The Official DREAM THEATER Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
ODR
Brand New Start

Re: The Official DREAM THEATER Thread

Post by ODR »

^yeah Sherinian has a very different style to rudess so it would be really hard for him. BUt he's still a descent keyboardist

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Can't wait.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/gABECAxp58w[/youtube]

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I thought that trailer was really cool. Recently I've gone off Dream Theater a bit, I think it's because I discovered Porcupine Tree, I didn't realise you could be prog without all the musical wankery :lol so I haven't listened to them in a while, but that trailer actually did get me excited, and I'll probably buy the DVD. Shame about no live audio though.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

New Labrie album...

After the much acclaimed "Static Impulse" release in 2010, Dream Theater's Jame LaBrie is back with a powerful new studio album effort entitled "Impermanent Resonance", to be released on July 29th, 2013 in Europe and August 6th, 2013 in North America via InsideOutMusic.

"Impermanent Resonance" was once again conceived together with LaBrie's songwriting partner for over a dozen years now, Matt Guillory, who didn't only take the leading role in the composing of the song material, but also handled all of the keyboard recordings as well as background vocals.

The line-up on this diverse and extremely entertaining new album also features Marco Sfogli from Italy on guitar, Ray Riendeau (Halford, Machines of Loving Grace) on bass and Dream Theater audition's finalist Peter Wildoer (Darkane, Majestic, Arch Enemy, etc.) from Sweden on drums, making it the same line-up for the group as on the previous "Static Impulse" release. Furthermore, former Soilwork guitarist Peter Wichers was also added to the fold for songwriting and guitar recording contributions.

James LaBrie comments about "Impermanent Resonance" as follows:
"To me this album incorporates and continues with the styles and musical direction that we have created with the previous releases. The difference being that the music on this disc is to me a true telling of the songs evolving and taking on a sense of identity that is every band's ultimate goal. It is powerful, memorable, hook-driven and above all extremely musical. It shows how the writing and the band itself have matured. I truly feel that this is our quintessential album."

"Impermanent Resonance" was once again mixed and mastered at Sweden's Fascination Street recording studios (Kreator, Opeth, Paradise Lost, Symphony X, etc.) with Jens Bogren and this time also Tony Lindgren. Visually, Canadian LaBrie hooked up with Gustavo Sazes / abstrata.net (Arch Enemy, Firewind, Kamelot, etc.) to capture and translate the intense album's atmosphere into the extremely striking artwork, which can be seen above.

Some of the songs included on "Impermanent Resonance", which combines the heaviness of Gothenburg-Sound influenced Progressive Metal with the catchiness of contemporary Rock, are
"Agony", "Back On The Ground", "Undertow", "I Got You" or also "Amnesia".

More details about the upcoming album and first sound samples will be revealed soon...

"Impermanent Resonance" Line-Up:
James LaBrie - Lead Vocals
Matt Guillory - Keyboards, Background Vocals
Marco Sfogli - Guitars
Ray Riendeau - Bass
Peter Wildoer - Drums, Screams

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Self-titled record arrives on September 24th. Can't wait!

Roadrunner Records has announced the eagerly anticipated new album from the legendary Dream Theater. “DREAM THEATER” – the first self-titled collection in the GRAMMY®-nominated band’s nearly three decade career – arrives at last on September 24th.

“DREAM THEATER” was recorded at Cove City Sound Studios in Glen Cove, New York, with founding guitarist John Petrucci producing and studio luminary Richard Chycki (Aerosmith, Rush) engineering and mixing. The album marks a brilliant new chapter for the always adventurous band, their first to have been written and recorded with drummer Mike Mangini wholly integrated into the creative process from the start.

“I see every new album as an opportunity to start over,” says Petrucci. “To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground. This is the first self-titled album of our career and there is nothing I can think of that makes a statement of musical and creative identity stronger than that. We’ve fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic. We’re incredibly excited about ‘DREAM THEATER’ and can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

“DREAM THEATER” will be available in a wide range of distinctive versions, including standard and special edition CDs, 180 Gram Vinyl Double LP, and a Limited Edition Box Set. Pre-orders are scheduled to get underway sometime in July at the Roadrunner Records Webstore.

“DREAM THEATER” follows 2011’s acclaimed “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS.” That album – highlighted by “On The Backs Of Angels,” which earned the iconic band its first ever GRAMMY® Award nomination (in the “Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance” category) – proved one of Dream Theater’s most successful, making top 10 chart debuts in 14 countries, including our own Billboard 200. “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” was hailed for its ambition, complexity, and sheer melodic power, with Japan’s influential BURRN! naming it as the year’s “Best Album.”

Furthermore, the special edition CD/DVD set of “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” included “The Spirit Carries On” – a 60-minute movie documenting Dream Theater’s drummer auditions, which resulted in the addition of the gifted Mangini. The challenge spurred Dream Theater to extraordinary artistic heights on “A DRAMATIC TURN OF EVENTS” and the epic world tour that followed. Long known as one of hard rock’s most powerful live acts, the recalibrated band hit the road hard in celebration of the acclaimed album, a 15-month trek which saw sold out headline shows in 35 countries across North America, Europe, Asia, Central America, and South America.

With total sales exceeding 10 million albums and DVDs worldwide, Dream Theater have long stood among the upper echelon of hard rock giants. Albums such as 1992’s RIAA gold-certified classic “IMAGES & WORDS” (featuring the breakthrough top 10 single, “Pull Me Under”) have earned the Long Island-based band countless accolades for their visionary synthesis of melodic power and virtuosic experimentation, including being named as one of Rolling Stone’s top 10 “Best Prog Rock Bands of All time.”

Since uniting with Roadrunner in 2007, Dream Theater has unleashed a series of remarkable albums, each work revealing stunning new musical facets and creative avenues. 2009’s “BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS” proved a milestone, debuting at #6 on the Billboard 200 – the band’s highest album chart debut to date.

Dream Theater will tour in support of “DREAM THEATER” – full details will be announced soon. For up-to-the-minute news and information, please visit www.dreamtheater.net/tourdates.

Dream Theater is: John Petrucci (guitar), John Myung (bass), James LaBrie (vocals), Jordan Rudess (keyboards and continuum) and Mike Mangini (drums).
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Can't wait either!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/EIjhQhm1JvU[/youtube]

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Me three!

Interesting they have a specific release date. Anyone know if they have fully completed recording and what phase the album is in right now?
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

New Labrie single...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/AqOHNPdh1Pw[/youtube]

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Track listing & album art! :headbang

1. FALSE AWAKENING SUITE
i. Sleep Paralysis
ii. Night Terrors
iii. Lucid Dream
2. THE ENEMY INSIDE
3. THE LOOKING GLASS
4. ENIGMA MACHINE
5. THE BIGGER PICTURE
6. BEHIND THE VEIL
7. SURRENDER TO REASON
8. ALONG FOR THE RIDE
9. ILLUMINATION THEORY
i. Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire
ii. Live, Die, Kill
iii. The Embracing Circle
iv. The Pursuit of Truth
v. Surrender, Trust & Passion

Dream Theater’s self-titled album – the band’s 12th studio release overall, and fourth with Roadrunner Records – will be released September 24, and now you can check out the cover art and see the track listing below!

Says guitarist John Petrucci about Dream Theater, “I see every new album as an opportunity to start over. To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground. This is the first self-titled album of our career and there is nothing I can think of that makes a statement of musical and creative identity stronger than that. We’ve fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic. We’re incredibly excited about Dream Theater and can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

The nine-track disc was recorded at Cove City Studio in Glen Cove, Long Island, with guitarist Petrucci producing and Richard Chycki engineering and mixing. It’s the band’s second album with drummer Mike Mangini, and the first one on which he was a part of the writing process from Day One.

In January, Petrucci said of Mangini’s work, “When people hear the drumming on this album, they’re gonna be pretty freaked out. On the last album, he did a great job, but he wasn’t there for the writing process and he was interpreting drum parts that I had programmed. Even though he used his creativity, of course, to change them up and do his thing, I feel like now he’s just Mike Mangini unleashed. It’s all him. It’s all his creativity, all his decisions and ideas and man, the guy’s an animal.”

Dream Theater will be available in a wide range of distinctive versions, including standard and special edition CDs, 180 gram double LP, and a limited edition boxed set. Pre-orders are scheduled to launch in July at the Roadrunner Records Webstore.

Dream Theater will be on tour in Europe in January and February 2014, and in North America in March 2014.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Sweet, always excited when a new Dream Theater album drops! Can't wait to hear what Mangini can REALLY bring to the table for them.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Looks like the closer will be like 20 minutes. :lol
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Andy92 wrote:Looks like the closer will be like 20 minutes. :lol
:lol I wouldn't be surprised if it was pushing closer to 30 minutes

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

9 tracks within which 2 have few parts? Man, that's going to be freaking long record!

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Dayviewer
Isolated

Post by Dayviewer »

Shouldn't be long perse, one of those tracks could just be an interlude of like 2 or 3 minutes.
Looking forward to this, should be good
Formerly known as Benjami

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/yTPg6xpZkG0[/youtube]

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I hope there won't be many instrumental wanking parts on that upcoming record. Hopefully they focused on writing tracks based on certain concepts, not long jamming-improvisations.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

dolo1993 wrote:I hope there won't be many instrumental wanking parts on that upcoming record. Hopefully they focused on writing tracks based on certain concepts, not long jamming-improvisations.
Soooo.....you want Dream Theater to not be Dream Theater?! ;)

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

VigilantSteve wrote:
dolo1993 wrote:I hope there won't be many instrumental wanking parts on that upcoming record. Hopefully they focused on writing tracks based on certain concepts, not long jamming-improvisations.
Lol, man, please do not exaggerate. Look at songs like Another Day, To Live Forever, The Spirit Carries On. Do they contain any wankage? No, they are beatifully written on some particular concept.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I hope so. The majority of Dream Theater's catalogue is now unlistenable for me. I used to love these guys, but their instrumental wanking parts are completely redundant and in most cases add absolutely nothing to do the song. I can't listen to Images and Words, Scenes from a Memory, Systematic Chaos or Black Clouds anymore.

The first disc of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is brilliant though, along with parts of Awake.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

dolo1993 wrote:
VigilantSteve wrote:
Lol, man, please do not exaggerate. Look at songs like Another Day, To Live Forever, The Spirit Carries On. Do they contain any wankage? No, they are beatifully written on some particular concept.
Sure, there are songs of theirs that don't contain much, if any, "wankage"...I wasn't really saying that. But when you look at their albums as a whole there are large portions of songs, if not full songs, that are made up of large jamming instrumental sections. I can't really think of any of their albums that don't, and don't really expect this one to either.