The Official AVENGED SEVENFOLD Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Green_Hammock
Brand New Start

Re: The Official AVENGED SEVENFOLD Thread

Post by Green_Hammock »

The new album is fantastic! I've listened to it a couple of times now. Sunny Disposition, Exist, Roman Sky, Simulation are my favourites so far. It's such a different sound here but it's a lot more like the A7X that I fell in love with when I was 13.

Green_Hammock
Brand New Start

Post by Green_Hammock »

The podcast with Jericho was really good, Shadows and Gates were on there and shared some pretty interesting things about the new album. What took me by surprise is that they will be adding songs onto the album, there are about 7 songs and it looks like they will release them gradually onto the album.

I also love what they were talking about with their setlist, they put in a lot of older songs and talked about changing up their setlist from night to night, even if they aren't rehearsed perfectly just because it's what the fans really want. I wish that Alter Bridge took this approach and changed things up.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Exist is an achievement for sure. Brilliant structure, lots of space and what a fantastically beautiful outro. I also think Creating God is catchy as all hell.

Still a lot to digest but there are some real highlights on this album. Who knew that A7X would go full prog? It's what I wished Dream Theater was!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

They've done it without being too wanky and sacrificing the songs. That's quite an achievement.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Yeah. Everything is still very direct. Most of the innovation comes from structure and instrumentation rather than overdubbing.

The production also keeps things simple, perhaps a little too raw in places, but it makes things less overwhelming in general. This is a very mature record compared to their previous output and I was always a fan since their 2007 self titled.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

My comment wasn't an attack on Alter Bridge or anything. I think this album could've been produced a lot better as well.

But I agree with you on all the rest!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

My only complaint is that it's a little too "soft" for my liking. I love some of the arrangements and how well the long songs flow (the bridge of The Stage being one of the examples). I just miss some of the heavier punch from songs like Nightmare. Definitely an improvement over their last album that was way too simplistic, and the progressive writing is something to be impressed by. But it's not a perfect A7X record for me because it misses some of that signature sound that makes them great...in my opinion of course.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Timotheus wrote:My comment wasn't an attack on Alter Bridge or anything. I think this album could've been produced a lot better as well.

But I agree with you on all the rest!
Oh I didn't take it that way at all.

Flet
Brand New Start

Post by Flet »

AB4Lyfe wrote:15 minute song, woo!!!
Yeah, but it's only good for the first 7 minutes. I can't stand the second half. They ruined it. I just cut off the song and added space sounds to smooth it out. Much better as an all instrumental.

As for the rest of the album, it's pretty good, but sonically it sounds like it was recorded in a tin can. It's very thin. I know they tried to stop the loudness war, but that doesn't mean it should sound thin. It ain't no Metallica Black Album.

Flet
Brand New Start

Post by Flet »

Andy92 wrote:My only complaint is that it's a little too "soft" for my liking. I love some of the arrangements and how well the long songs flow (the bridge of The Stage being one of the examples). I just miss some of the heavier punch from songs like Nightmare. Definitely an improvement over their last album that was way too simplistic, and the progressive writing is something to be impressed by. But it's not a perfect A7X record for me because it misses some of that signature sound that makes them great...in my opinion of course.

Agreed completely.

ESPImperium
Bought The CDs

Post by ESPImperium »

Just saw them on Tuesday night and have to say they are brilliant live! God Damn and Creating God stand up well live!

And they performed my favourites in Almost Easy and Nightmare. The girls in the audience lost their minds at A Little Piece Of Heaven.

The Plotblocker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by The Plotblocker »

Still really enjoying the new album. But it hasn;t topped Nightmare for me. Just listening to that album now and it is just soooo fucking good. The second solo in Victim gives me chills every time!
"Something something deny..... Something something blame..." - Myles Kennedy - Every lyric writing session.