Post-grunge & Modern Hark Rock of 00's

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post-grunge & Modern Hark Rock of 00's

Post by CreedFeed »

Lately I've been listening to the same music/bands on a rotation and have been getting kind of bored with it so I wanted to try to mix things up. I started remembering some of the bands I listened to in the late 90's and early/mid 00's - the post-grunge and modern hardrock scene. I know most of the big name bands but I feel like I've missed a ton of lesser known or "one-hit wonder" type bands. Can anyone help fill in some gaps? Here's a list of some of the bands I've got so far. And I've purposefully left off the big names (like for example post-grunge bands like Creed, 3 Doors Down, etc. that lead that late 90's early 00's charge). Looking for stuff similar to these... and I'm sure you'll see a pattern between the bands I'm listing if you were from the same era as me :)

Brother Cane
The Nixons
Better Than Ezra
Caroline's Spine
The Verve Pipe
Nine Days
Athenaeum
Splender
Greenwheel
8Stops7
Doubledrive
Injected
Dust For Life
Full Devil Jacket
Audiovent
Socialburn
Stereomud
U.P.O.
Atomship
Taproot
Earshot (one of my favs)
Adema
Spineshank
Ra
-Steve
CreedFeed - Feeding Your Need For Creed!
QuakeOne - Quake 1 Resurrection!

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Re: Post-grunge & Modern Hark Rock of 00's

Post by Devil Inside You »

I'm gonna spend forever browsing through the artists you mentioned. I haven't heard of most of these but as someone real into Post Grunge I know I'll like at least a handful. I don't think any of the albums I'll mention will be ones you haven't heard before but here are some of my personal gems.

ANOTHER ANIMAL!!!!! I was so surprised to not see them in your list. They are as obscure as many of the bands you mentioned and they are fantastic Post Grunge. If you look at nothing else from my suggestions please at least check out Another Animal :)

Tantric (self titled) and After we Go are two definitive Post Grunge albums. Self titled is basically the southern response to the genre and After we Go is the vocals of Creed with the melodies of Alice in Chains

Something Like Human and Natural Selection by Fuel are in line with anything Creed did. I always considered Natural Selection to be a good companion album to My Own Prison given how dark both records are from beginning to end.

Spreading My Wings by World Fire Brigade is Brett Scallions with Sean Danielson of Smile Empty Soul

Into the Sun by Candlebox is a great hard rock record from beginning to end.

Shaman's Harvest from Shine onward is fantastic Post Grunge. Very similar to Tantric, and Smokin Hearts & Broken Guns was one of my favorite rock records from the passed decade.

Come Clean by Puddle of Mudd. Memes about Wes Scantlin aside, the songwriting is very well done for the genre its in. The album also doesn't pretend to be something its not. Conceptually it follows a similar pattern to Core by Stone Temple Pilots.

Submersed is a band I have partly listened to but their sound is in line with what you enjoy.

Red Sun Rising is modern Grunge and Post Grunge. Proof the genre is still alive to some degree.

They're more Grunge but PAW is an amazingly underrated band, and Godzillionaire is awesome too.

Of course I'll always suggest Days of the New but most people know them at this point. I know there's more I can name but these are my highlights. Let me know what you think and happy listening! :)

CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CreedFeed »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, I've been listening to a lot of Default, lately. Remember those guys?
Yeah, I would consider them one of the more popular bands right behind 3 Doors Down. The singer from Default went to country music for awhile. Default just put out a new EP in 2018 "Re-cuts" which were different versions of some of their popular songs.
-Steve

CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CreedFeed »

Devil Inside You wrote:I'm gonna spend forever browsing through the artists you mentioned. I haven't heard of most of these but as someone real into Post Grunge I know I'll like at least a handful. I don't think any of the albums I'll mention will be ones you haven't heard before but here are some of my personal gems.

ANOTHER ANIMAL!!!!! I was so surprised to not see them in your list. They are as obscure as many of the bands you mentioned and they are fantastic Post Grunge. If you look at nothing else from my suggestions please at least check out Another Animal :)

Tantric (self titled) and After we Go are two definitive Post Grunge albums. Self titled is basically the southern response to the genre and After we Go is the vocals of Creed with the melodies of Alice in Chains

Something Like Human and Natural Selection by Fuel are in line with anything Creed did. I always considered Natural Selection to be a good companion album to My Own Prison given how dark both records are from beginning to end.

Spreading My Wings by World Fire Brigade is Brett Scallions with Sean Danielson of Smile Empty Soul

Into the Sun by Candlebox is a great hard rock record from beginning to end.

Shaman's Harvest from Shine onward is fantastic Post Grunge. Very similar to Tantric, and Smokin Hearts & Broken Guns was one of my favorite rock records from the passed decade.

Come Clean by Puddle of Mudd. Memes about Wes Scantlin aside, the songwriting is very well done for the genre its in. The album also doesn't pretend to be something its not. Conceptually it follows a similar pattern to Core by Stone Temple Pilots.

Submersed is a band I have partly listened to but their sound is in line with what you enjoy.

Red Sun Rising is modern Grunge and Post Grunge. Proof the genre is still alive to some degree.

They're more Grunge but PAW is an amazingly underrated band, and Godzillionaire is awesome too.

Of course I'll always suggest Days of the New but most people know them at this point. I know there's more I can name but these are my highlights. Let me know what you think and happy listening! :)
Red Sun Rising is newer so I didn't include them in my list. They are one of my favorite bands from the past couple of years. Unforutnately they broke up, but they started a new project with 3 of the RSR members called The Violent. If you haven't heard them yet, check it out. They're working on an album and released two songs so far.

I know Another Animal, just one I forgot!! I'll be adding it to the list. Thanks!!

Most of the other bands you mentioned I left off the list thinking they were too well known. World Fire Brigade is one I haven't heard though so I'll check them out! Thanks!
-Steve

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

I love me some older post-grudge. Edgewater has a real classic record "South Of Sideways". Released on Wind Up around the time that Creed split up.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Yep, I was going to suggest Edgewater. Their big song was Eyes Wired Shut and I really liked that song.

One other band that I will bring up is Crossfade. I heard them on Turbo from time to time. Their self-titled album seems solid for its time.
CreedFeed wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:Well, I've been listening to a lot of Default, lately. Remember those guys?
Yeah, I would consider them one of the more popular bands right behind 3 Doors Down. The singer from Default went to country music for awhile. Default just put out a new EP in 2018 "Re-cuts" which were different versions of some of their popular songs.
Oh really? I just haven't heard anything from them beyond the 10s unlike the usual suspects like 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Godsmack, etc.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

That Crossfade album is solid.

I also think that Trapt's self-titled is a classic record! Deep cuts that go far beyond Headstrong.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Hey dude. Just wanted to say your post inspired me to make my first Youtube video! I made it about Another Animal with my best friend, and for this upcoming week, I plan on doing one for Tantric's original lineup :) Check it out when you can, and thanks for the inadvertent inspiration!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HewAudSHz88

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Have you heard of this band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkCpnYuVDs8