The Official MASTODON Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Official MASTODON Thread

Post by BSC »

The chorus is a bit strange with Brann's vocals, it's a bit reliant on that one riff as well, but apart from that it's a really good song. I'm definitely looking forward to the album even more now.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I wasn't sure how to feel about the chorus in the beginning, but it grew on me really fast.. His voice sounds kinda weird though..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Eh, I don't like it yet. Pretty bland. It's simple like Curl of the Burl but not nearly as fun.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

It's not bad, but not great. Think it'll be a grower.

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

Keen for the new album in June. Saw them at Soundwave festival here in Australia... favourite albums, definitely The Hunter & Crack The Skye. Going by the single this will join them nicely. ;)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

http://celestialfrequenciesalign.tumblr ... t-midnight

A new song leaked. I'm not sure how I feel about it.. Certain parts remind me a lot of Spectrelight and overal it didn't excite me that much. Definitely not a bad song, might have to give it a few more listens.

The drumming is pretty awesome throughout the song though!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I love Timo's roundabout way of trying to say a song sucks.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

It is a lot like Spectrelight, riff wise and melody wise, but I don't think anybody can say it sucks if you're an actual fan of Mastodon. But I must agree with Timo in that once the intro had gone, nothing really excited me until Brent started singing.

Saying that, I think I'm going to really enjoy this album, from what I've heard it's like they're progressing with the vibe they had going on with The Hunter, but combining elements all their other albums. High Road literally sounds like all of their albums put together, which is crazy when you consider the variation between each one! I just hope there's a couple of songs that are a bit more out-going, I read a review the other day and it said there was an 8 minute track so that should be interesting.

malec
Brand New Start

Post by malec »

new album is great

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Do you have it? I didn't realise it was out

EDIT - Just listened to Tread Lightly, I think that's enough of my face melted for one day...

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

It's streaming on iTunes. I won't be able to listen to it for a while but I'll be looking forward to reactions.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

devv88
Isolated

Post by devv88 »

It rules.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I just listened to it the first time. It's amazing. It's a lot to take in, especially the second half, but songs like Tread Lightly, Asleep In The Deep and Diamond In The Witch House stand out so far.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

It's a good album. I'll have to listen again because I kinda fell asleep some the first time...lol. But it's not because it was boring, it was just late and I was tired.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

There's a lot to take in with albums. It's definitely a good one. It feels a bit like they've tried to compile their sound across all their albums into one, while still progressing, and it works really well. Riff rise there's a bit of Leviathan in there, instrumentally it reminds you of Blood Mountain, with the straightforwardness of The Hunter. They've progressed greatly with choruses and melody, not only are these songs instrumentally awesome, they're fantastic vocally as well. There isn't a bad chorus on this album, I think bands like Alter Bridge would be in envy at some of these choruses. You've got the great instrumentals, along with really catchy melodies.

If Brann can drum and sing The Motherload live, then he may just be the greatest singer/drummer ever, I have no idea how he's going to do that. When it comes to guitar solos, I really don't pay much attention to them, I don't dislike them, but I don't particularly listen to them either, and I pay more attention to the song as a whole as compared to guitar solos, but Brent has some great guitar solos on this album that really make me pay attention, which not many guitarists do. I remember it was only when I watched him play Colony of the Birchmen live that I realised just how good he was.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/yR7icis_13M[/youtube]

They're playing really well nowadays, and they've just released what may stand up to be one of their best albums. Sounds like Bill is doing some clean backing vocals too!

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I finally streamed it on iTunes and I really enjoyed it. I agree with the impressions so far, that it combines some of the accessibility of The Hunter with some of the edge of Leviathan. I'll probably get it when it comes out.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I picked it up today and I'm really enjoying it. There hasn't been a bad spot yet, really. I was listening in the car so i don't know exactly where, but it started to sag near the middle but then some interesting instrumental variety picked it back up. So far, I'm impressed. I still fear it'll be a little too samey but it's definitely not too bad on that front if at all. Overall, it seems really good on first listen. I'm loving the vocals and they have an edge to their energy that they didn't have as much in The Hunter. I'm also getting the impression there's a bit more emotional depth to this album too, though there's also humorous songs like the single and whichever song has people in the background chanting. I can definitely see this climbing my year end favorites.

Lukeage
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Lukeage »

Came out in Australia last Friday, a week later I finally got around to buying it. Not disappointed at all. Solid album.

Saw them headline one of the stages of Soundwave Festival in February too.

Would go and see them again.

My first experience of Mastodon was buying The Hunter. The guy in a store in the city recommended it and even gave me a few bucks off it based on what I was looking at (and partly cos he liked my Aerosmith tee) and so he was like here... check it out. And if you don't like it, full refund.

Took him up on that, didn't return it! I also love "Crack the Skye". Great album. Need more. Blood Mountain will be next!

But Once More Round the Sun is awesome. Digging it. Recommended. Didn't even need any growing room. Instant winner with me.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/bNRehFSXJS4[/youtube]

Further clarification that Brann is an absolute beast!

According to the video description they'll be doing a full European tour next year, where they'll play the new album in its entirety. It's good that they're proud of the album, and I imagine it'll go over very well live.