The Official PORCUPINE TREE Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Official PORCUPINE TREE Thread

Post by Nick »

Yeah, plastic emotion is what I would call it. It sounds to me more like they're trying to be emotional rather than actually being it. It sounds like they're playing all the sad-prog conventions. I can't get emotionally invested in something that seems so by-the-numbers.

Of course, emotion is incredibly subjective. I can't and won't say you're wrong in feeling any of those things. I'm glad you like it, at least.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I have no problem with anyone liking his solo stuff.. I just want Porcupine Tree back. :lol

PS - :GavinHarrisonrules

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Yeah I wanna hear more of Gavin's drumming in Porcupine Tree, he's by far my favourite drummer at the moment. I've tried to listen to some of his stuff with 05ric, the drumming is awesome, the songs are just a bit strange.

I'm seeing Gavin in a drum clinic on the 8th of May! I'm super-excited.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I just met Gavin Harrison! It was pretty awkward actually, it was at a drum clinic. After the clinic finished, I was trying to call a taxi, but I couldn't hear anything the person was saying, as were hitting cymbals and playing with bass drum pedals and stuff, so I had to go somewhere else. The main entrance was inaccessible for me, so I left through the door I came in. I just stormed through this door, look to my left, and Gavin was there! I thought 'holy shit!!' finished my phone call. I hung around in the room for a while, he was busy talking to people and I didn't want to interupt, but then he was free and he actually spoke to me first, I can't remember his exact words but he said something about how my ears must have been struggling, cause I sat right by the big speaker. We chatted for a while, I said it was my first drum clinic and that I found it really inspiring, then he said he'd hate for people to go home from a drum clinic not feeling inspired. Then I had to leave cause my taxi arrived, and he was really kind to me, said it was good to meet me, told me to take care, and all that stuff. It was really, I still can't stop grinning, that guy is one of my favourite drummers.

The clinic itself was brilliant, he's a fantastic player, if you ever get the opportunity to see him live, go do it.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Ahh, that sounds so awesome! I hope Porcupine Tree tour again because I'd love to see him play live.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

That's awesome man! :)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I listened to The Raven That Refused To Sing for the first time tonight. I actually liked it pretty well. Marco Minnemann's drumming was good and I loved Guthrie Govan's guitar solos. The bass was very audible too which was refreshing to hear in an album.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Just gonna bump this thread to say this is one the most saddest but beautiful songs I've ever heard.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/932ZxSdjlFY[/youtube]

Everything works. The drum composition, the piano, Steven's vocals, the dynamics, and the lyrics are so haunting. I love how at the end the song reaches its climax, and the drums just fade away.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

^ Incredible song :bow
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Put In Absentia in my car cd player the other day. First time I've listened to it in ages. Definitely my favourite PT album
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I've started discovering PT a few months ago and instantly they have become one of my favourite bands. I really like their 00s albums, Fear of the Blank Planet is prolly my fav, Deadwing is a close second, In Absentia is also a really good one. Still have to listen to The Incident and Lightbulb Sun. Haven't checked out many 90s albums by these guys yet, but from what I've already heard - Stupid Dream is really good. Tons of great acoustic stuff on it.
As far as Steven Wilson's solo stuff goes, so far I've tried RTRTS and I didn't like it very much, but nonetheless The Watchmaker and title track are magic.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

Stupid Dream is brilliant, Lightbulb Sun is no where near as good, but is still worth a listen. I bought the Recordings album today, and that's outstanding too.

When RTRTS was released I enjoyed it, now it's only just listenable for me.

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

A Smart Kid is the most beautiful/saddest PT track.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Feel so Low would be my favourite beautiful/saddest PT track.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

But the best thing they've ever done is this:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/8pp8eE714OQ[/youtube]
(First song)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Collapse The Light Into Earth is obviously the most beautiful PT song
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I'm not a big fan of Half Light, it just hasn't clicked with me yet. Heart Attack In a Lay By is fantastic. Can't forget about Buying New Soul either!

As much as I like the heavy sound in Fear of a Blank Planet, I wouldn't mind if they went back to the ballad style they had, like with Stupid Dream. I'm just desperate for more PT, regardless of what it sounds like :lol

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I'm desperate for new PT as well, and I'd love for them to have more of a Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun sound if/when they come back. Steven Wilson did say he was done with the metal style stuff they overdid on The Incident, so I'm hopeful. I'm just so done with his solo project. Grace For Drowning was pretty good though it didn't cohere into an experience as well as he said it did. Still some great tracks on there though. To me, The Raven is pretty much worthless. I had always hoped Steven Wilson of all people wouldn't descend into this kind of bland, plastic prog but he has.

Oh well, I still have Stupid Dream and In Absentia, my two favorite PT albums, for now.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I'm not the biggest fan of Raven either, but PT will never sound anything like that. I know Gavin isn't that big of a fan of prog, and it's not the type of music I could see him playing to. One of the reasons why I like PT is because they are concise, they've got their long proggy songs, but they don't over-do it. They know exactly when they need a long proggy song. Unlike bands like Dream Theater or most of Raven.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

Exactly. At least one of the members doesn't like jazz either so without that or metal, PT shouldn't sound much like the solo project at all. I like PT because it seems to provide some limitations for Wilson's creativity and it's within that concise limit you talked about that they do their best. The Incident is when they let loose too much, Wilson wishes now someone had restrained him a bit, and it's their worst album. Now, he's all about letting completely loose with his solo band and I don't think the results are great.