The Official PEARL JAM thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: The Official PEARL JAM thread

Post by Inconquerable »

BSC wrote:That song is absolutely brilliant. Sounds like Pearl Jam meets Megadeth. I wasn't too excited for their new album before, but after hearing this song I really can't wait for it now.

Inconquerable, Vs is my favourite album of theirs. Vitalogy is alright. No Code is decent but a bit too experimental. Yield is okay. Binaural is another great one. Riot Act is largely forgettable, their self-titled album has it's moments along with Backspacer. To be honest, their newer stuff isn't that great, and they have a large amount of forgettable songs, but they've got some really good songs as well. Plus they're one of the best live bands out their, who I'd recommend to anyone.
Cool thanks for the recommendations! I like a few songs on Vs. but thought Ten was better overall. This was a while ago though so I'm going to give all of the albums another go. I love how often they're on tour and how they change their sets every night.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Guessing the lyrics to Yellow Ledbetter is still a fun game.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Very unimpressive single.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

^^^^^^

I like it good enough - not mind blowing, but a short sharp kick to the face none the less, it's nice to hear them sounding energised.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Pearl Jam played another two new songs last night. They sound good to me, I think the 3 songs we've got so far indicate that Lightning Bolt will be a much better album than Backspacer, Future Days needs to be grow on me though, it'll probably be better on the album. Apparently during the show, they had to stop for two hours 5 songs in because of band weather, so to make up for it they played until 2am! They played 30 songs, but it's just a shame that their original planned setlist had 40 songs!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/LZBNCrU6CF4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/cHrjeV_-nss[/youtube]

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Guessing the lyrics to Yellow Ledbetter is still a fun game.

Aiuuuuuuugh a ayyyyyyyyyye... I don't wanna staaaaaaaaaaay!
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Two new demos have leaked, they sound really good. http://www.sendspace.com/file/qanieg

Apparently they're from 2005, but it seems too coincidental that these demos leak now, just when the Pearl Jam hype is building.

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

Andy92 wrote:Cool song...kind of reminds me of Volbeat.
Andy, I owe you a thank you. It was because of this post that I said... "Who's Volbeat?" and YouTube'd them, and I think I like them a lot!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

No problem! Awesome live band if you ever get the chance to see them. They covered part of Johnny Cash and Slayer in the same set. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, I saw them live a few weeks ago. I thought it was ironic that the crowd was more into those covers than their own songs..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CreedFeed »

The link to the demos doesn't work... anyone got another link?
-Steve
CreedFeed - Feeding Your Need For Creed!
QuakeOne - Quake 1 Resurrection!

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Four songs have leaked: Getaway; Lightning Bolt; Let the Records Play; and Swallowed Whole.

Getaway is my favourite, and I think it opens the album. It's more mid-tempo than most of their album openers, it's a bit more groove-orientated and bass heavy, it gets pretty rocking towards the end. The outro is similar to Rearviewmirror, but not as heavy.

Lightning Bolt is pretty good, not much different than the live version, seems like a heavier Unthought Known. It does fade out rather soon though.

Let the Records Play is cool, more groove-orientated again. The guitar work occasionally reminds me of one of Mastodon's more quirkier riffs on the Leviathan album.

Swallowed Whole is the least impressive of the four, I don't really remember much from it, so I'll have to listen to it again, although I can't complain about it.

The leaked songs sound terrible quality-wise, and it's a bit of shame my first listen of these songs are of such bad quality, but I just couldn't resist listening to the leaks :lol. The vocals are much more impactful on the music in comparison to Backspacer, due to the melodies and vocal delivery. It also seems like Jeff has a bigger role on these songs too.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/7hJR9LrCpj4[/youtube]

For what they gave us it sounds cool. Looking forward to hearing it on the 19th.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

Hear Sirens in full: http://www.strobe.pt/fresh/musica/ouve- ... rens/20660

That's right folks, a great big radio ballad from Pearl Jam, who'd have thunk it?!

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/qQXP6TDtW0w[/youtube]

I haven't watched/listened yet but I figured I'd post it up for anyone who wants to see it.

CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CreedFeed »

I'm digging the new single "Sirens"
-Steve
CreedFeed - Feeding Your Need For Creed!
QuakeOne - Quake 1 Resurrection!

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

That song is great, I love it. Sounds a bit like Nickelback, but NB wish they could write like this.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

BSC wrote:That song is great, I love it. Sounds a bit like Nickelback, but NB wish they could write like this.
The piano is straight out of November Rain! I fucking love it though, Ed's voice sounds incredible, it's like he's rolled back the years, absolutely flawless.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I really like Sirens, I've listened to it many times today. The harmonies with Matt are really cool too, I've never noticed his voice so much in a song. This is probably one of their best songs, although I think the comparisons I've read to Black are a bit far fetched.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

I listened to Sirens and Black back to back and they're not on the same level. As someone who is very much a Ten/Vs. Pearl Jam fan (I still haven't caught up on their discography yet, though the songs from the Merkin Ball EP are excellent), Sirens isn't something I would have expected from them. It's good but it's not what I would think of as a Pearl Jam song based on my limited listening. Black is on a totally different level, you cannot duplicate the raw emotion in that song.

I'm going to definitely check out this album though, I'm a big fan of Mind Your Manners, I hope there are more punk-influenced songs on Lightning Bolt as well.

EDIT: Listening to Sirens again, the solo is great but the way it ends bugs me. It does the echo thing and then just stops, not a fan.