The Official MASTODON Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Official MASTODON Thread

Post by Timotheus »

Mr. Slash wrote:
Timotheus wrote:So happy with the new album. Precious Stones, Steambreather, Roots Remain (that guitar solo....) and Word to the Wise.. Such a spectacular four-song span. Jaguar King is ridiculous as well.
So you listened to the leak? You monster! :fingerwag

Since I never dug into this band's music I will just the time until the release to listens to their previous album. The only thing I remember from them is that their vocals are rather "rough". Kinda weird, 'cause the song they released recently sounded pretty nice regarding that aspect.
Crack The Skye is probably the best album to start. Maybe Blood Mountain or Leviathan as well, but considering you're not into really rough music I'd put those on hold until later.

The new song is indeed very different. It feels really out-of-place on the new album I think.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Listen to what the guitar player says about songwriting from 0:43 on.
IMHO, that's exactly what Alter Bridge should do, since they keep talking about writing progressive material.
Let's go with that. I don't ever say "we have to have a a chorus here". We don't really formulate songs like that.
I'm highly impressed by the new record, and I can't say I'm was a huge fan of theirs.
They just go for it and take evey opportunity to try something new.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

New album is great. ONCE MORE ROUND THE SUN sort of lost steam about halfway through the album for me. No such issue here. Solid from start to finish.

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mikeyd23 »

EOS is fantastic. Start to finish, great record.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Usually I like the heavier or more proggy songs of band. On this new album I actually like the more melodic songs a lot! Show Yourself, Steambreather (!) and Word to the Wise being the prime examples. never been a huge Mastodon fan, but I'm digging this!

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

The new album is incredibly ambitious.
I love how they take chances on every song and don't follow any rules when it comes to song structures.
This is so rewarding for the listeners who take the time to listen to the whole thing.