The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm not totally sure I buy it either. Are you all talking about pre-recorded backing vox in the choruses or just straight up lip synching? I saw them back in April, and having heard thier Dortmund show (where the backing vox from the cd are audible) I was worried. But it sounded legit to me.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Josiah

Post by Josiah »

AB23 wrote:im shocked at yall saying he lip syncs some choruses. i saw them live and it sounded so original. i mean i believe it, its just shocking.
I thought the same. But he does for sure. I listened to a recent version of "I Dare You." I played the studio version the same time as the chorus of the live version, they matched up perfectly. Then at the end, when he screams "hello" same thing.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

youd think that they would just record him singing it live to use when he lip syncs so at least it doesnt sound the same as the album... i mean thats not that hard. its pretty obvious to tell when someones lip syncing when it sounds exactly the same as the album

i told all my friends this cuz they love shinedown and ended off with a "ya guys my favorite band doesnt do that so suck my balls"

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

LOL. Sounds like his mind is made up.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Yeah. Sorry to disappoint you, man. It shocked me when I first found out about it, too. But he absolutely does it.

sflonstage
Brand New Start

Post by sflonstage »

RuRo wrote: Especially since they wasted so much time on "crowd interaction" sections
During the first two albums Brent's crowd interaction was referred to as preaching. What would have been a 40 minute set ended up being an hour and ten :p
Jim wrote:See, i got into Shinedown in 2003/04 and "Leave A Whisper" was/is one of the greatest debut rock records, i believe, ever written.. The theming of the whole record, the riffs, the styling.. All of it blows me away..

Then they released "Us & Them".. And ruined it. Jasin and Brent were off their faces throughout the entire writing process, i like maybe 3 or 4 songs off the whole record and havent listened to it start to finish for maybe 5/6 years. I was let down by it immensely.. Then Jasin left and i was gutted because as a live guitarist and "rockstar" i loved him.

The Sound Of Madness was a totally new direction for Shinedown.
It really sucks what they did to Jasin. Sound of Madness, the album as a whole, singles included, music anyways, by Jasin, and he doesn't get credit for it. There's video of him performing early versions of all of the singles if you can find them on youtube. I know many were pulled down. It's such a slap in the face that Zach takes credit for the songs on that album and talks about it like he wrote and recorded the parts when the whole album was pretty much all studio musicians. ..and studio musicians who re-recorded Jasin's parts :(
Can't say I dig Amarylis. Though I do dig the title track a bit, it kind of sounds like the song "Luv Your Life" from Silverchair's Diorama album. It's more like the Brent Smith solo album.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

I actually like quite a bit of Us and Them. Heroes is a great song. About half of the others are solid. I wonder if the band likes that one. I saw them on the Avalanche tour and they only played one song (Save Me) from it.
Altered:

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

I still say that US AND THEM is a nearly perfect, modern alt-rock record. There's a rare diversity and unbelievable ear for melodies to it that you just don't get in most places.

sflonstage
Brand New Start

Post by sflonstage »

I always thought that Us and Them didn't really catch on as well as it could have because it was a bit too classic rock sounding. It's a great album, but compared to everything else that was big at the time of it's release it definitely had more of a classic rock sound to it.

Josiah

Post by Josiah »

1. Sound Of Madness
2. Leave A Whisper
3. Us And Them
4. Amaryllis

In that order.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Josiah wrote:1. Sound Of Madness
2. Leave A Whisper
3. Us And Them
4. Amaryllis

In that order.
You're crazy brah, but props on the Sawyer pic.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I'd put them:

1. Us & Them
2. Leave A Whisper
3. Amaryllis
4. Sound of Madness

I'm in the minority ranking Us & Them first I know, but it's always been my favorite. I could probably flip 3 and 4 at any given time though. Both of the newer records are about equal imo.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

sflonstage
Brand New Start

Post by sflonstage »

Andy92 wrote:I'd put them:

1. Us & Them
2. Leave A Whisper
3. Amaryllis
4. Sound of Madness

I'm in the minority ranking Us & Them first I know, but it's always been my favorite. I could probably flip 3 and 4 at any given time though. Both of the newer records are about equal imo.
Sound of Madness is still...sort of a Shinedown record. Those songs were still wrote by Jasin Todd...they were just re-recorded by studio guys. I think a lot of people associate the songs as being wrote by the lineup of Brent/Zach/Eric/Barry because that's the lineup they see live and in the videos for those songs.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I still think I like Amaryllis a little more as an entire album. I love a lot of songs on Sound of Madness, but I think it has some weak tracks. Amaryllis felt more "complete" to me, even though it didn't have as many standout tracks like Devour, Second Chance, If You Only Knew, and Call Me.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

1. Us and Them
2. The Sound of Madness
3. Leave A Whisper

I'm not much into this style of music anymore so I haven't really listened to the new one. I didn't like what I heard anyway. I put the ellipsis there because Us and Them, to me, is by far their best album and is really the only one worth much remembrance. The Sound of Madness has some decent tracks among some okay ones and I find Leave A Whisper to be pretty overrated. It doesn't come together as much more to me except as a muck of decent, grungey, hard rock anthems aside from 45 and Fly From The Inside, which are pretty good. Us and Them is in a whole other world. It's not an amazing record but it actually does something. I like an album to feel ambitious and Us and Them feels like a band that is trying to do something, that is pushing their boundaries. It's more varied and more interesting in just about every way.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

CreamCrazy
Brand New Start

Post by CreamCrazy »

If I was to rank the albums:

1. The Sound Of Madness
2. Us & Them
3. Leave A Whisper
4. Amaryllis

Damn good albums all of them! Sound Of Madness to me is the only Shinedown album where I can listen to all the tracks & not skip any of them... however Us & Them has much more value in terms of instrumental & sound variety (Lady So Divine is a damn fine example of songs they should produce more of) as well as sentimental value in getting me through tough times (I Dare You still gives me shivers). Their debut & latest albums to me felt like they were lacking something, especially Amaryllis which despite Bully knocking my socks off lacks punches all the way through like their others; it just feels bland & uninteresting.

I'm also annoyed that due to University I'm gonna miss out on seeing them live for the THIRD time since 2005... how annoying is that? They're one of only a few bands that I've adored for many years that I haven't been able to see... at least they do come here to the UK unlike others. :(

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

Nick wrote:1. Us and Them
2. The Sound of Madness
3. Leave A Whisper

I'm not much into this style of music anymore so I haven't really listened to the new one. I didn't like what I heard anyway. I put the ellipsis there because Us and Them, to me, is by far their best album and is really the only one worth much remembrance. The Sound of Madness has some decent tracks among some okay ones and I find Leave A Whisper to be pretty overrated. It doesn't come together as much more to me except as a muck of decent, grungey, hard rock anthems aside from 45 and Fly From The Inside, which are pretty good. Us and Them is in a whole other world. It's not an amazing record but it actually does something. I like an album to feel ambitious and Us and Them feels like a band that is trying to do something, that is pushing their boundaries. It's more varied and more interesting in just about every way.
This. This guy gets it. I think you're a bit hard on WHISPER, but I agree that it doesn't come together well at all. There's some strong songs on there that I enjoy nostalgically, but I've always said that since US AND THEM was released, there's only about 3 or 4 tracks on WHISPER that could compete qualitatively.

Oh, and to the guy who said Todd contributed to MADNESS: this is the first I've heard of him having anything to do with that record. He's certainly not credited as a songwriter on any of the songs, regardless of whether he recorded them or not, and I'm of the impression that it would be illegal for him not to be credited had he had any kind of a hand in the sessions. Even Erock was credited on IMMORTAL VERSES, despite having not recorded a single part.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Nick hit the nail on the head regarding Us & Them. That album really does stand apart from their other material.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Wow, apparently they got another album ready.
NME reports that Shinedown has confirmed they have a new album recorded as a follow-up to this years' Amaryllis.

The band released their fourth album earlier this year which is a follow-up to 2008's The Sound of Madness. But their next album is already in the can. Singer Brent Smith talked about their new album release:

Confirming they have a new album ready: "I've thought about new material. It's funny because…and you're actually the very first person I'll tell this too…I've done plenty of interviews but never let this one out of the bag. We've actually done another record of material. It's actually recorded."

What the new album is like: "It's still very massive. It has a very epic feel to it. But the tempos are a little slower and the subject matter is a little different. I would say it's actually a bit darker. A little bit more mischievous.

Regarding the success of Amaryllis: "This was the first true international record we received. And I say received because it really is an honour and it's a gift and it really is a privilege to get an opportunity from your record label to be released internationally. Because not every band or every artist gets that opportunity."
http://www.411mania.com/music/news/2619 ... BQG4YLB.99