Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
AllC392Was
Formerly Cthree921811

Re: Alter Bridge/Creed/Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List

Post by AllC392Was »

This is an awesome thread!

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Post by The DIsposable Hero »

I was looking back at this thread and I just noticed that I messed up on the Open B5 tuning note names. It had said (B E B E B B) instead of (B F# B F# B B). So I thought I'd update that haha.

I also wanted to let you guys know that when the second Tremonti album drops I am going to update this thread with those songs! I will try my best to scavenge info and analyze the songs when they come out, but if any one of you guys want to help out in this effort as well I certainly won't refuse.

Thanks everyone for the love this thread has gotten, I really appreciate it!
Hey there, I'm the guy who started the Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List. Check it out!

Dakota C. (The Disposable Hero)

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Isn't Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad in E Standard?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Dolo wrote:Isn't Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad in E Standard?
I thought it was in E Standard for a while as well, but I figured out it was in Eb Standard after watching this concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb0DvLDK2vY

If you go to 23:35, he plays the fast riff from Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad. Shortly after that, using the same guitar, the band goes into Down to My Last, which is definitely in Eb Standard.

Compared to a link to the studio version of Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_EZHjgV4OI), I came to the conclusion that it was in Eb Standard. :)
Hey there, I'm the guy who started the Mark Tremonti Tuning Master List. Check it out!

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

I think ARTS is in standard mainly because it woudn't be the same scale in flat. Also the magazine it was done in didn't list any alternate tunings for it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

The DIsposable Hero wrote:
If you go to 23:35, he plays the fast riff from Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad. Shortly after that, using the same guitar, the band goes into Down to My Last, which is definitely in Eb Standard.
They might have played it in Eb live (just as they do Waters Rising in drop C as opposed to the original C#) but the studio version is in E. Mark wouldn't have tuned down because there is no vocals, I think.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Besides my cross-analysis, I'm hearing low Eb notes, so I'm sticking to the Eb tuning on the list.

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

With the Fret12 Facebook page posting the setlist for the Tremonti II listening party tonight is plenty of new additions to the tuning list! And new tunings!

HellRazor1281
TABN.com Citizen

Post by HellRazor1281 »

The DIsposable Hero wrote:Besides my cross-analysis, I'm hearing low Eb notes, so I'm sticking to the Eb tuning on the list.
Agreed. Compared the root notes of the rhythm to the bridge for Cry of Achilles, which is all Eb power chords. It's in Eb tuning.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

HellRazor1281 wrote:
The DIsposable Hero wrote:Besides my cross-analysis, I'm hearing low Eb notes, so I'm sticking to the Eb tuning on the list.
Agreed. Compared the root notes of the rhythm to the bridge for Cry of Achilles, which is all Eb power chords. It's in Eb tuning.
Granted I'm not great with sheet music but doesn't the notes on the staff coincide with what would be in standard. Also they have the first chord listed as E5 when in flat it would be D#5. Mind you I'm going by the magazine.

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Jhenrid wrote:
HellRazor1281 wrote:
Granted I'm not great with sheet music but doesn't the notes on the staff coincide with what would be in standard. Also they have the first chord listed as E5 when in flat it would be D#5. Mind you I'm going by the magazine.
It *would*, but I know many magazines and tab books refer to what the notes would be in standard in their notation and description.

Take for example, this tab of Sad but True. Everyone and their mother knows that song is played in D Standard. But in the notation, they refer to the A power chord as an A5. In reality, since the guitar is tuned down a whole step, it's a G5. Same thing with the E power chord. Notated as an E5, but is actually a D5.

This ties in with musicians explaining techniques in real life. If I were in DGCFAD, and I was saying to someone to do a unison bend on the 14th fret of the 3rd string to the high A note, I wouldn't say, "bend a whole step on the 14th fret of the F string." People would be confused. I would say, "bend a whole step on the 14th fret of the G string."

Hope this clears things up. Use your ear and don't necessarily trust the tab book/magazine unless you can prove it is 100% right!

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

I understand that for most tings but I'm under the impression that he would've wrote the tab or at the very least told them how it was played. The song specifically written from them so it would make sense he would tell them how it was played.

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

So I've figured to add a few more songs from Cauterize to the list, namely Fall Again, Sympathy, Providence, Dark Trip and Tie the Noose. The first two are officially confirmed by Mark Tremonti on Twitter (go look at his tweets with replies, you'll find them. I don't feel like linking them right now.), and Providence I'm 95% sure it's in Open B5 (the harmonics in the fingerpicked intro give it away to me) but it's unconfirmed.

Fall Again is in Double Drop D tuned down half a step, Tie the Noose and Dark Trip are in Drop B and Sympathy is in Drop D (DADGBE) shockingly enough!

When more comes in of what the tunings are, I will update the list accordingly.

Dakota C.

The Disposable Hero

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

Ahavo Rabo is in Eb

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I would say Flying Monkeys is in Drop C# anyway. If you look at the intro of this live footage:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/UqGr-SuG3BY[/youtube]

For the first chord he stretches his fingers as for the Drop C# version. We would have to spread them uncomfortably wide to execute that in standard tuning. I could be wrong of course.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

The DIsposable Hero
Bought The CDs

Here's some proof that I have found that says that Flying Monkeys is in C# Standard:

Mark's setlist from the original listening party back in January says Flying Monkeys is in C# Standard.

This tweet from Mark Tremonti himself has him saying that it's in C# Standard.

And this last bit of proof is nothing official but when I jam out to this song on my guitar, I typically play the chorus chords like this:

Code: Select all

C#|--0--0--0--0----|
G#|--0--0--0--0----|
E |--2--4--4--3----|
B |--3--6--5--4----|
F#|--3--6--5--4----|
C#|--1--4--3--2----|
So yeah, the first two things of proof are pretty damn official, if I do say so myself. :)

BastiMix
Loyal Follower

Post by BastiMix »

Maybe he plays it differently live. If you play along with the video posted above, you notice in the chorus that it's can't be standard, it would be too high. Plus, in the main riff he plays both the E and A strings open which only sounds accurately in a drop tuning. So even if he said it was standard C#, my money is on drop C#.
Please give them a like :)

mockingbird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mockingbird »

He plays Flying Monkeys with the same guitar after The Things I've Seen. So...?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

mockingbird wrote:He plays Flying Monkeys with the same guitar after The Things I've Seen. So...?
The Things I've Seen is originally in D Standard but since Mark tunes live along with his voice, he may lower it down to C#, and then Disposable Hero is right and Flying Monkeys is in C# Standard.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

Good job with the list man, very handy for learning the songs.