The Official PORCUPINE TREE Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Official PORCUPINE TREE Thread

Post by BSC »

Well, I didn't mean too short in a bad way, it's just such a good album which I really enjoy listening to, so it's always a shame when it ends :lol

But I agree, I'd rather have a more concentrated album with great songs, than a bloated album which outstays it's welcome.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Yeah I always wish shorter albums were longer because they're usually the better albums. But then I think, "This album might be worse if it actually was longer." :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Not that I wanna take this thread off-topic, but when we started having this discussion I pretty much immediately thought of One Day Remains compared to Blackbird or AB3. I think I would actually enjoy the latter 2 albums more as a whole if they were cut down by a few songs.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Yeah I think AB III suffers from it the most. I think as a whole that album would be better with around 11 songs instead of 14. Then they could've released a b-side EP later with 6 tracks.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I definitely enjoy shorter albums more than longer ones. Along with the other reasons described, this format also helps albums with themes or concepts stay connected and powerful.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

like FOABP (6 tracks) then followed by Nil Recurring EP (4 tracks)

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Has anyone picked up Octane Twisted? I don't have many of PT's albums, but I really enjoy their songs so I thought I might as well buy it. I had only heard The Incident a couple of times before listening to this live disc, and I know a couple of songs from the second disc. The Incident part of the album is good, but I just don't get The Incident as a whole, I understand it's suppose to be one 55 minute song? The songs don't feel very linked together, and I don't see how the long song (or album?) really flows. The individual parts of The Incident are too short, and they don't feel fully developed to me, and when they do flesh out the songs, they're rather boring. I love Time Flies, but the big instrumental right in the middle of it is incredibly boring. The Incident to me just seems like a collection of somewhat average songs. I imagine it'll grow on me, but I'm not in a hurry to listen to it again, which is a shame because I how much I love their other work, especially Fear of a Blank Planet. The second disc is a lot better, it's a good collection of songs, the only thing I'm not too keen on is the version of Hatesong. I think it's brilliant that they improvise it, but I watched an interview with Gavin and Richard and they said they were really pleased with that version of Hatesong, although I think I've heard better versions.

On a side note, Anesthetize is probably one the best songs I've heard. It's brilliant. I'm trying to get into Steven Wilson's solo work, I'll probably pick up his new album when it's released, have you guys heard he announced the release date for it?

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Yeah, The Incident is my least favorite of all of Porcupine Tree's albums. I listened to a couple of tracks from Octane Twisted but I knew I wasn't going to buy it if so much of it was The Incident.

Yes, I have. I've watched all of the video blogs he has posted about it too. Some of the songs sound interesting, but Luminol, being the only one we've heard in its entirety, sounds awful. I'd expect that kind of excessive, wanky bullshit in Dream Theater but not from Wilson. So, I'm excited for the next album but definitely a little worried.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Heretic
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Heretic »

So, the new Steven-solo album is absolutely fantastic. The Raven That Refused to Sing is one of the best album closing songs that SW has ever created, and that's saying a lot with Collapse, Feel So Low, Stop Swimming, etc. It's almost as if the album builds and builds to that final song, and then just climaxes beautifully.

The other songs are great too. Lots of prog on this album. The Watchmaker especially is prog to the max. Beautiful acoustics though. Drive Home is another beautiful song, sounds like a mixture of Shesmovedon and My Ashes.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Wow! I really didn't expect it to be this good. I've never been a huge fan of Steven Wilson's previous solo albums for some reason. I never seemed to like them as much as Porcupine Tree material, but this is fantastic.. What a way to start 2013 musically..

My favourite songs after my first listen are: Drive Home, The Watchmaker, The Raven That Refused To Sing
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

How are you guys listening to this? Has it leaked already?! I wasn't gonna listen to it, but seeing as you guys like it a lot.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, it has leaked :)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Wow, almost a month and a half early. I bet Steven must be gutted :lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The last two songs are so good. And they get better with every listen..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Fletch
Loyal Follower

Post by Fletch »

:facepalm I'm not listening until the album is released :shifty

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/n8sLcvWG1M4[/youtube]

Video of the title track :) it's so beautiful :bow
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Honestly, I'm probably only going to buy this album out of some possibly misplaced loyalty. Everything I've heard so far has been really boring. I never thought SW would start making this kind of regressive, masturbatory music. He seems more interested in replicating the 70s than actually progressing, which is what originally interested me in him. I've been moving away from prog lately for that reason. It just isn't so progressive most of the time.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Did you really find that song boring? My heart hurts reading that.. I honestly believe this song is one of the most beautiful pieces Steven has ever written.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Yeah, I find it really boring. I had a tough time even listening to it a second time (a few days after the first listen) and I honestly don't feel like listening to it again to specifically point out what's so boring. From what I can remember, the piano line is only decent but it's repeated a bunch. The crescendo was super predictable and wasn't terribly interesting. It soared exactly how I expect it to soar, except with some little pointless frills by the super expert musicians here and there. I think there was even a random flute thing despite there not being any flute other than that moment (I might be wrong though). The format was just very predictable, and the content mirrored that.

Heretic
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Heretic »

EHHHH NOT really. The Raven is definitely one of the most beautiful songs he's ever written. I literally have no clue how you can love something like Swans and then not find this song to be utterly gorgeous, but to each his own.

Album still rules btw. That video is absolutely amazing, such a sad story.