The Official BLACK STONE CHERRY Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Dayviewer
Isolated

Re: The Official BLACK STONE CHERRY Thread

Post by Dayviewer »

They will never fully win me back until they release this masterpiece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsd7C3dMvEY

It was one of the songs they had for the 3rd record, before the external writers came in and, well you know...
I'd love to hear the rest of the demos they had lying around back then too.
Formerly known as Benjami

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Folklore has always been FAR been my favorite. I've only heard Kentucky once all the way through. It's definately #2. Some great tracks. Given time we'll see if it becomes my favorite.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

Dayviewer wrote:They will never fully win me back until they release this masterpiece:

It was one of the songs they had for the 3rd record, before the external writers came in and, well you know...
Before I clicked the link, I was like, "This is going to be 'Lay the Sun to Rest', isn't it..." And it was :D I'd love to hear a studio recording of that one. It would have fit perfectly on Kentucky. 'Silver Smiles' was my favorite demo of theirs. I think that's where they got the 'Change' intro from.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

"War" is... pretty special. The hook is pretty cringey and could have come from some 12 year old.

Dayviewer
Isolated

Post by Dayviewer »

Listening to the album now (it's out on Spotify), will post my thoughts after a few days.
Mr. Slash wrote:"War" is... pretty special. The hook is pretty cringey and could have come from some 12 year old.
Learn your classics sir, this is a cover ;)
Formerly known as Benjami

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Dayviewer wrote:Listening to the album now (it's out on Spotify), will post my thoughts after a few days.
Mr. Slash wrote:"War" is... pretty special. The hook is pretty cringey and could have come from some 12 year old.
Learn your classics sir, this is a cover ;)
Well, this explains why it's so trivial. :D

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, after finishing listening to the album, here's my thoughts. I don't think it topped my favorite album from them, Folklore and Superstition, and I honestly be lying if I say they came close, but damn, this is a good album. Much more enjoyable than their last two. What I like most about it is that they somewhat regained their southern rock-ish charm that I just liked about their earlier stuff. The Spotify bonus tracks are solid as well with Evil being a weirdly structured track for them, I like it.

Also, I liked the War cover. Found myself singing along to it on first listen. In fact, I'm going to hear it now. Does justice to the original.

Favorites: Long Ride, Rescue Me, Darkest Secret, Born to Die, and The Rambler.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

I don't know why but I have problems enjoying this album. Many songs sound so uninspired. Nothing more than a 7/10 album for me. Maybe my opinion will change after listening to it more often. At least it's better than the last two albums, especially the guitars sound really cool.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Dayviewer wrote:They will never fully win me back until they release this masterpiece:

I was reading an interview with Chris where he said they also wrote In Our Dreams for their third album. I wonder what kind of direction they were going in with their third album before the producers and writers got involved.

My preorder of the album didn't arrive, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting so much from it after Magic Mountain and the third one, but I'm really enjoying the new album. There are a lot of great songs on it, and even the songs that didn't jump out that much after the first time still had some really cool moments.

The best song is easily Rescue Me. I'm listening to that song for the second time now and it's still as amazing as I remembered. That intro had so much impact :cloud9

Soul Machine and Feelin' Fuzzy both are both great as well. The War cover is stupidly entertaining and The Rambler is a great closer. Really happy with this album.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

For all of the crap that Between the Devil gets, there are some good ballsy tracks on there. Killing Floor and Such a Shame are amazingly raw rock tunes. There is alot of over produced studio fluff on there, but yeah, I do enjoy it more than some I guess.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

In My Blood and Like I Roll are both great songs as well. A lot of forgettable songs on that album though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That's how I feel about the 3rd album as well. It has some of my favorite BSC songs on it, but it also has a handful of forgettable ones. Folklore is my favorite like most seem to say...am I the only one who isn't too big a fan of their 1st album? I just feel like Folklore is much better. Magic Mountain is my least favorite. Still have to give the new one a listen.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

I just finished listening to the album a little bit ago, and I really enjoyed it! Like Timotheus said, even the songs that didn't stand out as much still had some great moments in them. Rescue Me might just be my favorite as well. That track 8-9 area on albums is usually where I decide if I should keep going or take a break. Then Rescue Me comes on and it blew me away! My other favorites after first listen are probably... heck, after looking at the track list I'd probably end up picking most of the songs!

I also love that they covered War. Honestly, I don't even know if I had heard the original before (my only memory of it is when Elaine mentioned it on Seinfeld :lol ), but I'm just so happy to see them go out of their comfort zone and do something like that. And yes, I'll definitely check out the original later.

I don't know how I'd rank the albums just yet. All I know is that Black Stone Cherry, Folklore, and Kentucky would easily be in the top three.

Oh! I forgot I still need to get the bonus songs :D
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

anguyen92 wrote: Favorites: Long Ride, Rescue Me, Darkest Secret, Born to Die, and The Rambler.
You have good taste sir, they're my favourite too!

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

My initial favourite was Rescue Me, because of its '12th fret' style riff.. But that changed when Darkest Secret was played more and more. It has EVERYTHING.. It's got a great 3/5 fret riff and drum track to it.. It's got that beautiful backing to the verses, that fits so well with the melody of the lyrics, couldn't have imagined a better guitar part there.. It has the HUGE chorus melody, I love how Chris made 'eyes' higher than the rest of the line like he has, it's gorgeous. It could've been kept quite flat like the other words in the line but it rises up and makes the melody soar! Then there's the piercing solo and outro riff...?? It's just amazing. I'm so proud of them for putting it together.. It was a song that I hadn't heard before I got my copy. I think it's possibly one of their best ever songs!

Long Ride means alot to me as I personally helped Chris develop the song on the bus, just the 2 of us sat there letting it unravel.. The process of moving it from his wife, to his grandpa was tough on him but it was beautiful to hear that chorus melody for the first time. Gave us both shivers

Soul Machine will be the biggest single from the album as it's SO catchy, just like Blame It On The Boom Boom.. Mark my words, it will be HUGE. At live shows especially

The story behind The Rambler is a classic part of rock and roll history. I'm SO proud of Jasin it's getting heard all over the world

Born To Die is actually a type of song I'd really like to hear 3 Doors Down do, something ballsy that tells a story with a great message

Shakin' My Cage has one of my favourite melodies, it reminds me of being out on the road with them and waking up to Chris working on it at his laptop, that chorus always stayed with me. We'd go over possible solos and lyrics for the verses over and over. Good memories from this song

Way Of The Future, for me, I don't really like being on the album.. Much like War. I wouldn't miss them if they'd been left out. Personal preference, they're the 2 I skip completely really.

I'm glad Cheaper To Drink Alone is on there too, they needed that country style song in there

Those are my standout opinions on the the album, I have a million more thoughts when listening to it but that's all I have to say about that, for now

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

@Jim what kind of connection do you have with BSC that you even help him write songs?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Nick_917 wrote:I also love that they covered War. Honestly, I don't even know if I had heard the original before (my only memory of it is when Elaine mentioned it on Seinfeld :lol ), but I'm just so happy to see them go out of their comfort zone and do something like that. And yes, I'll definitely check out the original later.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/r-bA9FYB8HY[/youtube]

:D
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Mr. Slash wrote:@Jim what kind of connection do you have with BSC that you even help him write songs?
I've known the guys since 2007, we're very close. Last year they hired me as road crew and I've been out on 4 tours with them. The drummer, John Fred Young, i consider to be one of my best friends.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Soul Machine is giving me a Silvertide vibe, especially in the "S.O.U.L. machine" part. Love it.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.