PRS Tremonti SE Custom vs. PRS Tremonti 2013

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
rockit2112
TABN.com Citizen

Re: PRS Tremonti SE Custom vs. PRS Tremonti 2013

Post by rockit2112 »

AllC392Was wrote:YES!! Just bought a PRS Tremonti SE!!! So excited. I got this bad boy on ebay for $335.. So hope it all works out
Wow, that's awesome! You'll love it. Is it a stop tail or trem?

rockit2112
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rockit2112 »

I think the Tremonti SE's are great, great guitars, especially if you find one that really sings. There are always some that just stand out from the others. Like a few guys have already said though, all SE's in general really reach their potential after switching out some parts, mainly the nut, tuners, and pickups/electronics. I find the main problem with my Zach Myers SE is the tuning is much less stable than my US models.

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

rockit, based on the price on eBay, he got the stoptail. The SE Customs (trem) aren't even being sold on eBay used yet. Good info on the SEs, I have one or two guys who can do all that work. Question for me becomes though, who to order from? Amazon? eBay? Fret 12? buy direct at Guitar Center?

MRWendt
Brand New Start

Post by MRWendt »

Definitely get if from Fret12, that way you get all the extras like an autographed electronics cover and album cover and an assortment of other goodies!

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

Question is, can they do the upgrade work so I don't have to?

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

Yes they can. They have a tech

rockit2112
TABN.com Citizen

Post by rockit2112 »

I've bought from all the big name stores, and Fret12 tops them all by a mile. Tim will hook you up with a great deal and a bunch of cool goodies, and they should be able to do some mods for you.

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

that's really good to know. I've spoken to Tim a few times regarding the Artist session, he's a really cool dude and his customer service is excellent. I've only been able to play one Tremonti SE Custom at Guitar Center, and it plays nicely, but that's the only drawback to ordering from Fret12, you can't try the guitar before buying it. Luckily enough, GCs SE Custom didn't completely floor me, and I have a feeling there's much better out there. I'll eventually make the purchase, hoping sooner rather than later.

TTournier
White Knuckled

Post by TTournier »

Hey Hey Hey!!

Worry not man - Im the guy who handles the guitars and nothing leaves this place without me going over it!

Ill set it up anyway you want and I can mod it out anyway thats needed - I have set up marks guitars before - so i think I got this! ;)

Just hit me up and Ill get ya all set duder

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

HellRazor1281 wrote:AHart, finally saw your video, sounds really good! Nice tones out of the amp, especially the clean tone. I wanna get my hands on a Roland Cube for practice at home. You actually make me want to dust off my Tremonti SE and keep it even after I buy the Tremonti SE Custom and soup it up!

A little constructive criticism: It was more prevalent when you were demoing the guitar on the clean channel than the distortion, but your timing on some songs is a little off. When I say that I don't mean you have to play it up to CD speed, but maintaining the flow of the song parts you play is sooooo much more important than whether or not you can play it fast. I'm still working on little hangups learning Cry of Achilles, so it happens to the best of us. If you can play with the level of flow you need, eventually the speed will come in the repetition. Sounds really good though!

Question, is there a metronome built into the Spyder you're using? Just curious.
Just read this, thanks man, appreciate the compliment and the constructive criticism, it's definitely something I've worked on since I made the video, been playing for less than three years so that stuff is definitely coming to me through time.

And to answer your question, unfortunately my Spider doesn't have a metronome, it would really come in handy when I practice
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

And I stopped by this thread again to ask the guitarists their opinions on something. I currently have the Black Tremonti SE, and I'm planning on upgrading in the next few months or so. I have my eye on a really sexy gold-top PRS SE 245, but I could also get the Tremonti SE custom for about the same price.

For those of you who have played both, what are some things you noticed when comparing the two (tone, playability, weight, etc) and which would you suggest I get? SE 245 or Tremonti SE Custom?

Thanks a bunch! Looking forward to hearing some responses
Rock Never Dies

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

I haven't played the SE 245, but if you think Les Pauls are too heavy, then I would not get the Tremonti Custom. It's close to the same weight, maybe a little bit lighter but not by much. The tone on the Tremonti SE Custom is really good, but if it were me I would swap out the pickups for the USA models. With the modifications I would want to make to the Custom, or really any PRS SE model, it would jack the price up at least another $300 though just for parts: pups, tuners, nut, maybe even the volume pots. Playability is smooth as silk. It's a PRS after all ;)

BTW, I bought my Roland Cube shortly after I moved to Bethpage, about six weeks ago. It's a beast of a practice amp! I recorded some quick audio clips for my bandmates to get an idea of how it sounds, I wanna redo them though and post them here soon.

Also, far as metronomes are concerned, there are a few free smartphone apps out there. If there's a way for you to plug in an MP3 player to your Spyder, problem solved. If not, Korg makes good metronomes for affordable prices.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

HellRazor1281 wrote:I haven't played the SE 245, but if you think Les Pauls are too heavy, then I would not get the Tremonti Custom. It's close to the same weight, maybe a little bit lighter but not by much. The tone on the Tremonti SE Custom is really good, but if it were me I would swap out the pickups for the USA models. With the modifications I would want to make to the Custom, or really any PRS SE model, it would jack the price up at least another $300 though just for parts: pups, tuners, nut, maybe even the volume pots. Playability is smooth as silk. It's a PRS after all ;)

BTW, I bought my Roland Cube shortly after I moved to Bethpage, about six weeks ago. It's a beast of a practice amp! I recorded some quick audio clips for my bandmates to get an idea of how it sounds, I wanna redo them though and post them here soon.

Also, far as metronomes are concerned, there are a few free smartphone apps out there. If there's a way for you to plug in an MP3 player to your Spyder, problem solved. If not, Korg makes good metronomes for affordable prices.
Thanks for the input man! My brother has the Tremonti Custom and I've played it before, so I have a good idea of what to expect from that guitar. The question was more for info on the SE 245. You're right, it's a PRS, so playability should be great no matter what model. The Tremonti is a bit too heavy (weight) for my taste, so that's an edge for the 245. It also looks better than the Tremonti Custom, IMO. The only thing left to judge is the tone, which I'm kind of in the dark when it comes to the 245, can't get a good idea from youtube videos. For me, the choice is pretty clear.

And I had just recently figured out how to plug in an MP3 into the amp, which has really helped
Rock Never Dies

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

what's the price on the SE 245 and does it come with the trem system?

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

HellRazor1281 wrote:what's the price on the SE 245 and does it come with the trem system?
$630 and I don't think so, I'd have to double check though
Rock Never Dies

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

so I just bought the Tremonti SE Custom in Tobacco Burst, and it's AWESOME! I'm going to refrain from posting photos or audio until I can get the USA pickups, replace the nut, and get it set up for the tuning my band and I play in (Drop C) - should take a few weeks to get the funds scrounged together to get that all taken care of. So excited though, I'll be able to take this and my Goldtop on the road with me for my band's first tour.