FOO FIGHTERS!

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: FOO FIGHTERS!

Post by Andy92 »

He always had such a stage presence even behind the kit. Hated hearing about this last night. Devastating for his family and also the rest of the band.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Sad story. I remember reading not too long ago that he was pleased to have knocked the drugs on the head and was enjoying mountain biking to get his thrills. Apparently had 10 different substances in his system if you believe the rags.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Some tributes :)

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Goddamn this one hurt... Foo Fighters were one of my favorite bands in high school. Wasting Light in particular is a modern rock classic. Taylor was an animal behind the kit with a hell of an underrated voice as a singer! Seemed like such a chill dude who'd finally got his shit together... 10 different substances?! Very hard to believe... Fuck. :mope

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

Dan Dando wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:16 pm

Some tributes :)

I love it! Thank you for sharing! I hope to get to see Wolf at the HardRock next weekend! I haven’t had the opportunity to see him play live! Looking forward to it!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: FOO FIGHTERS!.. Beautiful Spirit!

Post by MaraCarr »

I think this is an incredible display of true friendship, it made me see what a beautiful eternal spirit “He Is” … TAYLOR

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

UninvitedZero wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:05 am Goddamn this one hurt... Foo Fighters were one of my favorite bands in high school. Wasting Light in particular is a modern rock classic. Taylor was an animal behind the kit with a hell of an underrated voice as a singer! Seemed like such a chill dude who'd finally got his shit together... 10 different substances?! Very hard to believe... Fuck. :mope
Hugs!! He is beautiful and eternal!

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Absolute tragedy. I love so many songs by the Foos and Taylor's playing is on most of them. Poor Dave man. Imagine losing Kurt Cobain and Taylor Hawkins in the same lifetime.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Wasting Light i dont think was necessarily an amazing album but it definetely sounded good because it was all done on analog. No loudness wars crap.

Hopefully this comment isnt too soon. RIP Taylor

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I suggest you listen to it again. It was just as loud as any other album from that era:
https://dr.loudness-war.info/?artist=&a ... ting+light

It just proves that the whole analog recording is just some marketing BS.
If you screw it up during the mixing and mastering phase, you've just wasted time and money recording it on tape.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: first foo vinyl!

Post by zazthespaz »

Anyone else check the new album out yet? Gave it a spin, definitely get the vibe that it's a tribute to Taylor (understandably). Kind of leaning towards the first half of the album and liking it more, but I think I like the album entirely which is probably the first time that's happened as far as recent Foo Fighter albums go. Kind of goes back to their original sound and I wonder if that's due to nostalgia for playing with Taylor. Good album though, I asked for it on vinyl for my birthday before I'd heard it and would be happy to have it in my collection.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I thought the entire album was very good, probably their best since Wasting Lights, but that last song was absolutely heartbreaking.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

The Teacher is an amazing song. I listened to the whole album once, but I'll surely give it a second spin soon!

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

chtimixeur wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:41 am I suggest you listen to it again. It was just as loud as any other album from that era:

If you screw it up during the mixing and mastering phase, you've just wasted time and money recording it on tape.
I never knew this site existed. Very cool to see! And hey, check this out... for all the flack that Walk The Sky gets, looks like the vinyl release had a lot less "loudness" issue than everyone says. Maybe it's just a victim of the digital release?

https://dr.loudness-war.info/?artist=al ... lk+the+sky
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I doubt it sounds any better, to be honest.
There was a time when a more dynamic source was used for vinyl, but it's becoming very rare.
These days, since it's faster and more convenient, the same master will be used for everything : CD, vinyl, digital files, cassettes...

If you use the same master for a CD and a vinyl, the vinyl will end up with a higher DR number (usually +3), just because of vinyl artifacts. You can't use a master that is too loud for vinyl, or else the LP will have skipping issues.
So basically, most vinyls these days are using the same source that is used for the CD. But since it's manufactrued at a lower volume, it gives the false impression that it is more dynamic, when it's actually not.

The problem with AB's music is that the source doesn't sound good in the first place: it's loud and compressed, so putting it on vinyl won't make a real audiophile difference.
Unless they remix their albums or use an unmastered version specifically for vinyl, you won't hear much of an improvement.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

chtimixeur wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:41 am I suggest you listen to it again. It was just as loud as any other album from that era:

Tape does impart a certain tone on the individual tracks being recorded and mixed before transfer to digital though. It also has a large effect on arrangements and how the artist chooses to write and perform parts, too.

I do think too much attention is paid to the DR rating of loud rock and metal albums. If the material is full ahead rock all the time, the DR rating will be low regardless of how compressed the mix is or isn't. As long as it sounds good, who cares? Wasting Light does sound great to my ears. Yes, there's some compression, but it suits the album and material and the source tones are great.