Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen)

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen)

Post by MidnightToker »

Wow, this is great.

Last edited by MidnightToker on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

austin.
On The Rail

Re: Mammoth WVH (Wolfgang Van Halen) - Distance

Post by austin. »

I’m not crying. You are.

Sounds like daughtry x Creed x goo goo dolls. I like the high vocal nuisances like he did with Tremonti.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That is such an amazing song and video tribute.

He has a great voice for lead vocals too. Really looking forward to hearing that solo album.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

I had the privilege of meeting Wolfgang after a show on the inaugural Tremonti tour, and I was like man do you have a pick? Young man reached in his pocket and gave me one he’d used that night. I’ll never forget that moment. One of the nicest guys I’ve ever met in my life. Seemed like a kid in candy store just all around joyous

This will be my song to my dad whenever that day comes.

I wonder just how proud Mark is of Wolfie. Was Wolfgang going on the road with Tremonti his first big venture? It may not have been. But I remember he was very young then. I was 19 I think then and 26 now. He’s what 29? Seemed like just some cool dude you’d want to jam music with and now he’s growing up. Cool guy man. Hate Eddie is gone.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

austin. wrote:I had the privilege of meeting Wolfgang after a show on the inaugural Tremonti tour, and I was like man do you have a pick? Young man reached in his pocket and gave me one he’d used that night. I’ll never forget that moment. One of the nicest guys I’ve ever met in my life. Seemed like a kid in candy store just all around joyous

I wonder just how proud Mark is of Wolfie. Was Wolfgang going on the road with Tremonti his first big venture? It may not have been. But I remember he was very young then. I was 19 I think then and 26 now. He’s what 29? Seemed like just some cool dude you’d want to jam music with and now he’s growing up. Cool guy man. Hate Eddie is gone.
I mean doing tours with Tremonti was probably his first big venture outside of doing Van Halen tours back around the late 2000s when he was younger.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Another song You're to Blame at around the 50ish minute mark in this Howard Stern interview. It sounds awesome!

https://youtu.be/u3kw5J1Nt9g

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

The guy has a great voice, reminds me of Chris Daughtry when he goes higher.

Nice song, but the mix doesn't sound good to me.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, guess who mixed and produced these songs? You guessed it. Elvis and his crew. They get a lot of work. It's not just Mark and Myles that keeps insisting on working with Elvis on everything (AB and solo). Slash, Sevendust (and their side projects as well), and Wolfgang Van Halen feels like he's the right guy for the job unlike what people say about him.

https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/status ... 0382357504

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

anguyen92 wrote:
austin. wrote:I had the privilege of meeting Wolfgang after a show on the inaugural Tremonti tour, and I was like man do you have a pick? Young man reached in his pocket and gave me one he’d used that night. I’ll never forget that moment. One of the nicest guys I’ve ever met in my life. Seemed like a kid in candy store just all around joyous

I mean doing tours with Tremonti was probably his first big venture outside of doing Van Halen tours back around the late 2000s when he was younger.

Ahh I wasn’t sure if the Van Halen tours were before or after his time in Tremonti. Thanks for that info.

1.1 million YouTube views in a day. Happy for Wolfgang.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

anguyen92 wrote:Well, guess who mixed and produced these songs? You guessed it. Elvis and his crew. They get a lot of work. It's not just Mark and Myles that keeps insisting on working with Elvis on everything (AB and solo). Slash, Sevendust (and their side projects as well), and Wolfgang Van Halen feels like he's the right guy for the job unlike what people say about him.

I'm not surprised. These "Ahhhhh-" backing vocals have some AB vibe to them. Seems like Elvis is the producer of every band connected to the Myles/Mark universe (despite Stapp).

The song itself is great. Now I can see why he doesn't play bass for Tremonti anymore. He is way too talented for being just a random bass player.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Distance is a lovely tribute but not quite my style. You're to Blame is getting more on my wavelength. I'll be very interested to hear what the rest of the album is like. Hopefully a bit more of the eccentricity that EVH showed rubbed off on WVH than what is in these songs (though they are good songs).

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, this is an interesting cast for the live band. Garrett is going to be the touring drummer? This whole tree of connections is getting too out of hand for my taste and I'm all for the connections.
When live shows are able to happen again and Van Halen is ready to share his new Mammoth WVH songs from the stage, Slash guitarist Frank Sidoris, Tremonti drummer Garrett Whitlock and bassist Ronnie Ficarro will be joining him.
https://loudwire.com/wolfgang-van-halen ... m=referral

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Mr. Slash wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:Well, guess who mixed and produced these songs? You guessed it. Elvis and his crew. They get a lot of work. It's not just Mark and Myles that keeps insisting on working with Elvis on everything (AB and solo). Slash, Sevendust (and their side projects as well), and Wolfgang Van Halen feels like he's the right guy for the job unlike what people say about him.

I'm not surprised. These "Ahhhhh-" backing vocals have some AB vibe to them. Seems like Elvis is the producer of every band connected to the Myles/Mark universe (despite Stapp).

The song itself is great. Now I can see why he doesn't play bass for Tremonti anymore. He is way too talented for being just a random bass player.
He would hit those notes live and on Cauterize with Tremonti going even higher than Erock, I think. I’m no singer. But I think Wolfgangs tenure with Tremonti really influenced the haunting howls we hear Erock do some in his later stuff.
I really miss Wolfgang in the band as his bass was the tightest of anyone Mark has had IMO and he had a great singing voice for the parts he was needed for. He fit I thought, but I mean.... he’d just got off the road with Arena shows with his dad to..... no offense but club shows with Tremonti. Wolfgang was bigger than that and he knew it but I don’t think there was any animosity at all.

Edit Garrett and Wolfgang on tour together? Both absolute beasts. Wow that’s awesome. I can’t wait to see this show!

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Found an article from Ultimate-Guitar about him talking about how he ended up with Tremonti. Let's go ahead and remove any notion that him leaving Tremonti was a bad one, since he wanted to tour with Van Halen in 2015 (and as we all eventually learned, it would have ended up being their last tour ever) and I'm sure Wolfgang wanted to spend as much time with his dad as possible until the end in between working on his solo album.

"You did two albums with Mark Tremonti [in the band Tremonti], [2015's] 'Cauterize' and [2016's] 'Dust.' I saw you play with Tremonti in New York, it was probably five-six years ago How was that experience for you?"
"Yeah, the Alter Bridge guys - Mark, Myles, Philips, Brian - I love those guys, they're fantastic. That's a really fun story, how I got into Tremonti.

"I've been hanging out with Morgan [Rose] from Sevendust in New Jersey, just fucking around, I had some of my gear up there and I get a call from Gareth [Whitlock, drums] and he's like, 'Hey man, are you in Jersey right now?'

"I said, 'Yeah, why?' He's like, 'We need a bass player. We're about to go on tour, can you come over?' I was like, 'Well, I just happen to have my gear. I'm 45 minutes away from you, I'll be right there.'

"And we spent that night in the rehearsal space in New York, playing through the first album [2012's 'All I Was'], I had to learn everything.

"I was familiar with the songs, they sent me the album and I was like, 'This is fucking great.' But I didn't know how to play it - that was a different thing.

"And we spent the night playing everything, and then the next day at Rhode Island we played a show and I had to play everything."
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... _live.html

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Guess we'll get to hear a new song "soon."
https://twitter.com/WolfVanHalen/status ... 7157553152

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Studio release of You're to Blame. I like it. Vocally he reminds me a lot of the Vertical Horizon guy. Feels like it could of come off the 2002 Spiderman soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXqz_NNwT20

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Wolfie (and Garrett Whitlock) performed Distance on Jimmy Kimmel's show yesterday. He's really hitting the high notes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5bMbKcdhQA

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Devil Inside You wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:31 pm Studio release of You're to Blame. I like it. Vocally he reminds me a lot of the Vertical Horizon guy. Feels like it could of come off the 2002 Spiderman soundtrack
It's a cool song. I really dig the guitar sound.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Mr. Slash wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:54 am Wolfie (and Garrett Whitlock) performed Distance on Jimmy Kimmel's show yesterday. He's really hitting the high notes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5bMbKcdhQA
They sound great! So pumped for Wolfie and Garrett, but it definitely stings a little seeing the best rhythm section Tremonti ever had out there as another band instead.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Mr. Slash wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:02 am
Devil Inside You wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:31 pm Studio release of You're to Blame. I like it. Vocally he reminds me a lot of the Vertical Horizon guy. Feels like it could of come off the 2002 Spiderman soundtrack
It's a cool song. I really dig the guitar sound.

Do you know what's up with the recording of Distance? It sounds weird, and it almost seems intentional