The Official LIFEHOUSE Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

The Official LIFEHOUSE Thread

Post by Andy92 »

Thought I'd make this thread since the band has a new album coming out soon. I loved Lifehouse's debut album, and I'm a fan of most of their material. Their new single, Between the Raindrops, is going to debut on September 11 for digital download. You can hear a snippet of the song here:

http://soundcloud.com/igamusic/lifehous ... he/s-mzMMd
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Macca
Greg

Re: The Official LIFEHOUSE Thread

Post by Macca »

I used to love Lifehouse, back towards the latter half of my high school days they were arguably my favourite band along with the Goo Goo Dolls. Yeah I used to be a big pop rock guy. Unlike the Goo's though, who I still listen to today, my love for them has waned over the years. No Name Face is a good album though.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, I like some of their older stuff. Storm, Everything, Broken are all beautiful songs, and I love to play them on my acoustic guitar.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I typically like their older stuff more as well. No Name Face and Who We Are are my favorite albums. And I agree Tim, I got into them when I started playing acoustic guitar since they have some beautiful guitar parts.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

New album comes out tomorrow for anyone who's interested. Might already be out in Europe and some places, not 100% sure.

Rosenblaetter
Loyal Follower

Post by Rosenblaetter »

It is out in Europe.

I wasn't delighted at first but I must say I like it more and more!
More moderate than 'Smoke & Mirrors' but I don't mind.
FYI I'm a woman.
--------------------
Past shows: Alter Bridge 10.11 NL, Kensington 11.11 NL, Alter Bridge 16.11 PL
Future shows: Kensington 15.02 DE, Kensington 17.02 PL, Rival Sons 18.02 PL

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I wasn't too thrilled about the album as a whole on first listen. Aftermath is my definite favorite, and some of the others are starting to grow on me. But it doesn't feel like the album is very strong compared to a lot of their previous records.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Can't say that I really like this CD too much so far, but I haven't listened to it a whole lot yet. I'm definitely getting a lot more of a "country" vibe from a lot of songs though. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely not my personal preference, and it definitely brought the album down for me.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The whole album seems really mellow throughout. I do miss their more upbeat side from stuff like Hanging By A Moment, First Time, All In, etc. I love the band for their soft side too, but this album didn't really feature that signature sound either other than in Aftermath. I like seeing bands experimenting with change, but I can't personally say this change was really for the better.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Agreed. That's pretty much exactly how I feel.

Decay

Post by Decay »

I've been listening to Almeria since it came out. It's a really good album.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Love this song. Glad to hear Lifehouse sounding more like their roots.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/polHMqkLJPE[/youtube]

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Thank gawd they ditched the almeria sound
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

They bought out the contract from their label after that album. Probably label pressure to go towards the pop sound on that album.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Their new album, Out Of The Wasteland has been streaming on Pandora this week. I listened to it once, and it's pretty good. Much better than Almeria in my opinion. No Name Face and Who We Are will probably always be my favorites, but this one's a pretty nice listen.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Somehow I've stumbled upon Stanley Climbfall and wow! This album really feels a lot like Creed. Not in a derivative way but more in the sense that if you liked Creed's first three records you'll likely enjoy this album. Its also the only Lifehouse album to actually be hard rock as opposed to their more pop/adult contemporary sound. I remember listening to No Name Face and Almeria in high school and only liking a handful of songs, but Stanley Climbfall is a solid record. Maybe I'll revisit their discography and see if there's any other Creed-like moments or style.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

FYI, The fact that you were listening to Almeria in high school makes me feel really old, lol.

Stanley Climbfall and No Name Face are easily my 2 favorite albums of theirs, though most of their discography is pretty good. Almeria is actually their most different sounding album, and is easily their worst one, IMO...I don't think that sound worked for them at all.

While I only listen to their first 2 albums on a fairly regular basis these days, from memory I believe that their self-titled album that came out after Stanley Climbfall is a bit softer and a little closer to their debut album in tone, while Who We Are and Smoke and Mirrors both go a little closer in the Stanley Climbfall direction, though it's not quite there. I remember Out of the Wasteland being pretty decent as well, but only really listened to it a handful of times back when it came out, so I can't really remember too many specifics about it.

All that said, I'm not so sure I get much Creed vibes from any of their discography personally, as they always felt a little more pop-rock than Creed to me. Though it's easily their "heaviest" album, I definitely wouldn't even really consider Stanley Climbfall to be hard rock, just more of a solid alt rock record, IMO.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

It came out my last year of highschool! Also my favorite year. :) To be honest I was being a little diplomatic. Almeria was really 'One More Light' before One More Light if you know what I mean. The whole album is pure pop and the only song I enjoy enough to regularly revisit is Only You're the One. You are correct! I remember You and Me playing at my confirmation retreat, and I see what you mean. The song Whatever it Takes is a bit more punchy than their softer tracks. I'll be sure to check out those albums you named since I know little about all four albums outside of like one song or two.

That's true. While its heavy by Lifehouse's standards, I guess in hindsight nothing on the album goes toe to toe with a Say I or Freedom Fighter... or even really a Higher or My Sacrifice. Even Creed's catchier songs pack a pretty good punch. Regardless, I was impressed just because Lifehouse seemed exclusively pop rock on the surface. It was nice to hear something with more edge.

For the sake of conversing, here's a little personal fun fact about Lifehouse. In 2012 I went through a HUGE resurgence in my spirituality. Definitely needed. While I didn't abandon the other rock bands I liked, for a while I wanted to only listen to bands that fueled that spirituality and Lifehouse was a definite candidate. I listened to all of No Name Face and while songs like Hanging by a Moment, Everything, and Someone Else's Song absolutely captured those feelings for me, the rest of the album unfortunately fell short. I'll revisit it one more time though since Stanley Climbfall caught my attention. And several months later into that year, when my final semester began, I decided to listen to this Creed I heard so much about throughout the years, played Torn, and the rest as they say is history :^)

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Devil Inside You wrote:It came out my last year of highschool! Also my favorite year. :) To be honest I was being a little diplomatic. Almeria was really 'One More Light' before One More Light if you know what I mean. The whole album is pure pop and the only song I enjoy enough to regularly revisit is Only You're the One. You are correct! I remember You and Me playing at my confirmation retreat, and I see what you mean. The song Whatever it Takes is a bit more punchy than their softer tracks. I'll be sure to check out those albums you named since I know little about all four albums outside of like one song or two.

That's true. While its heavy by Lifehouse's standards, I guess in hindsight nothing on the album goes toe to toe with a Say I or Freedom Fighter... or even really a Higher or My Sacrifice. Even Creed's catchier songs pack a pretty good punch. Regardless, I was impressed just because Lifehouse seemed exclusively pop rock on the surface. It was nice to hear something with more edge.

For the sake of conversing, here's a little personal fun fact about Lifehouse. In 2012 I went through a HUGE resurgence in my spirituality. Definitely needed. While I didn't abandon the other rock bands I liked, for a while I wanted to only listen to bands that fueled that spirituality and Lifehouse was a definite candidate. I listened to all of No Name Face and while songs like Hanging by a Moment, Everything, and Someone Else's Song absolutely captured those feelings for me, the rest of the album unfortunately fell short. I'll revisit it one more time though since Stanley Climbfall caught my attention. And several months later into that year, when my final semester began, I decided to listen to this Creed I heard so much about throughout the years, played Torn, and the rest as they say is history :^)
You know, this just made me realize that there's an interesting parallel that I never really considered with Lifehouse and Creed, in that they've often been (and sometimes still are) mislabeled as a Christian band, because various aspects of the singers' faith very obviously bleed through in their lyrics. For this reason I can absolutely relate to your story in them assisting in a resurgence in my spirituality as well, whether that was the intention of their music or not.

No Name Face actually came out when I was a sophomore in high school, which was a particularly difficult time in my life, mostly because of my social awkwardness and always feeling "left out", among other typical things you deal with as a teenager in high school that I just didn't handle very well. There were quite a few songs on that album that hit me pretty hard and helped me through some rough times...and though it's probably not the most interesting song musically, their song Simon really holds a special place in my heart as a song that I really needed to hear at the time. I also really liked Quasimodo, though there's this weird audio effect that persists in the background through the verses that really drives me crazy and almost ruins the song.

But yeah, ultimately Lifehouse is just a very special band for me, especially those first 2 albums.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Pretty much dude! And I guess its a double edged sword for both bands. On one end they are often placed into a niche they don't quite belong in. However, on the other end that placement broadens their appeal to so many people who may not have looked twice otherwise. I became a fan of Creed initially because of their spiritual undertones, but ultimately what kept them around was how well they blend in to Grunge/Post Grunge. They fit perfectly among my other favorite bands (Stone Temple Pilots, Fuel, Days of the New etc etc).

Don't get me started on social awkwardness as a teenager. I wouldn't say my life stopped being cringy til I turned 18 lol I was just about to ask about Simon! I see that song and Everything typically referred to as the most moving songs on the album. It wasn't my cup of tea but I never forgot how heartfelt it was musically and lyrically, and it makes me happy to see it pulled you out of that dark place in the way My Sacrifice did for me. Quasimodo is another solid track off No Name Face, Wade really shows off his range in that song. I don't think I've noticed that effect so I'm gonna try and pretend you didn't say that so I don't always think of it when I play it lol. You inspired me dude! I'm gonna listen to Lifehouse's discography this weekend, starting from Out of the Wasteland and back up to No Name Face again. Give em' one more shot 8 years later.