Rate the last album, you listened to.

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Dolo
Burn It Down

Re: Rate the last album, you listened to.

Post by Dolo »

Andy92 wrote: You won't like an entire Sevendust record if you only like their radio singles though.
Hmmmm, that's a kind of a strange assumption. If I only like their radio singles but not their records, it means that they are pretty radio-friendly (IMO) and they only focus on producing radio hits, not ambitious music. Decay, which is a single, is actually pretty good, but the rest of the album is just really generic in my page.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Actually I meant they weren't very radio friendly lol. They've had some popular radio songs over the past few years, but their early records like Home and Animosity were really raw. Most people that find Sevendust through radio don't care for their raw stuff, at least from what I've seen.

As far as Black Out The Sun goes, I really like Faithless, Till Death, Mountain, Black Out The Sun, Dead Roses, Decay, and Got A Feeling.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Agreed, Andy. While I don't think it's as good as Cold Day Memory, there are some really good tunes on there. I love Cold As War also, just because it is so different from anything they have done with the talk box.

Also, dolo, they do some REALLY ambitious music. Check out the 9 minute "Burn." It's my favorite of theirs. I guess I can rate this one as well, as I listened to it while running yesterday.

7.0/10
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

One Drew Remains wrote:A
Also, dolo, they do some REALLY ambitious music. Check out the 9 minute "Burn." It's my favorite of theirs. I guess I can rate this one as well, as I listened to it while running yesterday.
Well, as I've mentioned earlier I'm not really familiar with their stuff, I was just talking about Black out the Sun. Maybe I will check out some more of them thanks to your opinion.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Decay

Post by Decay »

Blake Shelton - Based On A True Story... 10/10

Love me some country. Blake is awesome and so is his music. Well done sir.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I don't think I've ever given a 10/10 to an album..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Seriously, Timo? Not even to AB albums?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Nope.. Blackbird is a 9.5 max, but only because of nostalgia. But I think you're just a bit easier in giving your rates :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I don't give 10s either really. Depends on how you rate things though. I see 5/10 as average where some people see that as an awful rating.

And how someone can give a country album a 10 and a Sevendust album a 0 is beyond me lol.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Lol yea, I don't think I've ever heard a 0-worthy album in my life.. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Andy92 wrote:I don't give 10s either really. Depends on how you rate things though. I see 5/10 as average where some people see that as an awful rating.

And how someone can give a country album a 10 and a Sevendust album a 0 is beyond me lol.
Well I ain't that hard to please.
But Sevendust's new album is horrible. Don't like a single song from it, maybe Decay but even that song is meh.

EDIT: Because I love country music and because Blake Shelton rules, that's because I gave his album a 10.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I don't think I have ever given an album a 10, even Blackbird which is indeed 9.5/10 and the issue for not giving it a 10 is because the album is slightly too long and that it did not send AB into the stratosphere.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Jeff Buckley's Grace is probably a 10/10 for me.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

But the thing is, 10/10 implies that you think the album is pure perfection. That the intention of the creator of the album came through perfectly. That you loved listening to this album every second. That you don't think there's stuff that could've been done better.

I'm just really demanding when I listen to music :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, took a crack at listening to Black Out the Sun. 3rd rock album of 2013, I've listened to this year. Well, overall, I'm going to give this 6.5/10. There is really nothing wrong with the music. It is just the style they were going for was not my cup of tea.

I also listened to Chapter VII: Hope & Sorrow. 7.5/10. Enjoyed Sorrow the most, Lajon and Myles' voice in that one went well hand in hand. Walk Away was another one of my favorite songs. Great ending song.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

30 Seconds to Mars - This is War - 6/10

I re-listened to this album after approximately 3.5 years and really didn't change my opinion on it. Huge anthemic choruses, "oooooohs" choirs and heavy synth support is just not my cup of tea. Moreover, it seems like an upcoming album is going to be even worse.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

I'm very impressed with this abum. I haven't enjoyed a first listen this much in a long time. I'll probably end up rating this album a bit lower in time, but after the first listen it's a 8.5, maybe even a light 9..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

I've been spinning LIke Clockwork on repeat for the last 24 hrs............

It's pretty much everything I was hoping for whilst not really sounding anything like I was expecting. Their best record since SFTD (which is easily a 10/10 for me, as perfect as an album gets in my opinion). I'd also give it an 8.5/10. My only criticism is that it could be a bit longer, ten songs just isn't enough! I'd also have liked a song with Mark Lanegan on lead vocals, but then it would have to live up to the ones on SFTD, so maybe it's better they didn't.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Hmm.. I think I'm okay with the lenght. Even though there are only 10 songs, it's still 46 minutes, which is the perfect lenght for an album imo. I agree it feels a bit short, but that's because it's so good. There's no moment on this album where I'm bored, or even come close to losing my attention. I don't even know what my favourite song is. There are at least 6 songs I would consider..
This album comes really close to Songs For The Deaf imo.. At the moment I like it even better, but that's because it's all new and fresh :D we'll see what I think in time..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

Yeah I'm just being picky, better to have a shorter album of this quality than to throw in a few filler tracks to pad it out.

I love that they've never tried to remake SFTD - so many bands try to remake their classic albums and fall short. Queens are too clever for that though!