Rank your top albums of 2020

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Schulzy
White Knuckled

Rank your top albums of 2020

Post by Schulzy »

2020........without music and football I would have lost my mind! I hope we can all make a "Brand New Start" in 2021.

Here is my list for the last year (a few carry overs from 2019 and one big surprise). A very mixed bunch.

10. NEEDTOBREATHE - Out of Body - some great high points with Survival, Who Am I, and Bottom of a Heartbreak. Otherwise just so-so.
9. Sevendust - Blood & Stone - very hit and miss for me. I like Dying to Live, Blood From A Stone, Desperation, and Criminal. I really dislike covers (The Day I Tried to Live was a decent attempt/tribute to Chris Cornell but ultimately fell flat).
8. From Ashes to New - Panic - another solid release. I've only listened to it a few times but standouts are Scars That I'm Hiding, What I Get, and Change My Past.
7. Chris Tomlin & Friends - I think we all needed some encouragement this year. This album cheered me up during some very low moments and reminded me how much I need God every day.
6. Red - Declaration - I am a long time fan of this band and was bracing myself for a another Gone (which I felt was one of their weakest releases). Some great songs - Infidel, Sever, and From the Ashes. One song that I will skip forever in Float.
5. Fit for A King - The Path - just a pounding rock/metal album. Listen loud and have the Tylenol ready!
4. Relent - Heart Attack (Revisited) - accidentally stumbled upon this band and so glad I did! Originally released in 2019 but added a few new songs in 2020. Their new single is "Last Days". See if you can resist the head bang.
3. Issues - Beautiful Oblivion - a carry over from 2019 but near the top of my list. Tapping Out describes my relationship with my ex-girlfriend.
2. Fire From the Gods - American Sun - a late arrival in 2019. I have worn this album out. Soooo good from top to bottom. If you have not heard of these guys CHECK THEM OUT!

1. And my top album is.......................Boney James - Solid - I found myself listening to a lot of relaxation music and smooth jazz to help me sleep in 2020. I heard a few of Boney's songs and was immediately hooked. Unbelievable how a saxophone player made it to the very top but I can't get enough of this album. If you are in need of something totally different from hard rock/metal then give it a shot!
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Re: Rank your top albums of 2020

Post by Devil Inside You »

A lot of hard rock! I actually don't know a single album by any of the artists you mentioned so I'll definitely look over some this weekend. I was able to preview the Boney James release over itunes. It was a bit too left field for me, but your enjoyment of the saxophone made me think of this song. It features an alto saxophone outro, and it is one of my favorite songs off my favorite album this year. :) Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgbWOLYiLa4

Devil Inside You
Isolated

This was a pretty unique year for me as most of the albums I enjoyed were not released by my favorite bands, but rather bands I've casually followed, have some basic knowledge of, or knew nothing about. I should preface that except for the number one album, none of these are in a particular order. So I don't think the second album on this list is better than the last. As far as I'm concerned, they're all winners, but the number one pick was my absolute favorite. :) Reply if you've heard any.

9. Grimes-Miss Anthropocene: A weird industrial concept album, that comes off like Madonna meets Nine Inch Nails. Grimes was super popular amongst the hipsters when I was in high school, but aside from Flesh without Blood, I knew nothing of her work. This was me broadening my horizons and it mostly paid off. Highlights are Darkseid featuring a Mandarin rapper, 4AEM coming off like a Blade Runner song, My Name is Dark which is the Madonna/NIN reference, and We Appreciate Power a badass rock song.

8. Grey Daze-Amends: Though its more of a remix album, it does provide better closure for Chester Bennington's legacy than One More Light did. It shows off his range as his vocals were made for Grunge songs here. Additionally this is where I would have wanted Linkin Park to go stylistically this decade instead of where they actually did.

7. My Morning Jacket-The Waterfall II: A good example of how timeless music can be. This was made in 2015 but released this year as My Morning Jacket thought it was relevant to 2020. It is a sublime, psychedelic experience and much more interesting than its 2015 counterpart. This album is being at the beach on a Sunday evening right as the sun is setting.

6. Bush-The Kingdom: This should have been Bush's comeback record. Its my favorite full Bush album, seeing as I usually just enjoy some songs here and there from album to album. I love this entire piece, and its a shame it didn't gain the traction it deserved. Flowers on a Grave is my favorite song on the album, but Bullet Holes, The Kingdom, Quicksand, and Blood River are all fantastic Grunge songs.

5. Five Finger Death Punch-F8: I know its a meme to rip on this band, and I get why to some degree, but this is a genuinely great rock record from beginning to end. Much like Bush, my enjoyment of Five Finger Death Punch fluctuates from album to album. However, what separates F8 from the passed Five Finger Death Punch albums I've peeked into since 2013 is its consistency. This album is a legitimate artistic statement from the instrumental opening to the album closer. This is also their first album with Charlie Engen(?) who is a fantastic drummer. Highlights are A Little Bit Off, Inside Out, Living the Dream and Full Circle.

4. Poppy-I Disagree: Possibly the future of rock music and definitely the most innovative album on this list. If Grimes was Madonna meets Nine Inch Nails, than Poppy is Marilyn Manson meets Britney Spears. Ominous, dark and surprisingly filling for a 35 minute record (also the shortest album on my list). Poppy mixes the trauma from her abusive relationship with her android persona perfectly, in a way that reminds me of David Bowie's personas. Additionally the closing song Don't Go Outside is eerily predictive of 2020's events, especially since I Disagree was released in the first weeks of January. I can't wait to see what she does next. Highlights are I Disagree, BLOODMONEY, Sit/Stay and Don't Go Outside

3. Godzillionaire-Negative Balance: An inadvertent companion piece to I Disagree (interestingly this is the longest album on my list). Godzillionaire is the current project by PAW singer Mark Hennessy and this album is a testament that mainstream success is not needed to write amazing melodies. This album is a sinister journey comprised of pure alternative rock, and borderline metal. Also eerily ominous, as the final song on the album is a piano outro with a woman giving instructions on how to put on an airplane mask. Yet another disturbing coincidence for 2020. Highlights are Bankrupt Naked and Void, The Solution is Laughable, Never Say Goodbye as a Warning, Ghost, Curly's Wife, and 64 Palms.

2. Lola Marsh-Someday Tomorrow Maybe: Basically the album that saved Alternative music for me. I'm a pretty basic "rock guy" and admittedly my tastes have gotten more narrow as I've gotten older. I honestly gave up on checking out the more Alternative side of music after some of my favorite Alternative artists kept putting their feet in their mouths publicly, Lana Del Rey in particular. However, Lola Marsh released an album that reminded me of how grander the world outside of hard rock is. Experimental, anthemic and absolutely lovely. I truly hope they hit their big break this decade as they deserve to be known by millions. A middle eastern romantic journey exploring nostalgia, loss and love. Highlights are Echoes, Darkest Hour, Give Me Some Time and the intense In Your Eyes.

1. Perdida-Stone Temple Pilots with Jeff Gutt: I saw a documentary on George Harrison this year. In it, he's talking with his guru in India, and his guru tells him music is a window to Heaven or Hell, where you can converse with Angels or Demons depending on what type of music you're listening to. Perdida by STP is one of those albums that is a window to enlightenment, alongside Year of the Tiger, AiC's Jar of Flies, and Above by Mad Season. I Didn't Know the Time is a gorgeous tribute to Chester Bennington and the purest example of solidarity for human suffering I've ever heard in a song. Years is a song about divorce which I applied to the demise of my relationship this year, with a woman I hoped to marry no less. You Found Yourself While Losing Your Heart captures that post break up recovery and Sunburst was the final song I've listened to in 2020. A song about optimism and looking for what's to come, a perfect intro to 2021. This album performed horribly and was outsold by some extremely awful rock albums released in 2020. If you listen to nothing else on my list, please please please check this out. If you're in the right mood, it will take you places you didn't know you could go to. Highlights are every song. 10 perfect tracks just like My Own Prison.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I only bought two albums all year. So I’m just going to say my favorite of the two.

Trivium - What the Dead Men Say

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I only listened to three new albums last year so here it goes....

Trivium - WTDMS
Taylor Swift - Folklore
Taylor Swift - Evermore

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

A lot of cool stuff released this year!

Seether - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum... I think Seether found a sound on Poison The Parish with Shaun Morgan producing that had the band sounding better than they had in years. They've polished this heavier sound on the new record and it is magnificent!
Failure, Buried In The Sand, and Beg are all badass tracks.

Lamb Of God - Self-Titled... I still haven't dug deep into this record but I like what I hear. There are some cool guest features and the whole first half of the album jams. It's not earth shattering, but a solid Lamb Of God record.

Black Dahlia Murder - Verminous... In 2020, I went down an extreme metal rabbit hole, opening my ears to much more black and death metal. Black Dahlia Murder has quickly become one of my favorite modern death metal bands and their newest album Verminous is so killer.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

I didn’t get much time to listen to many albums in 2020! I worked a lot and slept when I wasn’t working! I do however have to mention the one album that got through to me and I absolutely loved! I listened from beginning to end multiple times and still love it! That’s the...”Deftones.. Ohms” my favorite track is “Ceremony”!

Also lost my dad in August 2020... my bday month. So the cover of that album also fits me. Tough year but we are still here! Here’s to 2021!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

MaraCarr wrote:I didn’t get much time to listen to many albums in 2020! I worked a lot and slept when I wasn’t working! I do however have to mention the one album that got through to me and I absolutely loved! I listened from beginning to end multiple times and still love it! That’s the...”Deftones.. Ohms” my favorite track is “Ceremony”!

Also lost my dad in August 2020... my bday month. So the cover of that album also fits me. Tough year but we are still here! Here’s to 2021!

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

My favorite album of 2020 is Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum by Seether.

I think they did a great job on that album, love it.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Devil Inside You
Isolated

I'm sorry about your dad man. Hope you and your family are healing as best you can, and I'm happy that Deftones record helped you as much as it did. I heard a lot of great things about it.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

George wrote:My favorite album of 2020 is Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum by Seether.

I think they did a great job on that album, love it.
:yeahthat :headbang
Beg is maybe the heaviest song they've ever written!

Devil Inside You
Isolated

For anyone interested, I made a Youtube video about this topic. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgJk7WvM0ZA