The Official PEARL JAM thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The Official PEARL JAM thread

Post by Timotheus »

The song itself it pretty good. As for the direction, I like that they switched things up, but I think it's a bit too clean for my taste. It doesn't sound "live" or as raw as I'd expect from a band like Pearl Jam. Especially the instruments are not as agitative as Eddie's voice.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

So is Myles! :eek

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I heard the song that was released today and it sounded pretty awful to be honest.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Its weird. I was exposed to Pearl Jam before STP and Creed. I remember seriously wanting to love them in high school, but no matter how hard I tried they never resonated with me like with the aforementioned bands. With Gigaton being released I've decided to revisit the band's entire (studio) discography and see what clicks and what doesn't now that I'm no longer 16/17. Gigaton sucks. I only liked Dance of the Clairvoyants, Quick Escape and Take the Long Way.

Ten is almost perfect but I could do without the last three songs. I think State of Love and Trust, Hold On, Brother, Wash, and Just a Girl could have easily swapped Deep and Garden. I also think Yellow Ledbetter should have closed the album over Release.

Vs. is perfect, I love every single song and am sad I didn't buy this album while I was in high school. I like half of Vitalogy, and almost all of Lightning Bolt. But Lightning Bolt suffers from the same positive bias Proof of Life has because it reminds me of my first semester of college. haha

I know a song or two off every other release but I'm going to dive deep into each album to truly get a grasp of what I'm hearing like I did with the five I mentioned above. If there's any Pearl Jam fans in this group that want to add a critique or piece of information that may be helpful when exploring their discography by all means feel free!

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Animal from their Vs album is truly solid.

I think Pearl Jam definelty have some good songs.

My main issue is that Eddie mumbles instead of sings a lot. It’s kinda annoying. That’s his style tho I guess.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Right song title I guess!

Post by Inconquerable »

Wash is a top Pearl Jam song for sure. Lost Dogs has a lot of songs that I like actually.

I started listening to Gigaton last week but moved on pretty quickly and haven't even really thought about it since. I think I got up to Alright maybe?

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Love boat captain

Devil Inside You
Isolated

For any Creed fans in this thread, how did the whole "Pearl Jam vs Creed" thing affect your perception of either band? If at all?

When I was in high school, basically every band with a baritone vocal was seen as an imitation of Pearl Jam. It wasn't until this passed decade where bands like Days of the New, Stone Temple Pilots and Creed were looked at as something beyond Pearl Jam clones. When I was a Nu-metal freak, and a casual fan of Creed and Pearl Jam I remember not being really fazed by one or the other. My classmates weren't much different but liking Pearl Jam was cool and Creed was not. Which is weird cause as an outsider they weren't much different from each other aside from the energy behind the songs (Even Flow, Jeremy vs What's This Life For, With Arms Wide Open to be specific).

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Even at the time, I thought it was kinda stupid.

Bands always get compared to what came before, I guess.

Incubus vs hoobastank , Bush vs Nirvana etc.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Not Pearl Jam exactly... but an upbeat tune from Mr Vedder :)

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Invincible, The Haves and another song kicked major ass. Aside from those three I liked this about as much as Gigaton.

I think the best thing about this album is it features Eddie working with the Chili Peppers as his backing band. Really shows his versatility with a new band