Official GREEN DAY Thread.

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Josiah

Official GREEN DAY Thread.

Post by Josiah »

Fuck the haters. Amiright? I love Green Day. Most of their lyrics are genius. Especially on American Idiot. Absolutely stunning. Green Day also puts on the best concerts of any band out there in my opinion. They're fantastic show men.

They're coming out with 3 new albums soon. They've released 3 new songs from one of them. "Oh Love", "Kill The DJ", and "Let Yourself Go" My favorite is let yourself go. It has a pretty bad ass solo.

Macca
Greg

Re: Official GREEN DAY Thread.

Post by Macca »

Do we have a thread for worst thread nominations yet?
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Josiah wrote:Fuck the haters. Amiright? I love Green Day. Most of their lyrics are genius.
The lyrics on the new songs are horrible..

I'm not a hater btw.. I covered 'American Idiot' with my band in my early teens so there's something nostalgic about that song, and I still think 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' is a really beautiful song but besides that... I don't really care for anything else they've done tbh.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

I have some nostalgia for the Dookie era fun Green Day but they lost me ever since they tried (and failed, imo) to be more serious with American Idiot.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

sflonstage
Brand New Start

Post by sflonstage »

I read too many people calling them sellouts. Not here, but in general on the web and it just annoys me. The whole term of sellout, or what it used to mean has really changed a lot in recent years. My hat off to Green Day for growing as a band instead of doing what AC/DC has done and just redid the same album over and over and over pulling the wool over the worlds eyes.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

Nick wrote:I have some nostalgia for the Dookie era fun Green Day but they lost me ever since they tried (and failed, imo) to be more serious with American Idiot.
How exactly did they fail? That album shifted over 14 million copies worldwide. They really weren't saying anything that everybody else wasn't thinking (politically speaking at that time), people just didn't expect it from them.

Anyway.........I love me some Green Day, great live band - I can't believe the first time I saw them live was 17 years ago!!

Nick
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Nick »

facepollution wrote:
Nick wrote:I have some nostalgia for the Dookie era fun Green Day but they lost me ever since they tried (and failed, imo) to be more serious with American Idiot.
How exactly did they fail? That album shifted over 14 million copies worldwide. They really weren't saying anything that everybody else wasn't thinking (politically speaking at that time), people just didn't expect it from them.

Anyway.........I love me some Green Day, great live band - I can't believe the first time I saw them live was 17 years ago!!
They failed for me, I mean.
gbruin wrote:Everything Nick says is true. Even when he disagrees with me. Then it's extra true.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

How many times do we need to have the discussion that lots of record sales =/= good music?

sflonstage
Brand New Start

Post by sflonstage »

Macca wrote:How many times do we need to have the discussion that lots of record sales =/= good music?
I think it's more or less also saying, there can't be that many people that think they suck because obviously someones buying the records and going to the shows. Same goes for a band like Nickelback.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

That's because the vast majority of music listeners are happy to take whatever is forcefed to them through the media. People with genuine interest in music aren't so easily swayed.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

Macca wrote:How many times do we need to have the discussion that lots of record sales =/= good music?
That wasn't my point. I was asking how a record that sold 14 million copies could be deemed a failure?

Musically speaking it wasn't really a grand departure for Green Day, sure they had some new ideas, but in general it was the same musical blue print. The only real difference was the lyrical content, which was pretty polarizing, and some people think they bit off more than they could chew. I personally don't think the band were trying to make quite the grand statement that people thought they were, it was just their personal expression of how they felt about the political and social climate at the time - which just so happened to strike a chord with a lot of other people who were feeling the same way.

sflonstage
Brand New Start

Post by sflonstage »

Macca wrote:That's because the vast majority of music listeners are happy to take whatever is forcefed to them through the media. People with genuine interest in music aren't so easily swayed.
There's a difference between being a music fan and a snob though too. There are people who complain about things being formulaic or following the classic pattern. If that's the case does that mean if The Beatles were to come out today their hits that followed that standard suit would be considered 'generic' or too formulaic. Personally, I don't think people know the difference between something becoming a standard and 'generic.'
At the end of the day for most people it doesn't matter whether the people are good or bad players, have incredible vocals, or have some insane solo; they just want to hear a good song. And if it sticks with them, cool. Musically Green Day really hasn't changed much. They've just grown up and matured a little bit.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Yeah I am a bit of a music snob, I'll give you that. I don't care about technical proficiency or that though nearly as much as I used to. I'm much more impressed by good songwriting these days than I am by technical proficiency, being technically gifted means fuck all if you can't write good songs, what I like to call "the Dream Theater effect". Unfortunately, for me, Green Day fail at both..

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

At the end of the day, Green Day doesn't try very hard.. and it shows. Macca nailed it, I think. They lack in technical prowess, songwriting and soul. It's very fundamental music. But then again they've sold millions of records and will probably sell millions more... I guess I just don't get it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Not a fan of the new stuff. Insomniac is one of my favorite albums. Good to listen to on a short (very short) drive. I'm also the rare fan that likes Warning. Fun sing-a-long songs on there.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Josiah

Post by Josiah »

You guys should look up the lyric meanings to any song on American idiot. The song writting really is fantastic. Jesus of Suburbia is one of my favorite lyrical songs of all time.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

Josiah wrote:You guys should look up the lyric meanings to any song on American idiot. The song writting really is fantastic. Jesus of Suburbia is one of my favorite lyrical songs of all time.
Definitely, Jesus Of Suburbia is a masterpiece.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

NytestrykerZ wrote:At the end of the day, Green Day doesn't try very hard.. and it shows. Macca nailed it, I think. They lack in technical prowess, songwriting and soul. It's very fundamental music. But then again they've sold millions of records and will probably sell millions more... I guess I just don't get it.
I'd say Tre Cool is more than a proficient drummer, and Mike Dirnt's written some mean basslines in his time e.g. Longview.

I don't know how you can say they lack soul when they write songs like Good Riddance, Wake Me Up When September Ends and Macy's Day Parade. No I'm not as emotionally connected to them as I am a band like say Pearl Jam, but I don't doubt that they are just as passionate about what they do.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

I respect your opinion. I can't find soul in it mainly because I find Billy Joe's voice monotonous.

facepollution
Bought The CDs

Post by facepollution »

NytestrykerZ wrote:I respect your opinion. I can't find soul in it mainly because I find Billy Joe's voice monotonous.
Well geez, not everyone's got a voice like Myles Kennedy :lol

I suppose the same could be said about singers like Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, or Joe Strummer though.......

Anyway, I still think that for what they do, they do it well.