "Say I". I love that extra sound effect that hovers throughout. 10/10.

5. Wrong Way - listen to this on headphones - starts in right speaker and then carries to left and then center. The drumming is slightly off kilter. And the bass - bum-bum-bum. Some of the best placed "yeahs" I've ever heard in songs. They are whispered in layers. This is a song where you think you know when it's going to kick in but backs off to build the anticipation. Mark shines with background singing again. I love when it picks up at 2:30. Mark's guitar sound is off the charts. It varies between clean and distorted. Flip's drumming is top notch again and Brian comes in at select parts. Lyrically a little weak in comparison to other songs on the album but still solid. 8.5/10.

6. Faceless Man - on an album full of fantastic songs this one shines. There is a droning noise before Scott starts singing. The lyrics are gorgeous and Mark repeats that mesmerizing guitar line. "I spent some time in nature to remind me of all that's real". Acoustic guitar comes in strong. Also in my top 5 songs that I'd have first time listeners check out. "Lawd I stand......against the faceless man". Brian comes in so strong and smooth that I feel it from the top of my head all the way down into my chest. There is a fullness to the music that I can't describe. Having heard this song played live multiple times I understand why it's a fan favorite. People talk about having an "experience" while listening to music and when it moves to "next time I see this face, I'll say I choose to live for always" bring me to tears and I can never quite explain why. This song taps into something deep inside and I don't know why it makes me feel the way I do. 10/10.

7. Never Die - Brian's best bass work on the album and maybe Flip's best drumming. It's got a serious groove. "So let the children play, inside your heart always". I love when Scott goes from full voice into the soft stuff. Strong riff from Mark but not his best. My favorite part is the bridge - "I won't let go of that youthful soul despite body and mind my youth will never die". Mark mirrors the vocals and kicks in with pounding guitar punctuated by "hey, heys!". 8.5/10.

8. With Arms Wide Open - has a slight heartbeat to open. There are a few different versions of this one out there now. The one with strings takes it up a notch. It is much derided as too schmaltzy. As a rock ballad goes I don't think it's terrible. Very heavy bass. Mark has a searing short solo. "If I have just one wish, only one demand, I hope he's not like me". Looking back on that lyric I wonder what Scott feels when he sings it now. I feel like much of the darts thrown at this song are as a result of the music video and posturing. It's a shame because underneath it all is a thoughtful, sweet song. 8/10.

9. Higher - well, I have to give this one it's full due. It made me a huge Creed fan and to this day is still my favorite song to play on guitar. Just an incredibly distinctive intro. When that first riff kicks in it just SOUNDS HUGE! I love Scott's voice on this song - I could sing it over and over again. Brian's bass gives serious warmth. The build-up guitar to the chorus and Mark's lick after "Can you take me higher?!" give me goosebumps. It's such a hopeful song. "Let love replace all our hate". Powerful! It tapped into my feelings that sometimes I don't fit in or belong in this world but there's something/place better. I WANT to feel alive. "Set up high, I'm strong enough to take these dreams and make them mine". For as much criticism as the band took from this song I also experienced the same for my ardent defense. It was the first time I'd ever experienced people putting me down for being a "Creed fan". 10/10.

10. Wash Away Those Years - another solemn Mark guitar intro. There is a sad tone to this. Scott knows how to tell a story in a song. "As she lay lifeless, he stole her innocence". I like the chord progressions in this song - sounds like it could have been on My Own Prison. The lyric "I know this decadence is shared by millions" is thoughtful. Can you imagine a world where there's no pain or suffering? At the 4:00 mark there is a tonal guitar change in the bridge. Scott reaches up high with his voice. 8/10.

11. Inside Us All - Mark's guitar tone on this whole album is nothing short of perfect. The intros to the songs have clear definition. This song sounds a little too much like Wash Away Those Years. It has a tired feeling but hopeful at the same time.

Life can hold you down
When you're not looking up
Can't you hear the sounds?
Hearts beating out loud
Although the names change
Inside we're all the same
Why can't we tear down these walls?
To show the scars we're covering

When Mark starts ripping away on the guitar around 3:10 it feels happier and more energetic. Things fade out gradually. 8/10.

Looking back on this album over 20 years after release is nostalgic. I can remember many things from that chapter - some good/some bad. I wonder if everyone has an album like this that arrived at a pivotal time in their lives. For me Human Clay continues to be listenable and enjoyable even after hearing it hundreds of times. I know every song so well and have serious connections to several of them. There are very few albums like this for me. I don't know if I can add anything else to the Creed/AB discussion that hasn't already been beaten to death. All I know is that I would not be following Alter Bridge today if not for Creed. I am not ashamed to express my appreciation and admiration for both bands and members of each. Human Clay became and remains my #1 album of all time and I don't know if anything will ever top it. I feel fortunate to have seen Creed play it in entirety back in 2012 at The Orpheum in Boston.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Shinedown - Leave A Whisper Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

Back in 2003 I was halfway through my college days in Phoenix, AZ. I'd been discovering a ton of new music on the radio and purchasing CDs with the extra pennies from my job at the art supply store. Shinedown caught my ear with Fly From The Inside off of their album Leave A Whisper. I could not get it out of my head. Several years later it became one of the first songs I learned how to play in full on guitar. Here is the album review.

1. Fly From The Inside - as mentioned in my Human Clay review, I judge album openers based on the following - instant recognition, how they build excitement for the next songs, and how well the music, vocals, and lyrics are balanced. I like the alternating clean guitar and then punchy follow up leading into "It's the weight of the world on my shoulders". The guitar sounds a little dry and the bass is somewhat lacking but the song still has power with the rising musical line before "the key to the next open chapter". Brent Smith gets to unleash his voice on this track and it's effective. I think he was testing his limits and without vocal training there was a certain rawness that unfortunately caused him problems later on. Nevertheless it's a great way to start the album and I still enjoy the song many years later. 9/10.

2. Left Out - it has a cool panning effect behind Brent speaking. The drums and bass start to fill in and you can sense the song is going to explode. At :20 the guitar glides in. You can hear the bass much more clearly. I like this chorus "So how does it feel? To be the one that's always in the way? To be the one who's always left out in the rain?" I can relate to feeling like an outsider. Some slight backing vocals in the second chorus. Has a tribal sort of drumbeat starting at 2:24 combined with dreamy harmonized vocals. Screechy guitar buildup to "need to get eeeeeeeven!". Brent does a great job drawing out his vocal lines for added emphasis. Sustains the energy. Abrupt end. 8.5/10.

3. Lost In The Crowd - this song was written by Brent and Rick Beato (who I've been following on YouTube). After the heaviness on the first two songs it slows things down. Has a nice acoustic opening and rumbling bass line. The drums sound great. Very 70s kind of feel to this. It's a simple, straightforward rock song. It allows Brent to showcase his voice again. "You left in such a hurry, your face is lost in the crowd". A minor guitar solo at the 2:40 mark. 7/10.

4. No More Love - one of my favorite intros on album. Has a fuzzy effect and the guitar line circles round and round. Feels like an offshoot of Fly From The Inside but able to stand on its own. Brent sings in a restrained voice "could you be kind and let me in?" I like the way he says "evah" and "nuthin". The songs kicks in with repeated "There's no more love!" Acoustic transition is a highlight in the latter half. The song starts to get a little stale towards the end. I think they could have capped it around 3:20. 7/10.

5. Better Version - punchy drums and very distinct guitar line intro. The backing guitars sound a little too muddy to me. This is Brent's sweet spot vocally. Sounds very natural and he's not straining to hit notes until "won't be someone else". You can tell that he needs extra effects to make his voice sound fuller in the chorus. I wonder what order the songs on this album were recorded because there are times when he sounds great and others where it seems like he's struggling. This song has one other big problem though. The guitar, bass, and drums take a backseat and sound too much like songs we've already heard. 6.5/10.

6. Burning Bright - a slowed down, acoustic, southern rock flavored song. The bass rumbles nicely. Brent sounds like he's half asleep and it gives a nice tone to his voice. He's got some major help in the chorus as far as effects go. The song sounds nice. I enjoy singing along to it but it's a strain for me to hit the high notes without using falsetto so no wonder he's had a hard time over the years with it trying to sing in his full voice. The bridge is lyrically one of the best on the album, "There's nothing ever wrong, but nothing's ever right, such a cruel contradiction". 8/10.

7. In Memory - another Rick Beato song. I get this one and No More Love mixed up sometimes. The guitars come in full blast. I think Barry's drums sound great here. "I can't wait for you to catch up with meeeeeeeeeee". Suffers from the same issue as previously mentioned - it sounds too much like the other songs. The bridge saves it - it sounds really good even if the guitars get lost a little. This is another song that would be okay if it was about 30 seconds shorter. 7/10.

8. All I Ever Wanted - a tick-tocky drum line and repeated guitar line that sounds like it has Zeppelin style effects put on it. Probably my least favorite chorus on the album. The drums have progressively become more pronounced in the album. This song has Brent drawing out his vocal lines again "I belieeeeeeeve I'm looooooosing my neeeeeeeeeeerve". He's trying to do his utmost to elevate the song but it doesn't quite work. At 3:00 he's stretching his voice to its absolute limit. These are the kind of songs that can ruin a lead singer's career if not managed properly. 6/10.

9. Stranger Inside - my favorite on the album. They absolutely nailed this one. I love the droning guitar effect and the riff sounds super heavy. The bass is super noticeable. "This day could be the worst one yet. I just won't relax I can't catch my breath". I can connect strongly with the lyrics. I think it's the best chorus they've ever written - "have you ever stepped out of the light and realized there's a stranger inside?". You can hear each instrument so clearly on this song - super production. The end with "Stranger Inside!" is powerful. It's a song about evaluating yourself and not liking what you see. What are you going to do about it? 10/10.

10. Lacerated - perhaps my least favorite song on the album. More tribal type drumming and the guitar has a weird sound to it. Doubled vocals that don't sound right. I think it was an experiment to try and vary the sound a little but it quickly loses it and sounds too much like other songs. I don't like the lyrics or Brent's vocals very much. 4/10.

11. Crying Out - has a nice driving guitar sound to it. I like that it has sharpness. "Reinvent yourself today, reinvent your world today". They put heavy effects on Brent's voice in this song. "Madness you carry" sounds almost fake/overcorrected. It's a solid song though. 8/10.

12. 45 - I have mixed feelings about this one. Depressing subject matter. I think the vocals, guitars, and drums sound good. It can get a little too drudgy. "Whatever happened to the young man's heart? Swallowed by pain as he slowly fell apart". I think they did this sort of song better than others like Seether. 7/10.

Leave A Whisper was a great introduction to the world for Shinedown. I give the album an 8/10 based on Fly From The Inside and Stranger Inside alone. I became a fan and followed the band for many years alongside Alter Bridge. Sadly, after Us & Them and The Sound Of Madness they lost me. Amaryllis was the first album of theirs that I gave away after owning for a few weeks. I think they would have been even more successful than they are if they had stayed in the southern rock lane. They made some changes for the better with Zach Myers and Eric Bass joining the band but veered off into more pop-rock type stuff to attract a bigger audience and gain radio airplay. I'm thankful Alter Bridge has not done this.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

In light of me buying a hockey jersey that had the Leave A Whisper album cover on front, I opted to relisten to that album recently. It makes me go, "What happen to these guys? They used to be unapologetically raw in their sound and had a chip on their shoulder when it comes to the energy of these songs."

Nowadays, their sound seems way too "polished." Granted, I did like Planet Zero, and I understand if you have a chance to become a big-time mainstay band in mainstream rock for years to come and you consider making the adjustments to get there, you take your chances, but look at where them and AB started and look at where both bands are now with their sounds.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

anguyen92 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:34 pm Nowadays, their sound seems way too "polished." Granted, I did like Planet Zero, and I understand if you have a chance to become a big-time mainstay band in mainstream rock for years to come and you consider making the adjustments to get there, you take your chances, but look at where them and AB started and look at where both bands are now with their sounds.
That's exactly what I'm talking about in change of sound. The rawness and heaviness went away and was replaced by overproduced pop-rock with mundane lyrics. Sad, especially with such talented band members.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Amazing work in this thread, Schulzy. I especially liked your review of Spirits, as that's one of my top 10 albums this year. It has been a bit more disjointed than The Stories We Tell Ourselves which I love, love, LOVE. There isn't anything less than an 8 on that album, whereas this one has more ups and downs, and isn't as naturally catchy, especially with how complicated NoMo sounds can sound. But it's really grown on me since its release and has a several all time great songs for them.

I'll add some reviews of my favorite 2022 albums here over the next few days.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

gbruin wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:11 pm Amazing work in this thread, Schulzy. I especially liked your review of Spirits, as that's one of my top 10 albums this year. It has been a bit more disjointed than The Stories We Tell Ourselves which I love, love, LOVE. There isn't anything less than an 8 on that album, whereas this one has more ups and downs, and isn't as naturally catchy, especially with how complicated NoMo sounds can sound. But it's really grown on me since its release and has a several all time great songs for them.

I'll add some reviews of my favorite 2022 albums here over the next few days.
Thanks. Music is an escape for me and I love listening to albums over and over again. Occasionally I will hear something new on headphones or lyrics will hit me differently. I enjoy writing my thoughts down and it's a fun exercise to do while listening to some of my favorite and newer albums. Nothing More has a ton of complexity to their songs and really stand out from the crowd for me. I look forward to reading your reviews.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Nine Lashes - World We View Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

I listen to a ton of Christian Rock/Hard Rock/Metal/Metalcore. Back in 2012 I was looking for bands similar to Alter Bridge. Nine Lashes kept popping up so I thought I would give them a try. Their second album - World We View - became a favorite of mine. Here is the review.

1. Anthem Of The Lonely - the big hit on this album with good reason. Pounding and pulsing. The Jefferson brothers' guitar work is excellent here with clear lead tone and grungy chugging intertwined. If anything the drums are pushed too far back in the mix but that's okay. The lead singer - Jeremy Dunn - has a very unique vocal tone. He can hit the really high stuff with falsetto - 3:15 is absolutely beautiful. The chorus of the song is very catchy. Check out the music video. 9/10.

2. The Intervention - tops AOTL in my book. "Wake up to the dreams we have made". The bridge of this is super good. Love the zoomy guitar. A song about what happens when you compromise yourself and take even small steps in the wrong direction - there's a good chance you will sacrifice your sanity. Don't lose yourself and come back to what really matters. 9.5/10.

I saw them live in a very small church north of Albany NY back in the fall of 2012. They played their hearts out for a crowd of maybe 20-30 people. Here's my video on my old YouTube channel.

3. Get Back - starts out with a bunch of repeated - Woah-oh-oh-ohs! Great bass tone here. Good balance of all instruments. Jeremy's voice sounds excellent - nice grit matched with his clean singing. His vocal punch on the second "Get BACK!" has nice heft to it. Some nice subdued piano pops up here and there. Ending of the song changes up to almost club-dance. A fun song that certainly stands out on the album. 8/10.

4. Afterglow - slows things down. An acoustic/reverby type thing going on isolated electric. The singing is beautiful "right in front of me, you disappeared". This feels like a Thousand Foot Krutch song (they had help writing this album from Trevor Mcnevan). Strings and piano come in strong. A sad song about losing someone close but holding on to hope that you will see them again with the promise of heaven. 8/10.

5. Adrenaline - Trevor Mcnevan shows up here. It's TFK lite but they do it really well. A concert song "how many people want to get this started?" Nice chants - "HEY YOU!". Good bass near the end. Great mix of Jeremy "you've come so far" and Trevor "step up if you want to feel this music, adrenaline phenomenon let's use it". 8/10.

6. Believe Your Eyes - guitar sounds like slow tapping. Gives a dreamy feel to the intro. I don't connect with the lyrics - "a stranger to me, you won't believe your eyes". Not sure what he's trying to say. Quivering strings near the end. Spacy. Nine Lashes do an excellent job of making each song stand out from before and after. 7/10.

7. Our Darkest Day - it's awesome. Loads up with piano before the snarly guitars come in combined with programmed beat. You can hear the bass very clearly and it has great groove. "So I'll wake up screaming to lift you out". There's a very strong metal scream (courtesy of Ryan Clark from Demon Hunter) backing the clean vocals. I really connect with songs about struggle (even in a broad sense). I've said that I felt the grind of every day for many years. Life was just hard and I was tired. This song hits on all levels - vocals, lyrics, and music. The guitar work is off the charts - thick, crunchy, and so well defined. The bridge just takes it up one more notch. "Through the darkest days I will scream your name aloud!". I've cried out to God many times when I felt like I just can't keep going on. 10/10!

8. Memo - the drums are very clear. The theme of dreams shows up again. They use it well throughout this album. What do you dream about? Good/Bad? Do you pursue the good? Do your dreams motivate you? Gorgeous piano work in the bridge. That's one thing I wonder if Alter Bridge would ever consider using more of. I think when used correctly it adds quite a bit to a good rock song. 8/10.

9. Write It Down - back to the 80s! Very synthy to open. Then the guitars come in strong. I like how the verses are slower and then the chorus picks up the pace - double time. "If only the deaf would hear!" Trying to make people listen to what you have to say. Sometimes we can all be hard headed and refuse to hear good advice or make use of it. 8.5/10.

10. The Void - this song builds nicely into the chorus. Well placed "whoas" backed by a snappy guitar line. "So please just say where do you go?"........"tonight the sky is burning bright for me". A song about redemption - seeking things that will never satisfy - they leave a void. 9/10.

11. My Friend - Jeremy on acoustic and man does it sound good. "Say what you want to me my friend". Almost begging somebody that's hurting to open up after stumbling. Do you have a close friend you can talk to about anything? Even when you might not want to for fear of embarrassment or judgement? Light strings to close out the song. 8/10.

I highly recommend World We View. Every song has its own unique identity. Having listened to the album again while writing this review I'm reminded of how much I like it. It may eventually creep into my top 10 albums of all time. Vocally very strong and the guitars are a joy to listen to. If you are looking for an album that might surprise you with some AB vibes then I'd suggest checking this out. You won't hear songs like Cry of Achilles or Pawns & Kings, just good solid hard rock a la Metalingus. No guitar solos required. 8.5/10.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

When I moved to Westfield, Massachusetts in February 2006 I had no idea that a big metalcore band had started there. I first heard Killswitch Engage when I went shopping for a kitchen table and chairs set for my apartment right next door to Performance Music where Joel Stroetzel used to teach guitar lessons. The guy who delivered the set (which I still own) was listening to Killswitch and All That Remains in his truck while we drove back to my place. I asked who they were and we talked about music for a while. As Daylight Dies had just come out and I think it is still their best album. I listened to Alive or Just Breathing and The End of Heartache after the ADD introduction to Howard Jones.

1. Daylight Dies - man, this song builds up riding the singular guitar note. "Slowly we watch...." Spoken intro. "This place is EVIL!" Followed by repeated tasty guitar line. Howard is bellowing/screaming/growling. When the chorus comes in my eyes just pop open. "Contest the liiiiiiiiiies!" The galloping guitars give way to bum-bum-BA-ba-ba-ba. This song has several tempo changes where it speeds up and then slows down again. "No more BROKEN promises!" Howards screams are hair-raising followed by his operatic vocal moments. I love it as the songs winds down with double kick drums. What an intro! 9/10.

2. This is Absolution - how do you follow up a great album opener? Like this. I love when Howard goes "Are YOU READY?" The guitar riffing on this song is insane. Speed metal that gives way to sludgy/fuzzy goodness. Again, they change up the pace with clean tone "We will not DIE this way!" Adam Dutkiewicz (who is an absolute nut) has his background moments - "Do not grieve, end the suffering". It sounds absolutely massive and the groove is insane. I love the bridge "Don't let the world deceive YOU. Don't let their words betray YOU!" Howard is off the charts with his singing. I sang along with this as loud as possible in my car for months. 10/10.

3. The Arms of Sorrow - a softer opening for them for the first 15 seconds. This has a different sort of feel (time signature). When the pre-chorus kicks in it does so in a full, rich way - "running, always running, into the distance". Adam sings "deeper, I'm falling" while Howard follows with "into the arms of sorrow". The song has a brutal beauty to it. The guitar scale work in the third quarter is a highlight. The final stretch switches into that driving rock sound that I like with a sudden ending. Great contrast to the first two songs but it falls slightly behind. 8.5/10.

4. Unbroken - this comes shooting out of the gates with relentless drumming. Then we get the mega chugging. I think they had about 5 Red Bulls each before recording this. It's aggressive. I like the chorus "Through ADVERSITY there is redemption. With passion, fighting, I am UNBROKEN". Powerful! I would also use that word to describe Howard's voice. Another tempo change around 2:40. "I will not be denied" with COWBELL! It ends with heavy riffing. 8.5/10.

5. My Curse - I was not prepared for this song after liking the first four so much. WOW! Might be my favorite song from the band. The clean opening is incredible. Back to the bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum guitar. The opening riff and scream combined with nasty pinch harmonics is SO GOOD! "I watched you walk away. Hopeless with nothing to SAY!" The way the guitars punctuate "THIS IS MY CURSE" is the epitome of metalcore excellence. Then, Howard goes bananas with "There is LOOOOOOOOVE, burning to find you. Will YOU wait for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?" I can just imagine him in the recording studio with single arm raised in the power pose. The drumming on this from Justin Foley is phenomenal. The song drops out and then resumes with "to SEE YOU AGAIN!" As we near the end you can also hear Mike D'Antonio's bass very clearly - deep and thundering. An absolute monster of a song. 20/10!

6. For You - messes with your head with the sharp, stabbing guitars. This one makes me a little crazy. Machine gun drumming - "No more wasted days." "This is immortal". Key change? They really like to change the feel of each song - the bridge is the best part. "your words, are my inspiration". It has that warm feeling for just a moment or two and then back to the low neck riff-fest. It's just okay compared to the previous five songs - 7/10.

7. Still Beats Your Name - more frantic speed metal with mega drum roll. I can't keep up with the harsh lyric verses. "Let this BURDEN drift away". My legs hurt just imagining trying to drum with this song. "Drowning once again, will I live another day, to reach the surface, let this burden drift away". This song flies by. 6.5/10.

8. Eye of The Storm - punchy, punchy, guitars. This riff is sick. I like how Howard comes in early with cleans "After all this time, I stand by you, through all of the years, I've been with YOU!" This is a song about sticking by somebody through ups and downs, for better or for worse. "Through the eye of the storm, you are NEVER alone!" I LOVE the lyrics of this song. Goes into tribal feel around 2:10. The guitar tone is razor sharp. They mix in the little doodly-dos at the end of the riff. Goes into breakdown mode for the slow headbang, "TOGETHER WE STAND! NEVER FALL! NO MATTER THE TRIAL......WE WILL OVERCOME!" 9/10.

9. Break The Silence - the climbing guitar riff is catchy. This is concert worthy spin your head around in circles metal. Lyrically bemoans the world we live in and how we must stand up/speak up and take action and correct the course. It starts with each of us taking responsibility. "With all that I am, I will LIFT MY VOICE, to start this revolution!". "It starts WITH ME!" and then slows down with repeated "break the silence, we are alive". 7/10.

10. Desperate Times - sludgy start with zoomy guitar dive bomb. Moves along at a sluggish pace. The guitars drone through the chorus. Bass is pronounced and the guitar chords are left to linger. The aggression picks up around 2:30 with more pinch harmonics. Probably the most quiet moments on the album from 2:50-3:40. Howard growls "In these desperate times, this I PLEAD, when all else fails, REMEMBER ME!". I feel like it's the weakest song on this album. 5/10.

11. Reject Yourself - livens things back up again. They like the bum-ba-bum-bum guitars and then quick change to racing riffage. There are some nice vocal grunts and then rising "whoooOOOOAAAAA". I find it hard to discern the lyrics as the guitars are almost too loud. Adam sounds a little tired in the chorus "tear down the veil that bars your heart from feeling this". Thankfully Howard comes in strong with "With open arms, EMBRACE THIS HEART. With open eyes BEHOLD THE TRUTH!" They do a good job with songs like this that have a call to action. Goes acoustic at 2:35 leading into a throat ripping scream and thundering drums. "Can you REJECT YOURSELF? Can you feel the AGONY? Ends with "Heal the BROKEN HEARTED. Instrumental for over a full minute to end the album. 7/10.

The front side of this album is nothing short of incredible. The back half has several so-so moments with the strongest song being Eye of The Storm. The technicality of Killswitch's guitarists and drummer is impressive. Howard Jones' voice elevates many of the songs into the stratosphere and beyond. They set a very high bar in the metalcore genre. Bands like August Burns Red have tried to reach those heights with dizzying acrobatics but lyrically and vocally they fall short. No disrespect to Jesse Leach but I feel like Killswitch reached their absolute pinnacle on As Daylight Dies with Howard after the excellence of the previous two albums. I give it 8/10.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

My favorite album of 2022 was Queensrÿche - Digital Noise Alliance.

Some history and a couple quick thoughts before my review. QR as a band began in the early 80s and established a reputation as one of metal's preeminent sounds in an era when Maiden and Priest and Scorps defined the genre, based around the soaring twin guitar attack of Michael Wilton and Chris DeGarmo, creatively heavy rhythm by bassist Eddie Jackson and drummer Scott Rockenfield, and intellectually challenging lyrical content sung by the incredible voice of Geoff Tate. The band reached their peak success in the late 80s with the seminal Operation: Mindcrime followed by the more commercially successful Empire. As the band evolved and grunge took over in the 90's QR's popularity faded and the music become tamer, more forced, and less interesting, fueled initially by the departure of DeGarmo and the growing dominance of Tate as the primary writer and influence on their sound. A decade plus of relative mediocrity (by their lofty standards) was followed by major personal and physical conflicts that led to the band ousting Tate in a nasty public legal battle in 2012. The three remaining original members retained the rights to the name Queensrÿche and went forward with a prior DeGarmo replacement on guitar and a new vocalist Todd LaTorre from Crimson Glory, who immediately proved he could replicate the classic vocal styles of Tate and who added his own imprint on the songwriting going forward. As often happens with a new singer (see: Van Halen, Journey, Skid Row, etc, etc) there was plenty of division within the fanbase regarding the new lineup and its legitimacy. It's a stupid argument and it's sad that so many long time fans refuse to get past a purely subjective bias. This is now the band's 4th album with LaTorre on the mic. Each album has been progressively better, but this one sits comfortably next to Rage For Order and Empire as one of QR's greatest albums in their career.

1. In Extremis - The album opener begins with Michael Wilton's classic guitar tone and a driving uptempo drum beat that has its roots in the bands' early heavy metal sound but is tempered by the flowing melody typical of QR songs. LaTorre's soaring vocals are clear as a bell and the lyrics offer a nod to the late great Ronnie James Dio. Some tempo changes keep the flow interesting and Wilton's solo culminates with the band's famous twin lead sound before diving backing into the driving verse and the big chorus. A perfect opener to highlight QR's classic sound while offering something modern at the same time. 9/10

2. Chapters - This song has more of the groovy rhythm sound characteristic of bassist Eddie Jackson penned songs and fits well with the Empire/Promised Land era of QR. The chorus lyrics "A rhythm of time, a heavy load drifts away like a traveling show..." speaks to our passage through the chapters of life. 8/10

3. Lost In Sorrow - Track 3 harkens right back to the QR twin lead sound on top of a pounding metallic bass line and offers a more pensive and somber tone for the lyrics that reflect on the recognition of a deteriorating relationship between friends. A very poignant combo of music and lyrics. 8/10

4. Sicdeth - Apropos for its title, this song begins in an almost thrash motif reminiscent of QR's earliest work, but slows to a moody breakdown in the middle before revving back up for the final verse and chorus. The early classic Queen Of The Ryche would be very proud of this modern descendant. 9/10

5. Behind The Walls - For a band with so many great songs, it's rare to hear something new and label it a classic on one listen. When this song was released a s the 3rd single, it became that exception. At just over 6 minutes, this song opens with an eerie-toned intro and adds the classic twin leads, soaring powerful vocals, biting lyrics, a crushing rhythm, and alternating verse/chorus tempo changes - everything that essentially defines QR style. It closes with an almost Maiden-esque gallop and overlying twin solo that would stand on its own as a great composition. Drummer Casey Grillo (formerly of Kamelot) really shines on this one. This is one of the band's all time epics that rivals their greatest songs. 10+/10

6. Nocturnal Light - Another Jackson industrial sounding track with a somewhat deliberate plodding rhythm and a more atmospheric solo that suits its lyrical content discussing one's relevance and role within a callous and overwhelming society. 7/10.

7. Out Of The Black - LaTorre, Wilton, and Jackson combine on this to create just a great jam that is almost apologetically catchy while still sounding typically QR. This would have fit perfectly on the back end of Mindcrime next to Eyes Of A Stranger or anywhere on the Empire album. My favorite on Digital Noise Alliance. 10/10

8. Forest - This lovely flowing soothing piece reflects on pain and beauty of the memories of those who have gone before us and sounds a lot like a Pink Floyd composition. Interestingly, Grillo contributed to the writing on this one. 8/10

9. Realms - After the ballad, Jackson takes the band back in to the classic QR guitar sound, pounding bass, and soaring vocals as the song asks how one will face their own decline and failures. "You've become the depths of your remains" 8/10

10. Hold On - A typical QR open with a whining riff over heavy power chords and then a pounding drum rhythm to set a heavy tone that breaks into a moody flowing verse that builds in tempo and tone into a big arena sounding chorus. It's a great composition that shows off QR's master ability to flow up and down throughout a song. LaTorre is such an amazing vocalist that it's easy to take his performance for granted. He is particularly outstanding on this song. 9/10

11. Tormentum - The album closes with a 7 1/2 minute monster that opens with a force that harkens back to the early EP/Warning era with its full on metal sound that could be taken for Judas Priest. The piece varies in tone and tempo throughout and is the proggiest track on the album. Amazing song writing and amazing musicianship, and really the perfect closer to this magnificently diverse yet quintessentially Queensrÿche album. 10/10

12. Rebel Yell - Yes, the band adds a bonus cover of the Billy Idol hit. It is an odd addition, but it's a guilty pleasure for them, and they perform it well. No worries. Not rated.

Digital Noise Alliance is a perfect title for this latest Queensrÿche release, as the band's DNA is really on full display. This is a perfect representation and growth from the broad spectrum of the band's 40 year history, beginning with its pure metal EP to its more experimental and prog/rangy early albums Warning and Rage For Order to their tighter and more commercial efforts in Empire and Promised Land. While I often compare the songs on DNA to various places in the band's catalog, this album still sounds unique and modern. DNA is not just a rehash of prior eras and thus it shows the continued renaissance that began when LaTorre came on board and both revitalized the old hits (the band now performs their entire catalog in the original tunings) while helping inspire some incredible new additions. The previous two albums, Condition Hüman and The Verdict, almost broke into the hallowed ground that was the band's first 4 albums and made me so grateful to have the classic QR sound back. They left me anxious for more, but the heights that this album reached exceeded my expectations. There is no need to argue Tate versus LaTorre. Tate was amazing in his day. Todd is amazing now. But this is not about a singer. It's about a band, and DNA is Queensrÿche at its very best. Operation: Mindcrime is my favorite album of all time and I don't think anything will touch it, but Digital Noise Alliance is sitting just below it, and right alongside The Warning and Rage For Order. And that is really saying something.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Sevendust - Home Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

I can't recall the first time I heard of Sevendust. I vaguely knew of them based on their relationship to Creed and Mark Tremonti. My first introduction to them was seeing them play after Alter Bridge at the Webster in Hartford, CT. Being on the rail I think my ribs are still bruised all these years later. The first album I listened to was Seasons but Home stands out amongst all the others. Here is my review.

1. Home - stuttering, fuzz laden guitars that give way to ridiculously low muddy chugs from John, Clint, and Vinnie. Lajon's voice is unique in the realm of metal/hard rock vocalists for me. He has just enough soul combined with grit/rasp. Clint's harmonies give way to group chanted - "I'm HOME leave it to me!" Morgan's hybrid spoken/shouted lyrics chase the chorus. A very faint guitar line before the second "From Left to Right". They create a dissonant whiny sound that has cutting edge. This song employs all of the elements that would come to define the band and as a result they still play it as a live staple. 8.5/10.

2. Denial - they do a great job creating the volume increasing intro that pulses into that heavy thick repeated riffing. Morgan has quick bursts almost interrupting Lajon's singing. One of their most melodious choruses. Everything has an almost muted feel to it. They change the pace slightly and the guitars fade out to let Morgan's drumming take center stage. Suddenly the guitars wind back in before the chorus kicks in again. The band does not shy away from repeating choruses several times for emphasis. Fades out with random guitar lines. 8.5/10.

3. Headtrip - the opening guitar line creates that unsettled feeling again and Morgan's drumming drives the song. Some serious whooshing noises thrown in to add to the audible chaos. The guitar line rides behind the chorus but is punctuated by "NEVER FORGET THE PAIN!". They alternate vocalists well in this song with Lajon, Clint, Morgan, and I think even John all chiming in. The "Creates" followed by mumbled lines hammer into your head. 8/10.

4. Insecure - a musical break with that fuzzy guitar and synthesized airy/spacey feel that glides into....

5. Reconnect - that dun-na-na-na guitar line with pronounced bass line is infectious. "Save ME, Forgive ME, Confuse ME!" The changeup comes and hits you upside the head. "Another day I feel further from myself". Lajon is shouting the second half of this song and it sounds incredibly good. He knows how to craft feeling with his voice - shifting between the crooning and angry yelling. "Save ME!". 8.5/10.

6. Waffle - this is where everything comes together for the band. It feels like every song prior to this one has been designed to test the elements that make Waffle one of the top songs in Sevendust's collection. The eery detuned guitar line that repeats with thundering bass note thrown in to rumble your head. Angry, pounding drumming from Morgan coupled with that chug-cha-chugga-chug. Lajon's singing tone is perfect here, "A universe to fill". "It's like I'm real tired of the clones". The "Whatever you say, whatever you SAY!" creates texture. Powerful chorus "Bring me a LIGHT, make my LIFE worth something more!". I can imagine Lajon almost eating the microphone when he's digging into each line. The stutter-stop feel is what they do best and it gives the music that extra punchy percussive feel like the guitars are an extension of the drums. 9.5/10.

7. Rumble Fish aka Assdrop - as good as Waffle is I think this may be even better. The crunchy dugga-da-dugga-da-dugga-da that is followed by a winding line furthers what we've already heard. Lajon's voice takes on a frustrated/fed up tone "Again I try and change my ways!" Morgan's drumming is pounding throughout. The flow of the lyrics employs elements of rap-style delivery. "Was it ever sacred?" This song played live gets the crowd going with the "FEEL IT, LET IT GO, I KNOW!" Morgan delivers his lines with appropriate disgust. The thick, pulsing vibe of this song really gets stuck in your head. Whispered "Get up, get up, get up!" Fantastic song - 10/10.

8. Licking Creme - more pure singing with Skin having a feature. It's not one of my favorite songs. Guest vocalists tend to break the flow of albums for me and this is no exception. I often will skip this one. 3.5/10.

9. Grasp - another instrumental - sort of dreamy opening. This is where I'm not crazy about Lajon's singing. He draws out his lines - "Dreeeeeeeeeeaming". The tik-a-tik drum sound starts to give me a headache. This sounds like it's half asleep but I guess that's the point. 4/10.

10. Crumbled - has that heavy low end that feels like Rumble Fish and Home combined. Group chant "Wipe my face, get up again!". Lajon has some nice vocal moments where he adds power to the word "Crumble". There's a programmed beat towards the back end but it does little to elevate this song. The chorus is repeated ad nauseum. 5/10.

11. Feel So - slows down slightly. Lajon is digging into the lyrics again. I like the guitar line pre-chorus with accented wah. The time signature gives the song a different feel. Morgan blurts "What did YOU saaaay?" They change up the end with a different bass driven bridge. Bum-bum-BA-bum-bum. Ends quickly. 5/10.

12. Grasshopper - pointless. Why do bands do this?

13. Bender - featuring Chino Moreno from Deftones and Troy McLawhorn. Drum driven with nice contrasting guitars. Chino comes in with sluggish vocals and then Morgan bursts in "Step on my disease!" The chorus blend of Chino and Lajon is nice. The bass is super pronounced before the second verse. It has a feeling like the band is playing at one speed and Chino is singing at half-speed. An interesting feel. They do several instrumental changeups. As I've already stated I don't particularly like guest vocalists but this one works okay to close out the album. 6/10.

While some may argue that Sevendust has better albums I still believe the sheer excellence of Waffle and Rumble Fish put Home in the top position. I would be incredibly disappointed if they did not play those two songs at every concert. When I saw them with Tremonti recently they made a point of playing several songs from this album even though they have a massive catalog. That proves the staying power to me. Still, this is a classic case where the front end is significantly stronger than the back end. Final score - 7/10.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Disciple - Horseshoes & Handgrenades Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

I was going through a difficult time in my life back in 2010. I had achieved great success in my job but the growing pressures and responsibilities were taking a toll. I found myself questioning my purpose and wondering if I'd wasted my 20s working non-stop. Once again I discovered a band specifically through a song - Invisible - that was being played on the local Christian radio station. Disciple has gone through many lineup changes over the years but I feel that this album was where they achieved their most distinct sound with Andrew Welch and Micah Sannan on guitars. Kevin Young has remained the leader throughout the evolution of the band. I felt fortunate to finally see them play live earlier this year with Relentless Flood in small-town Perry, Iowa. Here is my review of Horseshoes & Handgrenades.

1. Dear X (You Don't Own Me) - Opens with strings and Kevin singing about pain and shame. The chorus is incredibly powerful "Go ahead, you're never gonna take me. You're never gonna break me. I was yours, I'm not yours anymore. You don't own me!" All of the things that seek control of our lives ultimately can't win in the face of amazing grace. I love the line "you tempted me to look back. Everything we had together was a lie". We all have struggles and things that weigh us down or keep us from reaching our full potential. This song is about taking that stand and choosing to fight back. 9/10.

2. Watch It Burn - the drum roll into juicy, rich guitars and bass is fantastic. Kevin has the perfect amount of grit to his voice. "Incinerate THIS!" The guitar line that accents "Set if off" is excellent. The southern rock groove is even more pronounced on the second verse. "Intoxicated, drinking all your poison". This theme of burning everything down and starting over is prevalent in hard rock but I especially like Disciple's take on this. There is a tasty solo I believe from Brad Noah (who was the lead guitar player on my second favorite album from them - Scars Remain). The song sounds great with depth, warmth, and heavy richness. 9/10.

3. Invisible - ringing high pitched note that gives way to punchy drumming. "You've got my attention, there's no need to hurt yourself this way". "You feel stuck on the outside, wishing this life wasn't your life". The lyrics felt like they were speaking directly to me. I had wondered if I mattered or the loneliness I felt was ever going to end. "Cause nothing you have done could change how much I love you". It went straight to my heart and gave me hope. "You're NOT INVISIBLE!" has such power and the guitars just drive that feeling into your body. Kevin's delivery is a statement. He does this so well with appropriate emphasis and compassion in his voice. The final instrumental part of the song with building drums, and bass coupled with light strings is beautiful. It fades delicately. 10/10.

4. The Ballad of St. Augustine - phenomenal drumming intro. Marching, military sort of feel that evokes the battle theme. The guitars thunder in with driving chugs and then hanging power chords. I love the back and forth that Kevin does in the verses. The chorus is melodic and catchy. "Welcome back my innocence, how I have so longed to see your face again!". The dropout where Kevin is singing over lightly strummed guitars is well done. The drums build again to strings "Innocence REBORN!". The guitars pan left and right with bass in the center to a light ting on the drums before the chorus comes back for the final time. Kevin holds out "Goooooooodbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye" with force! 10/10.

5. Shot Heard Round the World - "with my bloody fist raised to the sky!" Disciple likes to summon the fight element. This song is a call to action. Great drumming and that roundabout guitar feel. Kevin screams - "round the woooooooooooooooooooorld". 8/10.

6. Collision - slows down the album. Kevin sounds great with the alternating - "lean forward, I'm bracing for collision" at a different speed from the straight ahead verses. There's that enveloping fullness when the chorus comes in. The sound that they captured on this album is wide and feels like it's wrapped all the way around your head. 8/10.

7. Battle Lines - kicks in immediately with frantic drumming and ripping guitar riff that changes keys. "Just a taste and your eyes will be opened". Quite possibly my favorite guitar line on the album. The chanted chorus is fantastic "We won't! (lay our weapons down). We won't! (be swayed so easily)". The kick drum and bass have extra presence here. Kevin continues to draw out lines "nothin' left to deciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!" The song moves along at a breakneck pace. It's another favorite of mine. 10/10.

8. Remedy - comes in on acoustic guitar with plucked - harpy sounding strings. The guitars have that massive sound. The chorus is one of their absolute best "Oh, I've gotta let go this illusion, this is the end of me, you are my remedy". They accent it with strings the second time around and it sounds even bigger. When you get so fed up with the emptiness of life, where do you go? Where do you seek relief? "Where you stop is where you start again". 9/10.

9. Eternity - the hits just keep on coming. I love the guitar/drum intro. "All that is behind me, this mess of life". The chorus is breathtaking "Where the desert is covered in roses, where I can outshine the stars in a single day. The face of God isn't hidden when I wake into eternity". Another song that taps deep into my soul. When I grow tired and discouraged I listen to this one and hold onto the truth that there's more than this life. All the sorrow and disappointment will give way to the wonder of eternity. 10/10.

10. Revolution: Now - the guitars and drums sound so big. Kevin's voice is echoed/harmonized. "The minds are awakening!". A bass drop before the chorus. The way that the chords are held in this song is wonderful. The key changes give that rise/fall feeling. A drop out with that ringing ear noise into the bridge. Kevin does it again with the screamed "It's coming noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!". I don't get tired of it. I've seldom heard other singers do this with such consistency and it's very effective in getting the message of the songs across. 8.5/10.

11. Deafening - another of those roundabout riffs. The bass propels this song. Kevin loses alot of the grit in his voice for the verses. "Every time I run away, I hear your voice inside of me......it's deafening". What draws you back onto the right path? Do you believe that there's a God who loves you and cares for you as nobody else can? Sometimes I lose sight of that or forget the truth. It's easy to fall into despair. I need songs like this to dig back out and keep trying/living. "You're never too far away.....it's NEVER too late!". I close my eyes and breath deeply while listening to this. Repeating the message to myself. 8.5/10.

12. Worth the Pain - piano to lead into that monster guitar sound. Verses quiet down. Strings come in before the chorus. Very soft piano "It's worth the pain". Repeated over and over. A swinging feel. "Hold on tonight". Disciple does a wonderful job of providing encouragement in their songs. I sense that they have felt all of the emotions that they then try to give life to in the lyrics and vocals. "It's not too late to start again". 8.5/10.

I take a deep breath after listening to this album even now - 12 years after release. It's one of those rare albums that I can listen to all the way through, every time, and not get tired of it. A massive achievement for the band and while I've owned/listened to everything else they've released this one stands head and shoulders above them. The sound, the lyrics, and most importantly the MESSAGE of each song made me not only feel something but question myself and how I was living my life. Powerful in every sense of the word. I encourage anyone who is struggling or seeking answers to the most important questions of their lives to listen to this album. It is in my top 10 albums of all time with a well earned 9/10.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Chevelle - Wonder What's Next Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

Over the last few years I've stated to family and close friends that, "I wonder where we will be at this time next year". With that in mind, I decided to revisit one of my favorite albums from the college days. Chevelle's Wonder What's Next. There has been much written about the band's Christian background along with their family dysfunction. All that aside, their second album came out in a transitional time period - about a year after 9/11. I look back and the album title is exactly what I thought for a long time after that historic, tragic moment in the lives of so many. On to the review.

1. Family System - a moaning sound over lightly picked guitar. The guitar riff loops over and over again. Pete's singing has a slightly sad tone to it - some would also describe it as monotonous where he doesn't shift notes. The moments where he growls "Grow UP!" perk the ears. The dynamic of soft to loud is very well done. There is a fuzzy, muted heaviness that lingers throughout the album. A good tone setter for what comes after. 8/10.

2. Comfortable Liar - drumming and a creaking guitar sound. The guitar riff again repeats but hammers itself into your brain. I really like the drumming on this song - sounds like it's being played in a wide open room. I like Pete's phrasing "mmmmmmmmy take from you....is simple". His guitar playing speeds up and switches to duh-na-na-na before slowing back down to "you're such a comfortable liar" which is repeated several times. They do this lyrically and musically with great effect. You can hear the bass briefly before "cause I said WRONG!". The drumming and guitar ride on the same beat at the end. Well done. 9/10.

3. Send the Pain Below - my favorite on the album. Opens with a breath. The riff sliding up and down riff is fun to play on guitar. They let the chords ring out for quite a while. Pete sings softly over lightly strummed guitar for the verses. You can distinctly hear Joe's bass rumble and Sam's drumming. The buildup of each verse to "much like suffocating!" is fun. The end "I can't feel my chest" combined with quick picked single note is a nice change up. I thought they did a fantastic job with the snowboarding/performance music video. 10/10.

4. Closure - a different sound with sharp guitar stabs behind Pete's singing. He can go from soft and sweet to loud and angry very quickly. This song keeps the quiet feeling for a while. He extends his "meeeeeeeeee, myself". It kicks in around 1:36. His distortion and fuzz make it sound quite thick for being a one electric guitar band. Pete can veer into the sad/crying tone in his singing. The very end goes riff heavy with the bass getting pushed up in volume. 7/10.

5. The Red - this was the big song from the album and was played relentlessly on rock radio in Phoenix, AZ. The guitar alternates between a few notes before the sluggish chorus "so lay down, the threat is real". I feel like the song gets overly repetitive. While I like the overall sound it is certainly not my top song on the album. The harmonizing from Joe on the chorus gives it some variation but it never seems to really go anywhere. The screamed "seeing RED again" over and over again at the end wears thin. 6/10.

6. Wonder What's Next - listening to this on headphones feels like the riff is sucking your left ear out until the right speaker engages. Some of my favorite drumming from Sam. It just builds. The guitars are screechy going into the dry tone riffage that cycles over and over again. "I wonder what's next.....whispered NOTHING". They cut out to just drums and then Pete does a spoken word thing over the muted guitars. The third quarter where he speaks "We play the blaming game, yes I mind, it's not your turn" and then switches it up to screaming is different. In terms of song recipe this song hits all of the Chevelle criteria - driving guitar riff, repetitious drumming and chorus, alternating quiet and loud vocals. I think it's one of the best examples of what the band does well. 8.5/10.

7. Don't Fake This - I really like the warm guitar tone and repetitious moaning - eeee-oooooh. The guitars riff and then stop to linger. They drop out completely to where the bass and drums shine again. Muted line is played and then gives way to "yes you're my SIGHT!" with what sounds like a fire alarm going off. It's a head banger. That thick fuzzy guitar tone is back in full force - "disposable men". A swirly electronic sound before "so dooooon't fake this" with full screamy Pete. The guitar strums out 1-2-3-4 stop! I like the variation in this song a lot between the instruments and vocals. 9/10.

8. Forfeit - I like the guitar effect on the intro - it's very loud and pronounced with super fuzz. Pete emphasises "Firm". The soft whispered "Forfeit" before repetitious guitar helps build the tension. You think it's going to explode but it backs off for the second verse. When it builds again you know it's coming with the screamed "Forfeit!" Another great example of their repetitious tendencies. They sink the vocals back into the mix. "So step up" then starts the panning between left and right speakers on guitar. I love when bands do this. It gives a sense of direction or placement of the instruments. When everything kicks in it can get a little too thick and muddy but otherwise a notable song. 8.5/10.

9. Grab Thy Hand - Pete draws out the opening line. A lot of instrumental stuff going on before the verses. More repetition with bass/guitar lines. That soft to loud thing is happening again. What is he saying? "Grab thy hand and fall, fly, look, walk? I used to own a signed copy of the CD but sold it many years ago. Can't verify. 7/10.

10. An Evening with El Diablo - bass-fest. Rat-a-tat drums with heavy kick coming in. Pete has echoed - "we found" and "this disease". Multiple guitar riff stabs and then back to quiet. This one is another slow builder but you can hear the light guitars on the second verse. "Too scared to run" kicks things off. "Wish I had your faults, nothing seems to phase you" is the most memorable part of the song for me. Sounds like heavy phaser on the guitar where it whooshes in and out/up and down. I didn't remember how long this song is at almost six minutes. I think it could have been significantly shorter and some of the repeated "wish I had your faults" get tiresome. It's like a soft fuzzy jam for the last minute or so. 6.5/10.

11. One Lonely Visitor - sounds like Pete is playing this song in the bathroom on acoustic guitar. Very echo-y. Light harmonization. It reminds me of Dashboard Confessional - specifically the sound and Pete's singing. Kind of whiny. "Am I alone in here?" A song where I just don't connect with the lyrics. An odd way to end the album. 4/10.

I really enjoy listening to albums that I haven't heard in a long time. Chevelle's Wonder What's Next was a nice trip down memory lane. I remember sitting in my tiny, tiny apartment in Phoenix, AZ working late into the night on my college animation assignments. This along with many others was the soundtrack of my life at the time. This was an album more about the SOUND than the lyrics. I don't find myself singing along with many of these but enjoy the album for what it is. I became a fan of the band and have followed them casually ever since - owning most of their albums at one time. Uneven in some places and the biggest song (The Red) may be one of my least favorites (perhaps due to being overplayed to death) I give it a 7.5/10.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Submersed - In Due Time Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

Once upon a time there was a band that featured members of Tremonti - Eric Friedman and Garrett Whitlock. It was called Submersed. Those that have been around the AB Nation and original ABB.net remember the announcement of their album In Due Time. Mark was one of the producers of the album and it arrived very shortly after Alter Bridge's own One Day Remains in 2004. According to the disc notes Scott Phillips was responsible for drums and percussion on half of the songs. I still have my CD copy from Wind-up Records which I am looking at while I write this review. It's a rare gem.

1. Hollow - the guitar tone is super clear on the intro with slight delay effect. Bass is well defined along with rhythm guitar dominating the left speaker and the drums have nice power in the mix. Donald Carpenter is more than a decent singer. He has ear-pleasing falsetto and depth to his voice. There are times though where he feels drowned out by the guitars. The chorus is melodic and memorable "You can make me scream internally". Donald does solid screams on "Scream" and "Breathe". It's a guitar driven band though, and Eric and TJ do an oustanding job elevating this song and entire album beyond mediocrity. 9/10.

2. To Peace - there's some mic feedback that screeches into the opening guitar riff. It's thick. Donald sounds fantastic on this song - crystal clear with no vocal effects. Eric's guitar is searing hot and cuts through everything. They do a good job of balancing the softer verses with meaty chorus "This is for the broken-hearted". Some good echoes and they shift into acoustic mode with harmonies. Again, there is skill in crafting melodic choruses that beg to be sung along to. Another of my favorites. 9/10.

3. In Due Time - the best introductory drumming from Garrett. Bum-ba-bum-bum guitars. An off-kilter time signature. Donald howls, "Why do I fooooollow, letting you in front of me?" Background vocals are much stronger on the second verse. Some nice squeals from the guitars in the background. Highlight of the song is the halfway point with "NEVER TO BREAK FREEEEEE". Another great sing/shout along moment. The overall sound on this album is wonderful. I have commented many times how I like a "warm" feeling. It's here in full effect and Kelan Luker's bass work has a heavy hand in that. 8.5/10.

4. Dripping - thunderstorm introduction with audible rain that goes on for about 30 seconds and lingers through the verse. Single guitar and subtle bass that's positioned in the left speaker. Donald comes in on the right speaker. Great separation. Kicks in with thunderclap "So numb". You can tell the slight differences in production with this song having a drier feel. The guitars ride very high in the mix. Scott Phillips' drumming is noticeably different from Garrett's. Not near as punchy or forceful but still good. It's front and center around 3:07. The vocal effect on "Breaking through" with hushed "Break" that carries is a nice touch. The song moves along and Donald holds "breaking throoough to yooooooou!" Raindrops come back in to close the song. 8/10.

5. Flicker - Mark Tremonti is featured on the guitar intro - 12 string? I love when he does this for songs. Reminds me of the Creed days and is something I wish he would do more of in AB nowadays. Best bass work on the album - very strong. The guitars flit in and out of the right speaker. The verses build to the chorus. Donald starts to get a little thin on "Burning out of trace". I like the doubled effect on the chorus "Choose your words, choose them wise". Reminds me of the message in AB's own Watch Your Words but much less aggressive in the delivery. Donald's voice trembles "passing with the yeeeeeeeaaaars" and then he repeats again with much more power. The 3:05 mark is where this song really develops with great solo guitar work and there's a blazing repeated line from Eric that has zing! Things get super warm and muffled near the end. That phaser whooshing effect shows up too. 8.5/10.

6. Parallelism - scratchy guitars. "Floating vessels" accompanied by smooth, seriously smooth guitars and bass. There is wonderful guitar work going on in each speaker before the chorus. Only gripe with this is Donald starts to get buried/drowned out again when the guitars come in fully. It's more of a straightforward rock song - verse, chorus, verse, chorus. There's an Eric solo at 2:41. It has his signature bluesy, borderline screechy feel. He's a great guitar player but it sounds a little out of place on this song. 7/10.

7. Deny Me - I like the zoomy and bendy guitar intro. There is that ringing effect that is actually painful to listen to on headphones. It's very distracting. Thankfully it disappears for the chorus. Submersed is able to pull off these big choruses. But there's that effect again in the second verse. Another guitar solo at 2:01. This one sounds a lot better than the previous one on Parallelism. The phrasing is nice and it descends with good speed. I think they tried to extend this one a little too long - Donald employs a few "yeahs". Repeated line from the solo to end the song. Not bad but I wish they had dumped that effect. 7/10.

8. You Run - a haunting guitar intro. With a Bon Jovi-esque (Dead or Alive) feel to the lead. "Heavy thoughts seem to slip away". The guitars sound incredible on this song. Donald does his best to keep up "as if it really matters.....you ruuuuuuuuun". He soars - "When I reach out for a hand to pull me through the storm, pull me through the norm, I reach for you". This song sounds huge. The difference in production between this and the previous songs is very noticeable. When the guitars come in "Spread....inside my mind" they add so much weight to the lyrics. Donald shows the full range and power of his voice. Perhaps the best song on this album 9.5/10.

Live in Boston from many years ago -

9. Divide The Hate - the most unique introduction on the album. Can you say Christmas bells paired with light hammering? The bass rumbles with repeated line. Middle eastern flavored guitar line. I love singing this verse "Be shown the way to swallow my pride". The drumming is vintage Garrett - this is what he brought to Tremonti - with that punishing low end sound. When Donald goes "be shown the strength I have insiiiiiiiiide" with scream before the chorus it is quite the rush. Once again, the guitar work is wonderfully varied on this song. Theres a muted line that starts at 3:01 and feels like a helicopter circling. Donald goes crazy "Break ME, shape and MAKE ME!" The guitars follow his every syllable. Outstanding! 9.5/10.

10. Piano Song - not the best song title I've ever heard but it's appropriate. One lingering chord that starts and stops - 1, 2, 3, 4. Country acoustic sort of feel - "you curse me for the things I've done". A nice tremor in Donald's voice with the falsetto coming back. They lose that juicy warm feeling in favor of the thin, dry mix again. The drumming is boring, even by Scott's standards. Chord progressions sound tired. The bridge sounds lifeless "In the end". Guitar solo - 2:41 - 2:57 that does little to elevate the song. They ramp up the volume of the guitar in the left speaker and then add the other but it becomes very muted into the chorus. What was that? Bizarre. 6/10.

11. Unconcerned - isolated guitar intro with metronome drumming. Donald sounds great again "Take a step outside". He extends the line "the real meeEEEEeeeeeEEEEE". The harmony in the second verse is too high and distracting. It sounds too restrained even with the big chorus "Love lives in me". There are soft repeated "in me" moments. The song quiets down beautifully with Donald doing his best Myles impression with the ooohs - going very high. Stuttered, delayed guitars "Dreams in you". A big "YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH" with Eric going berserk on guitar. I've seen him do this live and while it shows his skill/talent it's also very distracting. Kind of like Jack Black in School of Rock..........6/10.

Well, this is one of those flash in the pan type of bands/albums that comes along and is very exciting. I gave them a chance due to their relationship with Mark Tremonti and was glad I did. I even purchased their second album Immortal Verses. In Due Time has its moments where you say, "this is REALLY good" and others where you wonder "what is GOING ON?". The difference in songs between the two producers is VERY clear. Not to start this discussion again but it emphasizes how important that person is to the band's sound, lyrics, and even song structure. Don Gilmore helped these guys craft their best songs - in my opinion. While Mark's influence on Eric is strong (especially in the songs with guitar solos) I feel that it may have been too much. Overall an 8/10 and an album that has settled into my top 20 all-time.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: Submersed - In Due Time Album Review

Post by gbruin »

Schulzy wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:43 pm Once upon a time there was a band that featured members of Tremonti - Eric Friedman and Garrett Whitlock. It was called Submersed. Those that have been around the AB Nation and original ABB.net remember the announcement of their album In Due Time. Mark was one of the producers of the album and it arrived very shortly after Alter Bridge's own One Day Remains in 2004. According to the disc notes Scott Phillips was responsible for drums and percussion on half of the songs. I still have my CD copy from Wind-up Records which I am looking at while I write this review. It's a rare gem.
Well, this is one of those flash in the pan type of bands/albums that comes along and is very exciting. I gave them a chance due to their relationship with Mark Tremonti and was glad I did. I even purchased their second album Immortal Verses. In Due Time has its moments where you say, "this is REALLY good" and others where you wonder "what is GOING ON?". The difference in songs between the two producers is VERY clear. Not to start this discussion again but it emphasizes how important that person is to the band's sound, lyrics, and even song structure. Don Gilmore helped these guys craft their best songs - in my opinion. While Mark's influence on Eric is strong (especially in the songs with guitar solos) I feel that it may have been too much. Overall an 8/10 and an album that has settled into my top 20 all-time.
Oh, yes. That is such a great album, Schulzy. Thanks for the review and bringing this one back up front. :rockon

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

gbruin wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:38 am My favorite album of 2022 was Queensrÿche - Digital Noise Alliance.
Thanks for posting this in here. I know next to nothing about Queensryche but appreciate your brief history of the band. I gave this album a listen on three different occasions but could only seem to make it through the first 4-5 songs. I think part of it is that I'm so worn out after this year and the holidays. I may try again at some point. I do like the impressive dual guitar thing they have going on. Avenged Sevenfold has copied that which reminds me........

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Audioslave - Audioslave Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

Before I get to Avenged Sevenfold let me rewind to 2002 again. Up to that point I'd never heard the term "supergroup" or possibly had no idea what it even meant. One of my friends in college was talking non-stop about Chris Cornell (who I knew about from the song Black Hole Sun). I said, "what's going on with Chris?". He said that a new band had started with Chris and guys from Rage Against The Machine called Audioslave. I was watching VH1 one morning and saw the video for Cochise. At that point I knew I wanted to hear more. Here is the review of their self titled debut album - Audioslave.

1. Cochise - that opening guitar sound (helicopter style) accompanied by bum-bum-BA! drumming grows ever louder. They ride that hook through the first verse and majority of the song with the bass and guitar mirroring each other to great effect. I will get to the instruments in a minute. Chris' voice hits me differently each time that I listen to this album. The raspy quality is perfect for this type of music. He shines on "take it out on MEEEEEEE" with slight harmonization behind him. That strained sound lends itself to the repeated message "go on and save yourself!" with an air of giving up or reluctant compromise. Brad, Tim, and Tom have such experience creating funky, bombastic sounding music that has punctuated moments. It accomplished the mission of attracting fans - new and old. 8.5/10.

2. Show Me How to Live - this is one of those examples where the second song on an album completely outshines the opener. I LOVE this music video and the radio introduction - "this radio station was named Audioslave". "Speed means freedom of the soul". Two chords on guitar and drums that feed Tim's ba-da-ba-BUM! Ba-BUM! bass. Chris hums - "mmmmmMMMMMmmmmMMMMMMM". His voice is slightly muffled and lets the bass and drums continue to carry until the chorus "Nail in MY HAND! From my creator. You gave ME A LIFE! Now show ME HOW TO LIVE!" It's one of those rare songs that sent tingles down the back of my neck when I first heard it. The bass absolutely thumps - if you listen to this on a good system with subwoofer it will rattle the dishes in your cabinets. The production from Rick Rubin is simply perfect - vocals are clear, building drums in the bridge sound incredible, Morello's guitar stabs and riffing MOVE the song, and the bass is off the charts. The way Chris ends with the "ahhh-aaahhhhh-ahhhh-AHHHHHHHHHHH-ahhhh" is the icing on the cake. 10/10!

3. Gasoline - back to simple - isolated guitar and kick drum - bum---bum---bum---bum! It's the heartbeat. Then Tim and Tom match each other on the second riff. Tom is known for his odd guitar effects but I like this one that chops up his chords and stutters (go back to Baba O'Riley/Teenage Wasteland by The Who and it's very similar to the synth organ sound). Chris' voice the first time on "houses haunted" is majestic. The way it rises "someone take me far from heeeeeeeeere, YEAH!!!" There's a great background vocal effect "houses haunted" on the second verse. Chris isn't afraid to let some of his words bleed together. That climbing riff is so catchy. Then it changes suddenly to Tom's lone guitar playing that single note melody - daaa-duh-da-da-duh-da-da-DEE-DEE! If I can actually sing the guitar parts it makes a song much more memorable for me. Tim's bass sound on this album is INSANE - flappy, thumpy, groovy....oh MY! Then Tom Morello gets his chance to take over with that wah peddle going nuts. He and Tim fit together like PB&J. The last minute of the song "Now a force, only a can of red, it says danger on it, I have found another WAY!!!!!! Burning it all AWAY!" Chris is howling/screaming at the top of his lungs. Wow! 9/10!

4. What You Are - they like the instrumental intros. I like bands where the drummer gets pushed to the front frequently. Brad does a great job on this album. It fills the headphones. This is kind of a mopey slow song. They build it up to "now I'm free from what you want!". Chris is buried behind the guitars. Then he comes in strong for the second verse - like they purposely pushed up his volume. Before the second chorus it seems like they have actually sped up the percussion too fast. And now we come to it - 2:33 - Tom Morello does this thing........where he makes his guitar as cringeworthy as possible. The WAH is overpowering and he sounds like he's trying to do a country style?????? No. I'm grateful it does not go on very long. This song just falls completely flat after the first three. 4/10.

5. Like a Stone - where do I start with this one? The delayed guitar, sharp drums, and bending bass line lead us to Chris "on a cobweb afternoon". His singing is rather restrained and watching him in the music video you can see how he barely opens his mouth at times. I like his vocal phrasing and how he draws out "Liiiiiike a Stooooooone". This is a song that winds along. I know all of the lyrics having heard it hundreds of times. Do I think it's their best ever? No, I don't. Partially because Tom Morello decides to go all psychedelic with his guitar solo. It takes me out of the song. Noisy and distracting. They switch up to acoustic guitars for the end and I actually prefer it this way. Wish they would have done it completely acoustic. I also think the song is too long at 5:02. 6/10.

6. Set it Off - another odd guitar/programmed effect from Tom. This picks the pace back up with a super loud whooshing noise! It has that sludgy sound. They bring back the bouncy bass and the guitar shifts into the left speaker with a secondary thing going on in the right speaker. Cool separation. I like the chorus but it's not their best "set it off, set if off now children!". The guitars and bass sound too low behind the chorus. They raise the volume "All right, all right!" and this is where the song sounds great. 7/10.

7. Shadow on the Sun - this song is the definition of haunting. Alternating guitar notes. Chris sings "once upon a time, I was of the mind to lay your burden down". He is SO clear it sounds like he's sitting right next to you. I love singing this. Bass and drums come in without overshadowing the lyrics. When this comes in fully it's filled with warmth and that big feeling they achieved in Cochise. The way he holds out "shadow on the suuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnn" almost brings me to tears. Two thumbs way up on the production of this song. It sounds incredible. Tom starts to do his stuttery guitar thing at 2:33. I have to say, he takes risks and that doubled rising note gives way to a Beatles-type cacophony of noise. But it's not utterly annoying and shows restraint. After that there's a single pulsing note in the right speaker. "Every drop of flame, lights a candle in, memory of the one, who lived inside my skin!". The way this song ends starting at 4:34 with rising drums and zoomy guitar riff - boom-BA-boom-ba-boom-ba - while Chris screams "shadow on the sun" over and over is possibly my favorite moment on the entire album. I move my head and shoulders. It's a wonderful mid-point and an absolute gem. 9.5/10.

8. I Am the Highway - that volume knob riding is a cool effect. This has a country sort of feel with the acoustic guitar and drumbeat. Sounds like something you'd hear around the campfire. It's a memorable chorus "I am not your rolling wheels, I am the highway. I am not your carpet ride, I am the sky". Chris even brings in some of the southern accent "awwwwllll baaahh mahhhhhseeeeelllllf." I like the trade-off lyrically between the am nots and ams. He pushes the final chorus up to where we can hear more of the grit and rasp. The song is a sharp contrast to SotS and it definitely stands out on the album. 7/10.

9. Exploder - I have always wondered who chooses song order on the album - band, producers, label, a mixture? This song actually explodes after IAtH. Those drums and bass come back in full force. I like how the bass punctuates Chris' verse. That Ba-da-da-DA riff in the chorus comes back around later. Chris is really going for it like in Cochise. He strains to hit the higher notes and it actually carries into the second verse. Tom alternates the guitar in high pitched bridge where Chris says "da-un-duh-DA-da". "If you're free you'll never see the walls!" The final time on the chorus it feels like Chris is going to blow his voice completely out with the intense effort it takes to sing. It's one of the vocal highlights. 8/10.

10. Hypnotize - strange opening where the guitars bend in the right speaker repeatedly. Tim's bass line is very cool. This drums sound like they could have been on the Bourne Identity soundtrack a-la Moby (which came out the same year). Chris's singing is very different from Exploder. Like he's trying to sing very low in his range without the crazy strain. "Don't you keep your good luck to yourself". The da-da-da-da sound adds a nice layer to the song. There's a doubled vocal effect on the second chorus with Chris harmonizing much higher with himself. Screechy Tom comes in for a few moments of WTF? Brad's drumming on this song is super consistent. They have a turntable effect (like what Incubus and Linkin Park used). They vary up the final 20 seconds or so and you can distinctly hear Chris's harmonization at the end. Again, a very unique song on the album. I go back and forth - 6-7/10.

11. Bring Em Back Alive - walking bass line and tinging drums drop out for descending guitar line. Chris moans "ohh-aa-ohh-aa-ohh". There's that funky slow-mo bass and drums again. This is the Audioslave sound to me. Chris has what sounds like a flanger effect on his voice. "and they buried me where no one could see and no one would be around/allowed". Tom has perhaps his worst guitar solo on the album that is so obnoxious that I often will skip to the next song because of it. Forgive me, it ruins an otherwise great song. A shame. 6/10.

12. Light My Way - evidently the first song that the band wrote together. Opens with a painful, divebombing, high pitched sound that kicks into the groovy riff. I actually like the wahs early on in this song. Chris sounds great again "in my hour of neeeeeeed". Brad's drumming may sound too similar from song to song like this but it allows the bass, guitar, and Chris' voice to shine. You can just howl this chorus "won't you LIGHT MY WAY?!?!" I LOVE it! There's a very unexpected digital organ style line that goes up and down during the second verse. Chris just builds each line up to the chorus. Man it's BIG, HEAVY, and if you can't bob your head to this I don't know what to tell you. Reminds me of Show Me How to Live - and that's a very good thing. Changes up to that Beatles style sound with that whooshing phaser and muted guitar. "So when I'm lost, though I'm tired and depraved". The part where Chris goes "don't save it for another day...eeeeeEEEEEEEEEEE" over softer chords is stunning. That bum-DAAAA-bum during the repeated "don't save it for another day" is perfect. What a great way to add some energy towards the end of the album. 9.5/10.

13. Getaway Car - a softer, jazzier Audioslave. This is another unexpected changeup song on the album. There's nothing else like it. "settle doooooown". That's what I like to do while listening to this. It's undeniably relaxing. The pace is slow. Chris even lets loose a few "oooohs". I think Myles may have taken some of this feeling into One Day Remains. A droning guitar sound comes in briefly. "Get yourself a car and drive it all alone". A bluesy guitar solo with beautiful bends and muted sound while the bass just rumbles and glides beneath it. It's the BEST one on the album. Chris ends with another "ooooooooooOOOOOoooo". Beautiful. 8/10.

14. The Last Remaining Light - a snaking alternating guitar line and very warm bass line. The drums feel like they rattle and linger. Chris is moaning the lyrics. It has a James Bond like feel to it. Maybe that's why Chris ended up singing on Casino Royale a few years later. "If you don't believe the sun will rise". It got that Soundgarden feel to it. Back to the jazzy feel and another nice brief guitar moment from Tom Morello. "Down your winter and underneath your waves" is an odd lyric. It has that fuzzy late 60s/early 70s feel to it. A second nice guitar moment with taste and softness. Wow! The arpeggiated chords to end the song further the feel while Chris ends "Lieeeeiiiieeeeiiight!". 8/10.

I have to say that my college years were perhaps the most important in my musical journey. I continued to explore new bands and sounds that took me further from the R&B, pop, and hip-hop days of high school and into the realm of blues, jazz, funk, rock, hard rock, metal, and nu-metal. Audioslave opened the door for me to go back and listen to many of the Soundgarden albums. I bought Chris Cornell's solo album - Euphoria Morning. I was never a big fan of Rage Against the Machine but appreciated what the members brought to Audioslave. The first album captured lightning in a bottle (which they were unable to replicate again on Out of Exile and Revelations). The highs are wonderfully high and there are also moments where they crashed and burned. Overall an 8.5/10 and will remain in my top 10 albums of all time.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Avenged Sevenfold - Avenged Sevenfold Album Review

Post by Schulzy »

As promised, I am ready to deliver my review for Avenged Sevenfold's self titled album that showed up in 2007. I was driving around Connecticut on my sales calls and Almost Easy came on the radio. I went, "who is this?" One of those songs that "hooks" you. I went and purchased the album along with Waking The Fallen and City of Evil. I bought Nightmare the day it came out and was incredibly disappointed - I think they had lost some of their energy and creative juice for song writing/album making after the Rev's death. Hail to The King was a return to form but that album was very front heavy with the hits. The Stage was so weird that I have not kept up much with the band since. However, I return to this album every few years and revel in its hard-rocking glory. Without further ado.

1. Critical Acclaim - organ, anyone? Synyster and Zacky come in right away with the scorching dual leads. M. Shadows screams loudly. The main riff is so simple but incredibly fun to play on guitar. "Shhh, be quiet I might piss somebody off!" There is so much going on in this song - vocals panning, chanted heys, the Rev doing his drumming/background vocals. This is a "rant" song where Shadows goes off. He mellows out for the final third with Gates moaning in the background. I love the guitar tone he has for his solos. He loves the bends, divebombs, and mind boggling shreds. The harmonized dual guitars are wonderful. Meanwhile - Johnny is bum-ba-dum-bumming his bass lines. That screeching end wakes you up! 9/10. I highly recommend the Live in the LBC DVD.

2. Almost Easy - as previously stated it was the first song I heard from the album. The drumming kicks in right away with Syn ripping away on guitar. Again, a super fun up and down riff. I love singing - "that's the way it staeeeeeaaaaaeeeeeaaaaayyyyys". Pre-chorus "I'm not insane". That super low bass thing in the chorus is bone-rattling. Here comes Syn again with a solo that's straight fire - watch the music video. Rev is doing his background vocals again along with the other guys. That perpetual tinking on the drums throughout the song is fun. Another 9/10.

3. Scream - I have mixed feelings on this one. It's got almost a hip-hop kind of vibe to it. The lyrics are creepy - vampire style. The guitars sound great with the riding high scales. Johnny is very distinct on this. M. Shadows give the full range of his voice. He has a nice grit and there's something else there - rasp, kind of breathy/windy if that makes sense. When he growls "Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiime" it sounds impressive. Syn goes shredtastic on this at 2:45. I think he is one of the top guitar players I've ever heard/seen over the years. And he can do it live too. Technically very gifted. Zacky is a great complement to him. I like the end a lot with the vocals going back and forth between the speakers. 6.5/10.

4. Afterlife - this song really gained some traction and I think it's one of their best. Immediate dual guitars. The Rev is going nuts on the drums and then the cut out with Johnny giving a tasty bass lick. Semi-punk in the pre-chorus. I love the guitar work on this song and the super-melodic sing-a-long chorus, "I don't belong here"......"Far away from here"! They build wonderfully before the chorus. The instrumental bridge is fantastic but cut out of the music video. Here comes Syn again shredding like a maniac - stupid fast. A Shadows howl and some laughing! Let me comment on the look of these guys quickly - they nailed the Motley Crue, hair metal look but updated it with some serious style. 9.5/10.

5. Gunslinger - an incredible changeup song from the first four. Acoustic guitar, banjo, lap-steel/slide guitar. Country style. Shadows sounds great here. I like singing along with this one a lot. Beatiful harmonization on "my hearts always with you, nowwwwww". You can feel this song building towards something. Kicks in furiously "YEAAAAAAAAHHHHEEEEEEEAAAAAOOOOOOOOWWWW". I think this may be one of the best "homesick soldier" songs I've heard. There's a female vocalist "to bring me closer" over the guitar solo and it's gorgeous. "But with all that we've been through, after all this time I'm coming home to you". Relatable, heartfelt lyrics. 8.5/10.

6. Unbound (The Wild Ride) - it's super fast paced from the word go. Bendy guitars. Piano running up and down in the background. Feels like a rollercoaster! That punk feel is back in full force. Then the guitars go up and down the scales like the piano. The Rev's drumming moves the song along with that quick beat. "Don't fall off the track with so many races to go". I like where it switches up a little around 2:43. Lots of doodling on the guitar with the Rev doing crazy fills and rolls. Then we have a choir! Unexpected! Shadows is pushing his voice to the absolute limit. No wonder he had to take some time off. Syn has a nice guitar moment backing the choir. Gives way to guest vocals and punchy drums a distorted up and down sliding guitar line. Heartbeat to end. Unusual song. 7/10.

7. Brompton Cocktail - look it up.....eery intro with tom-tom drumming. It rises into the nasty riff - probably my favorite on the album. Johnny's bass is heavy. Strings show up here. This song straight rocks. It has that symphonic feel that I like so much. Another fun song to sing with. It speeds up and slows down nicely. "I want to meet my maker in peace". The screechy short guitar solo is nice. "Cause I can't feel my face....won't struggle on/long". Ends abruptly. 9/10.

8. Lost - dual guitars are back and they sound great. This song moves even faster than Unbound. The drumming is furious. Go, Rev, GO! Machine gun style descending line before Shadows bursts in, "Centuries passed and still the same....war in our blood". Autotuned Rev in the background? "Lost for most of this life". Shadows is REALLY pushing the vocals. Listen to the incredible guitar work in the background. Dual solo at 3:06? Impressive! Softens a little toward the end "Where peace of mind's so hard to find". Even Shadows has some Autotune applied at the 4:00 mark. Another Synyster almost minute long solo that floats up and down over the backing vocals with super bends. 7.5/10.

9. A Little Piece of Heaven - this is where things go completely off the rails. What a sick, bizarre song. The lyrics are morbid. .5/10 for instruments only.

10. Dear God - thankfully we come back to sanity with a beautiful song. Acoustic, with Shadows at his absolute best. A road song about missing the people that you love most. Eagerly waiting to get back home and see them again. It's got that country flavor to it. I was never a big country music fan but I like this song quite a bit. Is there a dobro in here like Myles used? Nice backing vocals too. The electric guitars come in for the finish. They have that winding sound that I like so much. Great way to end the album on a softer note. 8/10.

And there you have it. I would describe A7X as a group of incredibly talented musicians. Say what you will about their monikers and antics.
They have a very broad taste in music and try to implement that into their own songs. I believe this album was their creative peak where they showcased the full talents of the band - catchy choruses, elite level guitar work and drumming, as well as trying different things with the strings, choir, and song structures. Ultimately, very successful and it remains one of my favorite albums in spite of the cringeworthy ALPoH. 8.5/10.