The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
QwikSand
TABN.com Citizen

Re: The Official SHINEDOWN Thread

Post by QwikSand »

So great to hear Brent singing live. Sounded really good on this one I thought. Good move doing it acoustic. I love unplugged stuff.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/6QyNPfddEW0[/youtube]

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

QwikSand wrote:So great to hear Brent singing live. Sounded really good on this one I thought. Good move doing it acoustic. I love unplugged stuff.
Besides that, you're damn good at it! :cheers

And I agree. Great performance there. Brent sounds fantastic.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

QwikSand
TABN.com Citizen

Post by QwikSand »

Thank you Greg :rockon I've seen so many shows both on tv and live where he lip syncs and even some of the music is synced, but he still has a tremendous voice and needs to just do his thing even if he has to skip the tough notes. This was a really good performance and I hope it works for them.

Clyde
Bought The CDs

Post by Clyde »

I like the new album. Doesn't top Leave A Whisper, and I don't think any Shinedown album will. Fly From The Inside, Lost In The Crowd, 45, Burning Bright, In Memory. Amazing.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

That one is ok. He messed up the melody a little, a little delayed.

I like this one of Bully a lot better.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/LiAfLEkvS9o[/youtube]

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

fly from the inside is my favesies

BastiMix
Loyal Follower

Post by BastiMix »

Watching those two acoustic vids makes me wonder two things.
1) Why does he lipsync so much in recent years?
2) Why does he struggle so much live especially with the new songs? All electric performances of Bully and Unity I've seen so far were pretty bad for the standards I've grown to know from Brent.
Those two videos just show once again that he can sing like hell, so why can't he do it like this every time? I mean I don't have a problem if he changes parts to make it easier but especially on Bully perfomances you could hear him having trouble hitting the notes.

PS: I still think they should get a second guitarist instead of having certain guitar parts come from tape as well. I might be a bit picky but it annoys me to be honest.
Please give them a like :)

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

BastiMix wrote: PS: I still think they should get a second guitarist instead of having certain guitar parts come from tape as well. I might be a bit picky but it annoys me to be honest.
Exactly. I hate when bands like Disturbed, Dream Theater, early Creed (haha), Sabbath etc. have two guitar parts (during solos especially) on the record and only one guitarist, so when it comes to live performances there is an empty layer between lead and bass/drums. Provided they haven't got tapes like Shinedown...
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

BastiMix
Loyal Follower

Post by BastiMix »

I rather hear a less powerful section with maybe a distorted bass like Eric used to do it when I first saw them back in 2009 and no rhythm guitar at all but having it still be all live.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Brent sang his face off when I saw them a month ago. Every now and then he wouldn't hit the big notes quite as large as the studio versions, but I think he's doing a lot better live now than he was over the past couple years.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

superkust
Brand New Start

Post by superkust »

Shinedown is awesome !!! I seem to be the only one in Portugal that knows that but its good to see that I'm not alone :D

I would say that my favorite song right now has to be I'll Follow You !!!! I'm addicted to the new album but particularly to this song.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Has everyone seen their Soundcheck videos..???

[youtube]http://youtu.be/t2qkLXhAZlY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/M_pbYjI0hgA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/qYJ5bO01RiE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/4_Cuw0E1tqQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/uFZzrUepwpA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/uFZzrUepwpA[/youtube]

Unreal.
Obviously synced in places and they always play to a backing track in parts, but they NAIL the 2012 heavy rock scene.

superkust
Brand New Start

Post by superkust »

Awesome !!! I had seen it already but it's never too much

I'm looking forward for a live performance of I'll Follow You

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Those soundcheck videos are everything that's wrong with Shinedown.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I agree with Jim's assessment that the early albums were the best, and how they took on this "synthetic" sound over the course of time. This new album... I don't know, when I heard that the first single was going to be called "Bully" and that's exactly what it was about, it really turned me off. It's a noble enough topic, but it just screamed to me "let's cash in on a hot button media issue." Aside from that and Unity (which has the same feel), I have yet to sit down and listen through the new album. I know I should, but they really pushed away my interest with that song. Which is ludicrous, I know, but... still.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:Those soundcheck videos are everything that's wrong with Shinedown.
News flash, its 2012. I dont love the lip-syncing (if any there), but the production and big sound is what we have to expect from the business in this day and age.

If you want purely analog music, go back in time

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

TenaciousBe wrote:I agree with Jim's assessment that the early albums were the best, and how they took on this "synthetic" sound over the course of time. This new album... I don't know, when I heard that the first single was going to be called "Bully" and that's exactly what it was about, it really turned me off. It's a noble enough topic, but it just screamed to me "let's cash in on a hot button media issue." Aside from that and Unity (which has the same feel), I have yet to sit down and listen through the new album. I know I should, but they really pushed away my interest with that song. Which is ludicrous, I know, but... still.
Ive only ever been put off Shinedown by bad song writing, like on "Us and Them" where they were purely off their faces on drugs.
Amaryllis is actually a brilliant album.. "I'll Follow You" is a superbly written track with a great solo and lyrics

BastiMix
Loyal Follower

Post by BastiMix »

Just watched the Walmart videos and I have to say, while there's still guitar parts and stuff from tape and Brent got a little help backing himself as well, he did sing live and better than I heard him do in a long time. I enjoyed those vids.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Jim wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:Those soundcheck videos are everything that's wrong with Shinedown.
News flash, its 2012. I dont love the lip-syncing (if any there), but the production and big sound is what we have to expect from the business in this day and age.

If you want purely analog music, go back in time
Ok, so because it's 2012 it gives musicians the right to lip sync and fake playing their music.... no.
I didn't say anything about the big production or analog... feel free to explain where that came from.
Last edited by psycosquirrel789 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

TenaciousBe wrote:when I heard that the first single was going to be called "Bully" and that's exactly what it was about, it really turned me off. It's a noble enough topic, but it just screamed to me "let's cash in on a hot button media issue."
Why shouldn't bands be able to write about hot topic issues? It's not like they're making a political statement. Brent just doesn't seem like the kind of writer that would think "I'm gonna write about this issue because I know it will give the band more popularity." If an issue has a meaning to him, he'll write about it. That's the vibe I got from the acoustic show on their last live DVD anyways. Their increasing popularity is mainly due to Brent writing about real issues imo.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.