Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen)

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Post by Mr. Slash »

They performed on the Today show this morning. I have no clue about American TV shows, but with 4,2 Mio Twitter followers this seems to be a rather big one, right? His voice sounds so freakin great I'm becoming more and more a WVH fanboy lol.
https://www.today.com/video/wolfgang-va ... 1281861999

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Um, can we talk about the artwork? I'm dying to talk about the artwork. What is this beautiful monstrosity??? :lol

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Well. I don't know but at least I can tell You that that's definetly not a mammoth!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

New song. I like the video. The song itself is rather basic imo.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Ironically, as one of the comments says: 'Love so much that his music is original and doesn't sound like everyone else'
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

His voice is awesome.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

It might be technically basic, but that song has some serious vibe to it. It seems to be in D. I might learn some more of this.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

anguyen92 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:39 pm Found an article from Ultimate-Guitar about him talking about how he ended up with Tremonti. Let's go ahead and remove any notion that him leaving Tremonti was a bad one, since he wanted to tour with Van Halen in 2015 (and as we all eventually learned, it would have ended up being their last tour ever) and I'm sure Wolfgang wanted to spend as much time with his dad as possible until the end in between working on his solo album.

"You did two albums with Mark Tremonti [in the band Tremonti], [2015's] 'Cauterize' and [2016's] 'Dust.' I saw you play with Tremonti in New York, it was probably five-six years ago How was that experience for you?"
"Yeah, the Alter Bridge guys - Mark, Myles, Philips, Brian - I love those guys, they're fantastic. That's a really fun story, how I got into Tremonti.

"I've been hanging out with Morgan [Rose] from Sevendust in New Jersey, just fucking around, I had some of my gear up there and I get a call from Gareth [Whitlock, drums] and he's like, 'Hey man, are you in Jersey right now?'

"I said, 'Yeah, why?' He's like, 'We need a bass player. We're about to go on tour, can you come over?' I was like, 'Well, I just happen to have my gear. I'm 45 minutes away from you, I'll be right there.'

"And we spent that night in the rehearsal space in New York, playing through the first album [2012's 'All I Was'], I had to learn everything.

"I was familiar with the songs, they sent me the album and I was like, 'This is fucking great.' But I didn't know how to play it - that was a different thing.

"And we spent the night playing everything, and then the next day at Rhode Island we played a show and I had to play everything."
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... _live.html
Pardon my French, but holy. Fucking. Shit. He learned the entirety of All I Was in one night, and played a full show with them the next day?! I mean, I know Wolfgang is talented, but WOW. That blows me away. :eek

Loving all the songs we've gotten so far, and really REALLY can't wait to hear the full album and see them live. I recently asked Garrett on Facebook about their touring plans, and he said they're just kind of waiting to see what happens Covid-wise, but that they can't wait to get out on the road whenever they can.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

:lol Bahahaha that video is amazing, well done Wolfie

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

He's undoubtedly very talented and his voice is very strong but I just want a bit more edge to his music. It sounds a little generic right now. It's very very competent for a debut album though.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

His video for Don't Back Down already reached 1 million views on Youtube. That's pretty good for a rockband.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Mr. Slash wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:20 pm His video for Don't Back Down already reached 1 million views on Youtube. That's pretty good for a rockband.
I mean, he is Wolfgang VAN HALEN,

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

So I've checked out all of his singles on his yt channel and I have to say he definitely has taken the sound of his era rather than his fathers. He sounds like a modern band and not trying to milk his fathers sound. I think that's a good thing.

However, despite being multi-talented, being able to play all the instruments on his record, I find the songs to be kind of generic. I wonder if his last name wasn't Van Halen would people care as much? The songs arent bad. The songwriting just isn't as strong as the other stuff I listen too like Tremonti, Big Wreck, Halestorm, etc. I think WVH has a very safe and radio friendly sound. but I have no desire to relisten to them.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Agreed.
It sounds safe, sterile and written for radio.
Elvis' awful production doesn't help, especially on the drums.

davidstvz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by davidstvz »

To be fair, I have no desire to relisten to the vast majority of music I hear. Even good stuff. If the desire to relisten is too strong, it's usually the kind of song I would burn out on after a few listens.

Most music I end up really liking is stuff that I heard more than once by accident... it was played on the radio, or a friend put the album on more than once while we were hanging out.

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

The cover was taken from John Brosios surreal paintings:

https://faithwaites.wordpress.com/2018/ ... hn-brosio/

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen)

Post by MidnightToker »

I edited the post title to remove "Distance," figured this thread could be used to discuss the whole album. Speaking of, I think it's great. Really love the opener "Mr. Ed."

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I'm surprised this album isn't getting more love here, because Think it Over sounds like your typical AB ballad, and quite a few solos are very reminiscent of Mark's style (e.g. You're to Blame, You'll Be the one).

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

On one hand, you could appreciate he's not directly filling his father's shoes but I was expecting something a bit more out of the box since he provided so many cool parts for Tremonti and that he's well into prog. Not a bad debut tho.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I would have enjoyed more long songs like Stone.
Instrumentally, the album is not very impressive. I mean, the guy is doing a decent job, but for years, I've heard everywhere that he was a beast of a player, and it doesn't show.
Overall, the album is decent and better than I expected, but as I initially said, he's playing it too safe.