The Official PEARL JAM thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

The Official PEARL JAM thread

Post by BSC »

Why are all these band threads official? Is to protect from imitations or something? Ah well, may as well follow the trend.

I'm seeing these guys tomorrow in Manchester for the first time, and I'm so excited. They are probably my all time favourite band, and they are by far the best live band I listen to. What I really like about Pearl Jam is that their sound is constantly changing, people moan that they don't sound like they did on Ten, but they moved away from that right away on Vs, which makes it really difficult to have a favourite album, as they're so different. Here's some of my favourite songs..

I planned to embed videos, but that screwed up, my favourites are Inside Job, Unthought Known, Present Tense, Corduroy, Rearviewmirror, Go, State of Love and Trust, Indifference if any of these are played tomorrow I'll be happy.

Vaux
Isolated

Re: The Official PEARL JAM thread

Post by Vaux »

I used to be a big Pearl Jam fan, but they just about lost me with all the political bullshit in the mid 2000's. With their last CD it seems they are getting back on track though. They are a great band and I saw them live in Pittsburgh back in 2000 I think it was. They played like 30 songs and it was one of the best concerts I have ever been to.

CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CreedFeed »

I've always liked the radio songs PJ has put out, but I was never a big fan or followed them that much. Then when they announced PJ20 was occurring in East Troy, WI I got tickets and started listening to their whole catalog. Became a huge fan since then. Finally saw them live for the first time at PJ20. I went to the second show and was impressed. They put on a great live show and now I can't wait to see them again!
-Steve
CreedFeed - Feeding Your Need For Creed!
QuakeOne - Quake 1 Resurrection!

ThravRande
Burn It Down

Post by ThravRande »

My roommate listens to them a lot. Love pretty much everything I've heard from him, just haven't taken the time to really look into them. What album(s) would you suggest to a new fan?
Myles Kennedy wrote:I think you're as sharp as.... whatever's sharp.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

BSC wrote:Why are all these band threads official?
To cut down on duplicate threads about the same band. It's just convenient to have official threads to post news & updates for each individual artist/band :)

CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CreedFeed »

ThravRande wrote:My roommate listens to them a lot. Love pretty much everything I've heard from him, just haven't taken the time to really look into them. What album(s) would you suggest to a new fan?
To hear all the singles and popular songs, checkout Rearviewmirror (the CD). Then start from the beginning... Ten, vs, Vitalogy... go on from there :)
-Steve

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

ThravRande wrote:My roommate listens to them a lot. Love pretty much everything I've heard from him, just haven't taken the time to really look into them. What album(s) would you suggest to a new fan?
Hmm.. The thing with Pearl Jam is, their albums are so different that it's difficult just to recommend one album. Most people think Ten is their best, but it's definately not very representative of their real sound. I really like Vs, it's got some of my favourite Pearl Jam songs on it. If I was you, I'd get their greatest hits CD Rearviewmirror, that's always a good start, and then possibly a live album like Live on Two Legs, because Pearl Jam are always better live, and this CD is from the 1998 where Eddie's voice is top notch.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

Going to see them tomorrow night, then twice next week :) I also saw Chris Cornell do an acoustic show last night, 2 and a half hours, 29 songs, it was fucking epic!

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Are you seeing Eddie Vedder solo? I know he's doing a few dates soon, I can't be assed to go, he's not playing close enough to me to feel tempted, and the tickets were more expensive than my Pearl Jam tickets were :L

I hope you enjoy it tomorrow, is it your first time seeing them?

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

Yeah I'm seeing Ed in London, I know what you mean about the price - don't get me started!

No I'm a long time fan, I guess this is around the tenth time I've seen them. I still don't think there's another live band like them on the planet!

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

:D Pearl Jam on Thursday for me :D then Soundgarden in July can't wait

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

Last night was incredible, a seriously energetic performance from the band, best I've heard Ed sound in a long while.

Roll on Amsterdam next week :D

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Last night was absolutely amazing, first Pearl Jam show and it definately won't be the last. Highlights were Black, Porch (this was incredible), Why Go, Insignificance, Immortality, Corduroy and State of Love and Trust. I'm reading updates on tonight's setlist right now, and it looks amazing, so many of my favourite songs on it, I was really tempted to just stay another night in Manchester, as seats were still available, but I've got an exam first thing tomorrow morning so I couldn't.

I thought the setlist was really good for last night, especially as it was my first show, got to hear all the hits, and some of my favourite songs. I was really hoping they would play Rearviewmirror, as that's my favourite song by them, but they didn't. If they play it tonight I'll be really envious, but I guess as a first PJ show you can't complain too much. Hearing the first few notes of Release was so good, I was almost in tears. I still can't believe I saw them. I've always said how good of a live band they are, without actually seeing them, and now, they are by far the best live band I have ever seen.

CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CreedFeed »

:)

PEARL JAM ANNOUNCES FALL 2013 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES
July 08 2013

PEARL JAM ANNOUNCES FALL 2013 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES

Tickets on sale Saturday, July 27

Pearl Jam announced today that they will embark on a two-leg, twenty-four date North American tour this fall. Leg one kicks-off in Pittsburgh on October 11 and wraps in New Orleans with the band's previously announced headlining performance at Voodoo Music + Arts Experience during the weekend of November 1. The second leg of the tour commences in Dallas on November 15 and closes in the band’s hometown of Seattle on December 6.

Public tickets for Pearl Jam's North American dates go on-sale Saturday, July 27 at 10:00 AM local time. Specific ticket on-sale times and locations will be announced in local markets. Tickets for Voodoo Music + Arts Experience are on sale now at www.thevoodooexperience.com.

A special ticket pre-sale drawing for current Pearl Jam Ten Club members (as of July 7, 2013) begins today. Please login to your account and visit www.pearljam.com/tickets for full details. The Fan Club tour announcement can be read by members only at http://pearljam.com/tenclub/events/1/21 ... r_announce

Watch Pearl Jam's tour announcement video at www.pearljam.com/countdown. Follow the latest with #PearlJam2013.

Pearl Jam’s North American tour dates are as follows:

DATE CITY VENUE
Oct-11 Pittsburgh, PA Consol Energy Center
Oct-12 Buffalo, NY First Niagara Center
Oct-15 Worcester, MA DCU Center
Oct-18 Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center
Oct-19 Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center
Oct-21 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center
Oct-22 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center
Oct-25 Hartford, CT XL Center
Oct-27 Baltimore, MD 1st Mariner Arena
Oct-29 Charlottesville, VA John Paul Jones Arena
Oct-30 Charlotte, NC Time Warner Cable Arena
Nov-1-3* New Orleans, LA Voodoo Music + Arts Experience

Nov-15 Dallas, TX American Airlines Arena
Nov-16 Oklahoma City, OK Chesapeake Energy Arena
Nov-19 Phoenix, AZ Jobing.com Arena
Nov-21 San Diego, CA Viejas Arena
Nov-23 Los Angeles, CA Sports Arena
Nov-24 Los Angeles, CA Sports Arena
Nov-26 Oakland, CA Oracle Arena
Nov-29 Portland, OR Rose Garden Arena
Nov-30 Spokane, WA Spokane Arena
Dec-2 Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome
Dec-4 Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena
Dec-6 Seattle, WA Key Arena

* Pearl Jam's specific performance date will be announced by Voodoo Music + Arts Experience over the coming months.

Pearl Jam's North American tour dates are in addition to the band's previously announced sold out concerts in London, Ontario (July 16) and Chicago, IL (July 19) as well as the band's headlining performance at Voodoo Music + Arts Experience in New Orleans (November 1-3) A full list of dates is available at www.pearljam.com/tour.
-Steve

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I'm a bit disappointed, I thought they were going to announce details for the new album! They had a countdown on their site, and hyped us all up just for some tour dates. But I guess tour dates are pretty hard to come by from Pearl Jam :lol, and there's another countdown on their site now.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/PK1njeQdAVk[/youtube]

There's some music in this video for a brief time, if that's a new song (I can't imagine they'd put any random song in there, just to piss off the fans), it sounds brilliant.

CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CreedFeed »

The new countdown (for tomorrow) should be new music and/or album. They are releasing a new song from what I've heard.
-Steve

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/DhODYyZVL6Y[/youtube]

That's the first single from the new album, Lightning Bolt due out October 15, 2013. I haven't listened to much Pearl Jam after Ten and a few songs from Vs., but I'm going to give their other albums a listen and check this one out when it comes out as well. This single is interesting, Eddie's voice sounds different to me, almost like another singer, I just can't put my finger on who.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

That song is absolutely brilliant. Sounds like Pearl Jam meets Megadeth. I wasn't too excited for their new album before, but after hearing this song I really can't wait for it now.

Inconquerable, Vs is my favourite album of theirs. Vitalogy is alright. No Code is decent but a bit too experimental. Yield is okay. Binaural is another great one. Riot Act is largely forgettable, their self-titled album has it's moments along with Backspacer. To be honest, their newer stuff isn't that great, and they have a large amount of forgettable songs, but they've got some really good songs as well. Plus they're one of the best live bands out their, who I'd recommend to anyone.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Cool song...kind of reminds me of Volbeat.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Count me in as another one who loves VS. the best. I not only like the songs, but the vibe of that record is great. I also like the very underappreciated Yield.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23