The Official PEARL JAM thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
facepollution
Bought The CDs

Re: The Official PEARL JAM thread

Post by facepollution »

BSC wrote:I really like Sirens, I've listened to it many times today. The harmonies with Matt are really cool too, I've never noticed his voice so much in a song. This is probably one of their best songs, although I think the comparisons I've read to Black are a bit far fetched.
I'm pretty sure the album cut is all Ed's voice, while the live cut in the video is with Matt. All sounds good to my ears though.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Not really a fan of this band, but I do like Sirens. Great song.

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Tjcrvz0X25Q[/youtube]

CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CreedFeed »

The entire album is up on iTunes for streaming for free! http://www.itunes.com/pearljam

This album is amazing. Dare I say, it's better than Fortress! :eek Definitely album of the year material.
-Steve
CreedFeed - Feeding Your Need For Creed!
QuakeOne - Quake 1 Resurrection!

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

The album is brilliant, I haven't been so pleased with a new album for a long time, I'd even say it's the most pleased I've ever been. It's everything you want from a Pearl Jam album, without it sounding rehashed

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

I posted my review in the review topic but overall I'm just meh on it to be honest. I don't know if maybe I was expecting something else from them or what but it just didn't do it for me like I hoped it would. Pendulum is a really good song though.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Well written review, but I think you need to give this album a few more listens. I don't know what you were expecting, but PJ never write the same twice, yet Lightning Bolt has everything you want from a PJ album, unlike Backspacer where the songs were just so short and underdeveloped.

I'm a big Pearl Jam fan, and I admit that I was underwhelmed when listening to Riot Act, Binaural, Yield and No Code (in some ways, I still don't get this album, great songs, but bad album flow), and now I think they're really good. Pearl Jam albums do need time to settle and grow on you. I think Lightning Bolt may be one of their best albums along with Vs and Binaural, although I don't wanna get too hyped up considering it's not even out yet :lol

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

Thanks! Yeah I'm not sure what my expectations were either, but I will give the album a couple more listens and see from there. =)

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I'm really enjoying Lightning Bolt, it's early days, but I think it may be one of their best albums. It starts off so strongly, the first 7 songs are all fantastic. I think it starts to slip after a while, and while Sleeping By Myself is good, I don't see why they couldn't have put a completely new song in its place. The album version of Sirens is good, the drums have more presence, but Ed's harmonisation with himself is a bit disappointing as compared to the live version.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

I kind of agree on Sleeping By Myself, I don't dislike it, but I don't really understand why they would put it on there.

Strong album though - right now my favourites are: Getaway, Yellow Moon, Sirens, Infallible and Pendulum.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/W7x4ko-dD-U[/youtube]

This version of Betterman is brilliant. I love how Pearl Jam are able to revisit their older songs and re-do them like this, they've done it Lukin, In My Tree, WMA, Jeremy and Corduroy to give a few more examples. Then they're able to improve the songs during the live performances with songs like Rearviewmirror (my favourite song of theirs) and Immortality.

They're planning a European tour in 2014, I would love to see them again.

~Fallen Angel~
TABN.com Citizen

Post by ~Fallen Angel~ »

LOVE LOVE this new cd. Getaway is my fav so far. Very very excellent.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/BX5PBBYzyU8[/youtube]

Pearl Jam + Glen Hansard = :cheers

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Love the way Eddie sings this section of Sirens :)

For every choice, mistake I've made it's not my plan
To send you in the arms of another man
And if you choose to stay I'll wait, I'll understand

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: I've tried, people I really have!

Post by Inconquerable »

Bumping this thread from almost seven years ago! Anybody have any thoughts on the new single? I'm... not really into it. I want to like it, I just really don't.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: thats the only song I know from them

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Inconquerable wrote:Bumping this thread from almost seven years ago! Anybody have any thoughts on the new single? I'm... not really into it. I want to like it, I just really don't.
Not as good as Even Flow :lol

Every time a song like Dance of The Clairvoyants is played on the local rock radio station here I just :facepalm because while its made by a rock band as notorious as Pearl Jam I just find myself thinking it sounds too poppy :shrug

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Grunge is a dirty word.

Post by Inconquerable »

Dig into Pearl Jam, Shea, the first two albums are really good. Don't know if you're into grunge really or not but they're good albums. Probably the most rock-centric of the big four grunge bands.

The drum loops are definitely poppy, which is probably why it's the first single. Matt Cameron actually plays them, but they were programmed initially or something like that. I don't know, it just doesn't do anything for me at all.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Inconquerable wrote:Dig into Pearl Jam, Shea, the first two albums are really good. Don't know if you're into grunge really or not but they're good albums. Probably the most rock-centric of the big four grunge bands.

The drum loops are definitely poppy, which is probably why it's the first single. Matt Cameron actually plays them, but they were programmed initially or something like that. I don't know, it just doesn't do anything for me at all.
I kinda view PJ as my dads era rock band so I'm less inclined to listen to them cause I wasnt growing up in the hay day of PJ :shrug Their music is too old for me now :lol

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:
Inconquerable wrote:Dig into Pearl Jam, Shea, the first two albums are really good. Don't know if you're into grunge really or not but they're good albums. Probably the most rock-centric of the big four grunge bands.

I kinda view PJ as my dads era rock band so I'm less inclined to listen to them cause I wasnt growing up in the hay day of PJ :shrug Their music is too old for me now :lol
Jebus, their peak was in the 90s. We were born in the 90s! You think 10 years from now, people are going to view bands like Korn, System of a Down, Disturbed, Nickelback, Creed, etc. as oldie bands? Oh goodness. It's already started, isn't it? Heck, 10 years from now if they make it that far, AB would be 26 years old......

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Re: Not taking any chances here!

Post by Inconquerable »

anguyen92 wrote:
SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:

Jebus, their peak was in the 90s. We were born in the 90s! You think 10 years from now, people are going to view bands like Korn, System of a Down, Disturbed, Nickelback, Creed, etc. as oldie bands? Oh goodness. It's already started, isn't it? Heck, 10 years from now if they make it that far, AB would be 26 years old......
The 90s was three decades ago. Eddie's in his 50s! We're all getting old. =(

Also, when AB makes it that far you mean!