The Official Album Review Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Schulzy
White Knuckled

Re: The Official Album Review Thread

Post by Schulzy »

maximzub wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:17 pm Schulzy, I don't know if you're a musician, but I certainly am. I started with piano in 2012 (which, to my mom's dismay, I have gradually phased out), then drums in 2014 (still my favorite instrument and the one I am best at), then guitar in 2016 (the instrument I play the most), and I only started singing in 2019 (backing vocals, lead was in 2020). I love to write songs and have been doing so since 2015, although I only started being serious in 2017. Since 2020, I have been recording some of my originals from time to time. Last year, I had the goal to write and record an entire album's worth of songs by the end of the summer. And that's exactly what I did. It's not an official album, but I consider it as a demo album. We call it Into The Vortex. Although I recorded all the instruments and vocals myself, it is credited to my band Headroom Karma because we plan to play these songs as a band. Also, each member contributed at least something to the album, with Carson writing two songs mostly by himself and helping me with others, and Ashton also helping me with some lyrics. There are also some outside writers: three friends that I used to write with. Anyway, I'm gonna try to do something risky and review this album as objectively as possible. Unfortunately, I can't entirely assume the position of an outside reviewer.
Max, to answer you - I am a very poor guitar player and a so-so singer. I took guitar lessons for a few years in junior high but ultimately decided to teach myself with tab books, Guitar World magazines, and YouTube videos. I even purchased some pretty expensive guitars back in the day - a PRS Custom 24 - 10 Top, a PRS Navarro Signature, and a Custom built Taylor Acoustic. I sold all of them when I got engaged to my ex-fiancee to pay for her ring. I still have my 2009 PRS Tremonti SE and bought a Navarro SE to replace the signature. Haven't played them in a few years. I have several pieces of songs that I started but have never completed along with a book full of lyrics that I wrote but will most likely never see the light of day. I've been told that I have a decent singing voice but I don't particularly like the way I sound. It's cool that you wrote a bunch of songs and actually recorded them. I will check your stuff out. :rockon
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

maximzub wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:17 pm
2. Roadtrip Song - here we get more of a country-rock song. Sounds a lot like something Alter Bridge would do on One Day Remains or Blackbird. Great main riff. Verse melody is nice with me using my lower register. Powerful singalong chorus. The bridge is a nice break from the similar chords of the rest of the song, albeit with an annoying slide guitar melody underneath it. Then we get a well-crafted solo reminiscent of Mark Tremonti. The vocal melody changes a little bit for the last chorus, and there's some vocalized backing vocals underneath it that are very nice. Solid song, and I could see it being a big song on rock radio. 10/10.

7. Still Friends - if you're looking for a blend of classic rock and modern rock, this is it. Fun main riff. Catchy verse melody. Singalong chorus. The bridge breaks it down with a heavier drum beat. Nice solo, which echoes the chorus melody and has a fast lick towards the end. The solo continues under the last chorus. Lyrically, this may be the best one because you can tell I put my heart into writing about the girl I loved. Missing some vocal harmonies in the chorus, but other than that, it's perfect. 10/10.

11. Crushless Summer - I love this one. Clearly wearing my Volbeat influences on my sleeve, I start with just my voice and palm-muted guitar, before it launches into an upbeat, driving song. Four guitar solos! Three start similar but have different licks to close them out, and one is a little crazy. Sometimes it gets muddled because of my inability to play fast. Catchy vocal melodies in both the verses and the chorus. More great lyrics pouring my heart out for the same girl as in Still Friends, but instead of from the perspective of "everything is fine, we're still friends", it's more like "I'll never see you again, and I'll miss you". Great song that leaves little more to be desired from the listener. 10/10.

I checked out your videos and listened to them all the way through. You have a nice tone to your voice and I'm impressed by your drumming and guitar work. I hear similarities to Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day), Deryck Whibley (Sum 41), and Alex Band (The Calling) maybe with a little less edge. The saying goes "write about what you know" and you've used your experiences to mold your songs. Well done!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Schulzy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:35 pm
maximzub wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:17 pm
2. Roadtrip Song - here we get more of a country-rock song. Sounds a lot like something Alter Bridge would do on One Day Remains or Blackbird. Great main riff. Verse melody is nice with me using my lower register. Powerful singalong chorus. The bridge is a nice break from the similar chords of the rest of the song, albeit with an annoying slide guitar melody underneath it. Then we get a well-crafted solo reminiscent of Mark Tremonti. The vocal melody changes a little bit for the last chorus, and there's some vocalized backing vocals underneath it that are very nice. Solid song, and I could see it being a big song on rock radio. 10/10.

7. Still Friends - if you're looking for a blend of classic rock and modern rock, this is it. Fun main riff. Catchy verse melody. Singalong chorus. The bridge breaks it down with a heavier drum beat. Nice solo, which echoes the chorus melody and has a fast lick towards the end. The solo continues under the last chorus. Lyrically, this may be the best one because you can tell I put my heart into writing about the girl I loved. Missing some vocal harmonies in the chorus, but other than that, it's perfect. 10/10.

11. Crushless Summer - I love this one. Clearly wearing my Volbeat influences on my sleeve, I start with just my voice and palm-muted guitar, before it launches into an upbeat, driving song. Four guitar solos! Three start similar but have different licks to close them out, and one is a little crazy. Sometimes it gets muddled because of my inability to play fast. Catchy vocal melodies in both the verses and the chorus. More great lyrics pouring my heart out for the same girl as in Still Friends, but instead of from the perspective of "everything is fine, we're still friends", it's more like "I'll never see you again, and I'll miss you". Great song that leaves little more to be desired from the listener. 10/10.

I checked out your videos and listened to them all the way through. You have a nice tone to your voice and I'm impressed by your drumming and guitar work. I hear similarities to Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day), Deryck Whibley (Sum 41), and Alex Band (The Calling) maybe with a little less edge. The saying goes "write about what you know" and you've used your experiences to mold your songs. Well done!
Thank you so much for checking our music out!
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Soon after I discovered Alter Bridge in 2020, I heard that Mark Tremonti had his own band on the side called Tremonti. For some reason, I hesitated to check out their stuff for a long time. I think during my junior and senior years of high school, I kind of refused to check out new music. So it was in the summers in between that I was discovering new music. Anyway, it was the summer of 2021 and Tremonti had just released their newest single "If Not For You". I decided I would finally check it out. After that, I listened to every new single when it came out. Oddly enough, I didn't listen to the album Marching In Time when it came out (although I saw them live two days later and heard "Thrown Further" for the first time there).

Fast forward to 2022. That's when I really dove into their discography, starting with some more songs from Marching In Time. Eventually, I had heard most of the songs. Somewhere in November, I listened to the entire album front-to-back, therefore completing my first Tremonti album.

1. A World Away - eerie intro. Then it launches into a boring collection of low-tuned chugs doubled by drum hits. Followed by a speed metal beat and riffing that just shouldn't be tuned this low. The verses feature some of Mark's grungy singing, which I never like in any song. Underwhelming chorus. More low-tuned riffing and an underwhelming solo. That's really all there is to this song. 3/10.

2. Now And Forever - wow! The riff comes in pounding, which later is doubled by some equally banging drums. Ryan really brought it on this album! Interesting verse melody and a powerful chorus. The breakdown is one of the heaviest things I've ever heard, and I love how offbeat it is. Very fun to drum along to. Pretty solo, although I could do without the fast licks at the end. The breakdown repeats at the end. One of the best Tremonti songs ever and I am puzzled why they never played it live, considering it was a single. 10/10.

3. If Not For You - the first Tremonti song I ever heard and still my favorite. It captures everything that can be expected in a modern rock song. Quiet first verse with an interesting melody. Jumpscare into the chorus, which is powerful and has a really nice guitar melody by Eric underneath it. I should mention that the synth melody underneath each verse is epic. Anyway, in the breakdown we get some shredding by Mark, and some more offbeat pounding on the rhythm guitar, bass, and drums. Great! Mark brings it vocally with the bridge. Awesome solo with lots of signature licks of Mark's thrown in. 10/10.

4. Thrown Further - here's where the album starts to seem a bit predictable. Interesting riff, which alternates between the keys of E and Eb. Cool verses. The vocal harmonies in the chorus are tasty, but I don't like how Mark pronounces "thrown". Seriously, the riff really drives the song. Slow breakdown that I'm on the fence about. Simple solo by Eric, followed by a short vocal bridge that I also think could have been replaced with something different. Mark's solo has too much wah. The outro could have been shorter and with not as much double bass, although I admire the skill it takes to play that way. Overall, I think the song could have benefitted from being slightly slower and by not having Ryan play the bass drum at the same time as the snare drum, lest it sound like a disco beat. 8.5/10.

5. Let That Be Us - another song like the ones before? Not bad by any means, though. Yet another riff that drives the song along. Interesting chord choices during the verses, and I like the octave slides the guitars do. Just before the chorus hits, there's a three-note guitar melody that I like and that reminds me of "Last Of Our Kind" by Alter Bridge. Powerful chorus. Interesting bridge, with some clean playing by one of the guitarists. Another bridge where Mark brings it vocally. Pretty solo with more of Mark's signature licks. Really cool that the drums go in half-time for the outro. This is another song that I think sounds better if it's slower. 8.5/10.

6. The Last One Of Us - this is the song that I think doesn't fit on the album, or really on any Tremonti album. I think the band tried to force their sound onto what should have been a lighter song. And I'm not saying they shouldn't do ballads; their ballads are great. But this isn't a ballad either. I don't really know what to call it. Odd chorus melody. The only thing I can remember liking is that Mark does some cool jamming at the end on his guitar. Speaking of which, why do Mark's solos have to be at the end of every song? Can't they be somewhere else, like in the middle where guitar solos are supposed to be? 6.5/10.

7. In One Piece - we're back to heavy. Again, I can't remember much of this song because I only heard it when listening to the album all the way through. I can say that I liked this song though. Mark sings a high note somewhere in the song (the bridge?). And there's a solo not at the end of the song! Nice break from that structure. Still, it's not an impressive solo as it follows the same structure of having a crazy lick near the end. Processed drums at the end, which I don't like. Doesn't feel like something I'll be going back to anytime soon, but I wouldn't mind it if it came up randomly. 7.5/10.

8. Under The Sun - I have one word to describe this and it's "boring". The chorus is very monotone and is sang over a riff, something that I don't like in almost any song. The verses are nothing special that I can remember. No solo. That's all I have to say. (No, I did not only hear this song when listening to the full album. I listened to it pretty soon after it came out, but then not again until over a year later, and not since then.) 3.5/10.

9. Not Afraid To Lose - beautiful. The verse and chorus melody, the clean guitar in the verses, the dynamics between the verse and chorus, and the lyrics all remind me of One Day Remains. This is the type of song that I wish Alter Bridge still did. Very cool guitar melody in the chorus. The key change in the bridge is a bit jarring, and I think this could have been modified. But I like the transition out of the bridge into the last chorus. The synth in the last chorus is great and always gets me wondering what it would sound like if Tremonti were to do a show with symphony like Alter Bridge did. 9/10.

10. Bleak - exactly as the name says. I knew the tunings of each of the non-pre-release songs before ever listening to them, and when I found that this was in C Standard, I expected something heavy. Nope. This is neither heavy nor punky nor sweet; really it doesn't fit the mold of any of the types of songs I like. Eerie guitar melodies in the chorus. Not much more can be said about this song. 5/10.

11. Would You Kill - a throwback to early Tremonti. The riffs in this song are awesome! Great breakdowns before each chorus, with cool vocalized high notes by Mark. The guitar melody from the chorus of If Not For You seems to be back, and I like that. The drumming carries the song once again. I like how it goes into half-time during the second verse. Clean bridge! Very nice touch to the song. Here we get a more interesting Eric solo than the one in Thrown Further. Man, I really love the riffs in this song. Mark's solo breaks the mold that the other solos on this album fit into, which I like. Crazy heavy outro, which wouldn't be complete without the synths. 10/10.

12. Marching In Time - epic long tracks like this one are always hit-or-miss. Sadly, this one is a miss. Very creepy guitar arpeggio throughout the song. I like Mark's voice in the first verse. For some reason, the guitar part under "oh please, promise me" always makes me think of the word "bubbles". Unnecessary extra section of hard drumming and some high guitar notes by Eric which also sound eerie. Awesome chorus, with a tasty vocal harmony by Mark at the end. I wish Mark sang the second verse an octave lower. Simple breakdown, but I wouldn't really change it. Same with the heavy bridge. The clean bridge could have been taken out as well, although I like the transition from it into the soft version of the chorus. Mark's solo doesn't really go high enough, and it drags way too long. Followed by more dragging as Mark keeps playing the arpeggio and Ryan experiments with different drum beats. Admirable, but unnecessary. In the context of the album, though, it's a great way to close it. 7/10.

Note - I haven't heard the bonus tracks "Forgive Myself" or "Walking Beside Me".

Overall album thoughts - It is very predictable at times. Still, it has a few great songs and sections. The production on this is awesome, although I could have done without some of the swells and processed drums. Not sure how this ranks among Tremonti albums as I have only heard a few songs from each of the rest. I can say that A Dying Machine sounds more promising than this one. 7.5/10.

Songs from this album that placed in my 2022 year-end top 100 songs - If Not For You (#22), Now And Forever (#26), Would You Kill (#47), Thrown Further (#97), Not Afraid To Lose (#99)
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Metallica was the first heavy band I was introduced to. Previously I had only listened to older, lighter rock music such as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. I still remember back in 2015 when my friend from school introduced me to Metallica and gave me all their albums on a USB stick, followed by me watching the Through The Never movie with my cousins that summer. However, back then I only took to liking a couple songs. I still preferred slightly lighter music like YU Grupa (a band from Serbia, the country where my parents are from and all my extended family lives in) and Bon Jovi. Still, I got Hardwired...To Self Destruct the day it came out.

I don't know what prompted me to do it, but one day in 2019 I decided to put all the Metallica albums I had on my phone. I don't know what prompted me to do the next thing, but one day at school I decided to shuffle all of Metallica's stuff. This was the beginning of my new obsession with Metallica that lasted through 2019 and 2020 before I started getting into more modern rock bands like Volbeat, Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin, and Halestorm.

The album I'm reviewing is my favorite studio album of theirs, Ride The Lightning. It should be said that I always preferred live versions of these songs with more modern production as opposed to the studio versions. For this reason, I am reviewing the songs only and not the production of the original studio album.

1. Fight Fire With Fire - nice acoustic intro. Could have been even better without the harpsichord. Fades into distorted guitars, and we're off. Cool drop into the speed beat, but for speed metal riffs, this is not really creative. Offbeat vocals by James, which are way too aggressive for my taste and lack much melody. Scary lyrics as well, as they are about an apocalyptic end to the world. Forgettable solo by Kirk, followed by a much more impressive harmony part by James. Lars's drumming is awesome! Not a creative outro. This song lacks a lot of things that make a good Metallica song. 6/10.

2. Ride The Lightning - epic intro with more guitar harmonies by James. Cool riff that drives the song along. There's more melody to James's vocals here and they go quite high. Interesting choices of chords in the chorus with another cool vocal melody. What a bizarre riff in the bridge! The drums switch to a speed beat for a little, for better or for worse. Epic solo that covers pretty much everything Kirk can do. Back to another verse and chorus, and the outro repeats the harmonies in the intro. Very cool song, and I don't think this one really drags its runtime. 7.5/10.

3. For Whom The Bell Tolls - MY FAVORITE METALLICA SONG, PERIOD. I don't know the right words to describe how much I love those the combination of the F#-F#-E chords with the tom hits that start out the song. And of course, there's the epic bass run. The way I like to play it is actually a combination of the ways Rob and Jason play it. Driving descending riff after the intro is done, with interesting offbeat drums. We get the first solo, which is fun to play and I've even messed around with it by playing it with my eyes closed. Epic riff. Melodic start-stop verse. I've said before that I really dislike having the main riff be played under the chorus, which is why I've grown distant from most Metallica songs. But that's not a problem here at all. Another solo, which is fun to play. Epic pause after "it's the last time you will!" (in the live versions only). Slows down in the outro, and that's it. I have to say that I prefer the Metallica songs that are more mainstream, like this one. It's epic and I'm disappointed that they didn't play it when I saw them live. 10/10.

4. Fade To Black - this is my second favorite Metallica song. Beautiful intro with Kirk's best solo of all time, in my opinion. Nice melody in the verse, complete with a clean arpeggio underneath it. Instrumental chorus? At least it's got some nice riffs in it. Then in the middle, it makes the switch into heavy territory. Awesome riff in the bridge. Another epic guitar solo. I've kinda made my own version of it based on the one from Lincoln 2018. The slowdown in the outro is awesome and it ends powerfully. 10/10.

5. Trapped Under Ice - powerful drums to start it off. The intro drags a little bit. Awesome vocals in James's high register. More melodic chorus than most of their songs have. Nice interlude solos by Kirk throughout. The bridge riffs get to be a bit boring, although the vocals in the bridge are a nice break. That's really it. Again, it lacks a lot of things that make a good Metallica song. 6.5/10.

6. Escape - yes, it's the one that they wrote with radio play in mind. That's what makes me like it. Nice harmonies in the intro, and then a groovy riff. More high register vocals by James in the verse. Very cool chorus, which kinda reminds me of Volbeat. Heavy breakdown, with some low vocals by James. Cool solo by Kirk. I like when he takes a break from the blazing fast stuff he usually does. The outro drags on for a little too long, and I could do without the siren in the background. There should have been another chorus at least. 7.5/10.

7. Creeping Death - this is a banger. High energy throughout, starting with that downpicked riff. A little too aggressive vocals in the verse, but they're more melodic in the chorus. Another solo by Kirk at breakneck speed, which gets to be a bit annoying. The "die" bridge is epic live (and thankfully I got to participate in it when I saw them live), but in the context of the song, it's just another unnecessary. Cool harmonies in the outro. I can't help but think that this is a great show closer. Maybe that's bias because they closed with it when I saw them live, but maybe it's not. 8/10.

8. The Call Of Ktulu - another epic clean intro. Sounds amazing with the symphony. More cool arpeggios that I love to play. Then the rest of the instruments kick in. This is where the same melodies start to get boring. Then they switch it up with a new riff and a lead guitar melody over it. Very epic as well. Forgettable solo by Kirk, and we're back to status quo. More riffing in different keys. Harmony part by James near the end. Then the intro is repeated, followed by a bombastic collection of closing chords. Instrumentals are always a hard thing to do without getting boring, and while this doesn't exactly avoid that, it's the best at keeping the listener on their toes. Definitely their best instrumental. 7.5/10.

Overall album thoughts - this is the most consistent album Metallica has. A couple great songs here and there. I don't think Metallica is ever going to come close to this with an album. I'm patiently waiting to see what 72 Seasons has to offer. 7.5/10.

Songs from this album that placed in my 2022 year-end top 100 songs - For Whom The Bell Tolls (#46), Fade To Black (#96) (These are the only Metallica songs that made my top 100 this year.)
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

For anyone that is interested, I have created a new thread to review shows you've been to.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5959
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:17 pm Schulzy, I don't know if you're a musician, but I certainly am. I started with piano in 2012 (which, to my mom's dismay, I have gradually phased out), then drums in 2014 (still my favorite instrument and the one I am best at), then guitar in 2016 (the instrument I play the most), and I only started singing in 2019 (backing vocals, lead was in 2020). I love to write songs and have been doing so since 2015, although I only started being serious in 2017. Since 2020, I have been recording some of my originals from time to time. Last year, I had the goal to write and record an entire album's worth of songs by the end of the summer. And that's exactly what I did. It's not an official album, but I consider it as a demo album. We call it Into The Vortex. Although I recorded all the instruments and vocals myself, it is credited to my band Headroom Karma because we plan to play these songs as a band. Also, each member contributed at least something to the album, with Carson writing two songs mostly by himself and helping me with others, and Ashton also helping me with some lyrics. There are also some outside writers: three friends that I used to write with. Anyway, I'm gonna try to do something risky and review this album as objectively as possible. Unfortunately, I can't entirely assume the position of an outside reviewer.
Nobody ever reviews their own albums man.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Dolo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:51 pm
Nobody ever reviews their own albums man.
I tried, man.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Halestorm......Dorothy.....Icon For Hire.....Shinedown?

Post by Schulzy »

Max, I listened to the whole Halestorm album while at work today. I think The Steeple is my favorite but sadly none of the other songs really stick out to me. Lzzy just seems like she's cranked to excessive levels. After the album was over SoundCloud kept playing other songs including I Miss The Misery. I was impressed by that one. Even more so was a band and song I'd never heard of called Dorothy - Rest In Peace. Southern bluesy rock and I really like the singer's sound. Not quite as aggressive as Lzzy. Also, did you ever check out Icon For Hire? I'd be curious what you think of Ariel. I'd suggest Gatekeepers off their most recent album. I know I'm going off on a bit of tangent/rant here but Shinedown's latest album Planet Zero may be some of the worst music I've ever heard - lyrically and musically - Brent doesn't even sound like a real human half the time. What A Shame....yes, pun intended.

maximzub
On The Rail

Re: Halestorm......Dorothy.....Icon For Hire.....Shinedown?

Post by maximzub »

Schulzy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:47 pm Max, I listened to the whole Halestorm album while at work today. I think The Steeple is my favorite but sadly none of the other songs really stick out to me. Lzzy just seems like she's cranked to excessive levels. After the album was over SoundCloud kept playing other songs including I Miss The Misery. I was impressed by that one. Even more so was a band and song I'd never heard of called Dorothy - Rest In Peace. Southern bluesy rock and I really like the singer's sound. Not quite as aggressive as Lzzy. Also, did you ever check out Icon For Hire? I'd be curious what you think of Ariel. I'd suggest Gatekeepers off their most recent album. I know I'm going off on a bit of tangent/rant here but Shinedown's latest album Planet Zero may be some of the worst music I've ever heard - lyrically and musically - Brent doesn't even sound like a real human half the time. What A Shame....yes, pun intended.
I can't say I really disagree with your opinion on Back From The Dead. I think a couple of the songs take a little getting into. Also, I'm sure I wouldn't have liked Wicked Ways and Strange Girl as much or at all if I hadn't seen the live videos first. If you ever want to revisit those songs, you should check out the two videos I included with my album review.

I have a good reason why I don't want to give Dorothy a chance. Remember the girl that I said was a big Halestorm fan? One of the songs she played all the time was Flawless by Dorothy. Since we now hate each other's guts, I hate that song and I could go my whole life without ever listening to it again.

Never heard of Icon For Hire. I might check them out.

Also never got into Shinedown. I like Second Chance and that's about it.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

If I have to give one band credit for getting me into playing guitar, it's YU Grupa. I've known them for most of my life, but I never really paid attention to them until around this time in 2017. It might even be on yesterday's date six years ago that I first put on their debut album YU Grupa 1973. Since then, they've become a strong influence on my playing. Dragi is one of my heroes and I'm so glad I got to meet the entire band in 2018. Their song "Nona/Kosovski božuri/Sama" is my favorite song of all time, and it probably will be for the rest of my life. I haven't listened to this album in a loooong time, but I will try my best to do a review of what I remember.

1. Trka (trans. The Race) - very cool intro with nice drumming. Then it launches into a great lead guitar riff over a groovy beat. Funky verse. The chorus just rocks! Mid-song, we get a solo by Dragi. I'm actually not a fan of this original solo, but rather by the live solo that his nephew Petar plays. Very interesting outro solo as well, which echoes the main lead guitar riff. Way to start the album rockin'. 8.5/10.

2. Νοć je moja (trans. The Night Is Mine) - man, I can't remember when was the last time I heard this song. I can hardly remember anything from the verses. What I do remember is that they were bluesy and the breaks in between alternated between guitar riffs and guitar solos. Rocks hard. Bass solo in the middle, surrounded by tremolo guitar chords. 8/10.

3. Čovek i marsovac (trans. The Man And The Martian) - I actually have heard this one recently as it once came up on my shuffle of all the music I have on my phone. Very interesting intro with fast pull-offs to the open G and D strings. Shuffle-time beat. One thing I have to say about these guys is that they never fail to sound like good old rock and roll. No exception here. A little bluesy chord shift in the chorus. Some wah on Dragi's guitar before each main riff (the pull-offs). I don't understand Serbian that much, but I do know that the lyrics of this song are particularly cheesy, as they are literally about a Martian falling to Earth from Mars and meeting a man. 8/10.

4. Čudna šuma (trans. Strange Forest) - this is one of their biggest hits. Although they typically don't play the guitar intro live this way, it's a really cool intro riff and it was one of the first things I learned to play on guitar by them. The verses and the choruses are rock and roll all the way. Singalong chorus. For some reason, the recording of the album version that I own has the guitar solo turned way down in the mix, so I'm not sure how it goes. The single version has a slightly different solo - it's pretty interesting and I must admit I borrowed a lick from it in one of my solos. The best version is the live version, where Petar and Dragi trade solos. They also skip the third verse, which I find helps the song a little. Rocks very hard and I'm glad I got to see this one live. 9/10.

(I will take a break and say that one reason I liked them so much back in 2017 is because we had recently bought a guitar that just happened to be the same guitar Dragi uses a lot. It can be seen in the video above.)

5. Trenutak sna (trans. A Moment Of Dream) - solid bluesy/old school rock song. Another one I haven't heard in a while. Not that impressive. 6.5/10.

6. Devojko mala, podigni glavu (trans. Little Girl, Raise Your Head) - one of the ballads on this album. Weak verses and instrumental chorus. Nice drumming in the chorus. Simple guitar solo. Another one that's not that impressive. 7/10.

7. Crni leptir (trans. Black Moth) - the other ballad. You know how a lot of bands like to use the simile "like moths to flames"? YU Grupa went a step further and wrote this song from the point of view of a moth flying into a streetlight and dying, and also from the point of view of someone telling the moths not to fly into the streetlights and to wait for the morning light instead. Great lyrically. Musically, it's also great. The lead guitar melody is classic. Dragi's brother Žika takes lead vocals on this song, and although he's not much of a singer like Dragi is, he carries this song on his vocals (with some harmonies by Dragi). Live, Dragi plays an insane solo to close out the song, which I love. One of my favorite songs by them, and my dad and I include it in our setlists. In fact, recently we made it into the one song that he sings on stage. 9/10.

8. More (trans. The Ocean) - slow 4/4 blues from beginning to end. Not sure what the solos are like in the studio version because I never really listen to it. One thing with YU Grupa is that their songs sound so much better live because they've evolved over the years. This is one drastic example - it's in 6/8 live instead of 4/4. Petar plays an amazing and epic solo in the middle, and Dragi closes it out with his own solo that's less epic but more bluesy and with more feel to it. 8/10.

Overall album thoughts - It's a great debut and a perfect example of straight-up rock and roll. That being said, the original studio album has that old style and production that I've grown distant from since first getting into them. Their modern sound is so much better. Although three songs from the album are live staples, and one makes the occasional appearance in their setlists, I don't know of any live recordings of half the album. I wish they would play those live so we can hear how they have evolved since this album came out almost 50 years ago. 8/10.

Songs from this album that placed in my 2022 year-end top 100 songs - None.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Re: Forget what I said.

Post by Schulzy »

maximzub wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:58 pm I have a good reason why I don't want to give Dorothy a chance. Remember the girl that I said was a big Halestorm fan? One of the songs she played all the time was Flawless by Dorothy. Since we now hate each other's guts, I hate that song and I could go my whole life without ever listening to it again.

Ouch, I'm sorry to have brought up Dorothy. Forget I said anything. Icon For Hire is fun. Ariel does a lot of different things with her voice. She can get a little squealy but also has that Lzzy bite. More rapping and some quiet moments too. Not sure if you will like her style or not. I think they started as more of a punk band but shifted to hard rock/hip hop. Her husband is the guitar player.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:58 pm
Schulzy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:47 pm Max, I listened to the whole Halestorm album while at work today. I think The Steeple is my favorite but sadly none of the other songs really stick out to me. Lzzy just seems like she's cranked to excessive levels. After the album was over SoundCloud kept playing other songs including I Miss The Misery. I was impressed by that one. Even more so was a band and song I'd never heard of called Dorothy - Rest In Peace. Southern bluesy rock and I really like the singer's sound. Not quite as aggressive as Lzzy. Also, did you ever check out Icon For Hire? I'd be curious what you think of Ariel. I'd suggest Gatekeepers off their most recent album. I know I'm going off on a bit of tangent/rant here but Shinedown's latest album Planet Zero may be some of the worst music I've ever heard - lyrically and musically - Brent doesn't even sound like a real human half the time. What A Shame....yes, pun intended.
I can't say I really disagree with your opinion on Back From The Dead. I think a couple of the songs take a little getting into. Also, I'm sure I wouldn't have liked Wicked Ways and Strange Girl as much or at all if I hadn't seen the live videos first. If you ever want to revisit those songs, you should check out the two videos I included with my album review.

I have a good reason why I don't want to give Dorothy a chance. Remember the girl that I said was a big Halestorm fan? One of the songs she played all the time was Flawless by Dorothy. Since we now hate each other's guts, I hate that song and I could go my whole life without ever listening to it again.

Also never got into Shinedown. I like Second Chance and that's about it.
Shinedown has been such a letdown over the years. I remember seeing them in 2005 and being so impressed. Great riffs, excellent voice and exciting songs. We got 3 excellent albums out of them and then they just chased the mainstream rock dollar, getting blander and blander as they go. They used to be up there with Alter Bridge in terms of the heavy-to-hooky ratio, Sound of Madness hit that balance so well. Then both bands went the opposite way from each other, AB embracing the proggier side and Shinedown getting poppier. AB made the right choice.... Shinedown not.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Crumbso wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:25 am Shinedown has been such a letdown over the years. I remember seeing them in 2005 and being so impressed. Great riffs, excellent voice and exciting songs. We got 3 excellent albums out of them and then they just chased the mainstream rock dollar, getting blander and blander as they go. They used to be up there with Alter Bridge in terms of the heavy-to-hooky ratio, Sound of Madness hit that balance so well. Then both bands went the opposite way from each other, AB embracing the proggier side and Shinedown getting poppier. AB made the right choice.... Shinedown not.
Is it really the wrong choice that Shinedown made when A. they seem to like the material created post-Sound of Madness, and B. have drawn a huge audience that attracts a wide range of demographics (which are a very good bunch to be around)? Now I love Leave a Whisper and Us and Them. Two great albums of my youth. I even bought a hockey jersey of theirs with the Leave a Whisper album cover.

However, the band seem fine with their direction they went nowadays, most of their fans seems fine with the direction with it, I'm so-so with it. It just so happens that a very small fragment of the fanbase is not ok with it. So is that really the wrong choice?

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

anguyen92 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:22 pm
Crumbso wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:25 am Shinedown has been such a letdown over the years. I remember seeing them in 2005 and being so impressed. Great riffs, excellent voice and exciting songs. We got 3 excellent albums out of them and then they just chased the mainstream rock dollar, getting blander and blander as they go. They used to be up there with Alter Bridge in terms of the heavy-to-hooky ratio, Sound of Madness hit that balance so well. Then both bands went the opposite way from each other, AB embracing the proggier side and Shinedown getting poppier. AB made the right choice.... Shinedown not.
Is it really the wrong choice that Shinedown made when A. they seem to like the material created post-Sound of Madness, and B. have drawn a huge audience that attracts a wide range of demographics (which are a very good bunch to be around)? Now I love Leave a Whisper and Us and Them. Two great albums of my youth. I even bought a hockey jersey of theirs with the Leave a Whisper album cover.

However, the band seem fine with their direction they went nowadays, most of their fans seems fine with the direction with it, I'm so-so with it. It just so happens that a very small fragment of the fanbase is not ok with it. So is that really the wrong choice?
Well, objectively, no. I just mean in my opinion and to my taste.

maximzub
On The Rail

No thanks to Icon For Hire.

Post by maximzub »

Schulzy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:56 am Icon For Hire is fun. Ariel does a lot of different things with her voice. She can get a little squealy but also has that Lzzy bite. More rapping and some quiet moments too. Not sure if you will like her style or not. I think they started as more of a punk band but shifted to hard rock/hip hop. Her husband is the guitar player.
So I just listened to Gatekeepers. As I feared, it's not up to my taste. The squealy part of her voice and the half-rapping annoys me, as do the hip-hop beats and the la-la-las.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Re: No thanks to Icon For Hire.

Post by Schulzy »

maximzub wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:48 pm So I just listened to Gatekeepers. As I feared, it's not up to my taste. The squealy part of her voice and the half-rapping annoys me, as do the hip-hop beats and the la-la-las.
No worries. Thanks for giving them a shot.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

It's been a hot minute since I last wrote an album review. How about I kill some time by writing a few more?

There are very few albums that I think have no bad songs on them, but War Of Angels by Pop Evil is one of them. This was the last of their albums that I feel retained their true style before they started artificially trying to live up to their name by emphasizing both the "pop" and the "evil" in their songs.

1. Last Man Standing - the first Pop Evil song I heard, and it was my favorite for a long time. Interesting syncopated riff to open it out. In fact, the riffs on the entire song are very cool. Offbeat vocals throughout the verse, and they sound defiant. Actually, Leigh sounds pretty angry in the rest of the song as well. The chorus is a headbanger, and it has a nice falsetto note to close it out. Nice drum fill before the second verse. The second-to-last chorus is half spoken, half lower register. Great driving song and it sucks that they stopped playing it live. 9/10.

2. Epitaph - this is a tempo that you never see in Pop Evil songs anymore. It sounds like it's inspired by Metallica. Very cool verse, with high notes in Leigh's vocals. Also a very nice pre-chorus melody. Not too happy about the chorus because it's sang over the main riff, which is something I don't like in songs. Forgettable bridge. Very nice solo, actually. It has some guitar harmonies near the end, which I don't think happens much in their other songs. The good guitar solos were one thing that they lost when Tony Greve left the band. Although Nick's a cool guy, I don't think he was able to fully replace Tony. Anyway, a screamed bridge? Nah. The song's a good slice of uptempo hard rock. 7/10.

3. Broken & Betrayed - I like the riff that starts the song out. Very nice vocal melodies in the verse and the pre-chorus. Wait, the pre-chorus melody? "Here we are once again / The truth is setting in". That's literally just the pre-chorus melody of I Will Not Bow by Breaking Benjamin. I always find it interesting when I hear a song whose melody sounds suspiciously like another song I've heard, only to find out that it was actually released first and the song I first heard was the one ripping it off. Anyway, a powerful chorus, which sometimes ends with a half-screamed "somebody save me!" Interesting bridge. The last bit before the last chorus is spoken again. Yet another slice of good modern hard rock. 7.5/10.

4. Monster You Made - the first of many ballads on this album and arguably the best. For some reason, I really like drop tuning arpeggios. They're different because they don't necessarily follow the typical open chords that you get with standard tunings. This one's really cool because it's in Drop C# but in the key of F minor. Very run-of-the-mill singing in the verses, but what more can you expect? Nice chorus. You just can't go wrong with a 6415 chord progression. That's why it's so common in songs of most genres. Great vocal melodies too. Not much more can be said about the song, but it's really great. I was worried that they wouldn't play any songs from this album when I saw them live, but since we were "a good enough crowd", they played this as an extra encore. It was the highlight of the show. 9/10.

5. Let It Go - another ballad. A little more country than the previous one. Very interesting chord progressions throughout. The strings add an extra layer to the song. More interesting vocal melodies throughout, especially the pre-chorus. There's a small guitar solo underneath the vocal bridge. That's something that happens throughout the album, actually. I don't think I've heard many bands do that. I don't listen to this one much, although I did a couple days ago for whatever reason. It always reminds me of all the girls I liked during the time period in which I listened to this song a lot. 7.5/10.

6. Boss's Daughter - we're back to rocky territory. Similar speed as Epitaph, with a simpler drop-tuned riff. The verse sounds like an 80's glam metal song, probably because Mick Mars from Motley Crue was a guest on the song and helped write it. Some interesting vocal harmonies in the second half of each verse ("she walks", "she moves", "she rides"). You don't usually hear major second intervals as harmonies. Guitar solo by Tony underneath the vocal bridge, and a guitar solo by Mick underneath the last chorus, during which Leigh hits some high notes that he doesn't hit elsewhere on the album. The lyrical content is a little overtly sexual for my taste. 7/10.

7. Daisy Chain - well, the name speaks for itself. It's way more overtly sexual than even the last song. Great main riff though. The verse melody is okay but the chorus melody starts to get a little monotonous. Cool half-time drumming at the end of each chorus. Finally we get another solo that's not underneath any vocal parts. It's a simple one but effective and better than pretty much any solo on their later albums. This one might be the closest to the post-grunge style of their debut album. Probably my least favorite song on this album. 6.5/10.

8. Purple - another ballad. Sounds very country and I swear I've heard some of these guitar melodies in another song. Nice melodies throughout. Basically the same lyrical theme and song structure as Let It Go. That's really all I have to say about it. I haven't heard this one in a long time so I can't say much. 7/10.

9. Black & Blue - now this one is a standout track. Cool riff...but it sounds a lot like another riff I know, and that would be Moon Baby by Godsmack. Seriously, until I wrote this review, I didn't realize the amount of ripping off other bands that this album does. Then again, sometimes it's better to wear your influences on your sleeve in order to create good music that people will like. But back to this song. Some lower register singing from Leigh in the verses, which is a nice break from the other songs. I think what grabs me particularly about this song is the chorus melody and harmonies. Also, there's some nice lead guitar melodies in both the verses and the choruses. The bridge is a little jarring as it changes to angry riffs and vocals, which the rest of the song isn't like. Another solo under the outro vocals. Sadly, I think it would have been better off having the solo be the main focus, as it's a really good solo. 9/10.

10. Next Life - ANOTHER rip-off of another band? The intro arpeggio sounds a lot like Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden. However, instead of Drop D, this one is in Standard D. I still haven't figured out how to play it this way. Nice verse, where Leigh alternates between full voice and falsetto. Very interesting chord progressions in the chorus, which is great and one of the best on this album. Yet another solo underneath the bridge, and the song seems to end after it before going into the last chorus. The most standout part of this song is that the lyrics and the chords of the last chorus are very different than in the first two choruses. I think this reflects the theme of the main character of the song dying and joining their partner in the next life. Way to close out the album. I actually never thought of that before. 8/10.

Note - There are three bonus tracks on this album: Good With The Bad, Unstoppable, and Save The World. I can't remember ever hearing Save The World. The other two I've heard, but it was on terrible phone speakers turned down to minimum volume, and I wasn't really paying attention. So I can't really say anything about them in this review.

Overall album thoughts - it's a very consistent album. Maybe the balance is tipped more in favor of ballads than harder rock songs. But the ballads are sweet and the heavy songs rock hard. The production is also solid as well. It's minimally processed except for some vocal tricks here and there. It's really too bad that they don't play songs from this album live anymore, except maybe Monster You Made or Purple as a mid-set ballad. 8.5/10.

Songs from this album that placed in my 2022 year-end top 100 songs - Last Man Standing (#63), Monster You Made (#91)
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Skittler
Brand New Start

Post by Skittler »

Just listened to Paramore's new album This Is Why hoping to hear signs on what made them one of my favorite Emo Rock bands of the mid-2000s. Not finding it here. More Indy Pop that I just can't stomach. Not that I have anything against the genre, but when you're introduced to a group and become a fan because of their initial style, it becomes a tough pill to swallow when they deviate so much. I can't say I'm a fan anymore. I give up on them ever being a rock band again.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

The newest theory deadman and Nickelback albums suck. But their 2nd most recent albums (feed machine and say nothing) are okay.