The Official LACEY STURM Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
AHart96
Rise Today

The Official LACEY STURM Thread

Post by AHart96 »

I know we have a bunch of Flyleaf fans on here, and for those who are unaware, Lacey has a new solo album coming out on Feb. 12th. Really enjoy Impossible, digging some of these other songs. Sound off and enjoy the album!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/uzVqIzqKclc[/youtube]
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: The Official LACEY STURM Thread

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Cool! Thanks, AHart! Looking forward to it! Based on the previews, I really like

The Soldier
Rot
You're Not Alone

The rest are still good, though.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I've already got my CD pre-ordered, and it should come in on release day. I've only heard Impossible, and I'll probably stay away from the previews and stuff throughout the week.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Full album on Youtube!
[youtube]http://youtu.be/Y0QTtUdQl0c[/youtube]

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Immediately bought on iTunes, awesome album. After one listen:

1. Life Screams
2. Feels Like Forever
3. Impossible
4. Vanity/Rot
5. You're Not Alone
6. I'm Not Laughing
7. The Soldier
8. Roxanne
9. Run To You
10. Faith

Will probably change a lot after more listens, but for the most part I REALLY enjoyed what I heard. Can't wait to go to Best Buy tomorrow to pick up my physical copy for the car
Rock Never Dies

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AHart96 wrote:Immediately bought on iTunes, awesome album. After one listen:

1. Life Screams
2. Feels Like Forever
3. Impossible
4. Vanity/Rot
5. You're Not Alone
6. I'm Not Laughing
7. The Soldier
8. Roxanne
9. Run To You
10. Faith

Will probably change a lot after more listens, but for the most part I REALLY enjoyed what I heard. Can't wait to go to Best Buy tomorrow to pick up my physical copy for the car
:yeahthat I pretty much agree with you on the rankings except I'd switch numbers 5&7 around

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Run To You is definitely in my top 3. I'll rank them all later once I listen to it some more. Impossible was the only song I had listened to before tonight.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Run To You is so beautiful. I could never grow tired of it. Love the album. Don't want to rank it until a few listens though. But easily a great album
Thanks Andy!

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I was just listening to this album and figured that people on this board should check it out. Guess you already have! :) I have a weakness for Lacey's voice, ever since I heard Flyleaf. Glad to see her back in her rocking roots, and with some amazing songwriting as well. Enjoyed the first listen a lot!

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

She has a very unique voice. There's something about the way she says "yeah I might die today, but I'm gonna die anyway" that I love. Record reminds me of Skillet at times.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Alright, I've had a few days and a dozen (plus) or so listens at this point, so I'm comfortable reviewing this for real. What an amazing album. Memento Mori was by far my favorite Flyleaf album, and Life Screams offers some major competition for that top spot. It's such a consistent album from top to bottom, there doesn't feel like there are any throwaway songs. The songwriting here is top notch, I feel it was a fantastic idea for Lacey to write with Korey Cooper of Skillet, they created some amazing things. Now on to a song-by-song ranking along with some thoughts:

1. You're Not Alone-Such a beautiful song. I liked the preview, but didn't LOVE it. That quickly changed once I heard the whole song and had the lyrics in front of me. This song has moved me to tears multiple times, I already have this in the "play at my funeral" category along with In Loving Memory. It's THAT good in my opinion. 10/10.

2. Vanity/Rot-I know these are two "separate" tracks on the album, but they deserve to be heard together as one whole song. The dialogue between Lacey and rapper Propaganda during Vanity is very intense, and perfectly leads into arguanly the heaviest song on Life Screams. The band is really tight during Rot, and it contains a standout vocal and lyrical performance from Lacey. 10/10.

3. Life Screams-another beautiful song, this was my favorite after my first couple of listens. The pre-chorus/first part of the chorus (??) gives me goosebumps thanks to Lacey's vocals (surprise, surprise). A little less emotional and memorable as You're Not Alone, but it's still a great song. 9.5/10.

4. Feels Like Forever-I've had the chance to listen to this song for a while now, and I truly believe it is better fitted for lead single than Impossible was. Another strong perfromance from the band as a whole, and this song contains probably the most anthemic chorus on the album. And I'm all for big, anthemic choruses. 9/10

5. Impossible-I immediately fell in love with this song way back when it was released as a single in late 2015, so it's ranking is definitely affected by the number of listens I gave it before the album was released. GREAT guitar work from Josh here, vintage Lacey screams for those who enjoy them, another anthemic chorus, and pretty good lyrics. Solid choice for first single and a good way to start the album. 8.5/10.

6. I'm Not Laughing-Originally was NOT a big fan of the song (Shea knows :lol ), but it's grown on me. Solid guitar work and lyrics, I'm all for addressing the topic of bullying as I consider it an important issue, however I'm still not the biggest fan of Lacey's delivery during a couple of lines, but it's still a solid song. 7.5/10.

7. The Soldier-wasn't sure what to think about this song when the previews were released. I didn't like the vibe of the verse, but again, I just needed to listen to the full thing. This song rocks, I can imagine this being a fun one for the crowd at live shows. The only reason it's this far down on my list is because of how awesome the other songs are. 7/10.

8. Roxanne-I'm weird about people putting live recordings on studio albums, especially covers, but I liked this. It doesn't sound too bad, and the band certainly put a nice twist on the original song. Much slower and heavier, which is all good with me. The screaming is a bit much for me at times, but that's just my taste. Solid performance. 7/10.

9. Run To You-I know there a couple of you who feel very strongly about this song in the same way I do about You're Not Alone, but I'm not quite there yet. I can contribute that to not listening to it as much as other songs. It's a little too slow for me despite beautiful lyrics. I was waiting for it to kick to that "NEXT gear", it just hasn't gotten there for me yet. 7/10.

10. Faith-very very Flyleaf sounding to me. I can't put my finger on it, but I feel like I've heard parts of this song before. It's not a bad song, it just faces so much strong competition fro the others. It's also placed in a pretty poor spot IMO. The stretch from Vanity/Rot through Life Screams is absolutely amazing, and it's tough to follow. I feel this is where the album started to drop off just a tiny bit. 6/10.

If my math is right, I would rate this album 81.5/100,
which sounds about right. Great album that I'll be listening to for years to come. If you haven't
listened yet, do yourself a favor an GO CHECK OUT THIS ALBUM!
Rock Never Dies

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Just finished listening to it. I agree Feels Like Forever should've been the single. It's way better than Impossible.

Run to You is great. I also liked Vanity + Rot and Faith. The Roxanne cover was pretty entertaining. For the rest it's okay.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:She has a very unique voice. There's something about the way she says "yeah I might die today, but I'm gonna die anyway" that I love. Record reminds me of Skillet at times.
Like Ahart said, she actually co-wrote some songs with Korey Cooper for this album. So good ears. :lol

I'll try to list a ranking of all the songs soon. I've listened to the album a few times now.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I've listened to the album a handful of times since its release. Here's my list of favorites in order as of right now.

1. Life Screams
2. Run to You
3. You're Not Alone
4. The Soldier
5. Impossible
6. Vanity/Rot
7. Feels Like Forever
8. Faith
9. I'm Not Laughing
10. Roxanne

Having Feels Like Forever and Faith that low makes me realize how much I like this record. The only song I'll skip sometimes is the Roxanne cover. It's actually a really solid performance of the song, and I think she picked that cover for a specific reason because it lyrically fits with the theme of the album.

The title track is one of the best songs Lacey has ever written. The lyrics are poignant and her voice really takes the song to another level. Overall, this is one of my favorite albums to come out in a while.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Now that you all seem to fall in love with that album, I have to give it a shot.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

My review of the album got published on UG if anyone wants to check it out.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews ... index.html

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I got to see Lacey play at Rock on the Range today, and her band put on a really good show. Lacey's voice sounded really good, and the set had a good mix of songs from her solo album plus a handful of Flyleaf songs. Loved getting to hear All Around Me and I'm So Sick.

I met Lacey after her set and got her autograph. She's really been the highlight of my weekend here so far. She's such a genuine artist and it shows with how she performs and talks to fans.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Andy92 wrote:I got to see Lacey play at Rock on the Range today, and her band put on a really good show. Lacey's voice sounded really good, and the set had a good mix of songs from her solo album plus a handful of Flyleaf songs. Loved getting to hear All Around Me and I'm So Sick.

I met Lacey after her set and got her autograph. She's really been the highlight of my weekend here so far. She's such a genuine artist and it shows with how she performs and talks to fans.
This reminds me of how Adam left Three Days Grace but is still able to play some of the three days grace stuff like solo, or whatever.

This confuses me. Would the band members have a problem if he played a song solo, that the band co-wrote? I mean, if he wrote the whole song himself from TDG and he plays that song that he totally wrote himself, I could see that. But i mean, he did leave the band.

What, are band members totally cool nowadays with letting the lead singer who left their band sing some of their songs even tho they wrote said song as a whole band (etc)? (for example)

????

I mean, I'm sure that's what is happening nowadays, but idk, arent maybe some bands maybe upset about that type of thing happening?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It's a standard protocol. Some people can play the songs that they had a hand in creating even after they left the band. The most common example is, of course, Slash playing GNR songs when he's playing with Myles and the Conspirators and he was gone from GNR for 15+ years at that point.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Well with Lacey she mainly left Flyleaf because she wanted to be with her kids more. They were actually on stage with her yesterday, and her husband is the bass player in her band, so you can tell this is a much more family oriented thing for her. Sameer from Flyleaf was at the side of the stage yesterday too and Lacey pointed him out for the crowd to acknowledge. So Lacey leaving Flyleaf didn't really have bad blood from what I understand. Family was just more important to Lacey, and Flyleaf took time away from that.

For a lot of other bands, it can be kind of odd I guess depending on the circumstance, but artists are going to play what the audience wants to hear.