The Official BIG WRECK Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
devv88
Isolated

Re: The Official BIG WRECK Thread

Post by devv88 »

Man, the full band arrangements of the solo stuff are sooooo much better.

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

WOW I haven't been around here for AGES!!!
Anyway, news. new Album - Grace Street
Vids
Skybunk Marche

One Good Piece of me

And tour!
http://www.bigwreckmusic.com/tour/

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Wasn't digging the instrumental, too much, but One Good Piece of me is a winner.

Dangitall, I know they are touring everywhere in Canada around that period, but why can't management/agents/etc. get Big Wreck as main support for AB in the US tour? I would gladly would love to enjoy their set instead of the support AB is getting nowadays in the states (Like a Storm, California Breed, and Black Stone Cherry (in 2011) were the exceptions).

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Hmm, I love Big Wreck, but neither of those songs did much for me. Hopefully the album will hold up against their previous work which is super solid.

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

Press...

Co-produced by Garth Richardson (Rage Against The Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers), the sonic diversity on Grace Street is indeed stunning. Heavy grooving tracks such as lead-off single “One Good Piece Of Me” and “Digging In” rub shoulders with the atmospheric “A Speedy Recovery” and the epic seven-minute instrumental “Skybunk Marché,” while other tracks feature added touches such as Miles Davis-style muted trumpet, wine glasses, a sample of a child’s heartbeat, and a Leslie speaker guitar solo recorded on a mountainside adjacent to Richardson’s B.C. studio.

But at the core of Grace Street are live off the floor performances by founding front man Ian Thornley on guitar and keyboards, accompanied by drummer Chuck Keeping and bassist Dave McMillan. (The full Big Wreck line-up with additional guitarists Paulo Neta and Brian Doherty remains intact when the band hits the stage). For Thornley, it was imperative to maintain the human element in every aspect of the sessions, resulting in a trip he feels no previous Big Wreck album has taken a listener on before.

“Musically, I’m still searching for the stuff that turns me on and takes me somewhere,” he says. “You want to be brought to tears or have the hair on your neck stand up, and if the search for that takes you to new territory, then so be it. You have to follow. It’s like chasing a high, and Garth feels that just as much as we do.”

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

didn't really like those two songs that much

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The instrumental was amazing. Really enjoyed that. One Good Piece Of Me is okay. Ian play cupid in that video was great though :D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

Marsh-AAAAA!

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

I am psyched about some U.S. dates :D
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

agny
On The Rail

Post by agny »

Timotheus wrote:The instrumental was amazing. Really enjoyed that. One Good Piece Of Me is okay. Ian play cupid in that video was great though :D
Same reactions.
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

25 plus minute LIVE Big Wreck... Dunlop Sessions: Big Wreck
Superb!
Interview #1
Overemphasizing
Interview #2
Skybunk Marche
Interview #3
Come Again

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

More Big Zep

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

i liked that one

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

Okay, that's what I'm talking about. Digging In has restored my hope for this album after not really feeling the other two tracks.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Really cool song. Awesome groove. Could've done without that multi layered vocal bridge that comes back twice though.
Last edited by Timotheus on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

Nah, it all keeps growing on me... no boundaries! LOVE the unexpected!

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

I'm not sure how I feel about how this album is shaping up. The musicianship is still there, but something happened to the melodies between GHOSTS and SECRETS. Listening back to "A Speedy Recovery", I'm not sure I can even recall what the chorus sounds like. Still withholding judgment until the whole thing drops, but I haven't found myself revisiting SECRETS much since it landed, and I fear the same is going to happen here. When "Ghosts" dropped, I played that single into the GROUND. I don't think I've listened to any of the singles from GRACE STREET more than two or three times.

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

Devv, that's the problem... we all know it takes 10 times for a BW track to grow on you.... Ha! These songs are ear worms! And Secrets was/is wonderfully touching. I return all the time.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

I liked A Speedy Recovery - I'll wait till I can hear the whole album and digest it for a while, but so far based on the singles, I'm thinking this record might not tickle my fancy as much as the other post-reunion records. We shall see, I hope I'm wrong.

Matt0218a
Brand New Start

Post by Matt0218a »

Hey does anyone have a current link to the myspace demos Ian released? I have been searching everywhere I can find for them and everything either turns up as a dead end or a dead link. Any help would be appreciated.